wyliecoyote 07-Dec-14
Backcountry 07-Dec-14
wyliecoyote 07-Dec-14
DonVathome 10-Dec-14
Elkaddict 10-Dec-14
DonVathome 11-Dec-14
steve 11-Dec-14
06-Dec-14
I really thought my garmin dakota 20 could be set to automatically turn off but now I cannot any way to? I think an update must have taken that function away.

07-Dec-14
I don't have an answer for you Don...Sorry....but since some Dakota 20 users might visit this string....I tried to load a topo map on a Dakota 10 (internal memory only) and it apparently was too much data for the 3/4 gig internal memory...the unit turned off and I cannot start it up.....I called Garmin support and they said it sounds like I ruined the unit by overloading its memory....any other ideas or did I really create a paper weight??

Thanks, Joe

07-Dec-14
Don, I'll have to look at the menu to remember the exact path but you can setup the GPS so the screen will completely shut off, while the unit stays on. This can be useful when running tracks.

Wylie, how old is your unit? Garmin carries a 1 year warranty. If you are past the warranty try to plug the unit back into your computer, access your CustomMaps folder and delete what you had already installed. After that, I would open Basecamp and check for any additional updates.

07-Dec-14
BackCountry, Oh I wish it was so easy.....The computer won't read what is on the GPS unless the unit is turned on....and I can't turn it on?? Damn !!

Joe

10-Dec-14
I want it to turn completely off, right now it shuts off screen but stays on (bad for batteries). I cannot find out how to for the life of me and I know it was not like this before;(

10-Dec-14
It would have to be an option you turn off and on, to just have your GPS turn off would not be cool, unless you wanted it to.

11-Dec-14
It is an option and a must IMO, it was on for a month sitting on my desk, got a call and forgot to turn it off. Silly to stay on.

11-Dec-14
Cant you just hold the button down longer then it shuts off I have the Dakota 20 and mine shuts off will look when I get home .Steve

• Sitka Gear