sureshot 21-Jan-15
DL 22-Jan-15
10-Dec-14

CPAhunter's Link
See attached article

10-Dec-14
Wow. Thats how it works here. Sad but true. HUNT

10-Dec-14
Hard to believe it has come to this in the State of Montana. Total Bullshit. The warden should be reprimanded and the supervisor who condones this activity demoted. This type of behavior gives all law enforcement officers a bad name. Two honest, hard working hunters were made to feel like criminals for no reason. Bill

10-Dec-14
To me that seams to be about the normal amount of time most guys take to place the tag on the animal even if they don't admit to it. Chit usually, most, majority of the time when I kill a big game animal when I walk upon it I probably take 5-10 minutes to admire it, respect it, and give thanks for the hunt and animal which is about to feed my family. Next I'll drop my pack and get my camera out which is another couple minutes. Next I'll have a photo session which on average is 10-20 minutes depending on type of animal, propping animal, setting camera, take several pics, etc. imo pics with a tag on horns don't look as good so I don't do that. Next if it's hot I'll quickly gut the animal in place. Next I'll remove tag from my pack, fill it out if required to do so with harvest info, then place tag on animal which probably takes a total of 5 minutes. So all in all on an average it takes me 25-35 minutes before I put the tag on the horn. So I challenge wardens to find me doing that and issue me a citation. Imo that's assinying. That guy is in no means a poacher or violator as he tagged his animal immediately when the time was write at the kill scene without moving it etc. he's enjoying the kill with his brother as a special moment and gets fined, how dare him... Wtf! IMO sounds like Wardens might be short on usable footage so they using the letter of the law vs spirit of the law sorta speak.

10-Dec-14
A little over kill. No pun intended.

10-Dec-14
Sounds like the problem starts at the top with the warden Sergeant. It's a shame that a couple jerks can ruin an experience like this, but if you've seen any of the other game warden shows on tv it doesn't take a huge imagination to assume that there are more out there like these guys. Seems like 90% of the ones on tv are a little too gung-ho for their own good. I have only had good experiences with game wardens here in Colorado thus far...knock on wood.

10-Dec-14

10-Dec-14
that's horsecrap and you can bet the farm this tv show had something to do with it. he wasn't going to get his face on tv if he didn't write any tickets.

10-Dec-14
What bulls@hit!!!!!

10-Dec-14
When it comes to tagging it's best to follow the letter of the law. One cannot assume the law is the same from state to state.

I will not even take a picture with an animal without having it properly tagged in a state that mandates the tag to be punched "immediately."

That being said a verbal warning and educating the hunters on proper tagging requirements would have been best.

10-Dec-14
First and foremost the warden was trying to make a name for himself on public television. I would call this harassment especially because a camera crew was present. Sounds to me like the hunter was immediately tried and found guilty without due process.

One of the most piss poor cheap cop outs I've ever heard used is "it's the hunters responsibility to...". Some game laws are ambiguous. What exactly does immediately placing a tag on the carcass mean? 1 min, 5 min, or 30 sec after reaching the downed animal?

10-Dec-14
Wardens like the two mentioned in this article are a black eye to the image of so many who work very hard in a common sense way to enforce game laws in Montana. When a warden takes the approach that every hunter IS a violator and looks for reasons to ticket them without differentiating between honest mistakes and blatant poaching, they only make their own jobs harder. Reputation for fairness goes a long way in any occupation and law enforcement especially. Other hunters are a warden's biggest asset in doing his job well as they act as eyes and ears when they see illegal activity. If they perceive a warden as being a hard case that will ticket at the slightest possibility of infraction, you can bet that they won't bother to turn in illegal activity. I just spent seven days of my own time over the last year and a half testifying and helping the warden and county attorney bring a poacher to justice. I wouldn't bother to even call a guy like this when I see illegal activity because of the potential for hassle in case I didn't have an i dotted or a t crossed. I don't care how careful someone tries to be. At some point in their hunting career, everyone is going to be in violation of procedure, equipment or rules at some time. There's a world of difference in intent and violation between someone who doesn't tag a legally taken animal for 21 minutes and someone who shoots an animal illegally or on property they don't have permission to hunt. I'm guessing that the majority of Montana hunters don't tag their game any quicker than that. This is getting a lot of attention and needs to continue to get attention if we expect attitudes to change with certain individuals in FWP enforcement.

11-Dec-14
Immediately should be clear. If you took the time to take pics and a piss, you passed "immediately" a while back. No excuse to wait 30 minutes.

11-Dec-14
The following definition should clearly indicate that the law requires that your first action after taking possession of the animal is to tag it.

immediately [ih-mee-dee-it-lee] adverb 1. without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once:

11-Dec-14
+1. Gerald!

11-Dec-14
Why are there any more regulations than what is needed to manage the resource and provide for public safety?

Personally, I don't see the need for more than bag limits and season dates. Think of all the paper that could be saved by not having to print those huge, cumbersome proclamations every state publishes every year.

How a hunter decides to approach the problem of killing game should be left to the hunter.

Most game wardens could be put to work doing something productive for society.

11-Dec-14
+2 Gerald. These tv shows are screwing everything up. Just like the discussion a couple months ago about all the Alaska shows. It's all drama for tv ratings and this poor guy got hosed because of a tv show. He's not a poacher.

11-Dec-14
"Immediately after killing a game animal, a hunter must cut out the proper month and day of the kill from the appropriate license and attach it to the animal in a secure and visible manner."

I violated this rule this year. I shot my deer from a cliff and saw it go down. I hiked to the deer and then cut my tag. By that rule, I should have cut my tag from the top of the cliff.

By the literal definition of the rule, there is no way to cut a tag 'without delay' so everyone is in violation.

The meat didn't go to waste like a poacher's kill would have - I guess that is good.

11-Dec-14
I have never met Warden Scott although he was prompt in getting back to a message I left him regarding access to a state section.

Warden Scott has built a reputation in the Gardiner area as someone that follows that letter of the law and not the spirit of the law, which is unfortunate because a little common sense goes a long way to building trusting relationships in the community.

Patrick

11-Dec-14
immediately [ih-mee-dee-it-lee] adverb 1. without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once:

Absolutely impossible to do. Once the animal is down, that is time zero. The time it takes to put your weapon down, dig in your pocket or day pack, pull out your license and notch or mark the day and month - time has elapsed. Every human who has ever hunted in Montana is in violation of the law because of the ambiguity of the interpretation of the law.

That's what happens when you are by the book and letter to the law. And, Warden Scott was out of line!

11-Dec-14
It is amazing to me that person would actually state that we don't do it like that in Minnesota as a valid excuse. Who cares how you do it in Minnesota....this is Montana????

I think both are wrong. The warden was a little ticket happy and the hunter did not follow the letter of law. It is unfortunate that the laws are so burdensome but the guys should have known that when they purchased the tag. Bottom line....tag the animal "immediately" if that is the law. If you don't follow the rules you are subject to a citation.

If the warden is watching the hunter and he walks up to the elk, high fives his brother and admires the animal for a few minutes and then tags it I would bet that nothing would have happened. Taking 20 minutes to tag an animal is asking for a ticket.

11-Dec-14
In visiting with one of our C.O.'s last week, he related the following story to me.

Opening day, He checked a Dad & son pair that had just dragged the Dads buck to the truck. Liscences and tages were in order, EXCEPT the carcass tag was not attached to the deer, but still in Dad's pocket.

The C.O. showed them the written instructions on the tag, told them it could be an $xxxx fine. He then took out a zip-tie, attached the carcass tag and gave them each another tie for their next deer.

This all from what most folks see as one of the stricted C.O.'s in the state of Kansas.

Don't let this fool you, if you are on his s*** list, or try to lie to him, watch out!

11-Dec-14
Two sides to every story. Let's face it, hunters sometimes embellish the truth.

11-Dec-14
Hope the $135 fine was worth the court costs, losing the license/tags sales, and the money spent at other Montana businesses from those two for the rest of their lives. But hey, he looked real bad ass on TV writing up a couple of old guys.

11-Dec-14
"Let's face it, hunters sometimes embellish the truth."

It's all on film.

11-Dec-14
I don't care if it says immediately, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes after killing the animal. As long as it happens in a decent amount of time and as long as it's not the next day. I know it says it in the regulations but come on! 20 minutes is nothing.

I hate the Warden shows and I hate what a lot of wardens try to do. They try to entrap you into saying something then they give you a citation because what you said might be slightly different than the exact letter of the law. More time should be spent catching poachers.

11-Dec-14
O.K. I reread the article. The elk had NOT been moved from the site of the kill. That is extremely petty. Even though the hunters should have known the law that is ridiculous.

11-Dec-14
they have trouble catching the real poachers....gotta pad the citation numbers

11-Dec-14
I wonder if this will be footage in a future episode? It will be interesting to see how it is reflected in the TV show. Let's post here on bowsite if they actually decide to air the footage.

The warden was obviously trying to find any possible infraction if he sat there with a timer. My hunch is the warden knows that using common sense many people take a few minutes to tag the animal and if no other violations are noted he could hang a ticket on the term "immediately".

It was a chickensh*t move.

11-Dec-14
Atleast the prosecutor excercised a little common sense.

11-Dec-14
The way the Montana rule reads the guy should have been punching his tag before the elk hit the ground...immediately is like a nano-second! I don't get the feeling at all there was any intent to break any law on the part of the two brothers, but you can't tell me for a minute that warden isn't under some kind of pressure, or there isn't some kind of incentive to produce a show for these cameras that follow him around! Who's going to watch a show where the warden walks up to two guys that just shot an elk, congratulates them, says "oh by the way don't forget to get your tag on there before you're done taking pictures, gutting, whatever"? Letter of the law or not you'll not convince me this warden didn't responded differently than he would have without the cameras. I got to hand it to the hunter because I would've told Montana to shove the rack up their ass and would never step foot in the state again...not that they'd miss the revenue, but it's the principal of the matter. This whole thing got blown out of proportion and the warden knows it!

