AndyJ 20-Nov-14
Beendare 20-Nov-14
AndyJ 20-Nov-14
wyobullshooter 20-Nov-14
Barrera 20-Nov-14
Barrera 20-Nov-14
mrelite 20-Nov-14
19-Nov-14
After this year's trip to NM, I am now 0 for 5 when it comes to archery elk hunting trips. That has included three guided trips (one to ID and two to NM) and two DIY hunts in NM. I've had chances and actually did hit an elk on my second archery elk hunt, but it was a poor shot and the elk wasn't recovered, unfortunately.

The last two years I've hunted the same unit in NM more or less DIY. The first year was spent getting to know the unit (and I did manage to get into elk almost everyday, with a number of those opportunities being elk in bow range) and the second year I spent more or less refining the knowledge from the first year. I'm at a point where I feel we have the elk figured out in a few areas.

That being said, one of the things that I've continued to struggle with is when to make a move and when to hold off. I've had elk bugling that have gone quiet and rather than push the issue, my thought has been I'm fairly certain I didn't spook them and they should be here later, so back out and save it for the evening or next morning at times. Obviously at some point something has to give. How do you determine when it's that time?

When you decide to make a move, what dictates how fast you move in? I've moved a bit too quick plenty of times and have either been busted by elk that I was chasing or elk that I didn't see. Too slow and you may never catch up to them. Too quick and you bump them. How do you pace yourself?

Obviously I'm talking about elk that you can hear but can't see. I'm curious to hear how some of you approach this.

19-Nov-14
Get in front of them. The area I hunt I know the elk are down in the meadows at night and bed about 1000 ft higher in elevation. So in the morning I pick a canyon and hope that it is the one the elk will be using in the morning. Basically I am letting them come to me. I will move from one side to the other to intercept them.

Terry

19-Nov-14

elkmtngear's Link
Wind behavior, terrain, and time of day are all factors that influence my decision.

If I know the direction they are heading, and I can get on them quickly with available light and a good wind, I will certainly "push the issue". If I'm lacking in any of those variables, I will "drop back and punt", and try to get in a better situation the next day.

The last thing I want to do is blow herds of elk out of the drainages I hunt. Elk numbers and encounters are historically pretty limited on a 10 day hunt.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

19-Nov-14
Basically, 3 things determine whether I'm aggressive or not.

1.) Wind 2.) Wind 3.). Wind

Seriously, wind is that important. Whether they're already nervous, as well as available cover, are a couple other things I'll take into consideration.

You can bet the farm, if the bull wants to play, and conditions are right, I'm going all in!

19-Nov-14
I think it's a matter if feel of when you can move in successfully and when you can't. When you can't move directly in can you skirtor go around and move iin. If those options are not available can you get the wind and call him in. Calling him in might be the first option. Just as situations dictate the effectiveness of getting aggressive moving in, you also will learn to recognise when calling is most effective...solo bulls looking for cows. Contrary to what some might believe, you can learn when to get aggressive and what to look for by hunting other animals besides elk...turkeys are one of the best teachers because like elk, you have the calling option and the stalking option....it's very close to the same.

19-Nov-14
Two mistakes I see all the time (and made by me even at times) are:

1. Calling while moving in on a bull. The bull (and cows if present) almost always shut up and/or move away or maintain the same separation distance as they hear you approach while calling. Get in close first, or have someone stay back and call enough to keep the bull bugling while you move in silently for a shot, or get in closer to call.

2. Trying to call in a herd bull with cow calls. Though it sometimes works on smaller bulls or smaller groups of elk, it almost never works near the main herd/herd bull (though you can call in satellites for sure in the right circumstances). If you do manage to get in close to the main herd, aggressive bull sounds are the way to go. The herd bull and most of the other elk in the herd pay little attention to cow calling because there are so many elk all around, and the herd bull is not concerned with other cows (which definitely are on the fringes of the main herd along with satellites and spikes).

The trick though is figuring out what type of bull you hear, and that can be tough sometimes.

Good luck!

20-Nov-14
I'm aggressive when I hunt elk. I push the envelope and more times than not it works out.

20-Nov-14
Wind and cover... And even with those in your favor you're still gonna likely screw it up. So you move on to the next one!

20-Nov-14
In NM, I rarely back out unless there isn't enough daylight remaining to give me a plausible chance to get my shot. As others have said, get on the right side of the wind. If the wind is swirling (as it often is) I hang back, but I still don't back out. If/when the wind stabilizes you can set up to call (often I'll only rake at this point), set-up and wait or proceed with a stalk depending on the situation.

