midwest 07-Jan-15
Flatlander 07-Jan-15
pickaspot 07-Jan-15
cnelk 08-Jan-15
steve hay 08-Jan-15
YZF-88 08-Jan-15
Z Barebow 08-Jan-15
05-Jan-15
I have considered bowsite my best resource for success. I am in need of help making a decision......

I am 28 years old and have 7 pts to wyoming. I planned, and more than likely plan on applying this year for a tag. For the last month I have turned evey rock over, bought maps, called connections, reached out to hunters and I am getting a mix array of units to apply to. One person says best unit ever and next person says don't make a 7 year with of points mistake.

I am going to look at all the units I have been guided to research. What balance do you consider most important?? balance between number tags available and number of elk?. What do you think are some of the more important factors to look into? Public land access? Private land access? How big the unit is? Success rate? Number of elk? Number of tags? Number of hunters (including elk ?Deer combined) Terrain?

What if you had to put only two or three things to consider on a unit, what what would they be?

05-Jan-15
The first question would be what is your goal? Second one would be have you hunted elk before?

I always tell people don't burn your points if you don't know the first thing about elk hunting. Go hunt somewhere else first and get an education. Plus then you'll appreciate a great hunt when you go on one.

I don't care about the size of the unit. The number of tags isn't that big of a deal to me either because for the most part I find people to look for easy opportunities. I just plan on outhunting those fast food guys.

I have killed my share of bulls. So for me I look at the success rate on BIG bulls. Bull to cow ratio. Obviously land access is a no brainer. No sense in applying for a tag with no public land unless you plan to pay for a guide or access which requires a different kind of research.

Back to question #1.

05-Jan-15
MP- Ding Ding.

First question- Have you hunted elk before? If not, keep your points and pull a tag/buy a license somewhere to get some field experience. Apply for a general tag in Wyo, second choice and you will have fun.

It is a balance act on priorities and stats. No unit has it all. EX- In a few of WYO's highly rated units. But if you are NR DIY, most of the unit is off limits because of wilderness rule. Also dig deeper. Numbers can lie. I can think of places with a decent amount of public land, but much of it is land locked. (WYO and MT come to mind). All of a sudden, %'s mean little.

With the internet, most statistics are not secret.

As an example, my very first elk hunt was in 1998 in the Gila NF. I had allowed for a whole 4.5 days of hunting. (Two days of drive time either side of hunt). Hiked in 7.5 miles solo. As you can guess, I made so many mistakes in one of the better places to hunt. (I could fill a couple of chapters!) In spite of my ineptitude, I still came close to killing.(It would have killed me to get one out too!) Looking back, I wasted my inexperience on one of the best units anyone can draw. I have never had the quality of elk on a hunt since. Never have I been to a place like it since 2000. Draw odds are now cr@p and my experiences are now memories.

I will assume you have hunted elk before. If I were in your shoes, I would start off with all units on your radar. #2 list all of the items noted in your original post. (Access, null/cow ratio, etc) Now apply grades to all of those parameters. See which units have the best overall grades and work from there.

If you haven't hunted elk, put a season or two under your belt and implement above.

05-Jan-15
Another question is how many days do you have to scout? A lot of the SE/SouthCentral units like 7, 19, 16 etc. require you to have plan B... C, D, E, F, etc. because of access issues and too many tags for the amount of public ground. But if you have 15+ days to scout, you can make those work... OR pay the Wagonhound 10K and call it good... :)

05-Jan-15
Another good point by Cory.

Look at the units he noted. You will see very high success ratios on bulls. (IE Numbers lie) Problem is, WYO stats are not broken down enough. If the data broke down public vs private land. (Or private/landlocked public vs accessible public), things might not be as rosey.

Same can be said for units in NW WYO. Some very high % of bulls taken per tag holders. But you need to look at % of resident vs non resident in those units. With the high amount of wilderness, most NR bulls are taken guided in those units. (Not to say no res bulls are not take on guided hunts, but generally most residents are on their own) EX 60. It is a general tag, yet no NR is killing anything in that unit without a guide. (Other than a squirrel or a fish)

05-Jan-15
As a NR for the state of WY, I have the same issue with points. I'm Going after a type 9 tag in units without much wilderness. That alone scratches many units off my radar. Access, lower hunter numbers, higher elk populations and little to no wilderness are what I look at. I've decided on three particular units and will jump in when I am ready to.

05-Jan-15
Priceless info above. Seriously, one of the things to consider is your elk hunting experience before burning those valuable points.

