Swivelhead 03-Jan-15
TurkeyBowMaster 03-Jan-15
BigMo 05-Jan-15
writer 05-Jan-15
OkieJ 05-Jan-15
ToddT 07-Jan-15
deserthunter 07-Jan-15
28-Dec-14
My deep freeze quit and by the time I found it, everything was ruined....including my son's cow elk he killed over Thanksgiving. Along with my green chili and close to a thousand dollars worth of steak we just got in. I'm looking for an elk hunt ASAP. Either bull or cow, I don't care just need the meat. Does anyone know of any available tags? I appreciate all responses. Thanks, Mike

28-Dec-14
Dont they make an alarm for deep freezers to prevent that from happening. If you are eating out of it regular and notice whether the lite is off or on that's a sight indicator of no power bit the unit still could be bad. A feel indicator is soft meat. Sounds like you don't eat out of it as often as I eat out of mine.

28-Dec-14
Bigmo - If you happen to live in CO, I can give you some elk meat.

28-Dec-14
TBM - thanks for your half hearted attempt to be helpful...We've been out of town for almost 2 weeks. Best I can tell it went down shortly after we left. Either way, the meat is bad and I'm needing to do some quick replacement, especially the elk. If anyone knows of any available tags in NM or CO, I appreciate the help.

28-Dec-14
cmbbulldog - I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking to take any thing away from anyone. I'm willing to pay for an available tag. If I can't find one, I'll just tough it out until next year. Your offer is greatly appreciated though!

28-Dec-14
So what we learned here is that if the meat that is supposed to be frozen is soft it means the freezer is not working.

Brilliant insight there. Where would we be without such wisdom and intellect?

28-Dec-14
It's been cold enough for meat to keep 2 weeks most everywhere. I sure would give u a propeller head or 3 if ur anywhere near here.

28-Dec-14
Bigmo I see what you are doing here. If you lose your meat you get to do more hunting. I might try that one sometime. That ranch out by Raton, name slips my mind, could still have some tags. Someone else might chime in with the name.

28-Dec-14
LINK - Anything to get more hunting in...... but not at the cost of 150#'s of cow elk. I've searched all over the internet with the only "maybe" could be a Feb elk hunt in southwest TX. Prolly not cheap, but will see what comes of it. We have mule deer archery starting on Jan 1, and between my 2 kids and I, we're hoping to fill part of the freezer. I'll check into the Raton area and see what's available. I appreciate your recommendation. Mike

28-Dec-14
I think there is a place in Omaha that ships some good steaks in nice white styrofoam coolers. Pat might let you in on some shot up yote meat. You also could go vegetation like some of the bowsite legonds that got skunked. Pat has some decon radishes and chickory to go with the yotes. Signed TBM....stands for too full meat.

28-Dec-14
In the fairly short time that I've been on this site I have a quick question to ask everyone. Is TBM always this big of an a**hole as he's just been with every post he's put up on this thread?

28-Dec-14
Hard to say... I can only understand 50% of what he types on here.... But the 50% I do understand isn't real productive...

28-Dec-14
BigMo, that sucks, sorry for your loss.

Topgun, pretty much, yeah.

28-Dec-14
TBM usually has noting constructive to add to any topic......sadly enough when he started the "heart attack" thread I hoped it was true, and then the false sense that he was banned gave me a little more hope for this site....sadly enough, neither one was true.

28-Dec-14
How does TBM stand for "too full meat?" TBM should stand for too full of something, but it isn't meat.

BigMo,

Wish I knew where you could grab a tag. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

28-Dec-14
Not sure if these are still available but saw them on craigslist? Good luck finding hunt.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/spo/4768051453.html

28-Dec-14
Do you care where? I know ranches in Texas offer cow elk hunts. Sure it's not the mountains of Montana but it's an option.

Go to Texasbowhunter.com and guys can steer you in right direction.

If I remember correctly the cost was very reasonable.

28-Dec-14
TBM... wtf dude!

There is nothing funny about this. I had it happen once. It's devastating. Apparently your mother didn't teach you a damn thing about life. She could have at least gotten to the part that goes "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

If there is ever a Bowsite get together you better bring a bodyguard. In all my years of watching first timers kill elk I never saw one think so Fn highly of himself over it. Humble yourself!!!

28-Dec-14
BigMo - that really sucks. I lost half a bear and 2 geese from the same situation. The last thing you need is some idiot chiming in with the usual stupid comments.

