elkmo 09-Jan-15
ToddT 09-Jan-15
BULELK1 11-Jan-15
Tracker 17-Jan-15
KC9 10-Jun-16
jdee 11-Jun-16
jdee 11-Jun-16
07-Jan-15
If anyone has information that could be shared on any of these units, I would be very grateful - I am primarily talking trophy potential as well as numbers here, but could definitely use more help, if I draw the tag.

Basically I have been applying for unit 100 for way too many years and now that the chances are getting close to ten percent, I am wondering if that is the right choice. Many say that quality is slipping in that unit.

As for unit 24, I am thinking of this hunt for my wife. As she is one point behind max, and this isn't commonly considered a "trophy" unit, I was thinking of applying here for her.

Unit 124 has popped up on my radar - after seeing it a few times - but with so few tags and a much smaller chance of drawing a tag, Im not certain if I want to go that route, plus, I am not certain it is much better than some other units in the general area, other than having much lower hunter numbers. But I must wonder, would it be worth the wait?

As mentioned, please no specifics, yet. If I do happen to draw, I will definitely need some advice, but for right now, I just thought it would be nice to find someone who lives nearby, or has hunted in the last year or two, or has knowledge of the area to offer advice as to what to expect, should I or my wife, draw any of these.

A PM might be best, but whatever you guys are comfortable with. Thanks for any help.

08-Jan-15
the odds for unit 24 with max pts was about 2% for the reguler and special. you are going to have to wait a long time if nothing changes. eastmans last year made it one of the best units. if i remember correctly.

08-Jan-15
dmandoes, your draw odds for unit 24 are incorrect.

08-Jan-15
Draw odds for type 1 in the regular PP draw was 44.83% for max points.

100% in the special with max points.

08-Jan-15
Thanks for the help guys. And Midwest, thanks for clarifying. I believe last year was something around 10 percent for one point behind max in the special draw - not great odds, but possible.

One other unit that I had considered was unit 38 type 9. I have mentioned in past years, but I dropped the ball and missed applying for her for one year, and the worst part is, I was hoping and planning for her one GREAT elk hunt to be in Wyoming - oh well.

But back to unit 38 type 9, she has plenty of points for that hunt and I have read some information that said it was a great hunt so that is also an option, I just have it farther back in the folder for possibilities.

Personally, I am somewhat comfortable with my situation, 16 points in Colorado, 11 points in Utah, and max in Wyoming, and have a better plan for Arizona hunt after some good advice here. Now I fully realize that she/we can have great hunts without lots of points, etc. But usually, it requires several years of learning an individual area, and/or a guide, which we cannot currently afford.

I have asked the question before, but if anyone has a good suggestion for my wife in Wyoming, I am very interested. Basically what I want for her, and she wants is a fun hunt, with ample opportunity, and for the most part, fairly mild terrain. Quality isn't at the top of her list. A fun hunt that yielded a 280 bull would be great.

I believe with her points, she too has 16 Colorado elk points and 7 Wyoming elk points, if I can key in on the right area, I believe we can work with what we have - we are going to have to anyway, right.

Regardless, I am still interested, very much in Wyoming unit 100 concerning quality. I have heard it is a really fun hunt, but some have said to go in with expectations of 280 - 300 inch bulls, and because I have 3 over 300 inches, I am willing to wait for a few years for the realistic opportunity at a 320 or, obviously, better bull.

I do rely on some of the information that huntinfool puts out, but I do not believe they are always 100 percent accurate on all their information - but I do believe it can be utilized as a good guideline.

I just thought I would mention too, I spoke with a biologist last year, and he mentioned that there was mention of unit 24 adding a type 9 tag this year - but obviously it didn't happen - and that was my hope for this year, but as mentioned, it never came to fruition. But who is to say it won't happen in the future.

Actually, the magazine suggests that unit 124 has 350 plus bulls, but I gotta wonder, is that accurate, also, are there enough animals to have a FUN hunt? Personally, even I would prefer lots of opportunity with decent animals, versus trying to find 2 400 inch bulls hidden in 200,000 acres, with very few other animals in between. At the end of the day, the chance for a nice mature animal, and an enjoyable hunt is our primary goal.

08-Jan-15
I believe Dmandoes was looking at the ops wife's point total; max minus one.

Odds for 24 type 1 with 7 points (max minus one) were 3.7% in the special PP draw and only 3 tags carried over to the special random draw.

I'm also at max minus one and the upper end units are out of reach if you're looking at a type 1 tag.

08-Jan-15
Bob, he stated "with max pts".

08-Jan-15
you guys are correct. when i looked at it about a week ago all i remember is that my chances would have been about 2% either way.

08-Jan-15
unit popped up on your radar Hahaha U just told a thousand other folks to look at these units . I really dont understand post like this !!!

08-Jan-15
Thanks Eastman's! Between them and Hunt'n Fool a lot of good units have been hammered...

