Tatonka 19-Jan-15
cityhunter 19-Jan-15
AndyB 20-Jan-15
welka 08-Feb-15
Elkman52 08-Feb-15
ohiohunter 09-Feb-15
IdyllwildArcher 09-Feb-15
16-Nov-14
I have a torn rotator cuff very difficult to draw my bow. What's the lowest draw weight for elk.I shoot a 29" arrow total weight w/ broadhead 100 grain muzzy, 400grains.Thanks.

16-Nov-14
Check with the state you plan on hunting. I think colorado is 35# just check minum legal draw weight for that state there all different. when going to low pondage reconsider broadband type cut on contact and 2 blade like Magnus stingers or others like these seem to penetrate better. Some 3 blade cut on contact or good to. Study up on arrow wieght and broadhead for low pondage.

16-Nov-14
Check with the state you plan on hunting. I think colorado is 35# just check minum legal draw weight for that state there all different. when going to low pondage reconsider broadband type cut on contact and 2 blade like Magnus stingers or others like these seem to penetrate better. Some 3 blade cut on contact or good to. Study up on arrow wieght and broadhead for low pondage.

16-Nov-14
get your rotator cuff fixed very soon and you will be ready for next season with out having to worry about your bow, You know you are going to have to do it sooner or later,, sooner is better

16-Nov-14
Change that head to a cut on contact stinger and you'll be fine.

16-Nov-14
Shot placement is also something to consider even more than normal, nothing but brodside inside of 25 yards. Just my two cents.

16-Nov-14
Thanks for the info.I may have surgery on the shoulder after deer season. In Alabama that would be in Feb.I'm shooting 55 lbs now. Kinda tough.

17-Nov-14
I agree with Howler (lol) sbschindler that is. Get it foxed NOW. Or as soon as possible.

Aside from the laws you want to kill elk AND find it right? 50 lbs would do it but just consider the obvious... know your limitations. No long shots. Keep your shots to 30 yards and you'll be fine. Surely you're not going to let that shoulder go an entire year right? And you don't want surgery just prior to the season right? Hurry up and shoot that Alabama deer and get it over with. I hear Alabama deer and turkeys are easy anyway. (grin)

17-Nov-14
I was dealing with a rotator cuff impingement this fall so I was shooting my bow at 56 lbs. Had a complete passthru on a large bull elk at 30 yards broadside. 29"dl, 420 grain arrow, 3 blade Wac'em Triton broadhead.

17-Nov-14
you're showing your age Mule Power

17-Nov-14
Had surgery June 16th. It takes months to properly heal and if you rush it you can really be done I I missed this season but should br ok for next year don't delay Lewis

17-Nov-14
No reason you can't kill an elk with a 50# compound- the trad guys do it.

But you won't do well with a 400 gr arrow and inefficient head

17-Nov-14
we have a 16 year old kid in our camp, this year, that the last three years he has killed a bull with a 35 pound compound bow with one arrow each. shot em all in the lungs and the arrows buried up to the fletchings. I would not hesitate to shoot a 35 pound bow if that is what you need to be able to hunt.

17-Nov-14
You'll be fine with surgery in February. I had work done on Feb 28th this year and was shooting in June. It was a tough road but it's possible with diligent rehab.

17-Nov-14
Having my surgery Jan 23rd. Bow hunting been tough this year, but will be ready next year.

19-Nov-14
Tore my left labrum and rotator cuff work working on a heavy patient (300lb football player) back in February 2013 and I thought my archery season was over for 2013!! It was that bad!! Did a lot of resting, ice, and rehab, as I know the drill. Out of the blue I got invited to private land elk hunt in Montana so I put in for the tag thinking I had no chance to draw! Well, I did draw the darn tag so the search went on to figure out what poundage bow I could draw with a very weak left shoulder drawing with a good right shoulder. (This may be different for you and will effect everything)! So I bought a cheap 50lb pound bow and lowered it to 40lbs and started shooting. Within two weeks I was up to 50lbs and could shoot 10-12 arrows in a row. Fast forward to August and I went looking for the easiest 60lb bow I could find to draw with my limited strength. The PSE Vendetta filled the bill nicely as was butter to draw. Got her tuned up and was shooting 300 Black Eagle Carnivores tipped with razor sharp VPA cut on contact 125 gn heads for a total arrow weight around 425 grains. Fast forward to the first day of my elk hunt as I was presented with a 33yd broadside shot on a massive 6X6 and I got easy/ complete penetration. As matter of fact, I never found the arrow. Bull piled up within 60yds and what a sight it was!! I am totally done shooting bows over 70lbs!

PS: Had my shoulder arthroscopically repaired in Dec 2013 and have never looked back. Was back shooting my traditional bows and compound bows and it was the best decision I could have made!

20-Nov-14
Indians killed them with far less powerful weapons then you can handle. That said more is better. You can but you will need to wait for the front leg to swing forward (broadside).

19-Jan-15
Just getting caught up here on my reading.....

I watched a tv show where Ted Nugent's son killed a huge bull moose with a 50 lb. bow... Can't recall how far the shot was or what he used for a broadhead, but the bull only went a short distance before dropping...

19-Jan-15
U only need to enter chest cavity more nd more men are shooting girl weight :> HEHE

20-Jan-15
Fred Eichler accomplished the North American "GrandSlam" (all North American big game) with a 53# recurve bow which is equivalent to maybe a 40#???compound. I believe he used arrows that weighed in at about 500 grains.

08-Feb-15
Consider using the ole Winn's Free Flight release as it will allow you to pull back 5-10# more with same or less effort from your shoulder. Had to do it 3 years ago due to a damaged shoulder. I am at 64# with a Hoyt Carbon Element. Easy and smooth to pull back. Good luck.

08-Feb-15
I remember years ago a guy shot one of the top bulls all time in N Mexico with a 45 pd recurve.Whats that equal to a 30# compound LOL

09-Feb-15
If I were nursing a shoulder I'd really take a look at the new mathews no cam. What bow are you pulling 55lb and its giving you issues? Light poundage or not, a shitty draw cycle isn't fun.

Shoulders take forever to heal, if they even heal. SO I'd take any and all precautions not to re-injure it. I know most don't like the sound of the 1k$ hit the bow cost but if it is serving more than one purpose and keeping you in the field, by all means at least entertain the idea.

09-Feb-15
Killed both my elk with what some consider "low draw wt."

Roosy raghorn at 50 lbs, 29 inch draw, 26 yd shot quartered away.

American elk 6x6 at 52 lbs, 29.5 inch draw, 42 yd shot broadside.

Both with Muzzy 3 blades, arrow in the 430-440 grain range.

Both pass throughs.

I have no reason to believe you couldn't go lower than 50, but some states require 50.

Modern compounds are powerful. You need proper tune and a sharp COC BH and you should be fine.

Many people who give advice on lower poundage bows have never extensively shot or hunted with a lower poundage bow.

My first year bow hunting I used an ancient Darton set at 40 lbs and passed through deer breaking ribs and sticking into the ground afterwards. Shot a deer with that bow at 35 yards that passed through the deer and stuck in an oak. That Thunderhead is still in that tree.

Back your bow down to 50 lbs and see how it feels. There's actually a pretty big difference in feel between 50 and 55. You might be surprised.

• Sitka Gear