Dirty D 13-Jan-15
Dirty D 13-Jan-15
Reflex 13-Jan-15
TSI 13-Jan-15
txhunter58 14-Jan-15
Ace of Spades 14-Jan-15
ohiohunter 15-Jan-15
12-Jan-15
I am finally going to do my first elk hunt this year. I am a flat-lander from the Midwest who has hunted whitetail for my entire life, but who has always dreamt of chasing elk in the mountains.

The hunt will be in CO and will be semi guided by some experienced friends. I have realistic expectations on this hunt, tactics is not really what this thread is about.

Being a flat-lander I lack gear for the mountains and I want to start acquiring gear now to help deal with the $$$ bleed.

My main concern would be good boots. I own 4 pairs of rubber pull on boots and a pair of lace up un-insulated redwings. None of these are up to a mountain terrain. Please advise me on a good boot that is warm and forgiving to the feet in the $200 or less range.

Beyond that I would like to see some gear lists and product recommendations. This will not be a bivy hunt; the pictures of the tent I will be staying in, it looked more like a cabin!

Also, I love to waterfowl hunt and would like to find a good outfitter/guide to do a shot on the way out of CO if anyone has a recommendation.

I appreciate your guys input, and Thank you in advance!

12-Jan-15
You're going to get a lot of "what ever fits YOUR foot" posts and it's true. My only advice would be to not skimp when it comes to boots for the mountains. Blisters or other foot problems could finish your hunt or at the very least make it pretty miserable. I've had great luck with my Cabela's Meindl Perfekt Hikers.

12-Jan-15
I always wear my Danner Pronghorns when chasing elk in MT. They are light and sturdy, with good traction.

12-Jan-15
For the budget-minded hunter, I would suggest Danner Pronghorns for boots. You don't need much (or any) insulation during an elk archery hunt. Just make sure to get a couple of pairs of good merino wool socks. They make all the difference when hiking in the mountains!

I would also pass on the waterfowl option. You will want to spend as much time as you possible can in the mountains. That is certainly up to you though.

Do you have any other gear yet? It will help to see what you currently have and what your budget is for the other items. Just like anything in life, you can spend a LOT to a LITTLE for each item and typically, the cost is directly related to the quality (toughness, weight, etc.).

12-Jan-15
Do yourself a favor and go try on a bunch of different hiking boots at a reputable hiking store... Everyone needs different boots because feet are different.. Once you buy a pair go hiking in them, and wear them to break them in. You want to be sure they'll work before you go. You can get by with a crappy pack or a crappy bow even, but a bad pair of boots can be hell!

12-Jan-15
I know guys that hunt elk in Tennis shoes. Just get something that fits well and make sure they are well broken in. Waterproof is a good idea too.. I have a pair of Keen Hikers I wear ($129.00). Lightweight, waterproof, almost like Tennis shoes. Have never had a blister. I do wear nothing but Merino socks. Pricey, but worth it. I have more money in socks than my boots.

Really you don't need a lot. Just get a decent daypack, although I have migrated to more expensive stuff. My brother has a pack frame for getting the meat down, but you should make sure you have a few in the group that have that.

Any camo you have should be ok but steer away from cotton.

BTW...danner pronghorns suck...lol (for me anyway) I do use mine for backups, but have to judiciously tape prior to using.

12-Jan-15
I have used Pronghorns for years. Some don't like them. The most important thing is get something that fits a and break them in REALLY good. I also swear by merino socks. I have gone west for twenty years and never had any foot issues.

I will also suggest to throw a small bottle of foot powder into your pack/pocket. Don't be afraid to stop a couple times during the day. Take off your shoes and socks and put a little powder on your feet. Leave the shoes and socks off for a few minutes in the sun to dry while you eat a snack. You'll be amazed at how fast the socks will dry in five minutes...and yes they will have moisture even if you never step in water.

12-Jan-15
Yah I knew boots were critical! I know no one can tell me the exact boot because everyone has different preferences and fits, but I have no experience with mountaineering/hiking boots so I need a starting point.

As far as gear that I have, I am in the woods 80+ days a year so I have a fair amount of gear but nothing specific to mountaineering.

I already subscribe to the merino wool fan club, I have smart wool, wigwam, and danner merino socks. I have minus 33 base layer merino wool. I have gamehide mid layer and browning XPO outer layer for cold and rain/snow. (I haven't stepped over to the KUIU or Sitka gear yet, but would love too. Realistically I probably will not buy any new clothes) Gloves and hat no problem.

I have an older Dwight Schuh treestand frameless pack with a camelback that will work, but I would love to have a better back. The crew I will be meeting up with is said to have pack frames for meat, but I would love to have one of my own.

