nijimasu 29-Dec-14
Jdbowelk 29-Dec-14
TurkeyBowMaster 29-Dec-14
Flatlander 02-Jan-15
LINK 02-Jan-15
Monty 02-Jan-15
XMan 05-Jan-15
28-Dec-14
I am so excited, a friend invited me to go on a DIY elk and mule deer hunt in Idaho on Sept 2015. I want to be prepared for this hunt so besides the obvious of getting in tip top shape which wont be a problem, how would you plan for the trip? what would be on your list of things to do? What are the must buys for gear?

I already have a Garmin 650, compass, and topo along wth elknuts book on setting up and calling and how to handle certain situations.

The guy I will be paired with is not an experienced hunter, great guy and super funny but I am guessing that I will be doing most of the guiding on this hunt and helping position us for shots. So I got lots of learning to do from you experts :) So any other reading you would recommend or books to buy? How is Idaho, looks thick, how would you prepare to hunt a certain area for elk and mule deer to up the odds?

Thanks for your advice.

XMan

28-Dec-14
I'd prepare by picking one of the two species and focusing solely on that until you kill one or time runs out. I'd also prepare for steep country.

Good luck!

28-Dec-14
I'd also put in for a controlled hunt since you know you're going...

28-Dec-14
Yes Nick, so right!

After elk hunting there this past season, great shape is a must, cardio and more cardio. Idaho has some rugged ground, up, down and up again. My 2 best pieces of gear where a Black Diamond trekking pole and my Tenzing pack with a 3 liter bladder. I'm very glad I had both. Enjoy your trip and the preparation, they go hand in hand.

28-Dec-14
No mechanical broadheads [law]. Boots you can put miles on and gaiters. Extra game bags. Decoy can be good for calling since there will be two of you. Probably a heavier arrow if you are a Whitetail guy. Large sturdy pack. Good light weight rain gear. Good Luck with your Adventure.

28-Dec-14
I am far from any kind of expert, but I've learned some lessons....spend a ton of time on GE looking for elky looking areas and have a plan A, B, C, D. Stay mobile and be prepared to move camp if you aren't finding elk. Don't make a big, elaborate camp that is difficult and time consuming to move or you won't move it.

Good luck! What part of Idaho?

28-Dec-14
You font need anything but a diaphragm turkey call...no GPS or compass...just go downhill if you get lost and you will end up in a potato field.

28-Dec-14
2 hours north of boise, not too far from curtis lake area. its a full days walk in to where they like to hunt. are you familiar with this area?

yes on fixed heads vipertricks thats all i use anyway, and shooting FMJ's, total arrow weight is right at 401, so heavier than 401 or am I good with that setup?

I am there to hunt elk and if I happen to see a stud mulie then it will result in a quick stalk, definitely not going out of my way to hunt the mulie's. Although a few giants may distract me from the prize :) I understand what you are saying Nick, its good advice.

28-Dec-14
"its a full days walk in to where they like to hunt."

So you are backpack hunting?

28-Dec-14
Midwest, I think so but still many conversations ahead, I know tents and lots of walking so I would assume so but we are talking again this week so I will find out more about the hunt.

28-Dec-14
Forget the deer like Nick said. Hunting elk means finding them, blowing a couple opportunities, killing them, and getting them out of the hills. You're busy!

Get good boots and break them in.

Plan to hunt as many days as possible.

Try, if you can, to coach yourself to stay motivated halfway through an elkless hunt. Perseverance is the name of the game in elk hunting.

29-Dec-14
Get a wolf tag.

29-Dec-14
Midwest,

We setup camp not far from trailhead, I guess they use carts to tow in camp. tents, gear, food etc. Bivy hunts out of camp for days at a time backpacking in for 2 to 3 days depending on the weather and finding the elk.

One guy recommends a handgun? any reason I would need one? I am thinking its not needed but will heed the advice of you guys on this one. I have a license to carry but would rather not lug one around if I don't have to.

