Vernon Edeler 01-Jan-15
grasshopper 01-Jan-15
tjsna 02-Jan-15
mixed bag 02-Jan-15
pickaspot 02-Jan-15
jims 03-Jan-15
29-Dec-14
This year is the year!

I have 7 points for Wyoming. My name is Ben Micek out of Omaha, Nebraska. I am 28 years old and have been dreaming of elk hunting for the past 7 years and this is the year I am going to pull the trigger. My research has led me to look into applying for Unit 19, Muddy Mountain Hunter Management Area.

I have been very active in research, ordering maps, GPS Coordinates, talking to people, and looking for any help from all my fellow bowsiters in achieving this dream of mine. I am in the process of turning every rock over that I can and would appreciate any info, thoughts, experiences, success, on Unit 19. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Happy new year and best of luck to all those planning their 2015 Hunts!

29-Dec-14
I'd apply for a type 6 cow tag and hunt that this coming year then burn points in 2016. If you stay into Oct a few days you could powder burn one if it came down to it, getting you home with some Elk meat.

29-Dec-14
Good advice from Bob. I did exactly that in a unit I was considering burning points in and found I hated the unit.

You will learn the unit, hopefully tag a cow, and will go into the next season with a wealth of hands on knowledge.

29-Dec-14
I have a better idea!! apply with me i can use them points to get us into some good elk areas i have hunted in the past . plus u can also buy a cow tag !!! we all win :>

01-Jan-15
Call Heather @ Casper Fish and Game Office. I've been researching those southeastern units and she is a wealth of knowledge. 19 will have some private land challenges.

01-Jan-15
I would take city up on his offer knowing his elk hunting record. There are some good bulls in 19 but Nesser is correct with the private land challenges being a problem for that area. I tried hunting antelope in that country some years ago and access was difficult.

01-Jan-15
The issue with this unit in archery season is not only the small area for public hunters - but all the rifle hunters including cow tag holders for both the Oct and Nov season, bull tag holders for both Oct & Nov, and then the doe and buck rifle hunters ALL participating in a very small area in September archery. While there might be a few decent bulls around - all those hunters can make them jump the fence in a dam hurry. Once they jump the lone star fence - there is absolutely NO reason to leave. 5 years ago there was much more access. Since then the lone star bought the whole east end of muddy, and the other good area that allowed hunters. The guy will own the whole unit eventually.

Last time I drew it I was kinda excited thinking man I got a premo bull tag and the whole place to myself, and then I ran into cow hunters and deer hunters all over the place. Look at the quota for ALL licenses - anterled and anterless(deer and elk). That many guys will be there, and you all will be looking over the fence into the lone star ranch praying the elk will jump on your side(unlikely).

Quality hunts are more than just bull population or age class. Low hunter density is just as important and in this unit it can be a serious problem. Access has shrunk, while tag issuance has increased. You've waited 7 years, would you regret it if every canyon had hunters in it?

02-Jan-15
38-39-40-41 much better.

02-Jan-15
Unit 23 next door looks like it has a lot in the ways of WIA and a big HMA.Alot more room to work around I'd think.Personally, I don't like your choice on units with 7 points.That cow tag option maybe something to consider.Or go special draw and get a general tag 2nd choice and build another point.When you gout to hunt on the general, you can always stop and check out the unit your looking at for the next season;without your bow or gun of course

02-Jan-15
Thanks guys! This is all good info.

03-Jan-15
Almost every unit in Central Wyo has the same issue...giant ranches where elk hang out with hunting pressure. You'll see the same exact thing in 7, 16, 23, and 120 as in 19. In fact, I drew 23 quite a few years ago and there was a guy dressed in camo carrying a bow that every morning and evening was taking a giant loop spooking elk back onto a private ranch. It was blatantly obvious that he was not hunting. I got him on video several days and am still kicking myself for not taking the time to report him.

• Sitka Gear