11-Dec-14
...I am retired LE which included being a Police Officer, Deputy Game Warden and Probation Agent. The way I conducted business was after assessing any situation and determining WHAT was going on - use 'letter of law versus intent' to resolve it. If the CO was glassing this hunter for 20 minutes, he knew what was happening. It would appear from the article that not distinguishing between 'letter of law and intent', what occurred resulted in poor public relations for the department and gave these two hunters a lifetime of bad memories from what should have been just the opposite. What was gained? Having the authority does not ALWAYS mean you exercise it.

11-Dec-14
Pretty lame citation footage if you ask me.

If you're looking for "entertainment value"...bust a poacher or someone responsible for a serious violation.

The only message this sends to the viewers, is that Montana Wardens are petty A-holes!

Best of Luck, Jeff

11-Dec-14
Note that the hunter did not compare Minnesota law to Montana law. The reference was made by Sam Cook, the author of the article. Sam is very well known and respected for his writing and resides in the Duluth area. I would imagine he made the reference to Minnesota law v Montana law as a journalist for an article written primarily for Minnesota readers.

Also note that the hunter is a charter captain on Lake Superior. These guys typically adhere to the regulations more than the ordinary citizen because their livelihood depends on it and are oftentimes held to a higher standard. Much like a CPA not cheating on his own taxes.

11-Dec-14
CPA,

I was following you until you added that little blurb about not cheating on your taxes. Maybe if you cheated on your taxes you would be promoted to Fed Chairman? :)

11-Dec-14
Little weiner syndrome.

11-Dec-14
"CPA, I was following you until you added that little blurb about not cheating on your taxes. Maybe if you cheated on your taxes you would be promoted to Fed Chairman? :)"

As a last resort we argue "The Geitner Plea". ie the software told me it was ok.

11-Dec-14
I've seen the show and in general the wardens seem ok. They do seem to use common sense and cut people slack UNTIL the people lie.

I'm curious to see the footage of this one to see the other side.

11-Dec-14
LOL@ Bowfreak!

11-Dec-14
Warden was an ahole.

I remember once about 25 years ago hunting upstate NY. I shot a buck and attached the tag.

After dragging it almost 3/4 mile (up hill most of it) to the truck we realized the tag was missing. We back tracked and it took us almost 2 1/2 hours to find the tag in the dark.

We dragged the buck 100 yards back in the woods because I didn't want anyone to see it in the truck with no tag.

11-Dec-14
Poachers and major violators running around our state and the wardens choose to write a violation for something this silly. A verbal warning or even a written warning would have been plenty. The real criminal is the warden for taking the guys legally harvested elk on a "technicality"....

Just as a personal experience when I was 16 duck hunting in Montana on the last day of general big game season, myself and a friend, had a warden (will withhold the guys name) watch us in a spotting scope for several hours until the end of shooting light. He waited at the end of the road for us for several hours afterwards and proceeded to run us through the ringer. Checked ducks which were already cleaned, shells, guns, licenses, verified permission, and kept us there for about 2 hours doing it. Seriously on the last day of general big game season when people are killing deer, elk, and whatever else illegally you harass 2 high school kids after what was until that point the best day of waterfowl hunting in my life!!!!!

That's how certain, not all, wardens operate in Montana

11-Dec-14

snapcrackpop's Link
Send the MT DNR a complaint and share the story.

[email protected]

I did!

11-Dec-14
It's too bad the way their hunt ended up, but the fact of the matter is a law was broken. You can get upset by the fact that you get a speeding ticket for going 5 miles over the limit, but you are still breaking the law, period. A police officer doesn't know whether you are speeding because you are late for work, or because you just robbed a convenience store, just that you are breaking the law that they have sworn to uphold.

No different for a game warden. The only way for a warden to differentiate between a law abiding hunter and a poacher is by whether or not the rules are followed. Maybe the law should be changed or better defined, but it's still the law and even though "immediately" may not be strictly defined, it's not 20 minutes after, regardless of what most people think is "ok". It's a hunter's responsibility to know the law, otherwise you might get in trouble (duh!).

Sure, it would have been nice for the warden to go easy on him (both for him and public perception). But, any time you are asking for lenience, you need to realize you are already at fault in the first place. There's only one person making a mistake at that point, and it's not the law enforcement officer.

11-Dec-14
Thus the need for a warning and not a citation resulting in the guy loosing his bull he harvested LEGALLY!!!!!

I will guarantee you that when that same game warden shoots a nice bull or whatever, he doesn't run over to it and cut his tag "immediately". I get the following the law, no matter how vague, but common sense must also be used.

11-Dec-14
Alce: You beat me to it.

So you guys tell me in the examples below who the Warden should take it easy on.

#1. Nice young hunter gets caught for not tagging animal even though he shot it 30 mins ago. He acts nice and pleads ignorance. He seems like a nice kid. Went to same HS. Knows his Uncle.

#2. Older, gentlemen gets caught for not tagging animal even though he shot it 30 mins ago. He makes no excuses. Says he usually tags his elk immediately but just forgot.

#3. Very good looking girl gets caught for not tagging animal even though she shot it 30 mins ago. She get angry and start berating Warden because of a dumb "technicality" and continues to be a handful as he talks with her.

So which one of these people do you let go because of the "technicality" of tagging?

Not so easy is it. There are times when we don't follow the "lesser" laws (not just hunting)and get away with it. The times we get caught it's time to man-up and pay the fine. Most of the time it's a minimal fee.

11-Dec-14
Why did the warden watch them for over twenty minutes before contacting them? Why didn't he just hop on over there after the elk went down? I'm sure there was somewhere else he could have been after talking to the old guys, such as looking for poachers or unlicensed hunters. Why harass the legal hunters? Sounds like he was fishing for a violation...

11-Dec-14
Sage,

If the elk hadn't been moved I think the Warden should be easy on all 3. 30 mins is not a heinous crime.

"The times we get caught it's time to man-up and pay the fine. Most of the time it's a minimal fee."

They confiscated his elk and he had to go to court! He lost his elk meat but the ticket was dismissed. Seems like he's either guilty or not and the prosecutor decided he's not. This guy is owed restitution for the meat.

The issues in the article are:

1. Whether "immediately" is a reasonable law on the books

2 Whether the Warden used common sense and discretion in applying the law

3. Whether the punishment fits the crime.

11-Dec-14
Pat,

Thank you!!

11-Dec-14
You are so right Pat, this country has gone nuts in figuring out priorities. I have little doubt that the end would have been different if the cameras hadn't been there.

I was so excited about the little deer I shot this year that I forgot to tag it right away. Luckily MN has a reasonable regulation in that it requires one to validate the tag before moving the deer and then securing the tag on the animal before placing on a vehicle.

Come on, how many hunters would not tag 'immediately' so they could stand by their elk and try to shoot a bigger one. How many are cited for this violation if not within sight of the road? This is one regulation that Montana could improve upon.

11-Dec-14
Pat: I can understand how the wardens can get jaded quickly in Montana. I have hunted there for the last decade and there is allot they have to put up with. It's a tough job and the wardens I have met, have been pleasant and just doing their job. They don't write the laws, they enforce them.

With that said, everyone who hunts in Montana regardless if they are resident or nonresident will tell you to keep a black roll of electrical tape in your back pack for a reason. Your not hunting in Minnesota, or Kansas anymore when you cross that Montana line. That should be the key lesson everyone should take away from this: Tag your game ASAP, otherwise your waiting for a ticket.

I agree with you that there are allot better things this warden could have been doing with his time and a verbal warning should have been the order of the day. If he wanted to really write some citations, all he had to do was glass the roads and he could have filled his ticket book. Trespassing alone would have done the trick.

11-Dec-14
That's pretty poor on the warden's part IMO.

There is a whole lot of subjectivity in the word "immediately" as a number of you have pointed out. Most feel that 30 minutes is a long time, but technically a warden could ticket you for taking 30 seconds to tie a shoe or take off a pack if following a strict interpretation of the word immediately.

The warden showed poor judgement and a the county attorney and judge agreed to that. This world would be a better place if a little more discretion was shown by a good percentage of the population.

11-Dec-14
This type of story makes me very leery to go to Montana. If a warden is going to ticket you for taking 20 minutes to tag an animal, even though it was never moved and was tagged before he reached the hunter, they'll find a way to ticket you for anything. I could easily see myself making the same mistake as this guy did and I'd be heartbroken to lose all of that meat.

A verbal or written warning would have been MORE than sufficient for a hunter who obviously was not trying to break any laws and who was probably just so excited about shooting a bull that he wanted some pictures with it before he thought to throw a tag on it.

If the prosecutor decided not to pursue the case, then the hunter should be compensated for that lost meat.

11-Dec-14
So any picture I see of a hunter killed elk in Montana that does not have a tag on it is in violation!! Be careful what you post or share with others, might get your elk confiscated! I can think of a few on this site this year...scary.

11-Dec-14
Interesting to me that just this year in MO you no longer have to tag the animal but rather have the carcass tag with you. One year it is a crime, the next it is not. Is conservation impacted either way?

Agree totally with Pat's view above about laws and their enforcement. These types of actions jade our views and attitudes towards government even further down the...

11-Dec-14

11-Dec-14
When I was young, I always thought it took my grandpa so much more time to do things than it took me. As I grew older, I noticed my dad took longer to do things than I could do them in. Now I can see it is taking me longer and longer to get the same things done.

