13-Jan-15

Ed's Link
Elk and antelope draw is open.

13-Jan-15
Does anyone know when you will hear results? Thanks

13-Jan-15
Early April

13-Jan-15
I plan on buying my first pp for az this year. Any advice on the process?

Do I have to front the whole tag price?

Thanks

13-Jan-15
You must buy a license before or when you apply ($160). It will cost you $15 plus a license to apply for a bonus point (which is slightly different than a preference point). If you apply online with a CC than they only charge your card for a tag if you are drawn.

I would purchase a license and use that license number to apply for all the drawings in 2015. Once you have your license each species will cost you $15 to apply for. I would definitely apply online since it will limit the mistakes you could make that might get your application rejected (forget to sign it, check the R or NR box, etc). Be sure you make the correct choice on your application because there are no opportunities to turn your tag back in or get your bonus points back if you draw a cow tag or other hunt that you didn't mean to apply for. Double and triple check your hunt number choices before you hit the final button to send in your application!

If you need any help on units feel free to send me a PM.

Good Luck!

13-Jan-15
I just applied for a bonus point and only had to pay $15. I wasn't asked to purchase a hunting license and it looks like they used my license number from last year when I checked out.

13-Jan-15
Super...AZ licenses are good for 364 days. You probably bought your 2014 license later in January when you applied last year.

13-Jan-15
I think this was gone over last year but I don't remember hearing an official answer on it. If you are in the situation like Super Slam where you bought it last year and now are buying a bonus point on the same license is that all you need to do? I thought if you were actually applying for the tag then you needed to make sure that your license was current by the time the draw comes around which would make sense. Is the bonus point different where if you plan right you can purchase a bonus point in consecutive years off the same license?

13-Jan-15
From page 8 of their regs:

"An applicant must possess a license (including lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw."

If you want to use that same license two years in a row, purchase it on the deadline date. I bought mine on Feb 11 last year and was able to use it again this year since it expires on Feb 10.

13-Jan-15
Thanks Vids. It had a license on file and charged me only $15 so I guess I'm good. Didn't remember exactly when I purchased my license last year.

13-Jan-15
Better check or you might be unhappy come draw time and AZ spanks you reeeel hard.

13-Jan-15
Vids are you saying that when we apply for just a bonus point that even though I bought my license Jan 15 last year and applied tonight that I will need to reapply before Feb 10 and buy a new license? When I applied tonight for my bonus point it took my last years license and didn't give me an option to buy a new one, but it won't be valid on the last day of the application draw.

14-Jan-15
We discussed this last year and the predictions will come true. Gunna be some unhappy campers come draw results time.

Utah gets around the confusion by only requiring a valid license only to apply, not to draw or hunt.

14-Jan-15
Color me confused...

Since I'm only buying another point this year, and not actually applying for the draw, does my license need to be valid beyond the day I purchase the point?

When I attempt to buy the point, I get no option to buy a license (already have a valid license). My current license expires on 2/9 and the application period closes the next day.

Feels like a roll of the dice to wait until the last day to get this done! Two points are riding on this...annual and loyalty.

14-Jan-15
Think you just need to reread the 2nd sentence to the post above yours for your answer.I guess since I plan to apply for coues deer I'd be an idiot not to buy a license now and get an elk point

14-Jan-15
OK...so the AZ licensing system allowed me to purchase a 2015 license...even though my 2014 license has not yet expired. It allows you to select a start date for the new license, so I chose the day after my current license expires.

I also tried entering an earlier start date and the system seemed to accept it. Did not finalize that transaction though...so I'm not certain that would have worked?

Had to purchase my elk bonus point as a separate transaction....and the system automatically recognized my new 2015 license number.

Hopefully, that takes care of it!

14-Jan-15
I called the main office and 3 regional offices and was given two different answers. 3 of the four said that you had to have a valid license on the last day of the draw (02/10/15). Since mine ends on the Jan 15 even though I applied on the 13th and it took last years I will be kicked out because it is not valid on the Feb. 10. The lady at one of the Regional offices said that for bonus points all your license needs to be good for is past the date that you apply for your bonus point. Sounds like not everyone is on the same page. I went ahead and bought one and started my date on 02/10/15 just to be on the safe side. I have too many years invested to lose two points now.

14-Jan-15
I'm in the same boat. Went ahead and got my points, but my license expires 1/23. So if I go ahead and buy a new license on the 24th, I should be alright, right?

I don't want to lose my loyalty point either

B

14-Jan-15
That may all be true but I'm not messing around. Bought my license today, had it start today and tomorrow I'll buy my points. C

14-Jan-15
Bake three of the ladies I talked to said that even though I applied last night with a license that will not be valid as long as I buy a new one before the last day of the draw it will recognize that I have a valid license. The one lady might not know what she is talking about but she said that I was good to go as long as it gave me a reference number that shows my bonus point selection went through. I'm not willing to risk it so I started my new license the last day of the draw and maybe next year I can use it for a bonus point.

