kota-man 05-Jan-15
bigeasygator 05-Jan-15
bigbulls6 05-Jan-15
Ace of Spades 05-Jan-15
kota-man 05-Jan-15
huntingbob 05-Jan-15
elkstabber 06-Jan-15
04-Jan-15
I'm looking for help choosing between the Fly Creek UL-2 and the Copper Spur UL-2. Would be using solo, prefer the 2-man tents to allow room for gear. Am looking to upgrade to a lighter tent from my present Cabelas XPG which weighs 5 lb 7 oz. Haven't hunted elk yet but hope to DIY eventually. My backpacking experience has been mostly in VA Blue Ridge Mts but a 6-mile (each way) overnight trip to fish an alpine lake at 11,000 ft in Rocky Mtn Nat.Park last summer has motivated me to work on lightening my load. The two tents cost about the same. Copper Spur is 13 oz heavier (3 lb 2 oz vs 2 lb 5 oz) but I am leaning toward Copper Spur because it is roomier due to a cross-pole which expands the tent, also floor dimensions slightly bigger. The weight difference isn't a major problem for me (either is a big improvement over my present tent in that regard) but am interested in advice about performance, ie durability, ease of set-up, protection from the elements. Both get pretty good reviews in REI's customer feed-back but I would like to get the advice of folks who have used either model for bowhunting in the Rockies. Thanks in advance!

04-Jan-15
I can't speak for either of these two options, but really like the Big Agnes brand. I have been using the Seed house SL2 with titanium poles for my out west hunts as well as AK. I'm very pleased with how it's "held up", very light, easy to pack and to set up. I also like the extra room which allows me to bring my pack inside. The vestibule is just big enough to cook oatmeal with my jet boil in the morning and leave my boots at night.

Good luck with your choice, hopefully you get some feedback with the models you're considering.

DJ

05-Jan-15
I have used the UL-1 for a couple of years now and its been great. However for the very slight weight difference, I wish I had gone with the UL-2 for the reasons you stated above, as the one man leaves very little room for gear.

For serious backpacking I would stay with the lighter UL-2.

05-Jan-15
I have the BA fly creek UL2 and love it. I don't have any experience with the copper spur though. I used the UL2 in Colorado in 2013 and barely noticed it on my pack and was a joy to set up being its quality design. It stayed dry in rain and held up to some high winds we experienced. I used mine with my pack next to me which was a little cramped but not a deal breaker. I'm 6''2" 200 lbs btw.

Josh

05-Jan-15
I had a FC UL2. I used in in 2013 for my western hunts. Its a good tent kept me dry with all the rain Co had that sept. I am 6'3 so it was on the small side for me. I have since gone to a Kifaru mega tarp. That thing is huge compared to my UL2. Lol

05-Jan-15
Ive used both of those tents and own a Jackrabbit which is pretty much the same thing. They worked just fine for hiking/hunting from what I could tell. They don't break the bank either.

I liked using it in the fast fly mode best, pretty light that way.

05-Jan-15
Backstraps X2.

05-Jan-15
If you are over 6' tall go with the longer Copper Spur, as I touched ends in the Fly Creek. I currently use a Marmoth Eos 1p tent, it has a side vestibule to keep gear in and easier getting into than a front vestibule.

05-Jan-15
I haven't used the two your asking about, but I have used the Seedhouse and love it. Big Agnes makes some great tents.

05-Jan-15
I currently have a Seedhouse 3. Great tent but I don't like the access fly at my head. Next tent will have lateral access point(s). That stated, the Copper Spur would be my choice.

05-Jan-15

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
I have the BA FlyCreek UL2 for solo. I "upgraded" from a sil tarp. You will like your purchase. Only negatives. You need to crawl out the end, vs side access. Not a big deal but you usually have crap in the vestibule you need to crawl over or move out of the way. Also take some care as you open the fly over the vestibule, (Morning) if you have moisture or snow it can drop inside the tent.

It is not a two man tent. It is a two person tent if one of those people is a man my size and the other person is a fit, smoking hot woman! But then again, not much hunting would be going on! No guy I want to be that close to.

I lay my clothing and some hunting gear along side my bag inside the tent. (At night, My bow and backpack are outside underneath a sil tarp) Wet clothes, boots and pot/stove hang out in vestibule.

I would buy it again.

See UL2 in background.

No experience with Copper Spur.

