Boly 11-Jan-15
Solitude 11-Jan-15
Backpack Hunter 11-Jan-15
Fulldraw 11-Jan-15
Teeton 11-Jan-15
jims 12-Jan-15
willliamtell 12-Jan-15
11-Jan-15
I am looking for a backpack for an upcoming DIY CO elk hunt. Plan on spiking out from base camp for 3 days at a time. Looking for a pack that i can hunt and keep all my gear in my pack (sleep where darkness find me) and get the first load of meat out back to base camp if needed. Ive done a lot of research. Im aware Kifaru is a popular pack for most but very expensive. I am considering picking up one of the Tenzing packs. Either the 4000 or 5000. They both weigh 7.6 lbs, which is a little heavy but i like the way they r made. Does anyone have experience with either of these especially packing out meat. Ive read some old threads saying the straps would slip with loads over 60 lbs. curious if they have made any upgrades and if i could fit 3 days of stuff in a 4000. Plan on going light

11-Jan-15
Check out the pack thread.

11-Jan-15
I saw the "need a pack thread" but no Tanzing info there and it seemed most were referencing daypacks. I do like the X2's and the 2200 but i dont think they r ideal for multi days

11-Jan-15

orionsbrother's Link
He's talking about kota's review thread

11-Jan-15
Great thread And a lot of good info i will take into consideration, but im still hoping to get some feedback on the Tenzing packs. The packs reviewed in that thread are out of my price range

11-Jan-15
I guess I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. I cannot give any report on the Tenzing packs. I can however give feedback on the BL2200 and the X2 since I have owned both. I feel that the X2 and the 2200 are great day packs for elk hunting. I have carried out the first loads(quarters) back to camp. I did not like either for multiple trips or heavy loads, out of the two I liked the X2 the best for that. I started a search for a pack that would meet that need as well as multiple day trips like you are. The result of my search for a pack is I bought a Kifaru T2. After speaking With Aaron there we decided on this model for my needs. I would recommend you call him at Kifaru and he will help you, even if it's not a Kifaru (so I have heard). Aaron knows his stuff. Good luck in your search.

11-Jan-15
Ideally, how much are you looking to spend? I am a huge proponent of purchasing used as there are extremely good deals out there on barley used high quality packs for your stated use.

11-Jan-15
I have not had good luck with Tenzing. Arm strap broke, stitching came undone, not comfortable with weights above 35lbs. That was one pack, used only for backpacking and it did not last a backpacking season. I ended up giving it away to a guy that was going to repair it himself.

11-Jan-15
Tenzing warranty isn't what the others are either...In fact, I haven't been able to reach them for warranty...

Go Badlands or Eberlestock

11-Jan-15

Teeton's Link
Check out the Exo Mountain packs. I got to see one first hand last year elk hunting. Not a bad pack for the price the 5500 is the one I think would suit you for what ur talking about. It's lite weight pack and you can wear it as a day pack pull in tight.. Pull pack away from frame and put ur meat in between.. Packs are like boots you need to try it on, loaded up to see if it's going to fit/work for you. I like my Kifaru dt2 5500 for what ur talking about. Ed

http://exomountaingear.com

12-Jan-15
You may find that it is nearly impossible to effectively bowhunt with a pack on your back over around 30 lbs. If you haven't ever hunted elk before you may want to try a fairly light backpack spike camp that you hunt and return to each evening. Sleeping where you end up may sound great on paper but trust me on this...it isn't what it's cracked up to be! If you think about it,,,put on your loaded pack with your bow attached and try holding up your binocs with your 45 to 60 lb pack on your back. You may find that it is nearly impossible to hunt and stalk quietly with a heavy pack on your back. Try this for 8 hours a day on 45 degree slopes, and 8,000 to 10,000' elevation. I think you get my point!

If you happen to be hardcore and try this I would recommend a 6,000 cu in pack that is designed for fairly hefty loads. Your legs, shoulders, and back will thank you! You may also find it difficult to get 3+ days worth of gear inside smaller packs. Overloading a 2,000 to 4,000 cu in pack is just asking for trouble! Smaller packs aren't designed for weights over around 30 to 40 lbs. If you get a bull down you will also be faced with additional trips packing him out. Do yourself a favor and take a look at larger packs designed for 60 to 80+ lb loads for multiple night trips!

12-Jan-15
Agree with Jims that going too small will result in you leaving something in the car or trying to do some half@ssed lash job. A three day spike will let you go lighter on food and clothes but you still need enough of everything to cope out there. Try looking at packs that have a good compression strapping system so you can shrink it for day hunts but it won't be a drag when hauling large and heavy. Love my mystery ranch, but it is considerably heavier than some of the offerings out there.

• Sitka Gear