I am good on hunting basics, 8x42 minox binos, a havalon knife, Matthews bow well tuned with COC heads (need a better quiver), I basically have everything that you would need to spend a day in a deer stand.

I need a good sleeping bag, a mat or a cot, and I know nothing about elk calling (yet.) ( My poor wife has had to listen to me learn how to blow a duck and goose call for years, she will s*%t when she hears me elk budging in the back yard.) I would like a suggestion on a decent call.

I am probably lacking a lot of standard stuff for a camping trip, and probably some hunting gear that I never though about.

12-Jan-15
good gear lists would help. I have searched for them, some are better than others. If anyone has a link to a GREAT one, that would help.

12-Jan-15
Get Camofire updates every day and you can save $$. Look on the classifieds on here and elsewhere. Unless you plan to become a sheep guide you don't need to spend $10k to gear yourself up well.

12-Jan-15
There is no "one" magical gear list. Everyone hunts differently, in different places under different conditions. Look for the parallels in all the different lists. I have half dozen lists depending upon where I'm hunting that week. Another dozen I've printed out from the Bowsite and from friends.

Enjoy the journey of preparation!

12-Jan-15
Ace of Spades was dead on.

12-Jan-15
Start with boots now! You can buy a pair that feel good initially and might hurt like hell when they're broken in. I have a pair of Meindl lightweight hunters. They felt ok when I tried them on. After 100 miles they hurt...bad! I was going to start over with a different brand boot, but I was still putting about 3 miles on them every morning. Slowly they started to feel better. I continued to work them until one day I realized that my feet felt GOOD with them on. A year and a half later they're as comfortable as a pair of sneakers.

12-Jan-15
A lot depends on if it's an at tree line and above alpine hunt or are you going to be in the flat tops at 9k and below in the aspens and such. I hunted several years in clothes that would have been at home in your woods minus the rubber boots. Good rain gear is a must just like the boots, with good rain gear provided you didn't leave it in camp you will be set for most any weather you are likely to see in September. I personally like Badlands packs for the quality versus price. If your going to hunt the high country you need better boots than you need hunting something like the Flat Tops. I wore the Pronghorns for years but my foot is narrow and they just didn't fit that good, bought some mountaineering boots that actually fit my narrow foot and now I'm not a fraction as tired at the end of the day. If you have a normal foot the pronghorns will work just fine in most locals. And unless your just awfully cold natured, you don't need insulated. I second watching camofire like a hawk!

12-Jan-15
As for boots make sure they're waterproof period. As for clothing make sure it's quite and low profile not bulky and waterproof. Since your going with friends that will do all the calling you only need one mouth reed cow call to stop that big boy for a good shot. No words can explain how tough these bulls are so take good shots only and make sure your broadheads penatrate deep. Good luck there is nothing funner than screaming bulls.

12-Jan-15
+1 on the Keen hiking boot recommendation. Very nice boots. I also bought a pair of Irish Setter Varptreks for my NM archery elk season last year, and they worked well for me. I paid about $150 for them, and I've used them pretty heavily since mid-August, and I'm pleased with them.

I also have a Kelty Cache pack frame that is really nice for carrying out quarters. I got half of the meat from a full-grown cow elk on it this past season, and it carried the weight well.

I would also get a folding saw for taking the skull cap off unless you want a European mount. You can cut down quite a bit of unnecessary packing-out weight if you cut off the bottom of the skull. I would go with the Wyoming saw or, if you want to go a little lighter, the Gerber folding bone saw works well also.

I know some of the purists are going to hate me for this, but the Hunter's Specialties Mac Daddy is the easiest bugle you'll ever use. I would try using a diaphragm first, and if you can't be consistent with it, I would get the Mac Daddy; it is very easy to learn and be very consistent with. I also have several of the Primos elk calls (cow girl, hyperlip, hoochie mamma, and lip service) for my cow elk sounds. I like to have several because you never know which one will work on a particular bull, and I like to be able to change it up some if I'm not getting much response from a particular call. I really like the open reed calls as you can mess with the sound a little easier than the ones you pinch with your teeth.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck, and have fun!

12-Jan-15
I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, and I like them now, but it took me over a year to break them in. Just be aware, Kenetreks are notorious for heel blisters and it took a lot of work breaking them in and finding the right socks (Darn Tough brand) to get them to work.

12-Jan-15
Cow calls -

Berrys Sleazy cow call or the little square Cow Talk are the easiest ones I've found that actually sound like a cow elk.

