txhunter58 19-Jan-15
OFFHNTN 20-Jan-15
Sivart 20-Jan-15
txhunter58 20-Jan-15
txhunter58 20-Jan-15
Beendare 21-Jan-15
OFFHNTN 22-Jan-15
16-Jan-15
10 years ago I started getting points in Utah for elk without really a plan as to where or when I would hunt. I've had some other hunts fall through for 2015 and am thinking of cashing them in now. I know Utah elk isn't what it used to be in a lot of units, but can anyone point me in the right direction as to a unit/area? Or would it be better to wait another couple of years for something even better. I'm really struggling to put together a hunt this year!

16-Jan-15
Are you looking at an Archery Tag or any weapon?

There are many scenarios that go into putting in. Age being one as well as time off you can commit to the hunt.

You would have a good chance of drawing the Book Cliffs this year as a non-res. It is still a great draw for archery. I have had two non-res friends draw and hunt it in 2013 and 2014. Both committed and hunted for 10 days. They both harvested bulls at 330 and 355.

There are stronger draws in Monroe and San Juan but you are looking at a few more years.

16-Jan-15
I prefer archery, but time of year is more important as I would like to do this in August or September. I believe there are some September rifle hunts in Utah as well. I am "young" (42), and can commit to 7-10 days.

16-Jan-15
Rifle hunts will put you smack in the middle of the rut. This year the rifle LE hunts should start on either 9/12 or 9/19.

The LE hunts are early. Usually 8/15 through 9/5 or 9/8.

Here is a link to some odds for your 10 pts. It is fairly accurate.

http://www.biggamedrawodds.com/

Books is still a good draw for Rifle. Not too far from ND either. Wasatch is a good draw as well. The Monroe, Dutton and San Juan will take more time or luck to draw.

16-Jan-15
ARCHERY "The LE hunts are early. Usually 8/15 through 9/5 or 9/8."

16-Jan-15
Big Game Draw Odds site has still not been updated for last years results. Point Creep is as bad as it gets in Utah. The number of guys with 10 archery points increased 32% in just the last 5 years. I'm older than you so I'll just get an LE Archery tag as soon as possible. One and done for me. Good Luck C

16-Jan-15
Thanks for the info ELKDIY!

Charlie - Good luck in the draw as well! How many points do you have?

16-Jan-15
Looks like Wasatch Mountains and Central Mountains,Nebo were 100% archery draw for NR's with at least 10 points in 2014. Everywhere else appeared to be luck of the random draw.

16-Jan-15

YZF-88's Link
Here's a link to the 2014 data. Looks like you could get the Wasatch tag...or close to it.

16-Jan-15

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
I don't think you can draw that BC little creek unit...and you would need horses...but if you do give me a shout....one of the best elk hunts I've done. Beautiful country...incredible DIY experience but you need a way to get back in there. The bull I shot after 16 days of passing 6 point bulls every day...

Edit for questions; That roadless is no cakewalk, you have to hump around in there though its not as rough as something like the Sangre de Cristos. Its beautiful country but there is a 3 mile easement through Indian land just to get in there. A guy can access from the N but its a looooong way on a terrible rd. I did see one guy getting dropped in there by a packer but really the best strategy- IMHO- is to setup a small quick camp, hunt that area...and then if you don't get into them you just move a mile over. We went in a made a big loop towing 2 horses.

In the pic I'm 225# [at my fighting weight] so covering ground was not an issue. Being dropped in one spot probably isn't the best idea. I know Kyle has backpacked in from the N side deer hunting- but that bull was a pig and it would be a stretch getting all of the meat out- that buggers azz was 39" wide [9 years old from the tooth]- as big as one of our horses.

16-Jan-15
IMO Stay away from the Nebo Draw. If you can be patient get the roadless Bookcliff. The Road(Book Cliff) draw is good. you will probably not see the bulls like Beendare took in the roadless area but there are some good 340-50 class bulls in the Road draw.

Beendare is right. I hunted my mule deer draw two years ago in the roadless area. We packed in 5 miles. We saw some dandy bulls in there.

16-Jan-15
Good Luck Offhntn....

Playing the points game is frustrating!

I have 14 points as a Non-resident for the 2015 Elk Archery Draw.

I was told by a couple of well known outfitters in Utah that Archery season for 2015 falls almost a full week earlier then it will for the 2016 season because of the calendar and since in their opinion archery season is already too early in Utah to just put in for a point and wait until next year???.

16-Jan-15
Wow Beendare...that is a beautiful bull....I can only dream!

16-Jan-15
Yep, this is the earliest closing date in the cycle. If you can, wait for next year if you can.

16-Jan-15
Thanks for the info YZF-88.

Beendare - Amazing bull! Congrats! We do not have horses so the roadless area is probably out. Do you know of anyone that would/could do a drop camp in there?

16-Jan-15
Rifle season in the rut.... that sucks.... lets you know who they cater to...

That's a dandy bull Bruce. Wow. 16 days is a loooog hunt. Looks like you earned every inch of him.