Immediately, whether some like to admit it or not is a general term that can mean different amounts of time to different people. To some it is a nano second, to others it may mean within a few moments. The law could be a little more clear like “before the animal is touched or moved”, this doesn’t assign a time to it but an event that takes place. Right now the event is when the animal is killed. The "kill" for me is not an instant second but a event that holds a certain time frame. How many bow hunters shoot an animal they know is dead just before dark but decide to come back and look for it after several hours just to make sure it is dead before approaching it. That surely is more than 25 minutes. The game warden certainly should have looked at intent to break the law, instead of what his definition of immediately was. These guys tagged it just about as immediately as I ever do as I usually take 10 -15 minute to approach the animal most of the time. When things like this happen, the excitement is usually so high that the tag is easy to forget about until some of the excitement and adrenaline wears off. I am guessing that is what happened here. This reminds me of one time I was in the store for something, I was holding some merchandise and got to talking to someone that worked at the store about something for quite a while. When I got done with the conversation, I walked out of the store and didn’t even realize I had something in my hand that I hadn’t purchased yet. I quickly ran back in the store to pay for it. Should I have been arrested for shoplifting?.....it sounds like this game warden would think so.

11-Dec-14
This is why law enforcement officers get a bad rap anymore. They did it to themselves

Perfect opportunity for that warden to show courtesy and respect to two hunters, and leave a good impression. If he'd only informed them they were wrong, they would have left with a good feeling towards LE officers.

Instead, you get this crap.

I can see it everyday, as I represent a lot of people charged with small and major crimes.

Here's an example, a 16 year old girl, hadn't been driving for more than 2 months, on a windy road, lets her tires drift off the highway, overcorrects, and runs through a neighbors fence. Neighbor is wealthy, insurance pays for fence. Girl's car is totaled.

A-hole cop gives her a Careless and Imprudent driving ticket. She wasn't speeding. She wasn't on the phone. She was just inexperienced.

Why? Come on, use some common sense! I don't know who made me madder, the cop, or the prosecutor who wouldn't dismiss.

I see crap like this every day. It's ridiculous

Bake

11-Dec-14
On CF I linked an article about the ACLU and a local traffic incident here in MO. It reminded me of this case. In many of these, I think it is about revenue, not about conservation, or in the traffic case, not about safety.

Many people don't have the resources including money and time to fight these types of cases, and the people writing the tickets know that. Even when the revenue is not tied back directly to their departments, it is still revenue for the state.

11-Dec-14
This Game Warden was a prick. His one big shot to make it on TV. What an asshole.

11-Dec-14
Makes me wonder about whether or not I could've been ticketed. When we located my elk, I shook my buddy's hand and thanked him before I pulled out my kill kit and tag.

I have to say that if the regulations are interfering with some pretty integral aspects of people's hunts, those regulations should be changed and simplified.

I think it should be simple; Tag the animal before breaking it down and moving it.

But I will certainly be mindful of this in the future.

11-Dec-14
So, Bigdan do you really condone this violation? This seems like a serious overreach by the warden!

Do you tag all your animals before photos are taken? I certainly don't...

11-Dec-14
trkytrack, you summed it up best so far, I think.

11-Dec-14
If you put something in your pocket in Walmart, and an employee sees you, they don't accuse you of shoplifting until you walk out the door. If the warden was watching, the hunter shouldn't have gotten a ticket unless he tried to load the animal.

I most always cut my tag and fill in the blanks before I gut, while my hands are clean. After I gut, I clean my hands, and put the tag on. But that's in Texas. We carried three pronghorns down the highway to ranch headquarters earlier this year in Wyo. without tags on them, but the tags were cut. Didn't want to take the chance of a tag blowing away. Guess I'd better rethink that !

11-Dec-14
I'll agree trkytrack cut right to the chase, but trkyslr hit the nail on the head with his last sentence, IMO.

There's the letter of the law, then there's the intent of the law. Problems arise when someone in a position of authority can't, or won't, use a little common sense to distinguish between the two.

11-Dec-14
"In Montana the tag goes with the meat. So just remember when you take your horns off the animal you must put the tag on the meat."

This is absolutely true! A few years ago I was stopped at a game check and was given a written warning for improper tagging of a big game animal. I left the deer meat with a Montana resident/friend but kept the tag on the antlers thinking I'd need that in case I was stopped. The warden admitted I was in a catch-22 situation and that if I'd possessed the antlers without a tag he'd have confiscated it and also ticketed me.

He showed COMMON SENSE! We figured they'd be paying a visit to my friend and ticketing him for possession of meat without a tag but again the wardens showed COMMON SENSE.

11-Dec-14
You guys who say they should have gotten a warning.

When does a GW give a warning and write a ticket?

Let's say he sees this violation 100 times in a season. How does he make that judgement?

No way. Enforce the laws.

BTW These guys still hadn't tagged the animal when they were going back to get the tractor!

I just don't think Common Sense is a fair way to enforce laws.

I do believe if the law is bad change the law.

11-Dec-14
Pat - he figured he had to do something because what I did was in fact wrong. I don't think it was intimidation. He explained that the right thing to do was I should have called the warden in the district where I left the meat and gotten a possession tag for the antlers since the tag should have stayed with the meat. Essentially I gifted the meat to my friend so he was the one in possession of wild game without the proper documentation. If they really wanted to get pissy they would have ticketed him. Possessing antlers without a tag on my way out of the state the day after the season ended would have had me in a lot of trouble.

11-Dec-14
CPA,"BTW These guys still hadn't tagged the animal when they were going back to get the tractor!"

Wrong, the article states, "After about 20 minutes, during which they took photos of the elk, Latvala tagged the animal. Warren Latvala returned to his home to get a tractor so they could drag the elk back to his ranch."

They tagged the animal before attempting to move it and before they noticed the officer...from my interpretation of the article.

11-Dec-14
Snap I didn't say that. Sage did.

11-Dec-14
"I just don't think Common Sense is a fair way to enforce laws."

Really? You think anyone going 66 in a 65 speed zone should recieve a ticket? There are so many laws on the books, federal state and local, that it is impossible to know them all.

11-Dec-14
I think "everyone" that has ever killed a big game animal in Montana has broken this law. Including everyone here. Only difference is they didn't have a warden watching them with a spotting scope from miles away trying to find away to be famous.

11-Dec-14
Sorry cpa. I was in a hurry to correct the statement.

11-Dec-14
"I most always cut my tag and fill in the blanks before I gut, while my hands are clean. After I gut, I clean my hands, and put the tag on. But that's in Texas. We carried three pronghorns down the highway to ranch headquarters earlier this year in Wyo. without tags on them, but the tags were cut. Didn't want to take the chance of a tag blowing away. Guess I'd better rethink that!"

You were perfectly legal doing that in Wyoming, which requires that you notch, date, and sign the carcass tag upon the kill, but the tag doesn't have to be placed on the animal until it is put in the vehicle for transportation to your home or a processor. There isn't even anything in the law as to what you do if you have to cut up and pack an animal out in several trips, but a GW Supervisor told two of us that he prefers the tag stay with the carcass, while other GWs prefer it stays at the vehicle. That sucks when they can interpret a law individually and possibly issue a ticket based on that individual interpretation! My buddy had his bull tag properly filled out, notched, and had it in his pocket for safekeeping when we came out with the second load and found the GW at the truck waiting for us. That conversation started when he asked for John's license, Conservation Stamp, and then asked where the carcass tag was. He was a very nice guy, as have been any others I've had contact with in 20 years of hunting out there.

11-Dec-14
All because of the camera, total BS...

everyone should be writing in to FWP to complain about this...

11-Dec-14
Pat- Thanks for your comments here.

I'm surprised at a lot of the hard core responses to this story, some from regulars to this site.

This warden has a small mind.

11-Dec-14
Some wardens are just plain a holes. About 8 years ago my buddy and I had a black bear bait station here in southcentral Alaska. We intentionally had it in an area and that was impossible to get a 4 wheeler within 300 yards.

One day after placing bait we had just gotten back to the truck and the warden asked for our licenses, baiting training card, bow certification card, and a copy of our bait station certificate. We had all then the warden started accusing us of illegally baiting. We said nothing and let him go on his rant.

4days later we each got a phone call from the same warden again accusing us of illegally baiting, and told us we lied on the location of our bait and stand. We both gave him the GPS co ordinates which were The same as what we gave fish and game which was required to register our bait station.

Turns out he had gone in twice with his 4 wheeler with HIS GPS and he could not find our bait and stand and he was Pissed at us.

Over the next two weeks we received a call from the same warden accusing us of multiple infractions. All of these were flat out lies by the warden. We take photos of absolutely everything at the site, including the GPS on a the bait barrell showing the co ordinates. Every day we hunted and he did not see us in person he would leave a note on our truck telling us to call him for another supposed infraction.

The final straw was when he finally had found the bait site and he called us and accused us of not having the required signage at the bait site including names of those who registered and were authorized to use the site. We told him we had photos of the signage as required by law. He accused us of lying. We both told him to stop harassing us and he laughed.

We went out the next day and the signage was missing from where we had put it. Almost every year our signs get torn down by bears. I got in the stand and saw a piece of our signage in the brush about 15 yards behind the stand. We took photos of what we found, where we found it and had a date stamp on the photos. A bear had torn down the signage. We even included a photo of the tree with the bears claw marks on the tape and bark of the tree.

When we got home we called the warden and told him we had photographic proof that a bear had torn down the signage and had photos of the torn up sign which included teeth and claw marks. He proceeded to laugh in our face and told us we were lying and that in his supposed 20 years as a warden he had never heard of a bear pulling down the signs at a bait site. He was off duty when we called him and he said that the next day when he got to the office he was going to write us multiple citations.

We were at the fish and game office the next morning before he was. We asked for the highest ranking officer in the office. We had documented, times, dates of his harrassment, times and dates of his phone calls to us, written corroboration of the lies he told us regarding our supposed infractions, and showed the commanding officer our photos of our site, with signage when we first set out. We showed him the photos of the tree that had our signs, the claw marks in the tape and tree, and the photos of the destroyed signs with the claw and tooth marks.