14-Jan-15
I am sorry but I am still confused, I always though that if your license was valid you could get two years of points on one license. For argument sake, lets say I bought my license last year on the last day of the application period (which I did). Today I went and applied for points only for elk and it did not give me an option to buy a new license. I figured that I will need to but another license in a couple months when the deer and sheep draw comes out since the license will expire, but it sounds like I should go and buy that now.

14-Jan-15
It's not worth it...buy the license. You could end up losing 2 points just by trying to work the system. This years and your loyalty point....don't do it

14-Jan-15
njbuck what was the last day of the application period last year? If it was Feb 10 or earlier you should be in good shape from what I was told. I am sure they will make it one day later each year so you won't be able to do this in the future. I think if your license from last year says that it is good until 2/10/15 you will be fine unless they extend the deadline another week for computer crashes like they have in the past, then all bets are off.

14-Jan-15
Unless you totally skip all the other draws (AZ has 3 big game draw periods & 3 different closing dates per year) and apply only for elk, I don't see any reason to attempt playing the system to skip a year on license purchase. Either way it seems kind of "inefficient" to spend the 160.00 on a NR license and then not at least gain points for the other species in the other two application periods.

It is odd though, that the system will allow you to complete an Elk app for points only, without holding a license that has an acceptable expiration date. That would seem like a simple coding change they could easily make, saving both them and us a lot of potential headaches. They've certainly shown they know how to do such things in the past. An example that I can recall is in my fall 2013 apps, I had a valid 2013 license, but the system would not let me apply for bison points until I bought a 2014 license.

14-Jan-15
I would not wait until the last day to apply. The past two years the AZ application website has been almost unresponsive on the last two days of the application period. Both times they extended the period two days, but I would not bank on that again. Two of my NR buddies asked me what to do. In both cases I advised them to buy a new license before they apply.

14-Jan-15
I'm not advising people to do what I did, just saying what I read in the rules and that is why I bought it on the last day last year. I don't have much to risk since I'm just applying for my 2nd preference point this year.

I'll report back after the draw and let you all know if I was awarded a second point or not.

14-Jan-15
It it a waste of a liscense if you don't draw or is there anything else you can hunt?

14-Jan-15
No, it is not a waste. It helps fund the Game and Fish.

Terry

14-Jan-15
AZ has a separate license/tag structure so the license is valid for a multitude of animals, some OTC and some draw.

14-Jan-15
Done Have 9 points for elk. May draw in 4 to 5 yrs

15-Jan-15
Here's the response from my email to them.

Thank you for contacting us.  Since the inception of the new 365 day license, our online system is populating the most current license in our database.  The process is being worked on by the IT people.  However, in the meantime please go into the online license purchasing site and buy the license necessary.  The applications for the upcoming draw will not be rejected as long as you have purchased licenses with effective dates covering deadline day of February 10, 2015.

Regards;

Kathy Ford

Arizona Game & Fish Department

Finance & Accounting

Hunt Draw Administrator

5000 W Carefree Highway

Phoenix, AZ 85086

[email protected]

15-Jan-15
If its good for 365 days, then it would expire on the 9th if you bought it on the 10th last yr. correct? My license was bought on feb 10 2014 and expires feb 9,2015. This would make it invalid so no license bought even the last day of the draw will be good for following yr.

15-Jan-15
Sounds like they figured out a way to close the loophole that has existed in UT, damn bean counters lol

15-Jan-15
I'm curious what exactly this means as well. Mine was purchased on Feb 11, 2014, and it says it expires on Feb 10, 2015. I think that means it is still valid on the 10th, but I guess I'll find out....

In CO, general hunting licenses start on 4/1 and state they expire on 3/31 the following year. That should mean it is still valid on 3/31, because if they weren't valid on 3/31 it means no one could hunt or fish on that date. I guess it depends on how AZ interprets the meaning of "expires on".

15-Jan-15
Vid, in YOUR case, you are fine.

15-Jan-15
I agree, it would be a shock to find out otherwise.

15-Jan-15
Seems to me like they are setting themselves up for another computer crash with a bunch of folks waiting the last day to purchase there new license so it will be valid next year as well.

16-Jan-15
Bottom line is AZ charges you 160 plus individual app fees to keep your place in line. I heard that there were considering throwing in a random draw component to keep the less than max points people interested (since it's been demonstrated thatt if you are less than 1-2 points below max you are never going to draw the super premium zones under the current system.

16-Jan-15
"Seems to me like they are setting themselves up for another computer crash with a bunch of folks waiting the last day to purchase there new license so it will be valid next year as well."

Posted this earlier in the thread, but understand posts get lost in the discussion.

You don't have to wait until your current license expires. When you buy the 2015 license, the system asks for a "start date" for that license. Bought my license last Wednesday with a start date of 02/09/2015 (my current license expires on 02/08/2015).

When I purchased my elk point, the system defaulted to the new license.

17-Jan-15
X2 what pav said Lewis

17-Jan-15
I wouldn't gamble on it...

It let me apply for my bonus point on my most current license, which is expired, and didn't give me the option to buy a new license either, don't let the system fool you, it's got a bug in it I am positive....

17-Jan-15
Well I know we don't have to worry about Blacktail Bob applying! ;-)

• Sitka Gear