16-Jan-15
Rockbass and WapitiBob are correct. I lot of guys will just do a point this year but that COULD be a good reason to put in this year:))

16-Jan-15
Rifle season in the rut is right. This is why this Utah archer hunts Colorado. Pricey but worth it. Good luck OFFHNTN.

16-Jan-15
+1 ELKDIY. I hunt out of state for that reason as well.

16-Jan-15
Utahs 2014 draw odds have been posted. Remember anyone can draw any tag in Utah, regardless of point totals. Last year the little creek elk permit went to a guy(or gal) with 5 points. Your odds of drawing the San Juan elk permit... Divide 3566 by the number of bonus points you have. No guaranteed permit there unless they raise the NR quota by 1 permit.

16-Jan-15
As far as the early season dates for 2015 go, you'll have peak rut after the new moon which a lot of guys prefer. In 2016, you'll have a full moon on the 16th.

16-Jan-15
I can attest to the Archery Season dates being a problem, but it can be done...

16-Jan-15
Have you had success some success around a full moon Ike? Anyone else?

16-Jan-15

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
It was brighter than bright! They'd be hot one day and quiet for one or two...Very hit and miss, but as I said it can be done...

17-Jan-15
Almost seems that 2 people wanting to draw together in a great unit is near impossible. My son and I have 10 in the bank.

17-Jan-15
That's easy Steve. Apply separately and get to do 2 hunts together.

17-Jan-15
Ike, what was the moon phase when you killed your Utah bull? ...and please post up another pic!

17-Jan-15

'Ike''s embedded Photo
'Ike''s embedded Photo

'Ike''s Link
Nick it was the second day of a Full moon....Morning of a clearing storm and they were sounding off! Killed him on 09/09

19-Jan-15
Hmmm......did some checking over the weekend. Looks like only one NR archery permit, and only 2 NR rifle permits available in the roadless area this year. We want to do this hunt together. May have to check into the Book Cliffs road area and try get back in some place?

19-Jan-15
OFFHNTN - If you draw the Road tag get in touch with me. I am happy to put you in touch with a guy from Montana that hunted the unit last fall. He took a nice 350 class bull. He learned the area pretty well and I have a feel for the area as I have hunted archery elk and deer in the unit. This guy would be happy to give any advice as he will never draw it again.

Trent - [email protected]

19-Jan-15
I think Bill hit it on the head.

Apply separately and go together helping each other. You get two hunts, can spend more time together and get to know the unit better

19-Jan-15
Nonresidents getting drawn as a group of 2 for LE elk units is pretty much unheard of. That said, the only unit that you might get lucky and get it done would be Wasatch archery

With rifle tags in a unit that has potential of good bulls, you don't have even close to enough points.

You should get a membership in hunterstrailhead.com Has all the info you are seeking and more.

20-Jan-15
Scoot - Lmao! Yeh.....older than dirt!

txhunter58 - I have heard of hunters that have drawn LE elk units with 19 points, and some that have drawn with 2 points. There are many factors that go into it, a lot of it is luck, but there is always a chance. So your "you don't have even close to enough points" may not be entirely accurate.

20-Jan-15
I'm surprised that no one is recommending Fish Lake? Isn't this a good unit for a guy w/ 10 pts?

20-Jan-15
Your first post sounded like you wanted almost a "sure thing" to plan a hunt next fall. That is why I said you weren't close on points for a better unit. The decent units are 2-5% odds. (95-98% chance of not getting drawn sounds like you need more points to be planning a hunt....

And playing the odds, you are looking at more than "a couple of more years" for a good chance at drawing a better tag. But guys kill good bulls in every unit (Wasatch for example) every year. That is the closest thing you have to a sure thing with a chance at a good bull (Wasatch). However that is for archery only. With early rifle and muzzy, the odds are much worse

But like they say in dumb and dumber: "so you're saying theres a chance.........." is accurate.

20-Jan-15
The thing you have to realize too is that you are not really able to look at what people with 10 points did last year and make plans. Point creep will be at least 1 point this year for most units and your odds from last year with 9 points are pretty close to what your odds will be with 10 points this year.

I have the same number of elk points (10) and we are behind the curve. And since for me this will be a once in a lifetime hunt, I will hold out as long as it takes for a better unit. BUT I could get lucky this year! That is what I say each year when I put in for a Henry's deer tag: "so your saying there's a chance!"

21-Jan-15
Someone asked about a drop camp in that BC roadless- I suppose you could, and then spike out from there. We went in with a couple of horses in tow and a smaller backpack type camp so that we could hunt a spot and move- that worked out pretty good in there.

I've heard of guys backpacking in from that N road, but that road is REALLY bad...and it would be a chore getting that bull out on your back as his azz end was 39" wide- he was the size of our small horse. I think we were 8 miles in at that spot.....tough backpack, IMO.

There are other Utah units not considered primo that I bet a guy would have a great elk hunt.

22-Jan-15
I love Dumb and Dumber! :)

• Sitka Gear