Jaquomo 19-Dec-14
Rockbass 19-Dec-14
Gun 20-Dec-14
Carnivore 20-Dec-14
BB 20-Dec-14
16-Dec-14

bowcrazy's embedded Photo
bowcrazy's embedded Photo
I am fairly new to elk hunting and last fall I successfully shot a bull at dark. I found him the next morning at almost the exact same time as a black bear, which I immediately scared off (so I thought).

For the approximate 90 min - 2 hours it took me to solo break down and hang the elk, I was constantly chasing off this bear. I mean every time I looked up, there he was - so I would chase him off, only to look up again minutes later and he had returned from a different direction. Many times he was only 18-20 yards away - basically 3 quick bear bounces.

Needless to say, I was very nervous as I was solo, but I wasn't overly concerned as I've been told black bears are big sissies. Which he more or less was, as he could have killed me numerous times.

Question: Next year, this situation could happen again, but it could be I find the elk at dark and need to quarter it in the dark. Having had this encounter, I will be extremely nervous/petrified as I will not be able to see 20 yards at night. Plus the bear was so quiet, I never heard him.

What suggestions are there to ease my concerns? Carrying spray wouldn't ease my mind as the bear would be on me before I saw it in the dark. Do I even need to fear black bears?? If yes, how do you solo quarter/hang elk in the dark without concerns? I am hoping to hear that black bears are definitely sissies and I should not be concerned

I appreciate your input.

16-Dec-14
Wish I could tell you not to worry. Black bears attack more people than grizzlies,mostly because there are more of them. Air horns work really well to scare them off.Used them to scare off bears while fly fishing salmon. I carry a big pistol in case they get too close though. Stay alert and good luck!

16-Dec-14
Buy a bear tag. You will not see any bear that way. And if you do, shoot it. I would be nervous too!

16-Dec-14
"I am hoping to hear that black bears are definitely sissies and I should not be concerned"

Bears are wild animals that are high on the food chain and they do kill for food. That being said I would just get a bear tag for the area you plan on hunting in.

16-Dec-14
I appreciate your insights. I do plan to get a bear tag, but that would not ease my concerns at night.

Any suggestions for feeling more at ease while quartering in the dark (solo)?

16-Dec-14
Man i hate bears. They are big and they are strong. I ran into onewalking to my deer stand last year in the dark. He could care less about me no matter what i did. He was not scared of me in the least. I yelled at him walked closer to him he was not scared at all..

Heeventually walked off very slowly. It turns out he was with a lady friend and he was preoccupied with her. If he was alone it may have been different. Dont know.

I suggest u respect them and dont thi k u can always scare them off. Be alert be prepared with spray imo..

Good luck

16-Dec-14
I wish I could ease your fears, but you were in a potentially VERY dangerous situation. It is true that black bears are generally more docile and predictable than a grizzly, but not always. Particularly when you surprise them, you are between a mother and her cubs, or when you are threatening a food source. Grizzlies are often much more aggressive, but that doesn't mean that a black bear won't make you into an appetizer before a main course of wapiti.

16-Dec-14
I deal with that sometimes. My glock eases my mind. It may not be as effective as spray but it sure makes me feel better

16-Dec-14
Pyrannah, bears breed in the spring, not the fall.

In my experience, the bears out west are not nearly as scared of you as bears in the Appalachian region. They just seem to slowly wander off, versus running like here. So, while I've never seen what you describe, I've definitely seen ears out there that just don't seem bothered by my presence. I'd say it isn't likely to happen again. I don't know what else to say other than be prepared. God Bless

16-Dec-14
I've had that happen a couple times when butchering an elk. Twice when the bear got on the blood trail ahead of me and tried to "claim" the elk.

Black bears like the one you describe are generally trying to size you up to see if they can scare you of the kill, When you encounter the rare sociopath it's a bad deal. Statistically they are more dangerous than grizzlies, but that's mostly because they are everywhere and sometimes become predatory toward humans.

My hunting partner did have a bad experience with one that sized him up for a meal. He got into a big spruce and it finally left, but since then I carry bear spray always when in the woods, and when going into track an elk or butcher one I have the S&W as well.

16-Dec-14
There are some great little light weight led lanterns on the market.. have one of those turned on while butchering in the dark. And also carry a little lightweight radio and turn it on. Leave both on when you leave the carcass. Me and my buddy do this all the time with our kills here in Alaska.....which is both black bear and grizz country. In 28 years hunting here we have never had a problem with bears on our meat or harrassing us while butchering. 80% of our kills have had to be butchered in the dark. And I am speaking of having moose, deer or caribou on the ground.