28-Dec-14
Wouldna thought anybody was serious about killing a elk this late in the year, especially before buying a new freezer. Put one in I at old one and it's probably going to spoil too. For this late in the year I would think cous deer and havalona and turkeys unless you have a poach master card...good for all seasons.

28-Dec-14
He's pretty much a smarta_s or know it all about everything. I hope you feel your freezer again elk meat is priceless.

28-Dec-14
Wouldna thought anybody was serious about killing a elk this late in the year, especially before buying a new freezer. Put one in I at old one and it's probably going to spoil too. For this late in the year I would think cous deer and havalona and turkeys unless you have a poach master card...good for all seasons.

28-Dec-14
Check with Vermejo Park Ranch, near Raton.

It's one of Ted Turner's properties and they offer some good late-season cow elk hunts. Gorgeous chunk of real estate. It's HUGE.

I took my son there when he was 12 for a cow hunt. Last winter a buddy took both of his boys. High success rates.

You also may look into a cow buffalo hunt, just saying and trying to help. Sorry for your loss. That hurts a lot more than losing a freezer of beef or domestic pork.

TBM must you try to be the expert on everything?

Quit being Terrible Bowel Movement.

28-Dec-14
There are also buffalo hunts available. I know it isn't elk, but there is a bunch more meat on one of those critters!

28-Dec-14
TBM

Stands for " Toxic Bowel Movement"

BigMo

That's terrible I lost an elk & sheep same way.

28-Dec-14
TBM Stands for " Toxic Bowel Movement" BigMo That's terrible I lost an elk & sheep same way.

Yep, and I see he still didn't get the message and is being a total turd on every post!!!

29-Dec-14
Ivswriously would give you some does or just let you shoot somebyourself. Killed 4 so far and gave them all away to folks who spoke for them before we killed them. Really didn't have a clue elk season was in anywhere. Cows have to have small calves in them now. Gives me the idea to take the kids elk hunting for the holidays. Turner ranch sounds nice...and expensive.

29-Dec-14
Vermejo might have some tags. My neighbor got a cow rifle tag for $500 2 years ago but that's still expensive if you're looking for meat. Beef is cheaper but only if you don't want the vacation.

29-Dec-14
If you deal with freezers long enough, something bad is bound to happen. It really sucks losing any meat due to electrical/mechanical problems. Sorry to hear it happened to you. I took a long break from this site during hunting season. Now I'm debating taking another one due to one obnoxious poster.

29-Dec-14
Bummer deal. I lost a deer, antelope and mountain goat to an unplugged freezer once. What a mess.

I second the thought of a bison hunt? Not much of a hunt probably, but really good eating.

29-Dec-14
What about a bison "hunt".

29-Dec-14
Bigmo- So sorry to hear about the loss of your meat. Total bummer! Don't know of any tags but I hope you get it remedied.

X2-speedgoat, it sure gets old right! I think we would all be lost in life if we didn't have the great TBM, leaving post after post of his infinite misspelled next level knowledge for all of us who are in the dark.

29-Dec-14
Writer got the ranch I was talking about. My moms husband goes every year in January to the Vermejo. It might be worth looking into.

29-Dec-14
that hurts been there had a freezer go while hunting came home to house full of flies, so nasty lots a lot of critters in that freezer.

If you lived in Ny i could share some of my elk with you !!

29-Dec-14
PM sent

29-Dec-14
Mike, sorry to hear.

TBM, REALLY sorry that you gotta be a such a tool. Not for you, for all of us...

29-Dec-14
Been there and sorry it happened. If you choose buffalo, choose a cow. So tender and tasty!

29-Dec-14
Damn that really sucks sorry for your loss I know the feeling Lewis

29-Dec-14
"Really didn't have a clue...." TBM shoulda stopped right there. If you don't have a clue, DON'T SPEAK.

Best of luck finding a tag and getting some mulies as well!

29-Dec-14
I think TBM stays at Holiday Inn Express a LOT, heck, he probably owns the place...guy knows damn near everything there is to know about anything!

29-Dec-14
If you call your home owners insurance they should cover all the food that was lost at fair market value. Your sons elk meat might cover the cost of a elk from one of the High fence places if you just want meat and not to hunt

29-Dec-14
Shakey,

I am going to remember that!! Hopefully, I'll never need to file such a claim...But BigMo might really appreciate it...

30-Dec-14
There is a waste here.... so sorry about the freezer meat though...

Lost a freezer full myself once. My second chest freezer was plugged into a GFI circuit, was on an indoor plug but most of the circuit was outside. A hurricane (downgraded to a tropical storm) hit and the sheets of rain were sideways... was raining near an inch an hour with 60 mph wind and soaked the lanai... right up to the plugs outside apparently.

