Mule Power 16-Dec-14
David Alford 18-Jan-15
jims 18-Jan-15
bowriter 19-Jan-15
oldgoat 20-Jan-15
TurkeyBowMaster 20-Jan-15
arctichill 20-Jan-15
11-Dec-14
I'm headed to south western Colorado on my first elk hunt early Sept. I have no idea of foliage there, light dark pattern? So maybe someone can suggest a camo pattern that will work best there for me? Thanks.

11-Dec-14
A multipurpose, like Cabelas Outfitter

11-Dec-14

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
These guys were there last September! Check out the home page feature from late September! Some good pics and videos! Good luck!

11-Dec-14

Charlie Rehor's MOBILE embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here's my bull on trail camera a week before I shot him! You can see the foliage!

11-Dec-14
What's needed in a camo pattern? A guy not moving...

Seriously, about any pattern will work as long as you know when to move and when not to... I've seen guys wearing red plaid shirts and blue jeans kill elk at less than 20 yards...

11-Dec-14
I'll echo gil's comments. I prefer anything that gives contrast. OTOH, elk don't have much of a preference either way. If they catch movement, you can have the latest, greatest, $2000 outfit on the market, and it isn't going to matter...you're busted. If they don't catch movement, you could be in a business suit.

11-Dec-14
98% of camo patterns will work.... It really depends on your movement and positioning.

11-Dec-14
Don't move, don't shine, use the shadows, don't skylight yourself and don't make noise. Everything else is just a magic feather.

11-Dec-14
The pattern that breaks up your outline and is on sale! I never pay extra for a particular pattern. Most of mine are "outfitters camo"

11-Dec-14
I think it's not the camo pattern near as much as matching the contrast. If you're in the black timber, dark. If in the more open areas, lighter.

11-Dec-14
Something that breaks up your human form. Predator brown and ASAT are top notch for actually breaking up your human form. Work well for me in Colorado

11-Dec-14
A Hawaiian shirt will work believe it or not

11-Dec-14
Wyobullshooter said it. Movement is the culprit. If you don't let them catch you moving, the camo doesn't matter. I've had a lot of elk stop, look, and stare. Unless they are karate range, they will usually not spook if you don't move. Now be prepared. If they give you the stare down and go back to their business, a very subtle movement will draw their attention immediately back to you. At which time they are going to stare at you for a bit more. However, when they go about their business this time, it will be headed away from you, often in a trot at the least. So move when appropriate. God Bless

11-Dec-14
As you can see by the above posts this isn't turkey hunting. Olive green is great.

But I'll say this.... if you happen to be hunting open country such as sage flats... the Sitka Optifade Open Country is really nice. My hunting partner watching from an adjacent hill this past season knew exactly where I was and still could find me. I had to pull out some orange and wave it so he could locate me. Then he said when I put the orange away I vanished again before his eyes.

11-Dec-14
A tan Carhartt hoodie looks remarkably like a patch of an elk. You can get away with movement. BigDan has a tan vet. I like a faded Mossy Oak Brush hoodie for this, especially when decoying with my elk hat.

11-Dec-14
ASAT

11-Dec-14
For elk, nothing. Just Dont let them see you move. Whatever you already have is fine.

11-Dec-14
Ghillie suit. :o)

12-Dec-14
It's nice to see some common sense prevail in regards to camo....I'm thinking about busting out my Hawaiian shit and plaid pants for next year's elk hunt.

12-Dec-14
Caddisflinger, does that smell like pineapple, and if so, is it a good cover scent for elk?

;)

12-Dec-14

12-Dec-14

Hammer's Link
Ones opinion on the best camo and there opinion is ASAT is the best.

12-Dec-14

Hammer's embedded Photo
Hammer's embedded Photo
Hey you 2 it was proven that Hawaiian shirts are every bit as good a camo pattern as just about any and the Hawaiian shirt Co should be making shirts by the boat load. lol.... Unless the critter sees in color that is... Think about it. Not sure about pineapple cover scent. :)

Hey I saw it on the net so you know it has to be true....

I know I know.....Since the naysayer don't buy it lets see how it looks shall we....:o)

This is light hearted so don't get all pissy please. Instead your just wrong if you think it wouldn't work to well. Unless an animal sees in color a Hawaiian shirt camo pattern would work just fine...

Here is pic #1 in color from a dude who took pics of his different camo patterns etc. A make shift study so to speak.

Now if the critter you are hunting saw you in color like that pic shows it would suck wouldn't it? Sure it would.

12-Dec-14

Hammer's embedded Photo
Hammer's embedded Photo
Now here it is in black and white. Wayyyyyyy different eh? Just sayen! Stong study evidence to save money and not to buy to expensive a set of camos and to instead send your cash to Hawaii.

