Gaur 10-Jan-15
Corn bore 10-Jan-15
mixed bag 10-Jan-15
Jaquomo 10-Jan-15
Swamp Buck 16-Jan-15
TREESTANDWOLF 16-Jan-15
keepitreal 25-Jan-15
09-Jan-15
I will be going out to Colorado elk hunting for the first time in September. Just wanted to see what people had for any tips or suggestions as far as what to expect. Clothing, equipment, supplies, shooting tips, calling tips, and anything else anyone can think of!! I would really appreciate the info. I'll be going with my dad and brother in law. I really want to make this a memorable hunt because I don't know if my dad will ever be able to make it back. Thank you.

09-Jan-15
is it a DIY or guided trip?

09-Jan-15
just search thru the older treads tons of info . Best of luck .

09-Jan-15
You and me both, PSEUSER :-) I'm in the process of planning my first elk bowhunt...

What I've learnt is as a British-based bowhunter...DON'T RELY ON STATE GAME DEPARTMENT STATS!!

More importantly [thanks Corey and Uthe excellent University of Elk Hunting DVD...]

1) Get away from trailheads/other hunters 2) Look for meadows where elk can feed 3) Look for where elk can water 4) Look for north-facing slopes where elk can bed in the cool

'Elk are where you find them'

Lots of really helpful folks here on Bowsite; just dont ask for honey-holes...show you have put your work in, and I'm sure you will get help.

Good luck and good hunting

Kenneth

(A British Bowhunter and Proud of It)

09-Jan-15
We won't be using a guide and we will be using bows.

09-Jan-15
As far as clothing goes, be prepared for temps ranging from 10-80+ in Sep. Also, rain can happen anytime, and snow is fairly common. Although I hunt Wyoming, I'm maybe 15mi as the crow flies from CO. One year we had 18" of snow the 3rd week of Sep. In other words, be prepared for anything ole mom nature can throw at you. If you can afford it, get your hands on quality clothing such as Sitka Gear, First Lite, KIUI, etc. If you ever get caught in a sudden rainstorm, you will regret, in more ways than one, cotton clothing! Keep in mind, rain that falls in the mountains isn't warm. Your safety, as well as comfort, is at stake.

As far as equipment goes, elk aren't just big whitetails. Shoot a reasonably heavy arrow at a draw weight as heavy as you can comfortably and accurately shoot. I highly recommend a one-piece, COC BH. Also, make sure you have all the knives, saws, game bags, packframe, etc., you need to get your elk out of the woods. Unless you've done it, you have no idea the task it can be to get an 8-900 lb bull out of the woods. This is further complicated by the fact you may have several ridges you need to negotiate, streams/creeks/beaver ponds you need to navigate, not to mention the ungodly downfall you need to get through. Most first-time elk hunters greatly underestimate what it takes to take care of the meat.

As far as shooting tips, practice severe uphill/downhill shots, as well as shooting from uncomfortable/awkward positions. Practice shooting out to 80yds or so. Although I would never advise anyone to shoot that far at live game, it makes those 40-50yd shots seem much easier. That said, most shots that I get in the area I hunt are 30yds and under. In fact, I've killed 3 elk that were under 10 yds. #1 tip in my book is set up in FRONT of cover when an elk is coming in. Set up behind cover, and 9 times out of 10, you're going to screw yourself out of a potential shot.

As far as calling goes, rule #1 is to learn how to use a diaphragm. Rule # 2 is...learn how to use a diaphragm. Yep, IMO, it's that important for a couple reasons. First, you can make every sound an elk makes with a diaphragm and grunt tube. Secondly, and maybe even more important, it's hands-free. You can have a bull getting ready to pass through a shooting lane, be at full draw, hit a mew as his near front leg is going forward, and have him stop on a dime, exposing his goodies. Doesn't get any better than that! Also, it's just as important to know WHEN to call as HOW to call. Overcall, or use the wrong call, and you screw yourself. Don't call at the right time, or call at the wrong time, and you've also screwed yourself. Like most things in life, experience is the best teacher.

As Barty states, elk are where you find them. If you want to backpack in for them, nothing wrong with that. HOWEVER, they can also be 100 yds from a major mountain highway. The trick is finding those places where they have food, water, nearby cover, and feel secure.