We demanded an apology by the warden, and told the commander that if we were contacted by the warden at all regarding this that not only would the warden, but the commanding officer who was allowing this kind of harrassment to happen, would both be hearing from our lawyers.

We never heard from the warden again. Never received an apology from hi, but did get a letter of apology from the commander with notice that that warden had been removed from the field and put on desk duty. 1 year later he was reassigned to a remote location in a different part of the state where his duties were desk duty only.

Apparently the commander had gotten a ton of calls regarding this a hole warden all complaining about his bullying and harrassment after us.

Once an a hole always an a hole. And the worst a hole is one with a badge.

11-Dec-14
It is pathetic when someone gets into law enforcement only for the thrill of throwing weight around, lest they forget that law abiding and honest people are actually their best advocates. For the most part, honest people really don't purposefully break the law. You can study the hunting regs as much as you want, and almost always you may interpret a little differently than conservation officers do. Does this mean you are dishonest and/or a criminal? Hell No!

I think I'd go ahead and hire some legal council and go from there. This public display of an ego trip resulting in some degree of humiliation should cost the good officer something.

11-Dec-14
The smartest thing you can do when approached by any LE that seems to have it in for you is to fire up the video on your smart phone.

11-Dec-14
After reading through all this again, I wanted to show some of the positive encounters I've had with LE over the past several years. One comment about the "Wardens" show... I'm sure those guys are not pressuring the warden. If there was any pressure it was from the warden himself and his ego.

Last year, my friend and I had to pass through a game check station on our way from one hunting spot to another. My friend had harvested a bull elk that was properly tagged. However, my friend had neglected to sign his license when it came and was carrying it unsigned. I had seen it the night before after we got the elk out, but forgot to remind him until we saw the sign for the check station. As I pulled up short to help him find a pen to sign his license, we had wardens driving up with lights flashing and commands to get our hands out where they could see them. We quickly complied, and when things settled a little bit explained why we had stopped short. After checking over the elk to make sure it was tagged and evidence of sex retained and nothing else was out of place, one of the wardens loaned my buddy a pen so he could sign his license. THAT, was a common sense approach by a LEO who recognized that there was no intent to break the law, only and oversight that my friend did not realize and I had forgotten to remind him.

That 6X6 bull was the prize for over ten days of hard hunting on his first elk hunt at 60 years of age. His wife and children had bought him his tags in secret and suprised him with them on Father's Day as an early 60th Birthday present. Now, had that warden seized his elk (as he probably could have legally) and ticketed him it would have soured both him and me towards wardens. Instead, he took the sensible route and left both of us and I don't know if the footage made it to air or not, but I have to believe the viewers as well, with a good impression. That good will partially helped me to stick with testifying and taking off work and my own time to help bring about a conviction in a local poaching case that dragged out far longer than I ever imagined when I turned the information in. Give a little, get a lot... It works both ways.

11-Dec-14
It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to know what a GW will do. Being in the processing and taxidermy business I see and hear a lot of stories from hunters about how GW have harassed them. Had a friend and customer last week that shot a cow elk a mile from any road, upon return to his camp a warden accused him of shooting the elk from a road and no proof of sex even though the udder was attached to a hind qtr. The warden made him go and get the head and show it to him, the warden told him that the udder wasn't proof of sex. How can a detached head prove anything?

11-Dec-14
Two simple words: Common Sense.

Sad to see that two fine gentlemen who had absolutely no intent to break a law were treated like felony offenders here.

11-Dec-14
the Wardens TV show has done nothing but give a black eye to the FWP, its no wonder their reputation is and has plummeted

12-Dec-14
The thing that really jerks my chain about this story is the meat. How is it possible in the United States of America to have property taken from you without due process.

If I read this story correctly, all charges were dropped yet all property was not returned. If they had confiscated his rifle and tractor, could they have sold them at auction before a court date? I think not!

At the least a civil case should be brought against this officer for the replacement cost of the confiscated meat.

This officer shows little to no common sense and would be better served in the capacity of asking the public "would you like fries with you order?" rather than in position of power.

12-Dec-14
I live in a small town about 200 miles from Duluth, where the hunter was from - I read that article in our local newspaper - I absolutely guarantee if it made it to this newspaper it made it to a LOT more newspapers around MN.

I would bet that that one action by that moron of a warden will cost MT. a bunch of revenue from "would have" hunters!

BigDan "If you don't like the laws don't hunt here" - REALLY - you've never driven 56 in a 55 zone! You throw someones cow call in the woods --- that's littering right! -- that's against the law right --- maybe you shouldn't hunt MT - or any place that has a littering law! Careful about throwing that first stone!

12-Dec-14
It's been said before "common sense is NOT common!" These officers have the right to use discretion along with the brains God gave em! This man who seems to be a good guy, clearly had no intention of doing anything illegal or out of line when it comes to the ethics of hunting. He may have made a simple mistake by not tagging it "immediately" as defined by the book but definitely did not deserve the treatment he got from this officer. Totally out of line and overboard. Should have walked away with a warning and a reminder. My 2c.

12-Dec-14

12-Dec-14
Bigdan, sounds like you need to hurry up and slow down.

12-Dec-14
Bigdan, If all the warden had done was issue a citation, the guy probably would have just paid it and moved on. What made this warden a total jacka$$ was confiscating the elk. So if one were to compare it to a speeding ticket, it would be like you driving your pickup across Arizona with camper in back, getting stopped for speeding and having your pickup and camper confiscated. Now when you go to court the judge and prosecutor decide the ticket should be thrown out and give you back your camper, but tell you sorry, we already got rid of your truck.

12-Dec-14
Do my eyes deceive me or did I just see a post from Matt Burke from CA??? I had to check the date on the post! Hi Matt!

12-Dec-14
As a non resident on the other side of the fence, I hunt Montana very frequently. This may surprise you, but I am coming to the defense of BigDan on this one. Your in their house and you play by their rules.

The rule for immediate tagging is for a reason. Many poachers shoot an animal and don't tag it either because it was not the trophy they wanted or to save their tag and start cleaning the animal.

From the Warden's EYE: Now if you start cleaning your animal without an attached tag, you fall into which category above?

That may not be a problem in your home state but it is a problem in Montana. With all the out of state oil drillers, comes allot of ground checking. Locals can be just as bad.

Obviously, we are dealing with a young knowledgeable but very unwise warden on this one. Hopefully, he/she will chalk this up as a learning lesson and take the time to educate some hunters next time.

LESSON: If you hunt Montana, the first thing you do after a successful harvest is put a tag on it. If you don't like it, don't hunt in Montana.

12-Dec-14
A guy on AT knows this Officer Drew. Here is what he had to say,

"My daughter just finished hunters safety this year and Drew came in one night to talk....it was horrible. He stood up there and told the kids they had better study the regs from front to back and know them, not bad advice.

Then he told them how if they violated ANY law in there for ANY reason no matter how big or how small, whether intentional or not he would catch them, give a ticket, confiscate their animal and push for full prosecution. Guess he is a man of his word.

I left that night thinking if I was 12 taking that class I would drop out because no matter how I try or what I do if I make any mistake the GW is coming down on me without mercy! I understand fear as a motivator but he went way too far in my opinion."

*** Don't forget to email them and cross-post. ***

12-Dec-14
Really! These the days the laws pretty much come down to how they are interpreted more than how they are written. Two lawyers go to court hacking out the little itty bitty details and loopholes of how they see it. It comes down to different perspectives and a little common sense. As a result dirtbags get away with rape and murder every day. this guy was obviously not a dirtbag. So wtf?

If they said the guy looked sneaky. Was looking over his shoulder and appeared to be considering not tagging it. Or had even dragged it one foot ok maybe.

Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks is an Fn JOKE. The big bad state of Montana can't even sell all of their elk tags whereas they used to have a surplus of applicants & people who couldn't even draw one. I have approximately zero respect for them.

They have a game check that isn't open in bow season. It closes in time for them to go home and have dinner during gun season. Then they base their management plan on the numbers collected there.

That "out to get you" mentality is pathetic. I never go through a game check. Why pull into a Nazi interrogation check point when I can drive through in the morning when they are at Dunkin' Donuts or in the evening when they worked enough to get paid and went home.

I won't bother telling you a long winded story of how they blatantly tried to set me up to confiscate a lion and revoke my outfitters license. unless of course you really want to hear it. BLATANT I tell you! I nipped that right in the bud and they tucked tail and ran totally busted for what they attempted to do. They are in the game management business for all the wrong reasons. Aren't we supposed to be on the same side of the fence? it's bad enough the other side of the fence is full of anti hunters without having our game management people over there with them. ugh!

They owe that guy full reimbursement for all of his hunt expenses and a new tag!

Remember folks... tag em while they're still kicking!

12-Dec-14
I can't believe we are arguing this !

The old timer tagged his animal ....tagged it before he moved it .... and tagged it , if not immediately ,certainly in a reasonable amount of time.......ALL while the warden watched !!!

The warden's poor decision to site this hunter is reinforced by the Justice of the Peace and the County Attorney's decision to dismiss the case !

Because the warden watched this unfold , I think it borders on harassment. I mean 26 minutes and the animal is still unmoved. Example of... TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT WATCHING OUR EVERY MOVE or at the very least no common sense.

If the warden hears a shot on the ridge and hikes up the ridge for an hour and a half to find a hunter quartering an untagged animal....well that's a citation. No matter how long the hunter claims he took to retrieve the animal, it's just a little common sense.

Letter of the law ? Really? This warden's action only serves to alienate the majority of honest hunters while satisfying are few hard a$$e$. Public service just took a wrong turn in my opinion

12-Dec-14
X2 Mule Power.

Cut your tag before you pull the trigger !