My King Of The Mountain omnitherm camos cost 750 bucks new but I got them for 20 at a yard sale or I would go Hawaiian.

;o)

12-Dec-14
ASAT is real good...

12-Dec-14

12-Dec-14

Hammer's Link
Here is a link to the source for the Hawaiian shirt camo and those pics. They used the Hawaiian shirt to have fun and illustrate something.

It actually has good and simple camo pattern info in it if a guy wants to apply it and is hunting ground or elevated platform.

12-Dec-14
Fusion from First Lite is very nice as well, plus it comes in Merino Wool.

12-Dec-14
Nick,

You missed the point of the shirt pattern. It illustrates what works and doesn't and why. My last link that mentions the silly shirt speaks to it pretty well and what works in different situations. This was an attempt to post some info that can be helpful to the OP when he picks his camo pattern and to have a little fun while posting it. Most camos IMO are expensive and not really any better than the next but some guys will spend big money on camo maybe not realizing. Obviously I am not saying to go hunt in a Hawaiian shirt.

Edit:

Great edit job and way to completely change both your post to something else right after I responded.

Nicks edited post.....Cant remember the 1st one though it was once again an unsolicited underhanded immature remark. last post....."Hammer no matter how many times you post it I am pretty sure no one is ever going to wear a Hawaiian shirt when hunting. Ever!"

For the sake of continuity and to ensure it doesn't keep changing the now completely different edited postings now read #1, "ASAT is real good..."................#2 "Fusion from First Lite is very nice as well, plus it comes in Merino Wool"

Edit:

Sorry but here we go again. Now a 2nd edit was added after the fact to say "Hammer, what have you worn while hunting Elk?"

Nick the answer is cheap used camouflage like always. I refuse to buy new. You want pics of my $750 King Of The Mountain gear I got at a yard sale for 20 bucks as well now so you know I actually have that too?

Does this ever stop with you?

12-Dec-14

Mguu's embedded Photo
Mguu's embedded Photo

Mguu's Link
Camobooty...

12-Dec-14
Mister Magoo that'll work just fine. Just don't use any stripper in heat scent! lol

Hammer.. we meet again. I'll trade you 6 of my best Hawaiian shirts for that King of the Mountain! Cmon dude I know you're not using it.

12-Dec-14

Hammer's embedded Photo
Hammer's embedded Photo
Mule Power,

You have 6 Hawaiian shirts? Yikes...lol.....

I am using it and besides if my health continues to improve so I can go BGH again I will be using it for years to come. I aint selling that gear any time soon either way my friend cuz I can use it here too. Sorry. Stuff is pretty darn warm. Wayyyyyy better than my cheap camos. Was in a thread the other day and someone posted this pic of their guide. My camos are identical to those except mine doesn't have the hood. I wish it did but for 20 bucks a guy cant complain that's for sure.

Even with the 100% profit you offered me I would be getting screwed now that I now its real value and have also used it on chilly MI deer hunting this season and felt its true value. When I kick the bucket my wife will sell them in a yard sale not knowing what she has just like the folks I bought them from. lol

There is no doubt that there are huge quality differences with camos as far as staying warm goes that's for sure.

12-Dec-14
Everyone has nailed it...most camo patterns have more to do with looking good to other hunters than they do hiding from deer or elk. That being said, I think the better ones are the ones that break up the human outline. I find the digital and macro patterns work better than the photorealistic ones. For blending in I like the optifade open country and Kuiu Vias the best. Both are lighter camos with lots of contrast. Cabelas Outfitter camo looks good too. Despite all that I own a lot of First Lite in Max-1 and it provides some good contrast for a photorealistic pattern. I'm anxious to try out their Fusion pattern.

Again, as others have said, movement is very key with elk and deer. You can pretty much wear anything and be fine. However, those are the camo patterns I like best!

12-Dec-14
Pretty simple: contrast

12-Dec-14
Camo isn't NEEDED. All that is needed is something to break up your outline. Heck carhart brown pants and a plaid shirt will work as well as the highest dollar camo for concealment.

16-Dec-14
Camo works best at hiding you from other hunters. That being said, all the popular patterns blend in pretty well out west from a hunter's perspective.

Besides elk not being able to see non-camo or camo very well when stationary, you would drive yourself nuts trying to match the vegetation color out west anyway. You've got white aspen trees, light green fir, blue spruce, dark green pines, and all shades of brown and in between. Some exist all at once, or change within 100 yds. The south facing slopes are like night and day compared to the north facing slopes as far as colors. So just pick one, you'll likely encounter terrain that matches it at some point during the day. Once again, not that it matters anyway.

