Birdman 09-Dec-14
SDHNTR(home) 09-Dec-14
SDHNTR(home) 09-Dec-14
flyingbrass 09-Dec-14
altitude sick 10-Dec-14
TD 10-Dec-14
Surfbow 11-Dec-14
08-Dec-14
Going to get a new pack for next elk hunt , have it narrowed down to 3 , Badlands 2200, Eberlestock x2 or Horn Hunter main beam, anyone out there have any comments about these packs ?

08-Dec-14
Going to get a new pack for next elk hunt , have it narrowed down to 3 , Badlands 2200, Eberlestock x2 or Horn Hunter main beam, anyone out there have any comments about these packs ?

08-Dec-14
I love my 2200. It sure is cheaper than a lot of other packs too. I know a guy selling an Eberlestock if you want me to get the details on it for you. Mint condition. A client gave it to him for a tip.

08-Dec-14
I have a 2200 and it works good. packed out a couple elk with it and it does a good job. super comfortable even with a heavy load.

08-Dec-14
I got the 2200 last year and have now used it for 2 rigorous seasons. I can honestly say that this pack is one of my favorite pieces of equipment I own. No joke. Great, great pack, and the customer service from Badlands is second to none. Get the 2200, you won't regret it.

09-Dec-14
The Horn Hunter would be more versatile pack. It hauls heavy loads much better than the other 2.

09-Dec-14
I had a 2200 but upgraded to an Eberlestock Blue Widow. These were the things that I did not like about the 2200

-just a little bit too small to pack enough gear for multi day or even overnight

-I found that the "batwing" design got annoying-too much folding and unfolding.

-you can certainly pack out an animal with it, but carrying elk quarters seemed to just about max out the pack-and not very comfortable while packing those quarters.

-zipper quality is not very good

just my opinion. I used the 2200 for two seasons and it worked fine and was comfortable to wear all day. Since upgrading to Eberlestock I have been much happier.

09-Dec-14
I had the X2 and could not make it fit me to save my life. The bottom of the frame dug into my sides no matter what I did and the bottom of the belt rubbed my hips so raw that my clothes were bloody by the end of a week wearing it. I was really happy to get rid of it. That said, a lot of people love them. It seems that the people that like the X2 the most are shorter, though I'm not that tall - 5'10". I'd say if you are close to the same build as me (150 lbs) stay away from the X2. I have no experience with the other two packs.

You may also want to look at getting a high end used pack if you can find a good deal.

09-Dec-14
My experience was exactly like NoWiser. Have a MR dragonslayer and love it, but not really good for packing stuff out and not what its meant to do. Bought a MR 6500(camelback version) Liked it but for no good reason had to try the Kifaru. Got a bikini Nomad Kifaru and have no reason to look farther. Expensive yes, but you could look for a used one. Ways same or less then Dragonslayer, carries more then I can, and is great for comfort heavy or light. Spend the money once and be glad you did. fit really is a personal thing

09-Dec-14
I've tried badlands and eberlestock. I ended up getting a Kifaru and I likely will never have another brand of pack.

09-Dec-14
i used the Kifaru Lateseason this year and it worked well. no problems, great fit a little more $ but well worth it.

09-Dec-14
Scoot, there is a sucker born every minute, they say!

I've heard the guy that bought it isn't much of an elk hunter so he doesn't have to worry about hauling out heavy loads too often...

09-Dec-14
I have a 2200 that the waist belt has been shortened on from Badlands. Fits 30"-36" waist,would give you a good deal on it.

09-Dec-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I'm 5'8" and 150. I load up my X2 for 3+ days often. It doesn't haul it as nice and a pack frame. No suprise there because it's a day pack.

09-Dec-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Not bad for a daypack.

09-Dec-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
...but I sure was happy to get back to camp and swap it out for a pack frame!! This was just before the hike and therefore the only time I smiled while wearing an X2 loaded with a rear elk quarter.

09-Dec-14
After a year of research, I went with the Eberlestock J107 dragonfly. Packed out a cow elk last month and could not be happier. First load= 1 rear quarter, back straps, tenderloins, neck and rump meat. It was a lot of Weight but was distributed well. It handled all the weight that I could possibly carry.

09-Dec-14
I too have the same issue with the x2 (I still have mine and could make you a deal...pm me if interested..have the butt bucket too.). I am not tall at 5' 11" or so but have a long torso. Just way too short and doesn't sit right. The load lifters are useless. I still use it for whitetail hunting right now but it is overkill for that.

I picked up a Kuiu Icon 1850 this year and love it. It sits better and is tall enough that I can actually get the load to ride on my hips and use the lifters. I would get the 5000 ci bag if I were doing it again.

My shoulders were sore for a week after last years hunt. This year I hardly noticed and carried more weight.

My brother picked up an osprey this year and absolutely loved it as well. Although not hunting specific, he had no problems at all. I think he paid less than $300 for his.

09-Dec-14
Do you want the ability to haul a serious load of meat? If yes, you need to consider other brands. Why, you may ask? Just look at YZF-88 photos above. That is taking a knife to a gunfight! If no need to carry meat loads, and you just want to carry some gear, food and water, any of the ones you mentioned will serve you well.

09-Dec-14
What kind of hunt are you doing? Bivy? Day hunts? Makes a big difference in what pack you'll need...

09-Dec-14
Thanks for all the input guys, this pack will be use as a day pack that has the capability to get that first load of meat out . I would when switch to my pack frame. No pack in or over night trips , leave camp in morning , back at night.

09-Dec-14
Stone Glacier Approach. Featherweight, yet can stil carry more than you can. Then if/when you ever want to do multiday, all you need is to buy one of their bigger bags, mounted on the same frame.

09-Dec-14
Stone Glacier Approach. Featherweight, yet can stil carry more than you can. Then if/when you ever want to do multiday, all you need is to buy one of their bigger bags, mounted on the same frame.

09-Dec-14
Kifaru, take your pic of the model

10-Dec-14
The Outdoorsmans pack system is by far the best FOR THE MONEY! I also own Eberlestock, Mammut and Tenzing

10-Dec-14
IMO the Eberlestock packs are built better than the badlands. I've owned several, friends owned several, never had one fail in any way (other than slamming a buckle in a tailgate once....)

I have friends that owned badlands and several of them have torn seams and especially zippers malfunctions. I'm told they have a great warranty.... but not much help when you are 3 miles in though....

There are several higher end packs, some mentioned here, that will both hunt well AND pack out anything you can physically handle..... and do it better than nearly any specific hauler frame but for maybe a Barneys.

That's where the serious pack study begins..... =D

11-Dec-14
If it's just a day pack, look at the Kuiu Ultra 3000, I used one this year and really liked. It compresses down pretty small too when there isn't much in it. I packed my buck off the hill in one trip, 4 quarters, goodies, hide, head...

• Sitka Gear