The only time we were nervous was when my buddy shot a 7+ foot 350 pound black bear at our bait station. We started gutting and realized that we had another 10 bears trying to come in and get on our bait. So we built a litter and moved it about 1/4 mile away from the bait. That wasn't far enough, more bears, so my buddy quickly cut the hind quarters off and I carried the whole carcasss minus the 2 hind quarters 3/4 mile to our truck. I managed to do it fine untill 100 yards from the truck where while crossing a big I had my left foot sink in to the knee and I fell face first into the grass and water. I was lucky my friend was only a couple steps behind because I could not have gotten my face out of the water myself with that load pushing my head down. He was able to yank the pack up enough for me to get my hands to push up and get my face out of the water. Then he helped me stand up to finish the pack out.

Having all those bears within 10-15 yards of us was not fun and my buddy had his 44 magnum with him, but that pistol would not have been enough to deal with that many bears if things went wrong!! That is the only time in 28.years of all our hunting we have had any bear problems, bait site or not!

And, if you can, just have some pepper spray out and on your hip just in case you do have an issue if you don't have a pistol backup.

16-Dec-14
Tag or no tag I probably would have killed a bear that was repeatedly sneaking up on me.

Patrick

16-Dec-14
Buy a bear tag and get a good sidearm. Pistols not the best against a black bear but sure make you feel better when solo in the wilderness.

16-Dec-14
Anyone in this situation is a potential target for the Bear. He's either wanting you gone from HIS CLAIMED food Or is going to make you his next kill & meal. You were in an extremely dangerous situation. If your in Bear country, have the tag & don't mess around. If you don't have the tag, shoot as you ARE in immediate danger. Black Bears kill/attack lots more than big Bears. Most attacks from Black Bears aren't all out charges, they just walk closer & closer until they get you. In my opinion, you were lucky.

16-Dec-14
+PatrickK

I would think this scenario falls under the "self-preservation" banner. Shoot to save life and limb.

16-Dec-14
If he was that close, I would think a shot of pepper spray would have taken care of the problem. I always have a sidearm out west. Maybe a shot in the dirt in front of him would do the same.

16-Dec-14
Bear tag seems to a good bear repellent for me.

I suppose you could always light up your surrounding working area. Personally, it is not something that I worry about. Is there the possibility that something could happen? Sure, but I'm not going to worry about it till it does....then the bear would have to skinned after the elk.

16-Dec-14
I hear this a lot in colo them bears are a pain , True a blk bear can easily hurt us but lucky for us they lack the desire . You held your ground the bear was only doing what the next in line predator would do just wait around to you got your fill then moved in ! You did very good the bear was forced to give u respect if u turned to escape this could have triggered a attack .

Just in NJ some college guys were in some woods they see a bear and run this triggered a predatory type attack leaving one person dead !

16-Dec-14
Being "afraid" is generally not grounds for killing a bear in CO unless you either have a witness or the shot angle can prove the bear was too close. If you had the opportunity to leave the area and chose not to, that complicates it even more. If you didn't have bear spray and were knowingly putting yourself into a potential bear situation, then you're going to have a lot of 'splainin to do. You could do SSS, but then you're committing a felony.

Elmer, I did the radio trick once, and a bear chewed up my radio. Apparently he didn't like the station!

16-Dec-14
No doubt, the situation described is very serious. Personally, I'd likely attempted to kill the bear then self report to G&F. Pepper spray would be a good option too. I'd take my chances in court if that's what it came to.

Tough decision but I don't see myself walking away from my legally taken carcass. Also, a bear with that sort of demeanor is a menace. Bears I've encountered (except campground bears) move out when humans are encountered.

17-Dec-14

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo
I was elk hunting solo, calling in an elk I was following and this black bear showed up in a very bad mood.. it only got worse with a few arrows in him and he died a few feet away. I was glad I had a tag and I now carry a side-arm again after 10 or more years without one. Wild animals are unpredictable and a hell of a lot faster and stronger than us, pay attention and be prepared for the unexpected.

17-Dec-14
They may be sissys but once in a while I hear they can be trouble. have jot hunted them but a close family friend had one chase him up the tree into his stand and he was kicking at it to get it to back off. Late that night his family had to go to all his stand locations to find him. He was way above his stand sitting at the top of the tree terrified.

17-Dec-14
Ruger 4 in redhawk with 320 gr hard casts traveling at the speed of hate. That bear should have got dropped

17-Dec-14
I was walking down the trail in Colorado this year in the dark before dawn and stopped to rest for a minute. I turned my headlamp to the right of the trail and there was a bear sitting there on its butt like a dog about ten yards from me. I looked at it for a couple minutes and it would not do anything but sit there. I started walking again and kept looking back at it to make sure it was not coming toward me. the darn thing just sat there till I went around the side of the hill. I guess he was not hungry for fat meat.