12-Jan-15
I definitely agree with the sentiment on the Kenetreks. I got my first pair two years ago, and they still give me heel blisters when walking up steep inclines. I have to tape my heels before using them or I regret it later. It irritates me that a $400 pair of boots that's meant for steep, rough country rubs my heels raw when going up any kind of incline for longer than a couple minutes. After two years of wearing them, they still do it. They are tough as nails and will probably last me 8-10 years, but I sort of wish they wouldn't so I could justify to my wife why I'm buying a different pair of boots. Everything else on the boot is top-notch, but the heel problem is frustrating.

12-Jan-15
If you give us more info about elevation, style of hunt (spike camp/hunting from wall tent), what time period, and so on- then we can steer you the right way. Because if you're hunting from the vehicle every day then knowing what I use is useless because I pack in and hunt from a lightweight tent. That will also dictate type of pack.

12-Jan-15
Sleeping 9k, hunting up to 9900. Hunting Sept. rut. Sleeping in a wall tent.

12-Jan-15
So you're sleeping gear doesn't have to anything too special as weight is of no concern. As for pack you'll want a daypack that can haul meat or two packs, one for hunting and one for hauling meat. With your boots I see you said mountaineering boots, I think those can be a mistake as many have very stiff souls which cause fatigue when walking and may lead to heel slippage. Temps will be 20-60+ so boots/clothes don't have to be real heavy. Clothing wise a layering system can allow you to cover many scenarios with only a few pieces of clothing (she'll, insulating layer/base layer) as opposed to several different pairs of camo. Again this is all relative because you're not carrying it all in on your back so weight and amount of items are not a limiting factor. You'll want a hydration bladder for your pack because the dry conditions will require you to drink more than you usually do when exercising. A water filter may be needed unless you are going to bring water. Katedyn makes some good filters, I use the hiker pro. A good stove would be the MSR Pocket Rocket. Platypus bags work well for storing filtered water.

Gregory z65 pack// Katedyn hiker pro// MSR pocket rocket// Kuiu clothing// BA Fly Creek UL2 tent// Havalon Pirhanna knife// Game bags// Hoyt CRX 32 70#// Easton FMJ 340's// Magnus Stinger 2 blade 125 grains (510 grain total arrow weight)// Garmin Oregon 450t with 1:25,000 TOPO maps// Topo maps // At least 2 compasses// First aid supplies// Survival kit// Sitka rain gear// 3 pairs of socks// 2 pairs of underwear// Synthetic Base layer// CHAPSTICK!!// Baby wipes// Advil// A book// Gaiters (help to keep dew from soaking socks/pants)

Josh

12-Jan-15
Good boots, good socks, gaiters,merino wool,rain gear that will dry quickly. I got my cabelas rain gear wet on the horseback ride in last year, they didnt completely dry out for 4 days being that we stayed in a wall tent.I also recommend a warm sleeping bag,pad and a gps. Good luck!

12-Jan-15
Last year I was in the same boat as your in right now. I listened to many and here is what I ended up with. I hunted Colorado and we had a basecamp and did not have to pack all of our gear in. I say that because what I bought might not be the best if your spike camping.

3 of my friends recommended the Lowa Renegade boots and I can say they are very comfortable. One of the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I also bought a pair of danners which I could not get broken in to save my life. Gave them away.

Good wool socks. Merino wool base layers. I bought a Cabelas pack frame from the bargain cave for 75, not the best but worked. HornHunter pack with bladder, has the quiver on the one I have. Sleeping bag was a Cabelas square bottom bag, I did buy the biggest Cabelas cot, I think it is the outfitter cot.

13-Jan-15

Dirty D's Link
Here's mine.

13-Jan-15
Thank you guys, this is all great info.

DD you mentioned a bivy gear list on your site, but I never could find it, do you have a link. Also, I noticed your book and I plan to order it this evening when I get home.

Everyone, Are there any other books or sites out there that are recommended.

13-Jan-15
Take a look at light weight hiking boots sold to hikers/backpackers. They have a lot of boots that are very light and have very good grips on the bottom. Many are little over ankle high but they are good boots for hiking provided you are not carry really heavy packs for long distances over tough terrain. Sitka Gear and Kuiu make really good clothing designed for mountain hiking/hunting. Well worth the price if you can afford it. They usually are running internet specials clearing out stock at this time of year and your could save 30% or more on gear.

13-Jan-15

Dirty D's Link
Here's a better look at what my bivy gear would consist of; I don't really keep a separate "bivy" list per say, I just leave a bunch of stuff behind (from my all encompassing list) if I'm carrying everything on my back!

