Ole Coyote 30-Dec-14
Amoebus 30-Dec-14
Fuzzy 31-Dec-14
Hoot 31-Dec-14
midwest 31-Dec-14
bowhunter 01-Jan-15
midwest 01-Jan-15
06-Dec-14
We all know to well that hunting is a lot of mental challenges more than physical. Here's my mental / physical challenge. You must find a trail on an incline with a minimum of 7-10 miles with a backpack minimum weight of 25 pounds. This challenge must be done on a daily basis no time off regardless of weather conditions. This should help overcome our mental challenges.. Now who's in?

06-Dec-14
don't have the time to hike 10 miles a day for a month straight. Tough to do if employed.

06-Dec-14
If you find me some hills where I live I'm in!

06-Dec-14
My friend and I hike a 2.5 mile trail(one way) with a 1400'elivation climb 3x week,year round with backpacks. To be honest I've tried to go a week straight multiple times and typically after 4 straight days I start to burn out. I don't think 95% of the guys here could do what you're asking for even 4-5 days let alone a month. You could do it while hunting because you have all day to cover the ground but to me training for short periods of time is totally different,plus who has 3-4 hours a day to hike?

Did you just read something by Cameron Hanes? Ha!

06-Dec-14
Doing the exact same thing, day after day, for extended periods is what causes chronic injuries. I would hope that everyone's off season training programs are designed to prevent against chronic injuries.

Heck, even my German Wirehair needs days off here and there.

06-Dec-14
I'm all about the mental part. Navy Seal type training. Self inflicted torture. lol Fill a 55 gallon drum with water and ice and sit in it for as long as you can every day... then a little longer. I guess you could wear a backpack if you want. :-)

Tell your wife you don't want anything for dinner but Mountain House meals for a couple months.

Don't shower all summer.

Sleep on the floor from now until your hunt.

Go hunt deer.... where there are none. ha ha

Things like that.

Heck... once you hear a bugle or spot a big bull you'll be able to run up a hill with your partner on your back so no need to train for that right?

06-Dec-14
Ok, I guess my challenge is overwhelming, better yet challenge yourselves to do something everyday for 30 days.

06-Dec-14
not at all how about getting thrown in back country with limited food no water no phone no weapons no change of clothes no toothbrush no TP !stay there for 7 days

06-Dec-14
Most hunters these days are hand held !!! guides even to take them to the airport hahaha

06-Dec-14
"Guides even to take them to the Airport"

Oh no.....Does my wife count as a guide?....She is always trying to hold my hand and tell me what to do so she must be!

06-Dec-14
NO TP! City you are hardcore. You could have your own tv show. One of those deals where you have to consume your own urine to avoid total dehydration. No wonder the grizzlies run from you man.

06-Dec-14
I did a scaled-down, more realistic version of this last summer, after my hip replacement. For 3 months before elk season, I did 3-5 miles up/down at elevation every other day, varying pack weight between 20-40 lbs. I hiked as fast as I could go. On off days I either biked or rested. One day a week I pushed it a couple miles further.

By season I was able to hunt 6-8 miles a day, day after day for 25 days, no problem. At 60 I see no reason to push it beyond that. I could do the 30 day challenge here where I live, but why?

06-Dec-14
It seems a little over the top, Leonard. You may have a little too much time on your hands. But what better way to spend your time...Go for it!

06-Dec-14
nah, I run 3.5 miles a day 4 days aweek,for 30 mins a run. Im good!

06-Dec-14
I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. My days off I'd rather hunt.

06-Dec-14
I wouldn't want to cut back that much.

06-Dec-14
I can drink beer for the next 30 days straight!!!

Snap I'm already on day 3456

06-Dec-14
I cruise timber almost everyday. Some days I make those distances and elevation changes. Some I don't. It depends on the tract. But, that takes all day. Not 3-4 hours. I leave it is dark. I get home it is dark this time of year.

I hurt somewhere everyday. Been doing it for 20 plus years in awful rough terrain. Three acl's repairs, no cartilage in my left knee, chipped humorous bone in the left knee cap. I'm not doing that challenge. No one here could do that challenge and remain unhurt. Might the first time or two if you are in your early 20's or younger. But, it will catch you quickly if you try it.

Do you work? Have a family? Any real responsibilities? Who has this amount of free time to do this everyday for 30 days? It's one thing two or three times a week but, everyday? Good luck is all I'll say now.

