gil_wy 05-Jan-15
huntforever 05-Jan-15
IdyllwildArcher 05-Jan-15
BUCKeye 08-Jan-15
wyobullshooter 08-Jan-15
Z Barebow 08-Jan-15
Beendare 08-Jan-15
05-Jan-15
Can anyone provide a simplified explanation of the various hunt type #s? I've read the WY regs a couple of times and can't fully understand the different #'s. I see General and Types 1 thru 9. If I understand, some are cow only and some of these #'s would allow me to come back during later seasons if unsuccessful during the archery season. Thanks in advance.

05-Jan-15
In general....Type 1 is either sex, rifle with the option to hunt during the bow season with the additional purchase of an archery permit.

Type 4 is antlerless, full price.

Type 6 is reduced price cow/calf.

Type 7 is RP cow/calf with special restrictions.

Type 9 is archery only with no option to gun hunt later.

Trust but verify...

05-Jan-15
I should add....the type 4, 6, and 7 generally allow for bowhunting with the additional permit.

05-Jan-15
Only thing I can add is a Type 2 usually represents a late season any elk tag... but still allows you to hunt archery with the archery permit...

05-Jan-15
Also, not all of the units allow you to purchase an archery permit.

05-Jan-15
General tag is like a type 1 tag, but has its own season. It's good in every unit that has a general season and each unit has its own archery season.

About 1/2 of all Wyoming units have a general season for which you need a general tag, although some units have a type 1 tag and a general season, both of which have their own season dates.

Look at the reg booklet that lists all the different units and you'll see. At the end of the unit section, there's another section that lists the archery dates by unit.

08-Jan-15
Thanks for the feedback. I have a better understanding, but still a few questions.

I'm looking at a unit that offers Type 1,2,4,5, and 6 tags. I see that Type 1 and 2 are any elk, Type 4 and 5 are antlerless, and 6 is reduced price cow/calf. I understand that I would need to purchase the non-resident full price $591 license plus $30 archery permit for the Type 1,2,4 or 5 hunts (or try the 'special' draw for $1071+$30).

My question now is what is the difference between Type 1 and 2 or 4 and 5? Type 1 and 4 have Oct 1 opening date. Type 2 and 5 have Nov opening date. Are these rifle opening dates such that if I buy a Type 1 tag with archery permit I could bowhunt in Sept then begin hunting with rifle (or continue with bow) on Oct 1?

Thanks,

08-Jan-15
"My question now is what is the difference between Type 1 and 2 or 4 and 5? Type 1 and 4 have Oct 1 opening date. Type 2 and 5 have Nov opening date. Are these rifle opening dates such that if I buy a Type 1 tag with archery permit I could bowhunt in Sept then begin hunting with rifle (or continue with bow) on Oct 1?"

The difference between a Type 1 and 2, and a type 4 and 5 is generally either a difference in the regular season opening day, or a difference in license limitations. An example of license limitations is the Type 1 would be valid for the entire area, whereas the Type 2 may be valid for only a portion of the area. Archery equipment can be used during the regular season, provided you wear the required fluorescent orange clothing.

Here's the section on special archery seasons I copied from the regs. For some reason, it doesn't allow me to copy the charts, so you'll have to refer to the Wyo G&F website to see the actual hunt areas they are referring to.

"Section 3. Special Archery Seasons. Hunt areas listed in this Section shall have Special Archery Hunting Seasons during the dates specified in this Section. Archers shall possess a general elk license or a limited quota elk license in addition to an archery license in order to hunt elk during any special archery season. Archers with limited quota Type 9 elk licenses are not required to obtain an archery license. There is no special archery season for license types with a closing date prior to September 1 as specified in Section 2. Archers with general or limited quota Type 1, 2, 3 or 0 elk licenses may hunt any elk in the hunt area(s) or portion of hunt area(s) specified in Section 2. Archers with limited quota type 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 elk licenses may hunt antlerless elk in the hunt area(s) or portion of the hunt area(s) allowed on the earliest opening date for which their license type is valid as specified in Section 2. Archers with the following limited quota license types may hunt the entire area during the special archery season."

08-Jan-15

Z Barebow's Link
BUCKeye- Depends.

#1- Not every unit has an "archery" season. Look at the link provided. Starting on page 7-16, you will see the archery seasons in particular units which are not covered by type 9 licenses.

These dates rarely change year to year. I believe the upcoming season dates are finalized in the summer. (July I think)

08-Jan-15
And not all areas with a General tag have the option to use it as an archery tag and hunt early. You have to cross reference that with the section that deals with the early archery Gen tag option.

• Sitka Gear