17-Dec-14
Had four people butchering an elk and had to hold off a black by yelling and throwing logs and rocks at it every few minutes for an hour or so. I believe it would have turned into a real problem for only one or two people. One of my buddies has some pictures I'll see if I can get him to post them.

Everyone brings weapons now.

17-Dec-14
Tell us the rest of the story. Being alone, you had to make several trips back to the area to haul off the quarters. Sounds like this bear was going nowhere soon and was just waiting you out. They don't give up that easy. And that's they're natural disposition. They wait until the bigger bear or predator has his fill (you, in this case) then they move in.

17-Dec-14
I guess I'm pretty lax about black bears. I've had them actually climb up my tree when I was in a stand before. Most of the time, they'll bug out if you confront them.

If I have my bow (which I always do)...I don't consider myself in a risky situation around black bears when hunting solo.

The last two guys I hunted with were severely paranoid around bears. I have video of my hunting partner from last year hollering at a black bear at about 10 yds and throwing a puny little stick at it...it's hilarious!

Grizzlies...that would be a whole different story!

Best of Luck, Jeff

17-Dec-14
Had a big blackie come in one time while I was on my belly trying to coax a bull across a meadow with some cow calls. I never herd a sound until I happened to just look behind me and there he was stalking in at less than 15 yds. Cant explain what that feeling was like...it was totally silent! Fortunately, it loped off when it realized I wasn't what he was hearing.

In your situation I would give it a pass or two unless it was acting aggressive after I made it clear I wasn't dinner. Another approach after that and I would kill it without hesitation tag or not.

17-Dec-14
I have always gone unarmed except for a knife while bowhunting in Colorado. A gun was just extra weight. I picked up a Ruger LCR 357 that weighs 19 ounces unloaded. I felt a lot better while quartering my bull this year in the dark solo. I know it isn't a cannon like some carry but I have been impressed with the penetration at the range with the 158gr jacketed hollow points. I would use it only as a last resort and the shots would be close.

Does anyone else carry a 357 or is like bringing a knife to a gun fight when it comes to bears?

17-Dec-14
Have a tag and kill it. Or kill it if it's threatening you and you don't have a tag.

17-Dec-14
^^ what he said!

17-Dec-14
I carry bear spray when hunting now. Didn't used to but after a showdown with a cougar at about 10', I feel better about it. If going into a known potential bear situation (elk carcass, hunting over a gut pile, etc..) I also carry a .45 LC loaded hot.

But I always have an any-weapon bear tag, too, to avoid the very expensive and potentially life-ruining felony charges that are highly possible if shooting one without a tag (or shooting one with a gun on an archery tag - VERY sticky).

bowhunter, my camp/tent gun is a S&W M&P .357 titanium-scandium DAO with laser grip. Weighs 14 oz loaded with five cartridges. It's a great unit but I'd rather trust my life to bear spray in a bad situation. Statistically, from documented studies, your chances of surviving or deterring a bear attack are significantly higher with spray than a gun.

17-Dec-14
Thanks everyone for your insight. You definitely have eased my fears. I appreciate you relating similar experiences and how you handle bear country.

BigRed - the rest of the story is I moved the quarters into various trees 75 yards away. I kept a close eye on the left behind quarters as I walked 75 yds with each quarter. I was certain the bear would run in and drag off a quarter while I was hoisting another quarter into a tree. I didn't bother to cut off the antlers as I just wanted out of there.

Funny thing, after my last run at him (while moving quarters) - he never returned. But note I did chase him many, many times over nearly 2 hours. He was likely as tired of the game as I was.

I came to the carcass the next morning (24 hours after the encounter) and it hadn't been touched. All that chasing and the bear didn't even return for a meal. I proceeded to cut off the antlers, but was still nervously looking around. It takes a long time to saw off antlers with a cheap folding tree saw- very nerve wrecking!

I wasn't as scared during the encounter as I was after - which is why I wrote this post. As I relive the event, it just seemed odd the bear never ran away. Every other bear I've encountered ran off quickly. This one just stared at me as I yelled and finally would move off when I ran at him. I always had to run at him, he never moved until I charged (so thankful now that he didn't charge back!) And even then he just trotted out of sight. He never made the "I'm getting out of here" mad dash.

Which was the purpose of my post. Although definitely nervous, I wasn't overly scared at the time, but maybe I should have been. I wanted bowsiters to calm my fears if I would need to ever quarter in the dark. I did see multiple bears in this area, so if successful next year, I will definitely have this experience wheeling in my mind - and darkness would elevate those thoughts.