God Bless your knees, feet, ankles, hips, and hip flexer's if you use a 40 pound pack to accomplish it.

06-Dec-14
Lol kellyharris!

When I first moved to the mountains, I did the same 8 mile, 2400 ft elevation gain/loss round trip trail 3 times a week for several months.

I still do the trail today occasionally and it's a gorgeous hike, but doing the same thing over and over is no fun.

I still do a lot of hiking, but the bulk of it is hunting or scouting in the off season. I cant imagine giving up any of that exercise to do the same trail everyday.

06-Dec-14
Not me!

Getting and Staying in Sheep Shape does not require that type of workout in the off season.

December through February simply calls for 'maintenance' mode.

Just don't give your base away!

07-Dec-14
Way to go Lou! Sounds like 60 is the new 50...at the tender age of 44, there's hope for me yet!

07-Dec-14
X2 what JLS and NvaGVUp said.

Bowhunter, you may need 'maintenance' mode or you may need to establish the base but even you did your 30 day challenge you would be wiser to do short hikes with longer hike on weekends.

Developing a habit is a great thing and mental toughness can be derived in lots of ways. Many people think that you have to be disciplined to workout but for true workout types it takes more discipline to not workout for recovery or even doing a light recovery workout.

Mental toughness is often girded with words to fall back on that support the action that you are doing. Some that I can think of are "the silent professionals", "Rangers lead the way", and I will never leave a fallen comrade. One that I use is you cannot kill them on the couch. Remember fatigue makes cowards all and being in shape allows to push your limits and mental toughness is developed outside the boundaries of our limits. Hmmm, "relentless in training unyielding in battle".

As Marcus Lutrell(Lone Survivor) stated he would extend his arms and draw a line and then drag himself to that line.

Sorry to sound like I am preaching but I get into this type of stuff.

At my age of 57 this challenge would be a damn good way to hurt something. If I put in miles like this it would be for the competition phase of training like an elk hunt or sheep hunt.

This may be good challenge closer to the season or maybe a 100 miles in 30 days where you can manage the miles to work for you.

Remember we do not get better from exercise. We get better from recovery from exercise.

07-Dec-14
Bowhunter, not sure how old you are. When I was in my 20s through 40s, I could take the winter and spring "off" but still be in serious elk shape by the end of August. But I was playing competitive basketball and tennis, etc.. too. Back then I could have completed a challenge like that about any time if I had the time and inclination.

Now that I'm older, winter and spring maintenance mode is critical for avoiding overuse injuries later (especially tendons) when we really get serious in the summer and ramp up to the seasons.

Maybe we need a thread about off-season maintenance routines?

07-Dec-14
Rocky and Jaquomo said it best for me. For the aging human, Year long conditioning is the key to a life long hunting body. It takes as much critical off time, to heal, as it does actually working it out. Best way I know to tear a ligament is over doing it at any age or conditioning level. Just saying that if you do this, in the grand scheme, you are doing more harm than good to your body. God Bless

07-Dec-14
Lou,

I used to do the same thing. Thanksgiving through Valentire's Day was my time to gain about 10 or 15 pounds. I would hunt my way into shape.

Now, I like to think I'm a little smarter. I sure feel better!

Bowhunter,

I'm doing a set of P90X3, which has a workout every day. I'll go chukar or pheasant hunting a couple of days a week and run one day also. Does that meet your challenge?

07-Dec-14
Good challenge bowhunter...have you started yet? ;-)

IMO 4-5 miles, every other day is realistic, and plenty. Throw in some strength workouts on the in-between days, and you should be good to go. Just be disciplined enough to always keep that routine going, 12 months a year.

The bigger challenge, speaking for myself, is getting thru the long, cold winter months without piling on pounds from way too much holiday feasting.

07-Dec-14
I would be all for a maintenance mode or workout of the day thread.

I have a short walk from the house that I can do 4-5 times a week with my training pack (30-40#) but it is only 3.44 miles and 450' elevation gain. I do it in the evenings after dark with my dog.

07-Dec-14
Hockey dad, I think that's a great idea! One of my side jobs is a personal trainer so count me in for some workouts on your thread or I can get it started if you want! It can get progressively harder each day and work up for thirty days? It should be things people can do without much equipment.

07-Dec-14
over the Holiday season? Good luck with that!

