onX Maps
WY points/draw question
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
JTreeman 14-Jan-15
WapitiBob 14-Jan-15
wyobullshooter 14-Jan-15
14-Jan-15
Can someone help me out a little on point/app strategy?

I have one point, my buddies (2) have zero. We are wanting to draw general elk tags. It is my understanding that if we put in as a party my one point would be rounded to zero, Is that correct? If I put in with one of them as a regular app would my one point be rounded up to "one each" on that app? Then the other could put in special app individually.

Or if they want to apply in the special draw, would all applicants on that party application have to put in for the special draw, or could I put in on that party app as regular with my one point, but them special draw with zero points?

Hope that makes since, if not tell me how dumb I am and I'll try to straighten it out.

Thanks, Jim

14-Jan-15
WY averages the total group's points then rounds to five (5) decimal places. Your points going into the draw will be 0.33333 which is way better than .25000 and a whole lot worse than .50000

If any/all of you apply in the Special draw you'll be hunting. If this is your first Elk hunt, I would grab a cow tag and hunt it first before dropping $1100 and expenses. I personally would never party with more than one other person. Just too darn many tags to fill. Another option, everybody grabs a cow tag then each year after you build points and one guy draws with two packers coming along, all learning from each other.

14-Jan-15
"Or if they want to apply in the special draw, would all applicants on that party application have to put in for the special draw, or could I put in on that party app as regular with my one point, but them special draw with zero points? "

All party applications must be for the same draw, they cannot be mixed. Either all regular or all special.

• Sitka Gear