05-Jan-15
camp photo camp_zps94465bfa.jpg

Another happy Fly Creek UL2 owner here. I've had mine for 3 Seasons now.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

05-Jan-15
Thanks to all who responded. Looks like I won't go wrong with Big Agnes. I believe the Copper Spur UL-2 is going to work best for me.

05-Jan-15
Even a two man doesn't offer much space. There's definitely a weight/comfort trade off, but I'm thinking of getting a 3-man tent for my next backpacking tent -- I'm looking at the Hilleberg Nallo. I've got a Fly Creek UL-2 and it's a great tent, but I found for a week long backcountry hunt I wanted a bit more interior space and a bit more vestibule space.

05-Jan-15
Jeff- I think your shower/out house is bigger than your sleeping quarters!

05-Jan-15
bigeasygator, more interior space is the selling point of the Copper Spur vs the Fly Creek. There is a cross pole which lifts the side walls. I think CS is a little greater height too. Also it has the doors on the sides rather than one on the end. If price were of no concern at all I would be looking at Hilleberg too, they get rave reviews.

05-Jan-15
FWIW, My UL1 would flatten in high winds when I was sheep hunting last fall. They probably are ok in the trees but above timberline they are weak in the poles. It did keep me dry during a nasty rain/snow storm. I had to repitch so the wind hit it parallel to the tent.

My size 13 feet/toes do not have enough clearance at the end either when up on a Neoair pad. I am only 5'-11".

05-Jan-15
"Jeff- I think your shower/out house is bigger than your sleeping quarters"!

Yeah Brian...if I could figure out how to pitch it on its side, it would be awesome.

LOVE that shower tent!!!

05-Jan-15
I've used the FlyCreek UL2 for the past few years. It's strictly a 1-man tent. Main advantages are the exceptionally light weight, the small packed size, and the tent has proven to be surprisingly durable. Disadvantages are the small size of the vestibule, not enough headroom to sit up comfortably for anyone 6' or taller, and the design of the rain-fly excludes the possibility of a screen peeking window.

Not a bad tent at all, and I'd consider it again. But in my next UL tent I would really prefer a larger vestibule, and perhaps a side-entry design, and also a design that allows peeking out without opening the vestibule fly.

05-Jan-15
I've had the FC-UL2 for the last two seasons of elk hunting. Great tent but the limitations have all been stated above. My hunting partner this past season had the CS-UL2 and if I was going to buy again I would go with the Copper Spur. The side doors and the two vestibules make a big difference to me. I will probably change when I get the chance, meaning extra $.

05-Jan-15
I bought the BA Seedhouse SL2 and used it for elk and deer this last fall in Colorado. I had it out probably ten times between scouting and hunting. Most of the time I used it solo but some of the time I had one of my kids along and we still made it work. It is a squeeze and putting gear in the vestibule can be difficult, but there is a price that you pay for an ultra light tent. Construction is top notch and BA really pays attention to little details.

05-Jan-15
I too prefer the CS UL2 for most of the reasons stated above. I know firsthand this is NOT a two man tent. My guide and I used the UL2 on a sheep hunt this past year and it was COZIE>>>. In fact, he slept with his leg out the door into the vestibule. Highly recommend the 3 man if you are EVER going to use it for two. The 2 man is about perfect for one guy.

05-Jan-15
Gotcha. I was looking at the specs and they didn't look too different between the two tents. I figured given that they were both listed as two man tents they couldn't be that different in size. I don't have a lot of experience backpacking, but I did stay in a UL2 for a week solo on a high country mule deer hunt. I didn't have room for me and my gear inside that tent (I'm 5'8") and the vestibule didn't hold much. I ended up leaving my bow and pack outside under a separate tarp. It looks like the UL3 weighs the same as the CS2. That was all I was getting at!

05-Jan-15
I have the BA Fly Creek as well works great but as mentioned crawling out is a inconvenience but tolerable!!

05-Jan-15
Lol Kota-man, I can't imagine 2 guys in there! You did save a few pounds going with one tent though.

05-Jan-15
Believe me, had I known, we would've had another tent. I would've GLADLY carried the extra tent.

05-Jan-15
Very happy with my Copper Spur UL2. Vestibule and door on each side. Really it would have to be an emergency for two men. But they could fit and sleep dry.Bob.

06-Jan-15
The Fly Creek UL2 is great for one person and gear. I like bringing most of my gear inside because otherwise mice will get into your stuff. It's a great all around tent but it won't handle high winds above treeline.

• Sitka Gear