07-Dec-14
Truckie, I'm in - even over the holidays. I know we have a lot of hard core guys on here. But we also have a lot of guys who 'want to'.

Maybe December is a warm up month (or what remains). It can server as a warmup month that gets people moving and familiar with the routine then start January we can increase it a bit.

If we can leave running out of it I would be grateful. My Knees and shins don't like the pounding. I normally try to do a lot of bodyweight stuff (Squats, lunges, dips) then my walks/hikes or some mountain biking.

You can kick off the thread.

07-Dec-14
No.

07-Dec-14
Hockey dad, I'm open to anything but these are my thoughts. I say we kick it off first of the year. Give me a little time to put some stuff together and get some more ideas. I'll post a teaser thread to get input and see what people want. As for the no running We can make each day have options or levels of intensity. Not everyone will be at the same level and we don't want to include as many people as possible. Again just my thoughts. Look for a thread coming in tonight something with "Fitness" in the title

08-Dec-14
somebody forgot to tell the elk I got that all this is necessary.Now I stay in pretty good shape all year in construction,but I don't feel I need to be a triathelete to elk hunt.I can increase my leg strength and stamina in a couple months before hand You guys have fun.Good thing I'm taking it easy this year with a moose hunt,lol

08-Dec-14
Never understood why some feel the need to cut others down who may like pushing their physical conditioning to higher levels.

08-Dec-14
I am in, but with a few twists. First off I am retired and 72 years old and would have to use my 4wheeler, the 25# is no problem but I live in the Mississippi Delta, no incline here all flat land. Secondly............can I do 5 miles then back for lunch and Judge Judy then the other 5 and is there any reward or prize if I complete the course?

James

08-Dec-14
+ James! :)

The last week of this past season I "packed in" a comfortable camp on my ATV. 9 miles in to the end of a spur at the end of a really rough spur. I hunted on foot from there and never started the ATV until time to go home. Had a great hunt, was into elk every day, didn't see another hunter the whole week, enjoyed a couple of cold beers every evening, chilled in the spring.

Never broke a sweat packing in or out.

Meanwhile, my "way back" minimalist buddies in the wilderness areas spent their time avoiding other hunters and bitching about the crowds where they never saw other hunters in the past.

James, maybe we should start a thread about shoulder, arm, wrist, and thumb workouts for ATV hunters! Sometimes that Japanese Pack Horse is a pretty good deal.

08-Dec-14
Midwest, this is absolutely not directed at you, but it doesn't help that many fitness geeks are a lot like people who drive electric cars, except maybe a little smugger.

08-Dec-14
Lou, I know what you're talking about but I didn't pick up any of that in this thread. Only some uncalled for snide remarks towards a couple of guys trying to inspire others to set a mutual fitness goal.

08-Dec-14
"I can drink beer for the next 30 days straight!!! Snap I'm already on day 3456"

Rookie...(doesn't count if it's light)

08-Dec-14
Well I can see that not to many people are in. 1st didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I'm 49 yrs old retired prison warden and currently teaching HS algebra. I Stay pretty active all year long and work all day. This was more of a mental challenge than physical. I was unaware how you all would react to this challenge. Just thought I throw a challenge out there without getting bashed.

08-Dec-14
I'm not in........will probably be content to rehab from the right knee replacement set for next Tuesday the 16th of December.

I chose the outpatient surgery path, and will walk stairs the day of the surgery before I leave the surgical center.

First goal is to toss the walker aside to get to the cane.

08-Dec-14
I don't think anyone was bashing you Bowhunter, but as you can see from the other fitness thread (Fitness Brainstorm), it's easier to sit around and complain than actually get involved and do something. The other thread is a little more realistic and is looking for honest input from what guys want in a fitness routine. Nobody is responding because the basis of the thread is to improve the Bowhunter, not talk smack, belittle or just throw random BS at a good idea.

If you are up for the challenge you set in the first post, go for it and let us know how you progress.

08-Dec-14
I am not in any way saying this to bash you. However, I am guessing if you do your challenge there is a pretty decent chance your achilles and/or patella tendons or hips will end up in the same condition as your shoulders.

I'm all about mental toughness, but even more so about guarding myself against injuries. Anyone can train hard, it's more important to train smart.

08-Dec-14
bowhunter, I didn't see any bashing, only some good-natured ribbing, which is to be expected on any fitness thread.