08-Jan-15
Pm sent Todd

08-Jan-15
City, I agree, to a point, but it isn't like any of these are a secret. They are at the top of the list for both eastmans and huntin fool. However, I just use those resources as a tool and hoped someone could offer insight into what is really going on there.

Case in point is Colorado Unit 21 for mule deer. My dad drew that tag about three years ago. He said it was way over rated. He did say he saw more racked bucks than he had ever saw anywhere, but it was tough to find one over 170 inches.

As far as not understanding posts like this, if you would like to provide advice on how NOT, to make posts like this and obtain the information I need, I am all ears, because I, as much as anyone, do not want to draw undue attention to any unit, especially when just one or two others applying can really skew the drawing odds. Basically, I live in the east, and cannot afford to hire a guide, or for that matter have the time, or money to simply take a trip just to scout or check things out. So, I do the quickest and cheapest thing, ask on the internet, and in particular here on bowsite. I do however ask for advice occasionally on Monstermuleys. For the most part, it seems that guys are very willing to offer advice, especially when it comes to units that may only be drawn once or twice in a lifetime.

08-Jan-15
My son had a 24 tag last year. Super fun hunt Lots of elk. Best bull we saw was around 330. He killed his first archery bull on day 3. 280 type bull. Pm me if you draw I will help you out. Just a warning where we hunted was the toughest piece of the unit. Up hill pack to get it out. This unit has a lot of roads just not where we went. We did see multiple Bulls in the area we hunted an no other hunters

08-Jan-15
You're not letting anyone with max or one-less-than-max points know anything new about mentioning units like 100.

I think the way to ask the question, though, is to say, 'I have X points and am looking for ____ type of hunt. Who's used max or one-less-than-max points, where have you gone, and what kind of experience did you have? PMs welcome."

No one in your same situation is going to increase competition for where they go, but there's a lot of folks on Bowsite that have burned points in WY over the past few years. You want to speak to them. If you mention a unit they didn't go to, you're not speaking to them.

09-Jan-15

U guys are SO WRONG!!! many bank points with no clue then google unit 100 wy !!!! read some hype and apply . I have 2 friends who have max elk and they never hunted elk !!! Why not just PM a few guys and ask around ? Many guys would rather PM then post on this tread.

Talking like this about a specific units is counterproductive.What if some guy comes on here and gives specific info on a canyon . How would that help u ?

Toddt dont expect hunting fool to help u out . I bet if u call they will try and get u to use a outfitter. Or give u a call list of hunters that usually never call u back !! Hunting fool is just that fooled you all !! I had a guy call me few years back Hunting fool told him to apply his 5 points in a unit that usually takes 1 point guy was totally clueless on the unit . He had delusions of 340 plus bulls. Hunting fool had led him down that road . Bio guys they read from a script and tell u and 100 others same Gen stuff. Ask him when he steeped foot in these areas last If i had max points i would research all info on the unit not just hunting related. Any info u can dig up weather related ,roads access into unit private land issues ,what kind of gear u would need for this unit . Whats the sense of hunting a unit if u cant get into the prime areas . Best of luck

09-Jan-15
IdyllwildArcher, you seem to always add something positive to information here, for that, I thank you.

You are absolutely correct, I just didn't think of it in that manner. By no means am I dedicated to any of these units mentioned, they are simply a few of the units that I have wanted to hunt for about 15 years. I have never drawn a Wyoming elk tag. I began applying for big game tags in the West about 16 years ago, I have drawn some difficult to draw tags in New Mexico, but never a Wyoming elk tag. With that said, I have always applied for the "best" units. Early on, after a couple of hunts in units off the lists, with a lot of money invested, and very little return, I decided to do my best to apply for better units. I am certain everyone can understand that.

One reason I did mention the units that I had interest in, is that I have seen lot's of guys come here and say, what unit should I apply for, and others sometimes chew them out for not doing some homework etc. and tell them to come back when they have their list narrowed, with more specific questions. I do realize there are great General units in Wyoming that can produce a great hunt, the problem is, if they are easy to draw with regularity, or if they haven't made it to the top of many lists, most aren't willing to share that information. But again, I am very interested in whatever unit that could provide a really enjoyable hunt. And though, it will be buried somewhat under the heading of the named units that I listed at this point, if someone happens to read this and has a suggestion, I would be very grateful.

I have seen all kinds here, some seem to resent those that cannot do it all completely on their own. Believe me when I say, should I ever be able to afford to, I would have it no other way, than making numerous trips all over the west to find what I want. Until then, I must rely on help - from whatever source I can get it from.

After reading some replies here, I went on to google some of these units, and what I found was that all can produce about the same quality of bulls, though some seem to have more of the top end, while others have lot's of,,, lets just say, nice bulls. For myself, I can kind of play the game of wait and see, but my biggest concern for right now, is my wife. From what I have learned, if, with if being the key word here, but if, my wife had max points, I would go all the way with 100 for her, until she drew. Because it is a physically easy hunt, with lots of animals in general. But with her being one point behind max, that makes it more difficult for me to find a hunt that suits her well. Though I am certain there are hunts out there that would fit her requirements perfectly.

