TEmbry 01-Feb-15
TEmbry 01-Feb-15
DaELK 01-Feb-15
WapitiBob 01-Feb-15
DaELK 01-Feb-15
bigbuck 01-Feb-15
WapitiBob 04-Feb-15
19-Jan-15
There still appears to be some confusion and incorrect info regarding the new 365 day license in AZ. Not to sound too harsh but a simple reading of the application rules should clear it up....

"An applicant must possess a license (including lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw."

The ONLY way you can use one license for two app periods is if you bought your license on Feb 11 last year, or, if starting this year, buying on Feb 10. The only financial benefit is if you are applying "points only", as you need a valid license to hunt.

You can buy a 2015 license with a current starting date, and the system will automatically use the 2015 license when the old one expires from what I have been told.

The one "flaw" if there is one, is that the system doesn't notify the applicant that their license will expire prior to the draw close. I have heard they are working an an alert.

19-Jan-15
"The ONLY way you can use one license for two app periods is if you bought your license on Feb 11 last year, or, if starting this year, buying on Feb 10. The only financial benefit is if you are applying "points only", as you need a valid license to hunt."

But, lets say you bought a license this year on Feb 10th and applied for the draws and didn't draw anything next year. Wouldn't it still work?

No one minds buying another license to hunt, it's the buying a license just for the draw that hits the pocket book.

19-Jan-15
Yes because you are essentially buying points.

19-Jan-15
Bob, as discussed previously there are going to be a bunch of mad applicants this year because of the fact that it is allowing you to purchase off last years license. How many exactly get disqualified will be interesting. Is it on the applicant to know? Well of course it is but they could definitely make it more user friendly. IMO they shouldn't even let you use last years license if it's not going to be valid by the close of the application period. A bunch of guys are going to fall behind by 2 points. Bad enough not to get your point but to lose your loyalty to boot will be salt in the wound. Stay tuned......

20-Jan-15
If you were to buy your license that starts 2/10 this year, it would expire 2/10 next year therefore there is no way to get 2 PP's on one license....correct? Since your license would be expired on the last day of the application period next year?

20-Jan-15
If you buy a license on 2/10 this year, it expires (the last day it is valid) on 2/9 next year.

20-Jan-15
Nick, I think the license in your example would expire on 2/9 and you would be out of luck.

The short of it, is AZ wants you to buy a license every year whether you hunt or not. I expect the 1 day potential loophole to be closed soon.

20-Jan-15
Alright, so I looked at my license from last year's application. It says "Valid Dates: 2/11/2014 - 2/10/2015. I must have purchased it on the last day.

So does this mean I am safe to use it to build a point this year? Because that would be awesome. According to the dates printed on it, it should still be valid on February 10th.

20-Jan-15
That seems to be the current and only loophole.

20-Jan-15
"Nick, I think the license in your example would expire on 2/9 and you would be out of luck."

Yes, meant to say my license would be expired on the last day of next years app period.

20-Jan-15
AZ is on a 7 day cycle, Each year the draw ends one day sooner, until it "resets". You still need to buy a license to hunt, so "points only" is about the only option to give you any advantage.

AZ has always had a 365 day license, it just used to be 1/1 to 12/31. The new structure allows people some flexibility in purchasing so families can choose when to buy, when funds may be more accessible, rather than right after Christmas.

20-Jan-15
"AZ is on a 7 day cycle, Each year the draw ends one day sooner..."

Ah, so there's the loop hole! If I buy my license to start the 10th this year and buy my point the same day, next year my license will still be valid on the 9th which will be the last day of the app period so I will be able to buy another point on that license.

Still not sure I want to gamble the $80 to see if it works! lol What if they extend the app period due to server overload issues again. Now my license is not valid at the end of the app period!

20-Jan-15
I talked to the gal at Game and Fish about an hour ago and she said the loophole would work for me. I'm going to risk it for $160.00. If I was anywhere close to drawing a premo tag I may reconsider.

I may send an email so that I can get an answer in writing.

20-Jan-15
There will be no extension this year. New servers and new code.

01-Feb-15
Just to hash this out one last time... If one buys a license today to start 2/10/15, it will be current for this years draw. And in theory, the draw will end on 2/9/16 the following year, so the same license could be used when accruing points. Correct?

01-Feb-15
I just realized this doesn't matter for me. Arizona is smart and staggers their draws at different times so you have to buy a license anyway if you apply for anything besides elk only. I am building points for deer also so I need one every year either way.

01-Feb-15
This is tricky....below is copied from 2015 Elk regulations...note in 2nd paragraph it says "When applying for a HUNT..." do they consider applying for a HUNT the same as applying for a POINT? I'm applying for a point only for my son who's license expires 2/6/15....believe I need to buy a new license but going to call them first to make sure. It did let me apply for a point using current license & was curious ...then found this thread....an Alert when applying would be helpful for sure.....thx

Can I apply for a bonus point only? Yes. Select Bonus Point Only when prompted. You must have a current hunting license or purchase one. You will be charged the appropriate application fee ($13 for residents, $15 for nonresidents).

What are the license requirements? When applying for a HUNT, you must have a license valid through deadline day of that draw. If drawn for a hunt permit-tag, you must also have a valid license at the time of the hunt. These may not be the same license under the new 365 day licenses.

01-Feb-15
You need a valid license at the closing date of the draw whether you apply for a hunt or a point.

AZ has always had a 365 day license, all they did was allow the customer to change the start date vs forcing a Jan 1/dec 31 date.

The flaw, is that the system doesn't flag a warning to the applicant that their license will not be valid at the close. I suspect that will be fixed or they will go back to jan/dec licensing in 2016.

Go back and buy a 2015 license for your son.

01-Feb-15
Yep, agree...buying him one to be sure...

01-Feb-15
You are right that they dont warn you I tried applying with this past years license and it let me go all the way till click to submit payment,my license expire 2/09/15 went back and bought my new license but on my license it show the one that is still current and my new one,hope nobody gets burnt by this

04-Feb-15
Moving it up.

• Sitka Gear