Thanks - bowsite members, you did calm my fears. I will take some precautions. I like the radio idea and will take a look at bear spray - although it seems expensive and bulky. It sounds like nobody has had to use spray (or pistol) on black bears, so maybe it is more of a comfort tool.

But after reading your stories, I also feel like maybe I was little lucky for two hours on that Monday morning of Sept. 15th.

17-Dec-14
Jaqoumo, do they really pursue felony charges when people kill bears to protect themselves? Just seems like it would take a real jerk of a c.o. and d.a. to go that route. I've seen a few, none acted aggressive, but if they had I probably would have shot them. Is there "potential" for a felony, or do they actually aggressively prosecute when this happens?

17-Dec-14
Anybody ever blunted one to see what would happen?

17-Dec-14
Followup Question: I looked up Bear Spray and it comes in all sizes. Any suggestions on what size to carry? I prefer the smallest, but that may not be the wisest.

Thanks in advance for your input.

17-Dec-14

elkmtngear's Link
trekking up photo trekkingup_zps9f57df56.jpg

The SLIP System- combination elk decoy/ trekking pole/ bear-stabber ;^D

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

17-Dec-14
I've been charged twice by wounded bears that I know would have been a bad outcome if I did not have my 12 gauge double loaded with buck. For you, the best bear spry you can buy, buy 2. I've used it and it works.

17-Dec-14
1-2 people are killed every year in North America by bear attacks.

The odds aren't high you will be killed but then again no one wants to be that statistic.

Almost all of them are predatory and almost all of them have to do with the person being in their camp or around food.

Your situation was extremely dangerous. Any bear who doesn't move on after being pushed away should be dealt with until they have left.

As many have said, get a bear tag and you will never have an issue.

Otherwise bear spray or 12 gauge will get them moving quickly.

17-Dec-14
when hunting bears a bait sights the often take a section of food and run off with it. what if you were to throw the bear a cut of meat, do you think he may leave after getting it? Or will that just complicate the problem?

17-Dec-14
Bowhunter, I take my Blackhawk .357 with 158-gr Buffalo Bore rounds. I don't carry it with me during the day, but keep it in the tent and will take it back out when returning to a kill site. There are few fatal black bear attacks but I guess as bow hunters our odds of an encounter are higher than the average person, and I don't want to be the one guy who gets killed by a black bear in a given year. My wife said she'd rather me have a handgun when I'm out in the mountains than be a statistic, so I obliged and bought another gun :)

17-Dec-14
lou cougar hmm you are 60 just how old was this cougar:> >>>-------->

17-Dec-14

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

cnelk's Link
A sow and 2 cubs claimed my elk carcass this fall. They knew I was there and still wouldnt leave when I tossed sticks at them when it was time to go. So I just left

See short vid clip

I also had a trail camera on the carcass. A bear came in right after dark. I realize this pic wont ease your fears tho :)

17-Dec-14
bears like pepper with their meals.

17-Dec-14
Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the US Fish and Wildlife Service is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advance warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him in case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirel fur. Grizzly Bear sh!t has bells in it and smells like pepper.

17-Dec-14
cnelk, that sow was not happy about your presence! But, she still wasn't alarmed enough to call those cubs away from the carcass. Cool video!

It's almost a guarantee that bears will visit the carcass within 24 hrs where we hunt.

But we've never had them mess with the hung and bagged quarters in 15 years (we always try to move them a good distance away from the carcass).

Bears are certainly opportunistic when it comes to "harvest season"!

Best of Luck, Jeff

17-Dec-14
Cnelk - your video reminds me of how nonthreatening a bear is in the daylight when everything is visible - such as number of bears, the surroundings.

Your trail cam pic is exactly my reason for the post - I'd definitely be more afraid of the eyes in the dark, not knowing the surroundings, etc.

18-Dec-14
cnelk, that sow was as pretty a bear as I think I've seen. Real unique color!

I realize few people are actually killed by black bears... but I would be pretty upset at just a mild mauling....

Won't go into any long stories (yeah, I know...) but the bears I've had encounters with either left in good time, or let you know there was an issue. Huffing, popping, lunging at you or bluffing. Clearly aggressive behavior.

It would be interesting to know what human encounters that bear had experienced. Could be that was the second or third or how many elk kill sites it had dealt with and just waiting for you to leave, it had first dibs. Didn't seem to make an effort to drive you off or show aggression?

If the bears aren't hunted, more and more will be acclimated to humans and kill sites. I can see it getting to be a real issue in time.

Nighttime. Dark. You know what a black bear looks like in the dark?