Again, thanks for all the help so far, and good luck to everyone in the draws.

09-Jan-15
Interesting thread. I happen to be in one of these units quite often and know about the elk. I will share, however, not in public. PM the info. I also believe if I help you... you help me. There have been some guys that have helped me get started and I really appreciate the help. Just my thoughts.

09-Jan-15
'Talking like this about a specific units is counterproductive.What if some guy comes on here and gives specific info on a canyon . How would that help u ? "

It would help me a lot if I had that tag. You guys get so sensitive about spots you may never get back to. I asked a guy about a water hole that he hunted in an area he will never get back to at his age. Wouldn't give it up then I see a picture of the water hole on another post.

I do like IDY's way of asking the question as it may be more productive. But still dislike guys giving guy's s*&t for trying to be helpful.

09-Jan-15
'I have 7 points and am looking for a fun hunt with plenty of non-trophy opportunities. Who's used max or one-less-than-max points, where have you gone, and what kind of experience did you have? PMs welcome."

True story.

09-Jan-15
Thanks City. Like I said, I take their info with a grain of salt, so to speak. Also, I let my subscription expire about five years ago, because everything is pretty repetitive and as you say, very general.

Case in point, was my dad's hunt in Colorado unit 21 for deer. Carter was touting it as the best unit in the state for big mule deer. My dad, who is a resident used about 18 points on the tag. He almost turned the tag in, prior to the hunt, but in the end, he kept the tag. He did end up killing a 180 inch buck, but he had taken about a half dozen of that size, and bigger, in units that can be gotten into now for less than a couple points, granted, he killed the majority of his bucks in the hay day of the 70's and 80's. He also mentioned that he heard that Garth was hunting the same unit in the same season, but someone had mentioned that he was hunting a private ranch somewhere - not certain if this was true or not, just what he heard.

I also agree about the weather, terrain, and other issues. Especially for my wife, she needs fairly mild terrain, and she hates hunting in the snow, so yeah certainly those other factors are very helpful. And actually, I had hoped, and requested, for the most part, that anyone with info, PM me.

My plan right now, is just to try to pin a worthwhile unit that has a good reputation down, then once everything checks out and a few more calls are made, and maps looked over, etc. Then I apply. Then wait,,,, too long, then if we draw, I may even make a trip out in the summer, just to get acquainted with the unit, then hunt. But I have to get to that starting point. I do appreciate your advice, and to be honest, you seem to always be helpful as well, that is why I thought it odd that my post would raise your dander.

Thanks again though to everyone who has responded.

09-Jan-15
Tracker u ever stop to think maybe this guy with the water hole might have close friends or family that might hunt this spot ,or maybe he was given the spot by a friend and its not his to give up !!

It takes a lot of time effort and money to find certain honey holes !

09-Jan-15

elkmo's embedded Photo
elkmo's embedded Photo
My 2014 unit 124 archery bull...odds were 2.75% with max points regular draw. If anyone pulls the tag this year give me a shout.

ELKMO

09-Jan-15
Nice bull elkmo. I like the picture. It actually offers up a bit more of an idea of at least part of the unit, as I had pictured, simply antelope habitat, without thick stuff, just rolling hills full of sagebrush.

11-Jan-15
Hey Larry,

First and foremost how is your son recovering from his war injuries??

Couple years now-- so I am hoping all of our Bowsite Prayers have helped him along the grueling road to recovery.

As far as this thread------

I am Max deer points and no way I would ever do Pricey Fee...

I am doing the overlap LQ Deer in Wyo for 1 of your LQ Elk unit choices == 1??.

I have no problem sharing scouting intel/video footage with you if you and I do indeed draw those overlap units.

I am a Viet Nam in country vet so hell yes your son is invited to our camp!! as my Mrs will be home from her Deployment to Kabul, Afghanistan in Sept./2015.....if we both draw----

Good luck, Robb

PS. PM LQ Deer unit ~~ sent....

17-Jan-15
Cityhunter That waterhole is known to just about every Colorado resident hunter that has hunted Unit 2 archery. It has been a hot spot for years. Not much to hide in that unit. Only problem is that everyone wants to hunt it. Only new information is which one had water any given year and was productive during your hunt.

I had three guys PM me the location. The ranch owner from the ranch my buddy hunted drove us out to the spot to show it to us.

10-Jun-16
Labby PM'd you Thanks

11-Jun-16
+1 cityhunter, that's probably why you have posted so many nice trophy elk pics through the years. Tags are tough to draw and once you draw the competition is as tough.

11-Jun-16
+1 cityhunter, that's probably why you have posted so many nice trophy elk pics through the years. Tags are tough to draw and once you draw the competition is as tough.

• Sitka Gear