If you back out, one of two things is going to happen:

1) You're going to return to the area and the elk will be gone. It could be that other hunters pushed them out, or that the bull simply left the area. 2) The bull will still be there, and you'll still be facing the exact situation you backed out of. If the bull hung up before, he'll probably hang up again. What to do now?....back out again?

If I know the general location of a bull I want to shoot the only thing that makes me want to get farther from him is sketchy wind currents. Save bad winds, my goal as a bowhunter is always to get CLOSER....never farther away.

20-Nov-14
I am very aggressive and most successful hunters are - assuming you have more elk to hunt. What I mean is if you are in a so so unit and just finding elk is tough, and there are not to many other hunters to spook your elk, then wait until things are right.

In general though I feel most new elk hunters, especially guys from east use to whitetails, need to be 10 times as aggressive.

I know I was way to timid at first, they are not whitetails there are far less nervous.

20-Nov-14
Really the only time I don't move in is if its getting dark and I won't make it in time or if its getting to late in the morning and the wind is about to switch. Otherwise, I'm going for it

20-Nov-14
I could +just about everything here.

But I will especially +1 alce's comment from top to bottom especially this comment:

"The trick though is figuring out what type of bull you hear, and that can be tough sometimes."

I think this is one of the most important aspects of hunting bulls and it is almost impossible to explain. You have to have a lot of bull encounters to know what kind of bull you are dealing with.

As far as being aggressive, all my kills have been from being very aggressive and getting in front of the bull. I move toward the bull at a run to close the distance, a fast walk when I think he is with 100 yards and a snails pace when I think I am about to see him or his cows.

If you are behind a walking elk, it depends on the situation, but I typically let him go. Your odds of not only catching him, but getting in front of him are really low. That said, it depends on the situation.

Learn what a lip bawl bugle sounds like. That bugle usually means he has cows. When a bull has cows, he will be the last one in line so remember, however far away you think the bull is, the cows will be alert and probably 20-30 yards closer, maybe more, maybe less.

And as has been stated WIND, WIND, WIND!!!!! You will NEVER beat it and you will NEVER beat an elks nose!

20-Nov-14
All great advice so far. I've learned quite a bit on the elk hunts I've been on already and there's no replacement for the actual experience. This last year there were a few mornings where I had three separate Bulls bugling on a ridge above me (less than 500 yards away I'd guess) but they shut up at about 7:30 am. Figured I'd put me to bed and make a play on them later when I had a better idea where they were. Well, you guessed it, they were no where to be found later. There were other situations that I could have been more aggressive when moving in on them as the elk vanished on me again. Some of it likely stems from the fact that I've bumped my fair share of elk moving in on them (or trying to get in front of them, you name it), and I've been with guys who have killed A LOT of elk and watched them do it too.

I tend to layoff on the calls after the elk have been located to try and keep my presence a secret. Most guys I know or have read about that kill big elk tend to say the same thing -- you're unlikely to kill a herd bull calling him in and the best way is to sneak in and wait for him to make a mistake (and I've seen this technique work firsthand). I've had cows and small Bulls in range the last couple of years but was holding off for something bigger.

It's a tricky thing moving in on elk you can't see, especially when they start herding up cows. It's that blend of controlled aggression that yoj need to find a balance of. What I've learned is that it's not easy, and some of the best in the business struggle with it as well at times! But keep the advice coming, I like hearing everyone's perspectives!

20-Nov-14
Yep, moving in is always the challenge...factor that even when everything appears perfect...stuff happens.

Seems to me most rookies aren't aggressive enough when further out than say 100 yds.

Every scenario is different- draw unit with target rich environment, OTC with maybe one shot opportunity in a week...then there is the terrain variations. i don't think anyone can make a blanket statement on what is best in every scenario. in fact i see some friends rigid in their strategy...and thats bad, you have to be flexible. Learning elk tendencies..and knowing the specifics about your area including hunter pressure- a bigge- will dictate my strategy.

Pretty vague..but hope that helps

20-Nov-14
"you have to be flexible"

BINGO!!! Beendare just gave you the secret to elk hunting. It's kind of the problem with all these threads. We all give advice based on what we have done, but every elk season I find myself doing things that work that I have never heard of. There are exceptions to every rule. It is good to have a baseline as to what to do, but don't get caught in a fixed strategy. Be willing to change tactics to fit the situation. If you never heard of someone doing what you are about to do...GREAT! Maybe that is why it will work, but it also might be the only time in your hunting career that it works.