I personally use a pattern known as "max-1, hardwood, seclusion, advantage, multi-cam, open country" since none of my stuff matches, and is pretty much a hodgepodge of whatever I happen to grab that day.

good luck,

16-Dec-14
I don't buy camo anymore. If you want some good gear like Kuiu or Sitka etc they all offer solid colors. That way you can get more use out the clothes in everyday use.

16-Dec-14
I use quiet and comfortable, not camo.

Everyone above said it better - no movement and stay downwind.

16-Dec-14
"Camo works best at hiding you from other hunters"

Thats true with most camo but, ASAT is the best I have found hands down for hiding from animals. I would expect Predator works equally as well also.

I was slinking along the face of an adobe ridge attempting to get in position on a deer when I was spotted by a coyote. I sat down and the coyote began barking at me, strange I thought because it just watched me walking upright for who knows how long. I sat there for several minutes while this coyote just kept barking, finally I stood up and waved my arms and just tried to make myself look human. Didn't matter, it just kept barking for several more minutes until it finally ran off.

Was it the camo? Maybe, maybe not but we were only 150 yards from each other. I have noticed that dogs seem to be curious about the pattern if not a little afraid of it.

Walking up a fairly open hill side one evening headed for some elk when I picked out a silhouette in the trees of a spike bull looking right at me 50 yards away. I froze and he stared for ever and finally stepped out in the open and started feeding. Now I know he heard me coming, he saw me moving, and stared forever at my still form and became convinced it was no threat.

He either saw the longbow in my hand or ASAT works better than any other camo I have used.

I got spotted by a cow elk while easing up to the one and only juniper I had between me and this small herd 70 yards away and anyone that has done any amount of hunting knows that when this happens, 9 times out of 10 its a done deal, the females of most species are pretty wary and take very few chances but I survived the excruciatingly long stare down test and the bull only got as close as 50 yards but they all stayed within 70 yards until it was dark.

I know the camo is working when I get caught moving and the animal just seems to stare right through me, good camo is money well spent IMO and I am going to buy more ASAT and continue to use it religiously.

It seems to break up an outline very well, which is what you want out of your camo. I can get quiet comfortable clothes in about any pattern I desire so thats a moot point.

I guess someday when I can get within bow range of the animals I hunt without ever moving I wont worry about camo.

16-Dec-14
Something that keeps you cool and dry when it's hot and something that keeps you warm and dry when it's cold. Something that won't stink up after multiple days being worn in warm weather. Many have said it already but the pattern is irrelevant. Just wear good quality merino wool or synthetic clothing that does the above and you'll be a happy man. No cotton. Good luck Ron!

16-Dec-14
What Brotsky said.

I believe "concealment" should never be the primary reason for buying hunting clothes, especially when it comes to elk...I concentrate on functionality.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

16-Dec-14
Hammer... actually I have never owned a Hawaiian shirt in my life but if you would have gone for that offer I would have gone out and bought some real quick.

18-Jan-15
Cabela's light wt. leafy camo suits. Comes in various patterns and the only thing more invisible in a wide variety of situations would be a full out ghillie suit. It is basically a light wt. ghillie suit. Wear whatever you want for temperature control underneath it from short sleeve cotton shirts all the way up to insulate fleece jackets, etc.

18-Jan-15
I haven't read all the posts but time of year, elevation, and vegetation come to mind when selecting camo. I often bring along a variety and set them out where I'll be hunting. The ones that blend in the best are usually the ones I pick. Another consideration is breaking up the human profile. How many pics do you see where hunters wear the same camo on top as their bottoms. I always wear different tops than bottoms to break up my profile!

19-Jan-15
I have yet to find any pattern to beat ASAT 3-D. I have worn it over shorts and killed a nicebull and I have worn it over cold weather clothes and done fine.

If you are not familiar with it, that is the mesh type ghillie suit and I wear the hood and face mask.

However, if you sit still, blue jeans and a T-shirt will work about as well as anything.

Just consider this: What color are the animals that depend on camo to hunt or hide? What color is an elk, a bobcat, a deer, a cougar? Ma Nature had it figured out. Ignore the vegetation. Ungulates don't see green as green. Color is for those animals that see color as we do. Aint no green on the animals mentioned above and they can disapear while you are watching them. If they don't move, we'd never see them.

20-Jan-15
Contrasting colors with adequate weather protection.

20-Jan-15
There is always a faulty pattern of thinking when it comes to answering questions and the fault is always the same....The fault is we always put ourselves in a perfect situation. But what if the situation is not perfect...what if we are not perfectly still or what if we are seen walking before we spot the elk. In that case camo might not be best..it might be best to look like an elk or deer and have those color patterns so we are in fact a live decoy. That is what I am going for on my next try.

20-Jan-15
In your next try wear Billy Bob teeth...simply to improve your smile.

• Sitka Gear