12-Dec-14
A friend of mine and his brother and sister-in-law went Oryx hunting on WSMR in NM. She shot her first ever animal with a .270 at 150yds right through the heart and dropped the animal. Both NMGF and the WSMR Security that monitors and run the hunts "immediately" swarmed them. They DID NOT witness the shot but the tracks in the snow indicated they were well outside the technicality of being 40' from "any graded or maintained surface" (NM Game Rules and Regulations). Law enforcement first tried to dog her and make her confess she shot it from the road. That did not work. Then they isolated the pair and tried to get him and her to both confess that the husband shot the animal because there was "no way a first time hunter could make a shot like that". Law enforcement then confiscated the animal - only replaceable by going to Africa. Law enforcement then said they could confiscated rifles and vehicles...

Long story short - a hired attorney and 6 months later, NMGF withdrew their trumped up charges based on no credible evidence and harassment.

Many, many times Game Wardens lose court cases because they do not do due diligence and they go into a situation hell bent on leather.

My friend should have sued NMGF for a minimum of $50,000 for loss of a trophy that could only be regained in Africa.

And by the way - Federal Law will always, always trump Montana State Law every day of the week and twice on Sunday - every situation can be turned into a Civil Rights/Liberties case...

12-Dec-14
Some people cannot handle being given any amount of authority. Right away they go on a power trip.

Right after the Wardens show they should air a show called Dropped Charges. lol

12-Dec-14
Since there was no indictment handed down I'm going to loot and burn half of MT. Isn't that how it works?

12-Dec-14
Agree with you, Bill Obeid, regarding the fact that the gentleman should be rightfully reimbursed his lost expense or have another tag issued to him for this upcoming year welcoming him back as a good faith gesture.

Unfortunately, this whole debacle serves as a black-eye for the state and its many good LEs and was probably a huge loss of everyone's resources to go through with the simple task of the dismissal of the charge.

I am all for game wardens and the jobs that they do protecting the valued resources, but lets focus on the real stuff.

BigDan, "Come on Man." -You're a smart dude.

12-Dec-14
You know that they have been reading this. I would like to know their thoughts right now, wouldn't you? Are they going to use this to help their COs do better, or will they just write this off and keep doing more of the same secure in the knowledge most people will just cower under.

Great example our government is setting, yet they can shoot you for resisting arrest for a misdemeanor.

12-Dec-14
I've had some issues with wardens over the years...I am always respectful but if they get nasty I get nasty back. My friends know when we get stopped how I am so they usually beg me to shut up and let them do the talking. I've had Florida Fish an Game issue me a written apology. I also had a Judge reprimand a pregnant prosicutor for making me drive 350 miles to appear in court for a blown tail light. I really felt sorry for the pregnant lady. I would have been ugly to the warden who wrote me a ticket for not tagging an animal "immediately" and I didn't even move the animal. I know I would have been wrong but sometimes you have to stand up and be counted even if it causes more problems. I also would have told him what to do with that camera! A badge and a camera can be a very bad combination. Mike

12-Dec-14
"In Montana the tag goes with the meat. So just remember when you take your horns off the animal you must put the tag on the meat."

Actually I believe that it has to be attached to the largest portion of the carcass.

So when packing out anything, say an elk in 4 loads, when you get half of the elk back to the truck (2 loads) and half is still at the kill site (2 loads) where is the largest portion of the carcass? Certainly not with the tag as it could be argued that the largest portion was now at the truck and if the tag was also there it was not with the largest portion on the way to the truck because there was still 2 loads at the kill site.

Or what if you boned out the entire elk and just had 4 sacks of meat (sack A, B, C, D) and you guessed that the largest sack was sack A when in fact it was sack C that was the biggest by say 2 lbs. Should you then receive a ticket for improperly tagging a game animal? what if the difference was 12 lbs or 18 lbs or XX lbs, what then?? Are we supposed to pack a scale into the woods with us?

Basically there is a bunch of very poorly written laws in this state (Montana) and we have to do the best we can with what we have. But if they want you, they can probably get you on something.

Now if you have the resources to hire the correct attorney and want to fight the bull shit tickets that they wrote you, I believe that you would win in most cases.

In my opinion this game warden is an A-hole, but that is not my opinion of game wardens in this state in general. I have met and talked with many wardens in Montana and for the most part can say that they have been fair. But there is certainly more than one that are big feeling, want to through there weight around, d bags. Don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch and let the department how you feel about the poorly written laws.

12-Dec-14
Mule its funny that you say tag him while he's still kickin.

I watched a couple locals shoot a real nice whitetail one evening. Well they had to take the hero shots and while they were doing that the deer tried to get up. Shot him again....!!!!!!! Nothing but a couple dumbasses at their finest.

My respect for FWP has done nothing but get worse this past year. Turned in three guys for trespassing and they let them walk. Claimed they didn't do it..!!! WTF when isn't a landowner and two hunters word any good. The guy was an outfitter with two clients. He flat out lied and got away with it. Turns out that this warden was a rookie and hadn't even been to the academy yet and one of the hunters was a DEA agent. Don't suppose that had anything to do with it. This guys had been turned in 7 times for trespassing. You would think that they would get a clue. Seminole will vouch for all of the whinning I did about it..!!

This elk story is the biggest crock of s%%t I've seen in a while. There is bigger and a lot bigger problems in Mt to worry about other than one guy who didn't get his tag punched right away.

12-Dec-14
Now you're really pissing me off Mark. On one hand we run a perfectly legit hunter through the ringer. Take his animal away!

But on the other hand when we have a really good chance to make an example of a repeat offender we let him walk. Gritting my teeth here!

What is the world coming to???

12-Dec-14
Maddeer,

Who was the outfitter?

12-Dec-14
Thinking back over the years and animals I have taken, and how quickly I tagged them. If anything other than literally "immediately" is a violation, I better go down and see if my picture is on the bulletin board at the Post Office.

12-Dec-14
JLS He was a guy from New York. Typical of these type. Long story. Been around Mt for a few years. Operated his own business as a guide working under another outfitter till this past year.

These type are the guys that need to go and do give good outfitters a bad name.

Ask Noah how pissed I was. Pissed was an understatement. Should have been wrote up and had to go to the board. Wished it would have been that easy.

12-Dec-14
Glunt: How can you sleep at night? You should turn yourself in. Anyone who took 30 seconds to thank the Lord before attaching a tag is a criminal too I guess?

Hmmm.... maybe there were two sides to Claude Dallas'story.

12-Dec-14
You'll never get a trespassing charge against someone unless you have pictures. So if you approach a trespasser, the first thing you need to do is take pics. Video is even better. The background can be matched up.

12-Dec-14
Midwest I understand what you're saying. BUT this is the first time its happened with this warden. The past two years I turned in 5 guys and the old warden didn't have any problems writing them up. So I gotta call bullS%%T.

12-Dec-14
But the most stunning revealation on this thread is the re-appearance of one long-absent member from the left coast.

Pull up a chair and stay a while man.

12-Dec-14
duplicate

12-Dec-14
No kidding Stick. What's up Matt? How the heck are you?

12-Dec-14
One long time poster reappears while another disappears in the same thread.

12-Dec-14
It was a decision to decide where to take the tag with the first load of meat or leave it at the kill site where the bulk of the meat was. I will just say not to incriminate myself that I kept the tag with the proof of sex meat...in this case the nut sack.

12-Dec-14
C'mon Steve, the rack would've sufficed as proof of sex. You kept the oysters for other reasons, didn't you?

I'm glad that cardiac arrest is a deer you're chasing, not something you suffered. I'd feel bad about razzing you if you were recovering.

12-Dec-14
I wish the judge would have ordered he montana fish and game department to immediately give the hunter 400 pounds of fresh prime elk cuts to take home with him.

12-Dec-14
You could have lit a match on Mark's head. The trespassing is out of control if you ask me. How Mark kept his cool is beyond me. He is a better man than me. At least the two idiot trespassers got wrapped up in the barb wire trying to high tail it out of there.

13-Dec-14
There has been a lot of complaints of Montana wardens "show boating" for this tv show. The warden can use discretion, and if it wasn't for being on TV I bet he wouldn't have written the ticket. So basically the warden is a glory hound douche bag.

13-Dec-14
I fully agree you are bound by the laws of the state you are hunting in. There is no argument for not following them.

But "immediately" as has been pointed out is subjective. The literal meaning of the word is practically impossible if one wants to split hairs.

This was bogus. The animal was legally taken and properly tagged before they got there. Should have been over and done at that point. The claim of not tagging or saving the tag for another animal goes out the window. They could have very easily told them they might want to tag things sooner next time as the warden was worried it might be a poaching case. Very well could have and SHOULD have left it at that.

Immediately? Honestly, probably takes me 20 minutes to get done wid my happy dance after knocking something down.... tag? oh yeah... nearly forgot in all the excitement, this is soooo cool... here it is....

Judge threw the case out. Good for her(?). That's pretty much all that needs to be known about it. And about the TV warden.

All these reality TV things pretty much suck. They are in most cases a total distortion of actual events. Cheap video shoots for cheap thrills. Next we will see a fat old martial arts actor chasing hunters around....

13-Dec-14
It is pretty mickey mouse but the bottomline is

there are rules

we need to know them

we then choose to follow them or not

if we don't we are exposed to the risk of penalty

sometime that risk becomes reality

sometimes that risk does not

here it did

most times it does not

driving 56 in a 55 is applies as well. do it an you willingly turn over control of the situation to someone elses interpretation of the materiality of the violation

13-Dec-14
Rules are rules...I was very fortunate to have read the part about leaving proof of sex on the meat. Antlers were not included as proof.

