Swamp Buck 05-Dec-14
GBTG 05-Dec-14
coelker 05-Dec-14
Labby 08-Dec-14
cnelk 08-Dec-14
LUNG$HOT 09-Dec-14
Jaquomo 09-Dec-14
04-Dec-14
Have hunted Colorado elk in the past, usually Sept. 16th thru Sept 26th or so..planning this falls' trip, and wanted to hear pros and cons on the best ten day stretch to Bowhunt and why? Thanks it will help in my planning. Northwestern Colorado, DIY archery elk.

04-Dec-14
While CO crowds might change the dynamic, my favorite days are the 13th to the 23rd for catching the rut and less of the crowd, if I had to pick 10 days.

Some guys like the opener for unpressured elk or for catching newly pressured elk making predictable movements.

Some guys like the last 10 days because of the bugling activity.

I think it depends on where you're going. There's also the luck factor as regards unpredictable weather changes.

In WY 2 seasons ago, they were screaming when we got there on the 14th. This past season in WY, we didn't hear a bugle till the 17th.

04-Dec-14
it depends on your hunting style and skills . I hunted one whole sept few years back ! didn't start to hear bugles to the 11th I have good fortune 23to28

04-Dec-14
15-25 would be my days. Anytime in sept is good. HUNT

04-Dec-14
Flip a coin...seriously. Some years early is great. Some years it is the exact opposite so I guess shoot for the middle of the season.

04-Dec-14
The first part of Sept. is usually the best in my 30 years of guiding bow elk hunters, as the bulls are more concentrated, undisturbed and if you find this concentration you will hear plenty of bugling action. We have taken most of our biggest bulls on the first part of Sept. as the herd bulls are still gathering and more friendly and the big satellite bulls come in easier.

Just because you are hearing more bulls bugle towards the latter part of Sept. doesn't equal success. Our four fully guided bow hunters on our first season went 4 for 4 and our 5 drop camp hunters went 3 for 5 the first season here in NM. You can't argue with success.

04-Dec-14
I like the second half of Sept.

04-Dec-14

wyobullshooter's Link
As Andy says, it can be a crapshoot and can definitely change from year to year. Here's a thread from a few years ago that has some good info.

04-Dec-14
15-25 would be my days.

But Stoney makes some very valid points about hunting earlier.

04-Dec-14
12th thru 25th has been good to me. But' I've killed elk on the first day of the season. A lot depends the method you use to have nt them!

04-Dec-14
Depends where you are. Lots of people take the last two weeks, which can make for crowds. Some spots have more elk the first two weeks, before the rut starts. Some other spots have lots of elk the day the season starts, but they quickly get pushed onto private land.

If I had only one week in most of CO, I'd hunt the last week. Or the second week.

05-Dec-14
How about this: Ask people if you had to pick just one day to hunt elk what day would it be?

I'd say the 21st.

05-Dec-14
You guys are talking about Colorado. How about Montana. I have a chance to hunt with a co-workers son that lives in Montana. We will be driving from Pa. What would you say about the time frame.

05-Dec-14
18th would be my day Joe. HUNT

05-Dec-14
Here is the deal:

If you are familiar with and know your area well, and know where the elk will be during the early part of the season that can be a great time to get after the herd bulls and call them in or sit and wait them out. It is also hotter (generally) earlier which can also play a role in your game plan.

If you are not, and need to rely on bugling to locate them the second half will be your best bet. If you can't locate elk you can't hunt elk. It is also colder and chances of inclement weather is also a risk you need to plan for.

I like that you are planning a two week trip instead of a one week trip. One week is just now long enough to get it done and the chances of weather ruining your trip are far greater.

Good luck with your decision. As stated above, any time is a great time in the back country bow hunting elk.

05-Dec-14
Swamp Buck X2

05-Dec-14
Which ever ones you can take. This question gets asked all the time and every year the answer can be different. 2 years ago opening weekend I had more rut and bugling activity than any other year. this year opening weekend, nothing. 6 years ago I had full on rut activity the week before season started. 3 years ago never heard a single bugle. It is virtually impossible to say what will be better. I always like early because the elk have not been pushed as much and there are fewer hunters. I know others who prefer later due to cooler temps and longer daylight hours of active elk.

Pick the time that works best and go hunt. There is no magic, just a lot of luck!

08-Dec-14
Any time after the 10 the but not the full moon period

08-Dec-14
I have shot a few elk on one day hunts. Pick a day and go hunt. It helps to only be 2 hours away too

09-Dec-14
As said already it changes from year to year. I prefer the first two weeks for the exact reasons that Stoney mentioned. It boils down to personal preference.

09-Dec-14
Mule Power, Sept 3 in an early spot, where the big bachelor bulls summer.

Sept 10 in a different spot when the rut is cranking up and the herd bulls have joined up with cows where the cows have been summering.

September 15-28th in another spot where the elk go after being pressured by bowhunters for two weeks and opening weekend of ML season.

The early spot doesn't have many elk later, and the later spots aren't worth hunting early.

Don't assume that because you aren't hearing bugles that there aren't elk there. In my late spot, they don't bugle much after being pressured, but they are there and come in silently to calls. They just quietly go about their business of rutting in peace.

Moon phase is not even a consideration on my list of variables. It's all about rut phase and hunter pressure. Like coelker advises, just go when you can and figure out your area on the fly. That's why it's important to be mobile and flexible instead of tying yourself to one spot.

• Sitka Gear