EVERYTHING.

18-Dec-14
nice video what that sow has shown them cubs is how easy it is to claim a hunters kill . Bears like this learn asap a hunter equals a large bounty at the end of the day !! At this point it will only get worse on the next encounter with humans. Its always better to deter a bear before they claim a kill!! once claimed it can be a chore to deter.

18-Dec-14
Just be glad it wasn't a griz. Shoot your elk in the morning or carry some firecrackers, the bigger the better.

18-Dec-14
I have had two BAD bears out of 100s of encounters while baiting and hunting. Never trust a Wild animal. HUNT

18-Dec-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
there, feel better?

18-Dec-14
TD - No,never aggressive and never made a noise. which is why I wasn't overly concerned at first. What started to unnerve me was he never fully fled away, never flinched until I charged towards him, and eventually how close he was getting.

He reminded me of my dog trying to steal meat when I butcher deer in the garage. Easing his way ever closer between scoldings.

Elkmtngear, Str. Arrow - I agree, throwing sticks doesn't do any good - just humors them.

19-Dec-14
Bowcrazy,

For "Peace of Mind" I would carry bear spray. A good quality brand! If it happens again make sure he is downwind and walk right at him and hit him in the face!

Several years ago on a Spot & Stalk Bear hunt on Vancouver Island I shot a good bear with my bow and it did a very loud and long death moan. Within 30 minutes of shooting that bear we had two other big boars coming in to explore. We scared one off by yelling as we were dragging my bear down the mountain to the logging road. The 2nd bear remained shadowing us and when we reached the logging road we thought he had left. As we were loading the bear into the back of the pickup truck I looked up and he was in the middle of the road 5 yards from me. I yelled (not sure out of being startled or what I left in my pants!) He just stood there.....I slowly reached into my pack that was also in the back of the truck and got the pepper spray out. He just stood there slightly rocking back and forth like he was making his decision to just go for it when I hit him right in the face. I was worried that he was so close when I sprayed him he would run me over. He spun where he stood and barreled off the road into the thick bush. He looked to be a very old large bear....the one I shot was 19.5" and I guessed this one was bigger....maybe the dominant male in the area?

It seems if they get the smell of blood no matter how much commotion you make is not going to scare them off.

19-Dec-14
Patdel, I know people have been cited for shoot in bears without a license after claiming they were frightened. Don't know how often. I'll ask my WCO buddy when I get back from deer hunting. The problem is with proving you were actually threatened, unless you have a credible witness. Bear spray works and won't get you in potential trouble.

19-Dec-14
.....I should add "ONLY FOR BLACK BEARS.....I think I would have been a goner if it was a Grizzly!

20-Dec-14
How about building a fire nearby while cutting it up.

20-Dec-14
Bears are always messing with me and my camp regardless of my precautions, so I'm not paranoid—I am practical. I wouldn't hunt elk where I do without a can of spray on one hip, and my pistol on the other. The anxiety would interfere with sleep, daytime naps, hunting, and butchering.

Get the big can of spray. It only has 7 or 8 seconds of spray time, and that will seem awfully short. But it's more than the small can. Practice with one that has gone beyond the expiration date, or buy one of the practice cans. Practice shooting from the hip, without taking it out of the holster. It's VERY instructional to pattern the stuff. SPRAY DOWNWIND!

The gun gives a greater sense of security in the tent at night. You can't really use spray on a bear coming in your tent, because you will spray yourself.

Another case for a gun: I had a bear stalk me once, in the middle of an open park. I had to swap spray for gun in my dominant hand when he turned to come at me from upwind. (He turned away at the last second.)

While butchering solo, I talk, yell, whistle, try to sound like a gang of people. Sometimes I build a fire to add a "man" smell. Check for glowing eyes regularly. Begin hollering 1/4 mile away when returning for meat, you don't want to surprise one.

At least you saw the bear. Here's what you might not see: a mountain lion. Bears are soundless, but lions are both soundless and invisible. I had a cat claim my bull two years ago. I pick them up on trail cameras, but almost never see them myself. I see bears all the time. The best reason to pack heat might be for the thing you haven't yet seen.

20-Dec-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I have never been afraid of bears, so here's what I do when they circle me. I wait until they get close enough I can hit them with a stick and when they jump on a nearby tree I take their photo. Ha Ha. That exact thing happened to me in Idaho in about 2008 or 9. It was a rush!

The worst I have ever been hurt, while on a bear hunt, was when my buddy rolled the vehicle we were in 3 1/2 times on the way to bait. Your chances of getting hurt is far more likely traveling to and from your hunting area, than it is by a bear when you are there! FACT!!!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

• Sitka Gear