14-Dec-14
This is simply case of overzealous use of government authority. The "rule are rules" argument may be applied when there are 10 or so rules, but when we are deluged with regulations, rules, laws etc resulting in a virtual novel, it becomes unreasonable. I know their are folks who put great faith in our governmental systems, I am not one. Some rules are for public good, many others are for protectionism of businesses, political ideology, and most commonly, a revenue stream from the ever increasing government. Many law enforcement personnel have become nothing more then government tax collectors enforcing silly, and often arbitrary law. Much of the law in this country is formed by unelected bureaucrats that have no accountability to the tax payers they so willingly rob. This citation is disgusting and absurd, and proves that to many in law enforcement, the letter of the law is indeed separate from the spirit of the law.

15-Dec-14
One time about 22 years ago, I was elk hunting in the Carson Nat'l Forest in N.M. (first time hunting elk in any state). After hiking all over a big flat topped mesa all morning, and hoofing back to the truck along an old dirt trail, a (female) GW came out of nowhere and asked how the hunting was going and to see my license/tag AND habitat card. Well, I didn't bone up enough on the regs I guess, because I didn't know about having to have a habitat card and told her so. She said that it was a requirement to hunt elk and that she could ticket me for it, but if I promised to drive straight to a vendor that sold them, she would let me go with a verbal warning. I thanked her very much and high tailed it to the nearest place that I could get one (about 30 miles) and bought it - for $6.00. She knew I wasn't trying to get over and that was that! If everything played out as it was put down in print here, then the GW in this article is either an anal, by the book jackass, or easily pumped up by the thought of being a 'movie star' - plain and simple. Take a look at almost 100% of the over the counter hunting videos you ever see - do you see a tag on the kill when they are standing around high five'ing and posing for pictures? Heck No! Should they all be contacted and ticketed? I don't think so, as long as they eventually tagged their kill correctly.

16-Dec-14
Utah regs. "After you’ve taken a big game animal, you must tag the animal before moving the carcass or leaving the site of the kill." This makes alot more sense than "immediately".

16-Dec-14
"As a non resident on the other side of the fence, I hunt Montana very frequently. This may surprise you, but I am coming to the defense of BigDan on this one. Your in their house and you play by their rules."

yeah, but as Matt so eloquently pointed out it appears that Dan hasn't tagged his AZ elk while he is sitting atop it for pictures and AZ has the same law. Something about kettle here...

I have piles of respect for Dan, but come on man, you cant ride someone else about a law you apparently don't follow yourself and on top of it im betting he sent in the P&Y paperwork on a 400" bull.

this is a bs charge and I am wondering how they gave the meat away- I don't get that. that said how would they keep it, store it at a local meat locker and pay that guy a fee or something? it isn't like every warden has 11 chest freezers at this house for evidence...

michael

16-Dec-14
Why have all of BigDan's posts been removed?

For the record, as the "thread owner" I haven't removed nor blocked anyone.

16-Dec-14
He probably got p.o. and "edited" them himself. His comments on other threads are still there.

16-Dec-14
So I got bored two nights ago and was watching the Maine warden show, whatever it's called. The piece they were showing was an older warden showing a rookie the ropes. He called hunters and fishermen his "adversaries", ones he hadn't even contacted yet, ones that hadn't broken any laws as far as he knew...wardens like him are the problem!!

16-Dec-14
Jim Latvala · Owner-Operator at Lake Superior Sport Trolling The attached is summited to correct some false assumptions in the comments on the Billings Gazette website

Editor:

To clarify a few points on your story on the elk confiscation, my wife and I own 320 acres on the east side of Hwy 89, irrigated alfalfa and a few cows. We never had elk until the wolves were reintroduced, now for half the year, between 30 and 200 come across the highway from the river bottom each night, trash our fences and graze on the alfalfa.

No other hunters were in the area when my brother shot the elk before 8 am (and no 60 shots), but our neighbors were hunting on the same river bottom section about 3/4 of a mile to the south. After Jim shot the bull, the rest disappeared into the timber. A few minutes later we heard one other shot in the near distance to the west. I walked back to get a tractor to fetch the elk, and saw the warden (& cameraman) parked on the right-of-way. He asked if I shot the elk, and asked to see my license when I said that my out of state brother shot it. After seeing my intact license he said Jim would likely lose the elk as they witnessed him tag it 21 minutes after the bull went down. He and the cameraman had watched and filmed the whole thing from behind some trees about 1/4 mile away. I went to get a tractor while the warden (& cameraman) hiked down to see Jim. He announced he was a game warden and told Jim to cut the tag off and bring it to him. He found the tag was completely and correctly validated, but told Jim he would likely lose the elk since he didn’t tag it "immediately", but would see us at the ranch.

When he came by, in response to Jim's question, he said the head would be held as evidence and the meat would be processed and frozen pending the court results if Jim pled not guilty. When Jim asked what "immediately" meant he replied "It's in the dictionary, you can look it up", obviously playing to the camera. We saw the elk still folded up in the back of his truck past noon and still an hour from Bozeman, at 71º. Three days later the warden's supervisor told the county attorney, contrary to what the warden said, that the meat had already been processed and given to charity. I don't buy that story; there is not a processor in the state that would accept the elk after that delay in hot weather. I suspect the elk was processed in a landfill.

Warren Latvala, Clyde Park Reply · · December 14 at 9:16am

16-Dec-14

CPAhunter's Link
Here is the link to the Billings newspaper article

Reading through the comments there's only 1 or 2 people in favor of how the warden handled this.

16-Dec-14
Wardens have a tough job.

They are however, state or fed employees and often have that "bureaucratic-more-holy-than-thou" crap woven into their mind set. What would you rather do - chase a 1% criminal type that might possibly try to kill you, or ticket a gray-beard old fart that had an un-plugged shotgun while hunting rabbits and shot a bonus grouse? It is also unfortunate to be in a situation with a large number of officers (think cops here) present. The tendency is for one or all to be a little more unreasonable and much more authoritative while grand-standing for the group. I wish they all had the opinion that "WE Hunters & Sportsmen" pay there salerys. The slob hunters and weekend-thugs make that hard to sell. How many times do they bust a guy for game violations and find out other felony has occurred. They don't know what might go down when they stop someone (armed sportsmen) or how badly that guy might not want to be caught or confronted.

Like I said they have a tough job! LaGriz

16-Dec-14
Such a sad ending to what could have been a very enjoyable experience in Mt. Hopefully something good will come out of this yet. Its one thing to ticket him but then confinscate the animal and let it go to waste is just dumb.

I agree with most a little common sense on the wardens part and a warning would have went a long ways.

21-Dec-14
It's my understanding after talking to FWP that the elk did not go to waste, and it was processed. I also think it is important to note that painting all law enforcement personal with one broad brush is a bit extreme. The boots on the ground folks are often required to tow the line established by the bureaucratic process. The problem again lies much in the laws themselves, not always in those enforcing such laws.

21-Dec-14
I don't think the criticism here is any indictment of LEOs in general at all.... more likely the results of becoming a voyeuristic entertainment freak show for the masses via some reality tv show.

The pressure to create some drama in what is normally hours and hours of boring, going through the numbers of checking licenses, etc. becomes too much for would be stars....

21-Dec-14
I really don't care for these shows that have LOE's and Game Wardens doing what they do, it just makes their EGO's BIGGER!!!

But on to the subject at hand, as harsh as it looks, it is the hunters responsibility to adhere to state laws and follow them closely, but as others have said, a warning could have sufficed, but because the warden was being filmed he had to perform his job and adhere to the laws as his superiors are watching the same show you and I are, and what precedent would this show to others, that it is ok for them to cut and tag the animal whenever. It sucks these guys were being watched that close (kind of freaky to me) but it is what it is. Lesson learned and one we should all be thankful for as a reminder at their expense.

21-Dec-14
I think the verbiage of 'tagging an animal before it moved' can be subject to a capricious interpretation of the law too....How many of us, before tagging, have grabbed the antlers of a downed animal and rotated them around in admiration???? Well, now you are in violation of the law strictly interpreted.

Why can't it be as simple as 'the animal is to be tagged before any field dressing occurs and/or is moved from the kill site for processing.'

21-Dec-14
Two Bear: "The problem again lies much in the laws themselves, not always in those enforcing such laws."

I completely disagree. OK... maybe not always but much of the time. Laws have to be written to be effective in the case of those who are blatant offenders. No loopholes. But the people who enforce them damn well know that they only have to use those laws to the letter when the need arises. It is a LEO's job to use at least a certain amount of discretion. The enforcement officer is where the rubber meets the road and in cases like this the law itself was clearly NOT the problem. It was the ahole in front of the camera.

If the problems lies anywhere else other than the officer who screwed the hell out of that guy it is in the law makers. Bill in MI hit the nail on the head. The law in most states says "before the carcass is moved" To write a law that suggests you can't lay a hand on the animal for any reason until you have run over and slapped a tag on it is absurd.

If they had half an ounce of sense they would realize that things like this just make their job harder if anything. It undermines the respect they hope to get from hunters. Any ethical hunter can appreciate what they do. But even the most conscientious of us surely shake our heads at the extent to which they went to ruin a great hunt for a hunter who had no intention of any wrong doing. He freakin tagged it! Pardon me and him if he was excited and let a moment go by where he stood there and smiled. Montana by the way is the worst for this shit.

Like I said in an earlier post: They really tried to set me an a non-res lion hunter up. But I busted the hell out of them. They told my taxidermists straight up "That cat will be ours". The biologist who eventually came to inspect and band the cat was embarrassed. When I began a conversation on the subject all he said was "I know. But I can't talk about it. I hope you understand" He was a great guy who incidentally lost his job the following year.

Care to hear the story? It's a doosey.

21-Dec-14
Wisconsin's game laws read like "War and Peace". Pages of "It is unlawfull to....". That said, I make REAL sure I am within the law. My son is also but he has a tendency to admire, prepare, and generally dilly-dally about tagging. Not a violator, but doesn't fall within the definition of "immediately". Keep reminding him....