Elk are not a math problem. You can't just plug in tactics and solve for x ...although sometimes you can.

20-Nov-14
Andy, if I knew the secret to elk hunting I would have tagged out my 2 neophyte buddies this year vs. many missed opportunities

20-Nov-14
Beendare- Knowing the secret doesn't guarantee you an elk. As you know, there are no guarantees in hunting.

20-Nov-14
"i don't think anyone can make a blanket statement on what is best in every scenario. in fact i see some friends rigid in their strategy...and thats bad, you have to be flexible."

Truer words have never been spoken. People will post what has worked for them in the past. That's why every Bowsite "What would you do" thread will have a multitude of answers. Example is alse recommending not to use cow calls and relying mostly on aggressive bull calls. I guarantee, Bigdan would recommend the same thing. I, on the other hand, have had great success relying mostly on mews and young bull squeals. Neither is wrong...both are right. However, what works today may or may not work tomorrow.

"It is good to have a baseline as to what to do, but don't get caught in a fixed strategy. Be willing to change tactics to fit the situation."

Every elk hunter would be wise to follow those words of advice as well. We all have a tendency to fall into the trap of wanting to use the exact same strategy that has brought us success in the past. Nothing wrong with that, unless we become prisoners of the past. Every elk is different, and every elk encounter is different as well. Try what's worked in the past at first, but don't hesitate to change if that doesn't work. Don't be afraid to think outside the box. There is nothing I enjoy more than calling bulls in close for that in-your-face experience. However, I also know that conditions aren't always ideal for that, so I adjust what I "want" to do, to what I "need" to do. In other words, BE FLEXIBLE! I've killed 1/4 of my elk out of a treestand. Lou (Jaquomo) has had great success using a decoy hat. Elk are going to be elk. You have to adjust to them, not the other way around.

I know it's a worn out statement, but it is so true...you are a part-time hunter trying to kill a full-time elk. Don't think that just because you haven't closed the deal, you're doing everything wrong. Hell, I've been bowhunting elk for 30yrs, with a couple dozen elk under my belt, and there isn't a year that goes by I don't ask myself "What the heck were you thinking?"...and "I've been doing this HOW LONG!"

Learn from your mistakes and keep plugging along. Some just have to "pay their dues" a little longer than others. Learn from your mistakes, and sooner rather than later, we'll be looking at a "hero" pic of you on the elk meatpole. Good luck!

20-Nov-14
A lot of info so far and could help or make you think too much into a situation. I hunt NM and started bow hunting elk in 2012 and didn't draw this year. I've had great success. I dont over cow call and rarely bugle only to locate. I have had great success stocking elk from above and love hunting thick country. They bugle all day if your not hearing them then your just not close enough to hear them. In the last three years my 10 yr son is 2 for 2, one cow and one bull. I'm 1 for 2. All Diy hunts on public land. As for wind I don't let it dictate my approach cause it's constantly changing. Main goal is getting a arrow in him. This is my sons bull on a public adult hunt.

20-Nov-14

Barrera's embedded Photo
Barrera's embedded Photo
A lot of info so far and could help or make you think too much into a situation. I hunt NM and started bow hunting elk in 2012 and didn't draw this year. I've had great success. I dont over cow call and rarely bugle only to locate. I have had great success stocking elk from above and love hunting thick country. They bugle all day if your not hearing them then your just not close enough to hear them. In the last three years my 10 yr son is 2 for 2, one cow and one bull. I'm 1 for 2. All Diy hunts on public land. As for wind I don't let it dictate my approach cause it's constantly changing. Main goal is getting a arrow in him. This is my sons bull on a public adult hunt.

20-Nov-14
Great info above,

Elk hunting is just like a game of chess, you have to secretly be aggressive and always on the offensive, moving and luring your adversary into a trap.

Like others have said, you have to plan an attack based on whats in front of you whether you can see them or not, opponents are rarely the same but generally have the same tendencies. The more you are around elk the more you will know their tendencies and the more successful you will be.

It's also important not to stress out when a stalk doesn't work, you have to just put it in the back of your mind and move on, after time it becomes your gut hunch or feeling which you should never disregard.

• Sitka Gear