The trip plan is 2 days for travel, 7 days hunting, and then 2 days for travel. 2 days travel is for Boston to Boise flight, drive to area, then another full day to get camp setup.

I am a boot nut so no problem there, Vasque's are what fit my feet best, getting a new pair for spring turkey season, never have an issue with blisters with these boots and they stay dry with gortex lining.

all great advice, thank you all for posting, any major items you wouldn't be without?

29-Dec-14
The biggest thing you can do to give yourself a good chance of success is get in the best possible shape you can. Idaho may not have the elevation of some areas, but it has some of the most rugged terrain I've ever hunted (I've hunted the Lochsa drainage in the Clearwater NF and I've hunted the Hell's Canyon area).

Gear wise, boots are at the top of the list. I'd follow this by a sound layering system. Base layer, mid layer, insulation layer, outer layer (for rain and wind). There are lots of articles on how to build this system and even companies like Sitka and First Lite have plenty of information on their websites.

I'd look at a good pack next. You're going to be backpacking and have the potential to carry quite a bit of weight. Get a pack in your price range that can handle those loads.

Some of the areas I've hunted in Idaho are incredibly thick. Glassing is impossible. The strategy we employed was basically to get to the head of a drainage and bugle down into the drainage and see if anything answers. That or get to a ridge top and do the same -- bugle down one side then bugle down the other. Hopefully you get a response because if they weren't talking it was like finding a needle in a haystack!

Good luck and get ready for the trip of a lifetime!

29-Dec-14
Actually, your out of state deer tag can be used on wolf, bear, cougar, or deer, so research the unit you'll be hunting and see if seasons will be open while you're there. They likely are, by your description of the area you'll be in, but double check bear for sure- there are some controlled hunt only places.

As far as the handgun, I know a lot of hunters that like having them, unfortunately because of people as much as predators. There are very few dangerous idiots in Idaho but like anywhere else, they do exist. I think most people carry in the event of having to leave meat overnight and then returning. Always a chance you may find a bruin chewing on whatever you leave behind, and it's nice to have something loud to scare him (hopefully) off with. If I'm not mistaken, you can't actually shoot a bear with a bow or a gun over meat or gut pile in Idaho, because that would constitute using wild game as bait- which is a no-no.

Sounds like you're well prepared, I'd just reinforce that you will want to be prepared for the elements. Anytime you're in elk country in September in Idaho, it can be 80 degrees and sunny one day and dump a half a foot of snow on you the next.

Your trip sounds great. Wish I was going with you. Best of luck!

29-Dec-14
leave idaho for wyoming asap

29-Dec-14
I would pull a cooler on a cart and start out about half full of water and go up to a 56 quart full of water then start letting the air outda tires. Pulling gives you a forward lean and that is the perfect angle that simulates climbing.

02-Jan-15
I would prepare mentally, physically, and emotionally. Read as much as you can, test your gear before you deploy. I would carry!

I would not do what Turkeybowmaster has suggested although it sounds challenging you best training is your pack and step hill. It is the only that can "simulate" what you are about to endure.

Are you doing a seven day Bivy hunt or will be hunting out of a basecamp.

02-Jan-15
Don't forget to start toughening your feet up with sandpaper. :)

02-Jan-15
Next year will be my 4th year hunting just a little ways west of where you are planning, so I have pretty limited experience but I will agree with others that it is thick, rugged country. One thing that I can pass on to you is that the elk didn't seem to feed in areas that I thought looked good. they seem to really like the 2-3 year old cuts for feeding areas instead of the open meadows I expected. M

05-Jan-15
Flatlander,

Basecamp with 2-3 extended Bivy hunts.

Link, that's funny will have to use the beaches where I live for extended barefoot running with heavy pack on back, probably will toughen me and my feet up for those hills. Will need to wear dark sunglasses though, very distracting with all the bikini's laying about. :)

Thanks all for the feedback, I am learning a ton and getting enlightened to the challenge that lies ahead. Can't wait!

XMan

• Sitka Gear