When I hunt out of state I wear out the hunting regs of that state...I want no problems whatsoever.

County by county we have such a difference in enforcement styles, that you best know your guy AND the laws.

No deer is worth a 4 figure fine, confiscation of vehicle & weapon, and loss of hunting privileges.

BUT....it seems today common sense is an uncommon virtue.

21-Dec-14
Wisconsin's game laws read like "War and Peace". Pages of "It is unlawfull to....". That said, I make REAL sure I am within the law. My son is also but he has a tendency to admire, prepare, and generally dilly-dally about tagging. Not a violator, but doesn't fall within the definition of "immediately". Keep reminding him....

When I hunt out of state I wear out the hunting regs of that state...I want no problems whatsoever.

County by county we have such a difference in enforcement styles, that you best know your guy AND the laws.

No deer is worth a 4 figure fine, confiscation of vehicle & weapon, and loss of hunting privileges.

BUT....it seems today common sense is an uncommon virtue.

21-Dec-14
Mule Power,

I would like to hear the story if you have time.

Patrick

21-Dec-14
Yeah I want to hear it Mule Power. It sounds interesting.

21-Dec-14
Was there any better use of this person's time in assisting in true conservation, or was society best served by watching a hunter to find a minor infraction?

Next time we purchase our licenses we should give this some thought.

21-Dec-14
Rick, I assure you, you don't know all the laws. America is filled with obscure law and regulation that nobody knows. Did you know for example that one can be charged for felony computer hacking under the NCAA US Code for not inhering to terms and conditions when the post on a website? There is a book written that states under current US/state law the average citizen violates three felony laws a day. We have the highest prison population of any nation in the world, nearly 3x as many here is in Iran. 2.5% of the adult population cannot vote because of a prior felony, and getting a felony really requires very little, such as burning a tire in Tennessee. We are over-regulated, over taxed, spied on, watched, and considered guilty of something always. All this under the guise of protecting us, ironically, you are 8x more likely to be killed by a law enforcement officer than you are a terrorist.

You will always have cases like the one we are discussing because of the police state America is becoming, and that is the larger issue. As long as we accept that "one should know the laws", we will continue along this path, and nobody knows all the laws, not even the ones enforcing them. If the government decides for whatever reason to come after you, they will, and they will win. That is what makes private property confiscation such an abhorrent practice of law enforcement in this country.

That doesn't mean as individuals law enforcement personnel are bad people, like every where, some are some are not. The system is broken, and frankly rigged. There is something wrong when you have to read a novel of law to deer hunt without having your vehicle confiscated.

22-Dec-14
BRING THE HEAT!

22-Dec-14
Mule Power,

Yes tell the story!

22-Dec-14
When I got my hunter education the bow class came with it. My card doesn't specifically say bowhunter education, so the girl at the Montana Wal-Mart did not want to use the card to purchass my tag. I just kept telling her to run the number it would work....finally she did but she warned me that wardens might not accept my card because it didn't have bowhunter written on it. It almost was a fiasco but everything worked out and I never saw a warden. Reading this, I am glad I never saw one. Lesson learned...buy all tags online before leaving home...always.

22-Dec-14
X2 TBM. Leaving your license in the fate of Walmart cashier is never a good idea.

22-Dec-14
Mule Power.........Please!

22-Dec-14
Mule Power your up...

22-Dec-14
LOL... oooookay. Since Elmer is sitting around waiting for his "Unsuccessful" draw notice... and could probably stand to get his mind off of his dad.. here goes.

I even have a sequel. haha

Once upon a time I was a non resident outfitter. When I first bought my business in the Bitterroot I was still a Pennsylvania resident. Not to sound prejudice but I found out what it must feel like to be a guy from the Middle East wearing a turban standing in the checkout line at a Cabelas.

I had a hunter... non resident of course, hunting lions. We killed a nice tom and followed the standard procedure which is make the call to report it so they can add it to the harvest figures. There is a hotline you have to call every day prior to hunting to make sure the quota is still open. Then we called FWP and made the request for a biologist to come inspect and attach the band to the cat. I've worked for other outfitters and the return call is usually really quick. They are excited to come see lions. But in this case no return call. OK maybe they are busy.

My client still had 2 days on is hunt so we did some sight seeing. Next day no call so I call again. No answer, no call back. A friend from Darby had the direct number for the biologist so he tried that. Same deal. This went on for the entire 2 days after the day of the kill. Extremely unusual. On day 3 I called both numbers again and told the truth: My hunter had a plane to catch the next day. I also said that we were dropping the tom off for a full body mount at Game Trails Taxidermy up in Florence the following day on the way to the airport if we don't hear back. I had the hunter write a letter and sign it stating when and where he killed the cat along with his contact information if there were any questions and leave it with the taxi.

The law states that the hunter has to be present when the lion is inspected. So I guarantee you it was at that point where they smiled from ear to ear thinking ha! We got him! After dropping the hunter at the airport in Missoula I barely made it to the south end of the valley when the phone rang. It was the taxidermist. We know each other very well. He said holy $h1T Joe what the hell is going on? He said the guys from fish wildlife and parks swarmed the place like a SWAT team demanding to see the lion. He showed it to them and they took a few pics and told him "That cat will be ours!" He told them he had a letter for them from the hunter but they wouldn't even look at it.

OK, hardball. I tried calling them repeatedly. No answer at any of three numbers. The next day (get this) I was driving through Darby and I see the big kahuna head of law enforcement. He is driving right down main street. I hurry up and hit redial. I watched him pick up his phone, look at the number, and set the phone back down. You Fn a$$h0le! Pretty clear what's going on now. You have 5 days to have a cat checked and the clock is ticking. Mind you a lion is considered a trophy class animal so the penalties are much stiffer than for a deer. Plus the glory factor for confiscating one is tenfold.

So I call the hunter who is a nice guy and also happens to have tons of frequent flyer miles. I tell him what's up and tell him to get his butt back to Montana immediately. A lot of hunters would have really put some blame on the outfitter but he saw all along what went down and knew I did everything I could.

The next day I see Barney Fife at the local diner. I dial his number. You guessed it... "I am unable to come to the phone at this time. Please leave a message after the tone"

The next day.. day 5 the hunter shows up. I pick him up in town and scoop the cat up on the way south. When I hit Darby me and my buddy called all three numbers and left the same message: "Our hunter is back in Montana. That's right he's back! If we do not hear back from you we will simply drive to either Missoula or Helena and have the cat checked at headquarters"

I know... why didn't we do that in the first place? I never imagined in a million years that would be necessary. Of course hind sight is 20/20.

Within 45 minutes all three glory grabbers return the calls. The apologies were pathetic. Sorry we have been really busy and blah blah blah. They tell us the biologist is on the way so hang tight. I said I will be here until I have just enough time to make it to the regional headquarters in Missoula before they close and then we are leaving. He showed up fast. He is a really nice guy actually. A pawn in the scheme of things. I see him in the hills with his dog hunting grouse on occasion. He is "one of us". So I say hey... what the hell was that!!! Pretty blatant don't you think? He says I know. I'm embarrassed. But I cannot talk about it at all and I hope you understand. He zipped his lips, took a tooth, banded the cat, congratulated the hunter, and drove off. The hunter vowed never to return to Montana again and hasn't.

When I make posts saying that Montana FWP is a joke and I have no respect for them I always imagine the people who think "Some people just have a problem with authority" This is Bowsite. It doesn't matter what you say there will always be opposite perspectives. But my opinion of them is from experiences. not just this one either. They have an "out to get you" attitude. Guilty until proven innocent mentality.

I'll camp overnight and drive my elk up the highway in the morning before the game check is manned to avoid stopping. It's just dodging a bullet as far as I'm concerned. I might have forgotten to dot an I on my license or something. When I read the story at the beginning of this thread I clench my teeth. Charges dropped but what about his meat? What about the memories of a great hunt that turned into a nightmare? Makes me sick.

22-Dec-14
So one time there was a camp up high right along a gated road. Max camp time is 14 days and it had been there for a month. Normally when they check a camp the 14 day period doesn't begin until a Forest service employee actually sees and tags the camp. I asked the lady who is the boss of my user permit administrator at the Forest Service if phone pics were acceptable for dating a camp. She said sure. She is an awesome woman and I always enjoyed working with her. She's not a huge fan of hunting but understands and accepts hunters.

So I took a few pics and called the law enforcement woman with the Forest Service like she told me to do. This isn't a FWP issue but one for the UDFS. Days go by and no return call. About a week later I stop at the ranger station and explain the situation. The camp has litter everywhere and it's been there forever. The anti hunter anti outfitter girl at the desk says "Why does it bother you? I know who's camp it is. I had a few beers with them at the Rocky Knob the other night and they are very nice people" I politely told her the rules are the rules. I have way more rules than civilians and I obey them all. We are told that we are an extension of the Forest service and I thought what I was doing was not only right but would be appreciated. I cleared the road so it would be easy for them to go visit the site too.

Nothing ever happened. The camp was there for another month. Later that year right around Christmas I got a call. It was the big kahuna from USFS law enforcement. She says I apologize for not calling sooner but I was really busy (sound familiar?) and I am just now getting caught up.

There are some good people in there and the next time I talked to my permit administrator she is pissed. She says that if I ever call again and don't get the service I'm entitled to I am to call her and heads will roll.

Guess who the head law enforcement officer for the Forest service is? The wife of the big cheese for Fish Wildlife and Parks that tried screwing me and my hunter out of the lion. He most likely would have tried to have my outfitter license revoked too. Mr and Mrs Ahole. Can you imagine what they talk about at dinner? Hey honey... wait til you hear about the guy I'm setting up this week. I got this one dead to rights.

When I think of a game check station I think of Hogan's Heroes and the Nazi checkpoints the used to have to go through.