The mental and physical challenges are different for everyone. Different for me at 49 than today, ten years later. My fitness routine is different now, as is my hunting style (I actually hunt more miles now than I did back then in my old area, and prep to get an elk out by myself since I've gone solo).

I have to work harder year round to keep in the same shape I could easily get into in a few months at your age. Harder, but smarter, to protect tendons and ligaments.

I admire you for throwing out the challenge, but for all but a rare few, it isn't realistic. Best of luck, though. If you pull it off, you'll either be a monster or broken-down.

08-Dec-14
I wonder how many guides out west put on that many miles or more over rough terrain for a month or more every fall. Guessing quite a few.

08-Dec-14
Sounds like a nice warm-up routine... Now, whose going to provide the real work-out?

Sounds like one heck of a challenge, but I don't have that sort of time. I usually try to do one stretch each winter for 35-40 days straight where I do a minimum of 4 miles running each day and will usually have a handful of days with two workouts. By the end of the stretch I am ready for a break so I take two days off and start my marathon training, which is 5 days/week and seems easy after that. (99% mental.)

08-Dec-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Guessing this is where the 30 day challenge idea came from?

"So, Amy, pictured here with me, from my work, is officially a little beast. She's been hammering hard in the gym for years, but had hit a plateau like everyone does. I told her that all she needed to do mix it up and challenge her body differently is hit the mountain. I said, "just give it 30 days...do Mount Pisgah 2x each day for 30 straight and I promise you'll see and feel a difference." Now this is easier said than done. Because that's 6 miles a day, with 2,200 feet of gain. Everyday. No breaks. Not easy, for anyone. In fact I don't know one person...man, woman or child who has done 2x Pisgah for an entire month without missing even one day. Except for me...my brother Taylor I bet has been close. It takes her about 1 hour and 25 minutes to complete and tonight marked her 30th straight day. 60 summits, 180 miles and while she got physically beat down, sacrificed (even did it on Thanksgiving Day), was freezing cold some days, soaking wet others, she did it. I am so impressed. Amy's dedication is very inspiring. And yes her body, did respond. She says her abs are better than they've ever been and her legs are stronger and more defined. But I'd bet the biggest benefit is mental. I told her at the end of it, if nothing else she'll be a lot tougher. Good job Amy now get back to the gym where it's warm and dry. You served your 30 day sentence on the mountain."

Got to admit...that's a pretty impressive young lady!

08-Dec-14
I usually try to run and do work outs when I can. Work and family are the priority so some days I cant. During winter I will go chase Mtn lions. That's a work out.

08-Dec-14
Midwest, it's a lot fewer than you think. Smart guides let their optics do the hiking for them.

09-Dec-14
I had a buddy who went on a guided elk hunt in western Montana right on the Idaho panhandle border. The area was thick and steep. No good glassing areas, just cover ground checking wallows and chasing bugles. My buddy said he could barely move his legs (literally) after the first day. The guide was a beast but motivated my bud to push hard and ended up killing a nice bull.

09-Dec-14
Different (bowhunter) here. I am 46 and in average shape. I bet I could carry 25# for 8 miles for 30 days. This challenge would be rough on the body and probably cause injuries. I usually get back into my workout after the first of the year. I carry 60# 3 miles 3 times a week during july and august. I wouldn't think of doing that till after at least 60 days of working out to get back into shape. I gain about 5 lbs Oct thru Dec. I have no problem dropping that when I start back up. Weighed 176 this am. Was 170 in Sept elk season.

I have noticed a loss of strength in just 2 weeks after stopping the workouts. I walk a lot hunting in the fall and winter to maintain.

I carried 2 quarters from my bull this year and a partner the other 2. Mine weighed 72# and 82# it was 1.5 miles and the first half was over a bunch of blowdowns. Real rough going. It didn't seem too bad after I did it. but my big toes were numb the next day. One is mostly normal after 3 months the other still numb. Even though we work out walking roads or trails. The real deal busting the timber IS harder.

Most people on this site could carry an elk for a few miles off a mountain. The reason we exercise is to prevent getting seriously hurt doing it.

09-Dec-14
I admire your effort to get people motivated. Taking on your challenge would be mentally and physically tough. Believe me, if folks can find one excuse to not workout or control their diet, they can find a thousand excuses. You have not ruffled any feathers, at least not with me.