Noticed it all by the smell later on.... was the nastiest mess I've ever had to deal with. Soaked it with every imaginable thing from vinegar to baking soda. Finally got it acceptable to the powers that be.

Good luck on fillin' it all back up.

30-Dec-14
There are still some late cow hunts going on in CO, but not sure if they end tomorrow, or if some run into January. I don't have my regs anymore.

There are also "brain damage" (game damage) hunts that go on well into the spring. The CO CPW HQ in Denver should be able to provide a list of ranchers who get the tags to distribute. Some may charge a little, others may let you just come shoot one.

30-Dec-14
I am sorry for your loss. I have no info on elk hunts, but if you want to hit a hog operation and get some meat, try Shiloh Ranch

30-Dec-14
BigMo

Bummer about the freezer. I know right were you're at - to add injury to insult the smell cleaning it up can about make you puke too.

Buddy of mine is heading to Utah for a cow elk hunt in another couple of weeks. I'll PM you the name of the outfit when I get it. Can't vouch for the operation, since my bud hasn't hunted with them yet, and I don't know if they still have openings. They told him that they run about 100% success rate. It is costing him $1300.

Maybe check with Utah DWR, because if one outfit is offering a late hunt there may be others.

30-Dec-14
It's unbelievable to me that know one has mentioned the key to filling a freezer with cheap meat...here it is...May I have a drum roll please........ROAD KILL!!! Gas is cheap...ride the roads and find fresh kill. A police scanner is great for this and you will receive the hottest tips for the freshest roadkill.

30-Dec-14
Sorry for the loss of the meat. If you can always call D.O.W. up here in the NW part of the state and get the names of the ranches that were given damage tags.

30-Dec-14
I seem to remember reading a few years back that Oregon has some late season depredation hunts for ranchers who get a lot of winter range animals. They are cow only hunts.

30-Dec-14
PM sent on a possible Colorado opportunity.

02-Jan-15
Been there done that, and yes the entire loss was covered by insurance.

03-Jan-15
Never thought about the insurance claim. While I was sheep hunting last August I too came home to a garage smelling like nothing else I have smelled before. The GFI broke the circuit and I will be replacing the outlet with a regular one. Thankfully I only had some of my moose in it as the upright was full. Yes it does happen and usually at the worst time. IE August when you are hunting. Good luck on finding a tag. Might be cheaper to hunt hogs and roll with it. Bob.

03-Jan-15
GFCI induced power loss is a sneaky way to lose a freezer full of meat. Happened to me but fortunately I caught it before it was too late. Most garage circuits are GFCI protected. Current freezer has an alarm.

03-Jan-15
Strange that insurance will cover meat loss because of a loss of power but want cover if if stolen unless freezer is in a locked up place. Open garage freezers are not covered for theft.

05-Jan-15
I appreciate everyone's responses and suggestions. I found a cow tag and elk is hanging at the processor. Add to that a mule deer buck stuck Jan 1st and my new freezer is filling up!

05-Jan-15
Good deal, Big Mo, in what state?

Put five whitetail does in our freezer yesterday. It's not elk, but it's not empty, either.

05-Jan-15
TBM. your are a MORON and like a X wife. You just won't go away.

07-Jan-15
Kind of funny - not the loss of the meat, but rather the TBM situation. Personally, Im not a TBM fan or foe, though I would be fine with calling him a friend if I were to get to know him better. But have you guys ever thought about where he got his recent attitude. I think it was learned from all the crap he has gotten in the past from this very site - just a thought. But it does seem he is a bit more abrasive than usual. I do agree with Okie, TBM isn't going to go away. As a matter of fact, with all the ribbing that he has taken over the past few years, and he is still here, I think we all agree that nothing, or no one is going to drive him away. Plus he does add something to the site - just exactly what he adds is up for discussion, but definitely something.

One thought, and it isn't elk, but there are still a few states with open deer seasons, which would be a lot cheaper than an elk permit, or any other type of meat source for that matter. If that interests you, I would be glad to offer advice or suggestions. Also, I have a contact in South Carolina, where you could literally fill up a freezer with hogs, in a very short trip and with very little cost. Good luck to you. Believe me, I can fully sympathize with the whole freezer going out situation. Let me know if I can help.

07-Jan-15
I think I,m not the only one that is get tired of TBM. Terrible Big Mouth. I think it is all a scam. He can type a correct sentence in one post and then sound like a caveman in the next. Fake !

• Sitka Gear