One other thing, and I'm not sure it doesn't trump everything else. I'm a very aggressive elk hunter, but only when the odds are in my favor. There are times when other elk, terrain, wind, etc., may dictate how aggressive you can get. HOWEVER, if the wind isn't in your favor, or it's swirling. that is NOT the time to be aggressive. Know when to press the issue, know when to back out and wait for another day.

09-Jan-15
As City said read thru the past elk threads and you will learn all you need to know.

10-Jan-15
great summary wyobullshooter!

10-Jan-15
Wyobullshooter nailed it pretty good. I have two thoughts about what he said. Learning to call is imperative. What is even more so is getting your fellow hunters to learn to call. I remember many trips where they didn't and I ended up being the 'designated caller.' That doesn't necessarily mean the caller (located behind the shooter 30-50 yards or so) won't get shots but fair is fair!

I thought he was going to forget to mention being aggressive. It took our group a while to figure out elk are not whitetails! Yes their nose is good and if scented they can run for MILES but noise isn't a big deal to them. Elk noise that is. They can sound like a bulldozer coming through the woods so don't get hung up on making noise. We were way too timid the first few hunts.

Good luck.

Oh, one warning: there just might not be anything as addictive as elk hunting...maybe needs to be an EHA: elk hunters anonymous!

10-Jan-15
If your dad is older make sure he commits to getting in shape and pick an area that isn't to steep or high for him. Both could be a real bummer for everyone in your group if it's too much for him and you then have to move down in alt or find less incline. I talked to a guy that this happened to and was a bummer

I found on my first hunt that you don't have to go 5 miles in. We camped on at forest roads and elk were crossing back and forth across the road at night. I shot my rat horn 0.6 miles from camp but had run ins even closer to the road than that Good luck.

10-Jan-15
Lol "rat horn". He was kind of that. Thanks auto correct

10-Jan-15
Forget the north facing crap hunt everywhere. Elk stay away from all the hunters on the north facing slopes and everywhere else there is hunting pressure. Trailheads can suck due to amount of people. Elk love sagebrush. Calling can be way over rated. Spend time in the field not at camp. Spend time reading a book while listening not just for bugles but for any noise a moving elk will make.

10-Jan-15
Don't think you need to hike in 7-8miles.I like to hunt as high as possible in Sept.Look for he$#@ holes nobody in their right mind would want to go into and hunt.Northslopes with water and feed close by have always worked out for me in finding elk.But, I'm looking for those spots off the beaten path

10-Jan-15
Stay away from bedding areas if the wind is even remotely swirly. Elk can smell you a long ways away, and may crash out, may quietly slip out and you never know they were there. Either way it's better to have elk to hunt tomorrow than spend another three days trying to find more.

Many elk "hunters" take years to figure this out. Many others never do.

16-Jan-15
Also from Wisconsin here and the fist time I went it all was a little overwhelming. The land is so huge all you can do is look around and say, where do I start, they could be ANYWHERE. If you go early and they are not talking yet you could be in for a real disappointing trip. Give yourself enough time. I recommend two weeks. This way you will not be rushed to get it done and give you some time to figure things out.

16-Jan-15
The more time the better, sure wish I had more than 7 days my first try. I didn't want to go home!

Best of luck

25-Jan-15
You have to want it.

In most areas you will be worthless if out of shape, but dont let the terrain discourage you, I have seen 70 year old guys not miss a beat coming from back east because they have taken the time to prepare physically. Again, you have to want it.

Also perpare mentally. You may have shot your bow thousands of times at the range but if you want to get serious, if possible, it would be good practice to shoot your bow ONE time EVERY DAY as if it were the only shot you get. As mentioned before, shoot odd angles and body positions. After the shot, think about where it hit and if marginal how it could have been corrected on your part. Even to the point of not taking the shot. Because you will likely only get one shot.

Some shops have a virtual video screen to shoot at. This can be money and time well spent at a range.

If you wound an elk PLEASE, PLEASE dont just shoot another one. Spending days tracking and looking can pay off in more ways than one. Even if you never find it

Enjoy :)

• Sitka Gear