Can't believe that post was already six years ago... time fly's when you having fun! A couple notable changes. I never bother with MRE's anymore, WAY too heavy. And my go-to shelter is my two-man Big Angus (Fly Creek UL2) tent weighs what my bivy+tarp weighed, so I seldom do the strict bivy thing anymore, although it still has it's place in the arsenal.

13-Jan-15

Dirty D's Link
Double post...

13-Jan-15
I highly recommend visiting Elknut's website and buying his instructional calling c.d.'s. Google him and he can get you fully outfitted with everything you need for calling.

13-Jan-15
The only advice i can offer is listen to the guys that truely know and not to TBM.

14-Jan-15
Goal is to stay warm and dry while elk hunting. That is a tall order some times!

1. Boots. Nonisulated to up to 200-400 gr insulation. 90% of the time, I use my uninsulated boots in September. Lightweight, gore tex. Lots of options here. You have to cover a lot of steep country for elk. If your feet aren't happy, you can't hunt effectively! There is really only one option for socks: Merino wool! Something like smartwool that has around 70% wool

2: longjohns. Don't think warmth here, you only want a medium thickness. The job of these is not to keep you warm, but to transfer sweat to the outer layers and keep you dry. When you move in the mountains, you WILL sweat! Merino wool rules here, but a good pair of polypropylene ones would suffice and are cheaper. NEVER use cotton.

3: Raingear. I only take packable raingear that fits over everything else I have and it only comes out of the pack when it is raining or in high winds (since it serves as a windbreaker too) I personally use Cabelas rain suede. Regardless of what they say, "breathable" rain gear is not that breathable, so you only want to wear that layer if it is raining.

4: Sleeping bag and pad. I usually take a 20 degree bag in September. The pad is as important as your bag. Keeps you off the hard ground and insulates your underneath.

5: Have you been to and slept at 9000 ft before? Did you have trouble with the altitude? Drink lots of water, avoid alcohol and caffeine until you get acclimatized, and try to get there a few days early and limit activities for first few days. I have to take a product called altitude advantage that helps we counteract the symptoms I get with high altitude. As stated, take advil for sore muscles and headaches.

6. Believe it or not, I take vitamin C for sore muscles. Makes a BIG difference. You have to take megadosages, but I have read somewhere that it helps repair some microtears in your muscles. I take 2-3000 mg twice daily. When I wake up in the morning, my muscles are tired and a little tight, but they don't ache like they do if I don't take the C

14-Jan-15
Expect to have at least a low grade headache from time to time from the altitude.. Drink lots of water and have some Advil handy! Like I said above you'll pay the price if you forget Chapstick! Whenever you filter water drink as much as you can then so your supply lasts longer.. If you wait to drink until your thirsty then it's too late... You'll want at least three ways to start a fire and as many forms of navigation. Pack and repack before the trip using a checklist. Weigh your pack so you know how much it weighs and don't be afraid to pair things down. If you pay attention to the ounces then the pounds will take care of themselves. The place where you'll shave the most weight is a good tent, pad, sleeping bag, and also the amount of extra clothes you'll carry. Plan on wearing the same stuff day after day with only the esssential backups like socks. If things get wet make sure to lay them out in the sun in the middle of the day, a couple of hours will dry anything unless it's cotton. Don't bring/wear cotton.... Cotton kills.. Pack able rain gear is the only way to go.. As said above light weight rain gear that you put on over your camo if need be. Also don't underestimate its ability to protect against wind' if you get cold! Make notes of what worked and what got used- so next time you can be even more efficient. When looking for gear the backpacking industry is where it's at for pretty much everything except a pack and camo. They've been there and done it for far longer than the hunting industry. Backpacker magazine has good gear reviews- tents, boots, sleeping bags, pads, and food.

15-Jan-15
+1 Shane. I suggest getting your feet in some Lowas. I have the ranger gxt's but found them to be a bit heavy. Now I wear the Renegades, fit like a glove and little to no break in time. I recommended them to an ohio friend coming out to hunt and he had zero boot issues.

For a bag I would look for a rating of 0. Being from ohio and doing a CO trip I found the dry air to be oddly cold compared to back east. 50's felt like low 40's or colder. I currently use a Kelty cosmic, it works well and its still light enough to use for backpacking. Personally I would find gear that will be of use in the future whatever it may hold, don't just get bare bones you may regret it... cry once. FYI, it frosted during my early sept hunt here in NM.

As for a meat hauler I wouldn't worry about (sounds like you're buddies have you covered) unless you find one cheap b/c I had to have one myself and now I realized my hauler sucks. After having hands on you will have a better idea of what you need and again cry once... I'm still crying. If you must I would suggest a kelty cache, inexpensive and comfortable enough.

• Sitka Gear