But rather than make well being (physical and mental) a 30 day challenge, I prefer to pursue it as a lifestyle, year around. A step in my day, much like brushing my teeth. A key is not necessarily what you do during that time, but setting time aside, period. On tough days, I might hop on the stationary bike for 30 minutes. Other days I push hard. I also have rest/recovery days. (On rest days, I might do some upper body/core and stay away from my legs).

For many folks, it took them a LONG time to fall out of shape. (Physically and mentally). Most cases it is years. Trying to rally around a 30 day challenge is similar to going on a diet on Jan 1. It takes a long time to change your habits and replace them with new habits. Similarly, going from couch to 30 days of hiking will be more than most sedentary folks (and even fit folks) can handle. I run a lot. But I would never run 30 days in a row. I listen to my body, not be a slave to a calendar.

Give yourself time to transform yourself. It didn't take 30 days to lose your physical and mental fitness. Very difficult to erase years of sins in 30 days.

Start with 3 days a week. Start by adopting a sustainable "habit". Whether that be riding a bike 30 mins 3 days a week, or hitting the local gym 3 days a week. Start small and increase your frequency and level of activity over months and YEARS. Not 30 days.

I hear where you are coming from. Like you, I am 49 years old. I had an epiphany in 2007. I recognized it was impossible for me to erase years of "sins" in 2-3 months to prepare to go on western hunts. I found maintaining a level of fitness year around and ramping up as needed was much more gratifying and productive, vs the peaks and valleys of well being. I am in better average shape than at any time in my life by far. I know for a fact

How do you eat an 800 pound elephant? One bite at a time. Good luck. No need to look at a calendar. Start now.

09-Dec-14

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo
I'll pass.

11-Dec-14
Finding the time would be the toughest part. The physical part doesn't seem that over the top. I used to live next to the Appalachian trail in VA, now I'm 30 minutes from the PCT in WA. The thru hikers I see come in all shapes and sizes and typically cover 20-30 miles per day, day after day for 2600 miles.

11-Dec-14
5 days in and still going strong, thank god the weather her in NM has been great, been hiking with a few neighbors that have been nothing but positive.

29-Dec-14
Man I wish I could hike several miles a day with a pack. I love hiking. Been doing it all my life. Started with force marches in the military. Unfortunately I only have about an hour a day to workout. I do however get some hikes in on the weekends. This year I will have my son hiking with me. We are planning a few overnighter s this summer. He started training last week. Mostly calisthenics for now to strengthen core, but soon the packs will be on our back at least once a week. I really like the posted challenge. Wish I had the time. I run in all kinds of weather. It builds character

29-Dec-14
Today is day #29 to my surprise I've only missed 2 days. But I have 2 days left. I am so tired but have accomplished a miles shone. Ready for some R&R.

29-Dec-14
My son was a hockey player at some pretty high levels. His dry land training was pretty extreme...as was seasonl training also. UW Badgers strength & conditioning coach reviewed his regime and stamped it with his approval.... and told me if he stopped training he would "lose it" in only 30 days...now that's sick!

The gents talking about "maintenance training" are spot on. As we age, we have to come to grips with the fact that we ARE older and temper our fitness routines accordingly. We're hunters, not olympians. Put yourself in a program that will not cause injury, and let you retain healthy fitness.

30-Dec-14
Had a stroke back in june and could not walk ar all. Five weeks ago I finally gave up the cane can now walk about 700 yards three time a day taking my dog for walks. Today I drove for the first time in six months , getting used to the clutch was interesting!

30-Dec-14
Nice job bowhunter!

WV - "chipped humorous bone in the left knee cap"

That sounds really painful. Was it your humorous or someone elses? 8^)

I remember reading about a 70+ year old a couple of years back. His training consisted of running for 3 hours a day on a 600m loop in the cemetery. Every day.

He ran a 2:54 as a 73 year old and 3:15 in his 80s.

31-Dec-14
I challenged myself to eat bacon every day for a month...whew! gonna be rough!

31-Dec-14
Ole coyote, congrats on your milestones in your recovery, keep it up!

31-Dec-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Ole Coyote, prayers to you! Keep improving every day!

Fuzzy, I'm working on that one, too!

01-Jan-15
Mission accomplished 29 out of 31 days not bad , that was mentally challenged but it's over.

01-Jan-15
Great job!

• Sitka Gear