24-Dec-14
Hello everyone. I'm the new guy here from Minnesota. The one who lost his elk to an overzealous and unreasonable warden in Montana who wants to be a movie star for the Wardens TV Show. I found this thread just yesterday so I'm a bit late getting here. I'm impressed with the comments posted here as I've been with the remarks on Eastman's forum. The latest paper to carry this story is the "Outdoor News". Like all papers to publish this, it is only correct to a point. I know all writers have to show both side if the story... but this is where the warden and his supervisors are being caught in one lie after another. I've already asked Mitch Petrie the owner/producer of the "Wardens" TV show to let me have, or see the video in it's raw and unedited state. This video will back up everything my brother and I have said in our statements as to what took place on the morning of Oct. 25th. Mitch drove 200 mile to my home in Two Harbors so we could have a talk about the events that led to this and he does seem like a reasonable guy. But with every article that comes out I am seeing more proof of how the Warden gave his superiors false information. We (brother Warren and I) are not done with this fight. We are collecting statements from the public as they come in for the packet we will introduce to MT State Senate when they pick up after the first of the year. For now, my wife and I are going to a friends house for a little get together. I can say that getting into the Christmas spirit had never been harder than it is right now. Anyway.... Thanks again for the support you are showing us here. I am open to any and all questions.

Jim

24-Dec-14
Jim... so glad to see you found your way here. I'm sure everyone here would appreciate if you would keep us posted on your progress. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Joe

24-Dec-14
Jim, Likewise, I'm glad to see you made it to the Bowsite and are willing to answer questions. Perhaps if this story garners enough attention it will affect a change in the attitudes of some within FWP. Not all wardens are as unreasonable as the ones you encountered and these kinds of conflicts frustrate them to no end as well.

24-Dec-14
Jim - are you and your brother attempting to have the MT law changed to clarify/change 'immediately'? Or, are you trying to get reimbursed?

I would think the video is going to show that you broke the rather nebulous law.

Have a good Christmas.

24-Dec-14
When the charge was dropped, the law of the land thus said that the hunter did not break the law. He should have had his property returned to him.

The govt did the wrong thing giving away someone's property before their day in court.

If they can't keep the meat in storage till the court date, then don't take it in the first place unless you plan on giving restitution.

24-Dec-14
Jim... good luck with your endeavor Maybe some good will come of this.

Joe I have a story to tell also with a lion. Will do after tomorrow.

Have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

Mark

24-Dec-14
Good luck and Merry Christmas Jim!

I sent you a pm - check your messages.

24-Dec-14
I am happy to see you on Bowsite Jim. Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing how this turns out. I hope its for the good. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family as well as the rest of Bowsite.

25-Dec-14

Amoebus wrote- "I would think the video is going to show that you broke the rather nebulous law."

IdyllwildArcher wrote- "When the charge was dropped, the law of the land thus said that the hunter did not break the law. He should have had his property returned to him. The govt did the wrong thing giving away someone's property before their day in court."

Some more of my thoughts on the matter. By letter of the law if 21 minutes elapsed before the elk was tagged,yes the video will show the law was broken. However, the county attorney made a very wise discernment not to prosecute based on lack of intent to commit a violation and knowing that bringing chicken feces cases before a judge is going to affect other cases in the future. A judge who finds "failure to tag elk for 21 minutes" and the seizure of private property, and fines in his docket along with cases of burglary, assault and battery, drug violations, rape, etc. is going to take a very dim view of this prosecutor. Keep in mind the same person who prosecutes fish and game violations also prosecutes all other law violations as well. For strategic reasons he/she is not likely to take a hard line attitude in prosecuting cases he/she might win but will make it harder to get favorable rulings in the future. This warden issued this ticket and seized the elk only because he didn't think it would be challenged in court. Most guys don't want to bother to return for a court date and will just pay a fine and move on. Now, had the warden just written a $135 fine and let Jim keep the elk, I'd probably have a different opinion. I might not like what the warden did, but I'd call it an expensive lesson on reading the fine print. Taking his elk is just like impounding a vehicle and then selling it at auction because a driver waited two weeks to change a headlight that was out.

Truth be told I would bet that 98% of all Montana hunters have waited at least 21 minutes to tag an animal at some point in their hunting career. I know I sure have and it wasn't because I wanted to kill another animal or hide something illegal.

25-Dec-14
My question is what do you tag??? He law requires the tag stay with the bulk of my he meat. It also requires proof of sex stay with a piece of meat. The only thing external to tie the tag too was the scrotum.

25-Dec-14
TBM, that gives a whole new meaning to pin the tail on the donkey!

26-Dec-14
Amoebus: Yes! We (actually Warren who lives in MT) will introduce suggestions to change the law. They to define the word "Immediately" with more verbage on exactly how many minutes, or by adding a phase like "Before pictures or anything else.". I would like to see one entire BLAZE Orange page in the hunting regs devoted to just this issue. If hunters can loose their animal because of a stop watch, they need to be aware.

As for being reimbursed, Yes! If I wanted just a set of horns I would go to the auction. How many racks go for $2000.? The warden told me "The head will be kept as evidence, the meat will be processed and frozen until after your court date". That did not happen. My bull rode around in the back of a truck for 6 to 7 hours on a clear sunny day in 71 degree heat. The elk was not fully cleaned or cooled down yet and the warden was informed of that. Unless they can prove to me the place, time, and condition of the meat when it reached a processor... and food shelf the meat was given to, we say my elk ended up in a land fill.

One more thing about being reimbursed... What value can be put on the good memories of family time and a long planned hunt for two brothers who live in different states? Our "good family times" started on the afternoon of October 24th when my wife and I arrived at the ranch. It ended 16 hours later the following morning. For the rest of our one week together, we found ourselves in a turmoil full of depression. All of this because a young warden with zero common sense, who plays nothing but "Hard ball" wanted to be a TV star.

26-Dec-14
Amoebus: Yes! We (actually Warren who lives in MT) will introduce suggestions to change the law. They to define the word "Immediately" with more verbage on exactly how many minutes, or by adding a phase like "Before pictures or anything else.". I would like to see one entire BLAZE Orange page in the hunting regs devoted to just this issue. If hunters can loose their animal because of a stop watch, they need to be aware.

As for being reimbursed, Yes! If I wanted just a set of horns I would go to the auction. How many racks go for $2000.? The warden told me "The head will be kept as evidence, the meat will be processed and frozen until after your court date". That did not happen. My bull rode around in the back of a truck for 6 to 7 hours on a clear sunny day in 71 degree heat. The elk was not fully cleaned or cooled down yet and the warden was informed of that. Unless they can prove to me the place, time, and condition of the meat when it reached a processor... and food shelf the meat was given to, we say my elk ended up in a land fill.

One more thing about being reimbursed... What value can be put on the good memories of family time and a long planned hunt for two brothers who live in different states? Our "good family times" started on the afternoon of October 24th when my wife and I arrived at the ranch. It ended 16 hours later the following morning. For the rest of our one week together, we found ourselves in a turmoil full of depression. All of this because a young warden with zero common sense, who plays nothing but "Hard ball" wanted to be a TV star.

20-Jan-15
It looks like the Montana FWP is trying to do some damage control after this fiasco. I watched the Warden Show recently and a warden watched a man shoot a Muley Buck and not tag it.. The guy dragged the buck to the road where the warden confronted him. The guy said he'd forgotten his tag in his pickup, so the warden allowed him to go get the tag, punch it out, and put it on the deer and only gave him a warning... I wonder what the gentleman who shot the elk and got the ticket think about this show.................

20-Jan-15
That's hilarious! For sure, the guy who drug the buck to the road deserved a ticket! Not only did he not tag the buck before moving it, he was hunting with no tag on his person!

20-Jan-15
Oh, but he is a resident.

21-Jan-15
Two wrongs don't make a right.

21-Jan-15
You got caught going 70 in a 65. It sucks and it's more than just a ticket because insurance goes up as well.

Someone said 98% of all MT hunters are guilty of this. Probably true but doesn't mean you aren't breaking the law.

The law was put there for one reason - stop guys from shooting another animal.

So I am not sure how you discern from my example above who is guilty and who isn't?

I actually think the law is good but the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Just change the punishment to a $$$ fine, make the hunter punch his tag right there and if he's caught again then take his animal and privileges.

21-Jan-15
Or just change the law so that it states an animal must be tagged before it is either moved or field dressed... Give the hunter a few minutes to enjoy the hunt, take a few photos, settle down, etc...

Too many laws are poorly written. This man should never have been issued a ticket, but any judge or prosecutor with any common sense or decency should have dismissed these charges (on the fellow from Michigan).

21-Jan-15
"The law was put there for one reason - stop guys from shooting another animal"

If that is the one reason then he shouldn't have been cited because.... he tagged it! Does that sound like he was ready to shoot another one?

21-Jan-15
The quicker we agree he received the citation and had his elk confiscated because of a TV show, the quicker we can all agree.

22-Jan-15
I brought this up some time back about taking pictures if your animal without the tag in it was illegal because the law say immediately. The response was that the tag was filled out just not attached and no warden with any sense would write a citation. There are more Ranger Ricks becoming wardens especially in CA and are anti hunting. Just don't assume any more that all wardens are reasonable. I just watched a Montana Wardens show and a young guy shot a deer while the warden watched the whole thing. He left his license and tag in his truck. They drug the deer 500 yds to the road where they met the warden. He said where's the tag? In the truck. You know what this rotten warden did next? He wrote him a warning and that's it. Now the hunters saw the warden and were looking at him through their binoculars. As soon as he shot the deer and realized where his license and tag were he should have high tailed it to his truck and got his tag. He should have been cited. He was very fortunate. Most if the time I have ever watched the Montana wardens show they have been very lenient. I watched one where the warden helped them gut out their deer.

• Sitka Gear