Example - I personally know a guy who burned 18 CO points to hunt perhaps the best unit in the state. Huge unit, 77% public land, only 8 licenses issued during archery season, big bulls all over. He hadn't hunted elk very much and had never killed one before that hunt. He still hasn't killed one, even after hunting three weeks in that unit.

05-Jan-15
Yup, I'd agree with all of the above. If I was in your shoes I'd continue to build points until you have some elk hunting experience, assuming you have none at this point.

In 2013 I hunted elk for the very first time in a general area in Wyoming and had a good hunt, saw some elk, heard a lot of bugles, but never really came that close to shooting a bull. I learned a little and had a blast.

This past year I hit the lottery and drew a GREAT New Mexico tag after I struck out in the Wyoming draw. I still really had no elk experience. It was the most incredible 8 days of hunting I could ever imagine and I saw more big bulls than I probably will in the rest of my life, but in the end, my inexperience prevailed, and I ate my tag. Had I had a few more elk hunts under my belt I think things would have worked out differently and I'd have come home with one of those monsters in the back of my truck.

On the flip side, I gained as much experience in that one hunt as I would have in 10 OTC or general hunts. But, the big difference, is that I didn't have to burn any points to do so with New Mexico's random draw. Had I burned many years' worth of points on that hunt and came home empty handed, I'd have cried myself to sleep even more than I do now.

Good luck! And, seriously consider doing a hunt or two before you burn those points! I wish I was in your shoes!

05-Jan-15
Thanks guys. My dad has hunted and killed 3 elk (not a ton but not bad for DIY). It was all DIY hunting. He had read every book, every thread on bowsite on elk hunting, and he has over several hundred hours of experience, missed a giant bull then shot a smaller one two weeks later and had plenty of other close calls. So basically he is my guide with "experience" as we do this DIY. I have enough faith in him to get the job done. Thanks for all the good info. Like you guys said 7 points is a lot and I believe we can put ourselves in a position to score on a mature bull but just need to pick the best unit with the best chance. You guys rock

05-Jan-15
you dont need 7 points to kill a mature bull !

05-Jan-15
Some other factors that have been glossed over that carry quite a bit of wight in my opinion are; Where are you coming from? What kind of physical condition are you in(realistically), and will you be hunting from a truck camp, on your back or with animals. These factors could make a big difference in where you decide to use those precious points. Don't be the guys that go in expecting to pack in deep and hunt really hard if it's not realistic. There's no shame in not being able to, just don't fool yourself.

05-Jan-15
Your Dad is not you and will not shoot the bull for you.

I would recommend as everyone else to get some experience first before using points.

Of course it can be done with his help but after you get some personal experience you will be better able to wisely use the points you will never get back.

Get a cow tag in the unit you want this year, than decide the next if you want to draw. Hunting an area multiple times greatly increased your chances.

05-Jan-15
You answered a lot of the questions, but also didn't mention if you're willing to pay for private land access. That would completely change the unit recommendation. There is a big difference between what is available at 7 points on public and private land. Unfortunately, most of the best units that have trophy bulls on public land require max points and will for some years.

I would also recommend you go hunt CO, NM, MT, or WY leftover before burning your points. Even though you have your dad's experience, you will be so much better of an elk hunter yourself after hunting elk even for one year.

Trust me, this isn't going to be something you want to do just once anyways. Set yourself up for the best experience you can have with that 7 yr investment.

If I were you, I'd consider paying the higher price for the special elk tag, put in for a unit you won't draw that takes max points, draw a general tag as your 2nd choice, collect an 8th point, and hunt a general unit and have a great hunt, setting yourself up for a successful hunt in the unit of your choice when you use your points next year.

You could hunt the unit of your future choice with a cow tag, but IMO, hunting cows with a bow will not give you the same education as hunting bulls with a bow will. Although you'll know your unit better if you hunt it with a cow, you can learn the unit by scouting. What you need to do is learn the nuances of interacting with bull elk. Every encounter you have will go a long ways towards making your next hunt successful.

05-Jan-15
This IS THE MONEY THREAD for anyone who pays attention.

05-Jan-15
I would send in for unit 38. Lots of elk , no wilderness and im sure some of the bowsiters that have hunted there would give you some insight on areas...

05-Jan-15
The type 9 tag in 38 is a great tag, but with it, you get the disadvantage of being grouped up with 249 other archery hunters, all of which dumped several points on the archery only tag and are all looking for a trophy bull during the same season as you.

