cityhunter 09-Dec-14
CD 09-Dec-14
c3 10-Dec-14
elkmtngear 10-Dec-14
Glunt@work 10-Dec-14
elkmtngear 10-Dec-14
09-Dec-14

elkmtngear's Link

This is a great encounter caught on GoPro from this Season.

I was made aware of the SLIP System Elk Butt Decoy that you see briefly after the shot in this video, so I was able to get a testimonial from the shooter:

"My old man was calling with the Slip. I'm impressed you caught that in the video. What you dont see in the video... Two Tooth was hung up for or about 30 seconds. We think he saw what he was looking for and started moving towards the decoy. That Slip has seen some action and miles in some of the toughest country in the West".

The SLIP System is on sale big time for December, use the following coupon code in our online store, for a 30 percent discount: 2014clearance

Everything is discounted, including the book by John Erickson "Treestand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk"

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

09-Dec-14
Are you kidding me!! What a cool video!!!...especially the first 45-50 seconds and the trail cam photos at the end.

09-Dec-14
Dang! Awesome video! Not to detract from a great video and a great shot, but did the shooter almost fist bump a broad head?

09-Dec-14
... and possession of hawk feathers is illegal. lol

09-Dec-14
... and possession of hawk feathers (2:44) is illegal. lol

09-Dec-14
Cool video, great job!

DJ

09-Dec-14
Awesome!

09-Dec-14
That was intense! Congrats! Mike

09-Dec-14
Cool first part of the video, but whats up with the huge assault rifle?

09-Dec-14
sweet!

09-Dec-14
"Cool first part of the video, but whats up with the huge assault rifle"?

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself, Nate.

I just got a brief story, it seems the shooter and his Dad had been chasing this bull that they nicknamed "Two Tooth" for several years, and finally nailed him.

09-Dec-14
Pretty cool. That will get the heart pumping. I would probably edit the other stuff out if you will be using it much more. Just easier.

09-Dec-14
That had to be intense. Shooter exercised great restraint too. Interesting that it wasn't a pass through despite being (apparently) broadside and behind the shoulder. Dave

09-Dec-14
Looked like at the impact site and angle that it may have hit farside bone which would would have stopped it at about that level of penetration. Seemed far enough back to pass through though.

09-Dec-14
The "assault rifle" is an AR platform, maker unknown, likely a 308 Winchester (7.62 mm NATO) chambering. with 3 guys, if one couldn't get an arrow in him, it was likely going to end with a BANG!

Must be that they were bowhunting during an open rifle season. Wonder what state they hunted in.

Good video of the bow shot though! Amazing how the bull wasn't even looking at the bow guy, despite a lot of movement to align the shot.

>>>>-------->

09-Dec-14
"Amazing how the bull wasn't even looking at the bow guy, despite a lot of movement to align the shot".

It's pretty amazing what you can get away with sometimes, when a bull is focused on the caller/ decoy.

As far as the penetration, I don't know enough about physics...does the arrow approach its max kinetic energy 3 feet out of the bow?

09-Dec-14
nice kill shot !!! that's a harder shot then the giant BB shot lol

09-Dec-14
That's not a hawk feather... it's from a spotted owl silly! hahaha

10-Dec-14
Awesome shot !!!

An arrow is at max speed the moment the nock leaves the string. No more power is being added after that.

Cheers, Pete

10-Dec-14
Thanks Pete. Reason I asked, I saw a video of a bull moose shot from about the same yardage, with similar penetration...looked like it should have been much better.

Best Wishes, Jeff

10-Dec-14
Although not as dramatic on a compound compared to a trad bow, archer's paradox can impede penetration at close distances.

10-Dec-14
That makes sense, Glunt@work

"The term archer's paradox refers to the phenomenon of an arrow traveling in the direction it is pointed at at full draw, when it seems that the arrow would need to pass through the starting position it was in before being drawn, where it was pointed to the side of the target. The bending of the arrow (around the bow), when released, is the explanation of the paradox and should not be confused with the paradox itself. Flexing of the arrow when shot from a modern 'centre shot' bow is still present and is caused by a variety of factors, mainly the way the string is deflected from the fingers as the arrow is loosed".

Best of luck, Jeff

• Sitka Gear