mnbowhunter 30-Nov-14
IdyllwildArcher 30-Nov-14
jims 30-Nov-14
Bill in MI 30-Nov-14
bigeasygator 30-Nov-14
WapitiBob 30-Nov-14
The Old Sarge 30-Nov-14
29-Nov-14
what are the best states to start applying for bonus points. Want to pick 2 states and start applying for points to have a chance at a big bull. What states to pick?

29-Nov-14
Guess it depends on what you mean by have a chance. Utah and Arizona are probably the top two states for big Bulls and bonus points. You'll likely be waiting a long time to cash those points in tho!

29-Nov-14
I would like the opportunity at a 350 plus bull. How many years is the wait and what do the points cost?

29-Nov-14
Each state is a little different in regard to their pref/bonus pt system. Some states like Colo you can hunt OTC elk every year. However, you likely won't have a chance in your lifetime of drawing a limited tag in the best Colo limited units that take max pref pts to draw.

One thing to consider is NV, UT and other states you have to buy an expensive hunting license just to apply for bonus pts. At $100 to $200/year to apply it will cost $1,000 to $2,000 to apply in those states for 10 years....plus the cost of the license if you draw. It is getting more and more expensive to apply with tougher and tougher draw odds each year for high demand tags. Most quality tags take a lifetime to draw so be prepared to spend a lot of $ with poor draw odds. Unfortunately this is the sad truth for new hunters just starting out.

30-Nov-14
What do you consider a 'big bull'?

30-Nov-14
Wyoming is the easiest to apply for bonus points. 50 bucks for the point

30-Nov-14
He just said he wanted a chance at a 350 inch bull.

In all honesty, if you want a tag for a unit that consistently produces 350 inch bulls, then Wyoming with private land payed access is probably going to end up being the fastest.

If that's honestly your goal though, then applying in just two states isn't the way to go about it. You should apply in UT, WY, AZ, NM, and NV and in 15 years (maybe less, maybe more) you should reliably have 1-2 chances in a zone that produces 350 inch bulls. Add another 10 yrs on to that and you should have had a number of good tags.

How much are you willing to spend each year on your applications and for how long? Those 5 states are going to run you a little under $500/yr (roughly) to apply for just elk, but in some of them, you can add on other species for just a few more dollars.

If you just want to shoot one big elk and be done with it, you're probably better off paying for private land access in any number of places that have large parcels of private land that manage the elk on their property for trophy bulls.

30-Nov-14
I would agree with Idyllwildarcher that private land offers the quickest way to hunt trophy elk. At $200 to $500/year to apply in several states you can see how it may be a better option to upfront the $ and pay to hunt private land where you can purchase a landowner tag or fairly easy draw units that are almost entirely private land. The chance for drawing limited units with 350+ potential are getting tougher and tougher each year. The odds of harvesting a 350+ bull in even the best units with bow are fairly low so after waiting so may years for a tag there is a pretty good chance you may go home with tag soup!

I'm getting to the point that I've started eliminating out of state draws because it is getting so expensive. I've started doing other trips that I don't need to draw such as fishing, Alaska, turkeys, etc.

30-Nov-14
Even if you hold out for an AZ PREMIER archer elk tag 15-25 years perhaps wait, you are by no means assured of seeing a true 350 class within range and that unit prob has one of the highest trophy densities anywhere. So a reality check might be in order.

If I had the cash an annual NM landowner tag somewhere in the Gila will prob get you there (encounter odds wise) sooner. Otherwise start playing the points games in AZ, UT, WY.

My last thought is getting on a MT private land hunt annually somewhere within 75 miles of the Missouri breaks.

30-Nov-14
All good advice on here. I forgot NV which is another great big bull state. I will reiterate what others have said on here. One, even in the best units a 350" bull may not be easy to come by. Second, it's likely going to take 10+ years to have any chance of drawing those tags. It'll cost you a few hundred bucks annually to buy your points, and some states have a requirement that you buy a hunting license with those bonus points (NV and AZ) come to mind. If your buying a license in NV and AZ it makes sense to buy points for other species as its pretty cheap to do so. Some states require you to float the tag fees as well and this could be $500-1000 up front. The states will hold onto that for a few months before you are reimbursed.

30-Nov-14
Hunter42, take one state, and a top unit in that state, divide the bonus tags into the total apps for that unit and you'll have the number of years it will take going forward to draw that tag from the max point pool. Continue for other units and states and you'll have a good idea of the time it will take, starting today. Understand that things aren't static and tags/applicants will change over time.

Then look at how these units distribute random tags and estimate your "luck" factor. If you're real lucky you could draw a random tag the first year. If your luck sucks, plan on waiting the number of years you calculated above.

30-Nov-14
Idaho doesn't have points OR 350 bulls. :0)

• Sitka Gear