Don't ignore units that have a type 1 tag but no type 9 tag. If there's 250 type 1 tags given out, you will not see 250 bowhunters in the unit during archery season like you will in 38 because most of them are gun hunters. Personally, I'd rather see zero other hunters in a good unit than run into hunters in a great unit.

Don't rule out southern Wyoming and I'm not just talking about Wyoming Range. There are many units in Southern Wyoming that look like just sage flats from Google Earth, but have tons of elk on them. There are several units that don't have general tags that are trophy units and you won't see a spec of national forest in their boundries. Look to hunt private or BLM land.

05-Jan-15
Lot of great advice here...I'm impressed. I hunted mainly mulies in Wyoming but some elk also...but not since the late 90's. The posts about leftover/cow tags are good ideas: learn the country, find out for REAL the physical conditioning necessary to really go after elk, if you're bowhunting learn to judge real yardage...big critter, newbie can easily misjudge distance in the excitement of the moment...sounds ridiculous, but I've seen it happen. Save the points for when ur really ready...and savor the moment.

05-Jan-15
Pickaspot, I appreciate your optimism. On the CO hunt I mentioned, my friend had much the same positive attitude as you. His dad is a long time CO elk hunter and hunted that very unit twice in the past.

He learned what wildwilderness suggested, that his dad wasn't carrying the bow.

Seriously, unless you have some life event looming that will prevent you from hunting elk in the future (foreign job opportunity, marrying a woman with 8 kids, etc..), spend a couple seasons learning how to set up a shot and SHOOT elk before you cash in those points. Your experience won't be like a Primos video on a DIY hunt.

06-Jan-15
I'd pickup a general tag in 2nd round special draw.Then I'd stop at some units you have in mind and go check them out after your hunt.Or the leftover cow tag is a good idea.Gets you in the unit during hunting season and can see 1st hand if its worthwhile.Whats one more year wait

06-Jan-15
You guys are making this too hard..... my understanding is all you have to do is hunt em like a turkey....

"If you were me..."

If me... those 7 points would be burning a hole in my pocket just like they are yours! But then I've been known to sit in front of a microwave with a hotdog in it screaming "come on! COME ON!!"

OK... some really great info above. Having your Dad with you that has some experience will be a great help. If he's killed 3 public land DIY elk he'll have an idea on how to go about it. That's 3 more than a lot of folks who have a good number years of "experience" under their belt.

And in all honesty, especially a hunt with your Dad... putting anything off till tomorrow is a risk tomorrow may not work out. But nothing says you two can't get in a practice run somewhere OTC before burning the points and then you can BOTH carry bows.

Good luck on what you decide.

06-Jan-15
Had two type 1 tags about 10 years ago they were some of the best least crowded hunts I have ever been on. Seems like About one guy in forty actually archery hunts with these type one tags. Hard to get though.

According to a foolish magazine zero general tags were issued to nonresidents as a second choice last year.

06-Jan-15
Had two type 1 tags about 10 years ago they were some of the best least crowded hunts I have ever been on. Seems like About one guy in forty actually archery hunts with these type one tags. Hard to get though.

According to a foolish magazine zero general tags were issued to nonresidents as a second choice last year.

07-Jan-15
It is difficult to comprehend the difference between the ease of killing an elk yourself and helping someone else get one.

I've killed two elk myself and have failed to get 3 other people elk on 4 different hunts that I devoted to getting my partners an elk.

With app season looming and plans to hunt with 2 or 3 different friends/family, I had to have the conversation this week with them that even though I'll be going on 2 or 3 different elk hunts this year, I will need to spend some time alone. It's hard to understand till you've been through it, just like most things in life.

One more thing, I see you mention that you'll be happy with a "mature elk." And I'm sure you would be. Who wouldn't be on their first elk hunt?

But let me tell you from experience how time changes goals. Again I'll say, this isn't something you're going to want to do just once.

Those points are an opportunity at a "trophy elk," not just a "mature elk."

Trust me, trophy hunts don't come along every year. Get the newness out of it and save those points for a trophy hunt because 3 or 4 years from now, you may very well regret spending your points in the early part of your elk hunting career.

07-Jan-15
It's easy to see that you're chomping at the bit and are gonna pull the trigger regardless of the advice you've received. Get out there and have fun I guess? If it were me I'd go in a little more prepared if I had 7 points, sounds like most would.

07-Jan-15
I asked a similar question on this very site 15 years ago. The responses you are receiving are consistent with the responses I received.

I took the advice, went to Colorado on three DIY bowhunts and killed three raghorn bulls before I ever attempted to draw a trophy unit in any state.

If i had it to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

07-Jan-15
To me it's not so much what elk hunting experience a person has it's how much do you know about the unit you're hunting in. First time I ever went elk hunting was with my uncle who lived in NM and knew the unit we hunted as good as anyone and where to find bulls. I got tucked in next to a tree and arrowed the elk he called in.

I talked to guys who had never been in the unit and they complained of not seeing any bulls and were trying to figure out where to go. Now I know the unit good and I know places to go to get into bulls just about every day. If your a bow hunter you know what you need to do to kill game, if your new to a unit you might spend all your time hiking and trying to figure things out. Not saying experience doesn't help but I do think knowing the unit helps a ton. Good luck................................................

idyllwildArcher said...........Good Advice.......

One more thing, I see you mention that you'll be happy with a "mature elk." And I'm sure you would be. Who wouldn't be on their first elk hunt?

But let me tell you from experience how time changes goals. Again I'll say, this isn't something you're going to want to do just once.

Those points are an opportunity at a "trophy elk," not just a "mature elk."

Trust me, trophy hunts don't come along every year. Get the newness out of it and save those points for a trophy hunt because 3 or 4 years from now, you may very well regret spending your points in the early part of your elk hunting career.

You might just want to get a couple cow tags or antelope tags and hunt the unit you're wanting to elk hunt in. I know I wish I had my points back and could do it over again.

07-Jan-15
I guess I'm different than most here. Tomorrow is not promised, EVER. I cashed in a lot of Wyoming points last year, actually more than I needed to, and shot a bull that could be shot in any OTC unit in any state. Am I disappointed....absolutely not. It was one of the funnest hunts I've ever been on that didn't include my family. Saw a lot of elk, heard a ton of bugles, and got to work elk that are generally only seen on movies. Had a lot of great laughs, great meals, and over 2 weeks of great memories with a great hunting partner. Who knows maybe I'll kill a 350" bull OTC this year, or maybe I'll never kill one. Either way my hunt last year was what I hope for every year I go. Good memories, time away from the stress of normal life, big laughs, an opportunity, and some elk meat. Do what feels right to you and live for today.....who knows what tomorrow will bring.

07-Jan-15
Man you guys are awesome. I am jacked but at the same time my head is spinning too. As of now no decision has been made. Still trying to decide what route to go. Love all the advice. I am in a unique spot having 7 points and want to make the best out of it.

07-Jan-15
High demand LE units don't always mean big trophy bulls. I would bet most just provide one or all of the following... easy access, a high population of animals, low hunter numbers.

07-Jan-15
Great thread here. I am looking to hunt Wyoming this year and have got a lot of good advice from this site. Many things to consider when planning a hunt. I wish I was in my 20's, I would start buying points for hunts in my mid 30's.

07-Jan-15
Alright after some soul searching and your input I have opted out of applying this year and going into 2016 with 8 pts AND....drumroll....plan on cow hunting the unit I want to use 8 pts on this fall so I have experience and know the inns and outs of the unit. I have been advised to check out Muddy Mountain HMA which is unit 19. Anyone have any thoughts? Again I'll have 8 pts and willing to cow hunt a unit to scout for 2016. Any thoughts or suggestions on units would be highly appreciated. Thanks!!

08-Jan-15
I have hunted several 'Quality Hunts' or LE units. I would tell you that a quality unit doesnt necessarily mean quality animals, but it always means a quality hunt.

08-Jan-15
You will have a good experience in making this decision IMO. I have hunted wyo elk as a NR in a high quality unit twice, using all my points up recently. The unit had changed dramatically within 7 years of first hunting it. High expectations going in , not so high after spending time there the second time(unit 7). I made the mistake of assuming a "trophy unit" would be as good today as it was years ago. Things change, number of permits, access etc. Have fun with your Dad, go in with an open mind regarding "quality units" in the future and hunt for today.

08-Jan-15
I agree with Elkaddict. Go for it but be willing to put everything you have into preparing. My first ever elk hunt was a non-resident Utah limited entry tag a few years ago (on short notice to boot). I put a lot of time into studying every aspect of elk hunting that summer.

08-Jan-15
pickaspot- I have read your other thread on MM WMA. I would concur with advice give on this unit.

In carpentry terms, measure twice, cut once. (IE Research & Research- Cash in LE points once)

• Sitka Gear