wildwilderness 05-Feb-15
wildwilderness 05-Feb-15
deerslayer 06-Feb-15
AZBUGLER 07-Feb-15
arctichill 08-Feb-15
Barty1970 09-Feb-15
wildwilderness 09-Feb-15
22-Jan-15
There is a certain feeling we all have when a hunting season comes to a close. As always we start out with great anticipation and hopes of success. Through out the year and over various hunts, you have highs and lows. And then the season is over (never too soon for my wife!) and you look back.

As I look back on last year, I see that is was a Season for my Son

22-Jan-15
This past year my oldest son was 12 years old. Finally able to hunt all big game! He has proven to be a good hunter over the years, and a lucky fisherman. He was able to harvest his first doe in Arkansas (no age limit) when he was 8, and another in AZ when he was 10.

To start the year we discussed what he wanted to hunt during year and he was most excited about Elk, and a chance to get his first buck. We put in the draw and waited to see what happens.

This thread will contain Bowhunting, as well as firearms (disclosure), so you are welcome to follow along last year as we wait for a new one to start.

22-Jan-15
The first hunt of the year was Merriam's Turkeys. I luckily have a friend with some property with turkeys and my son has killed a few turkeys over the past years. This year he really wanted to get one with his bow. We had a couple chances...

22-Jan-15
It was a miss... a little low but a great learning opportunity. He had one more chance with his bow at a jake through the fence to the left. But it was not to be. the fletch hit the wire as he tried to shoot through.

22-Jan-15
Please reduce your picture size. It's causing the whole page to scroll ...

23-Jan-15

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Luckily there was another flock of turkeys on the other side of the property. Since it was the last day we could hunt he was able to ambush a gobbler and took it with a shotgun. I was able to let him set up his own spot and watch it all happen. (these birds aren't as smart as the Alabama variety!) The property owner lets a few kids hunt each year so its a great opportunity to learn.

I also had a turkey tag and was hunting with my recurve for the first time. No luck for me, but a successful hunt nonetheless.

23-Jan-15
I'll be following this with the kids. Looking forward to more.

23-Jan-15
I did have a couple of hunts planned for myself last year as well. First up I was lucky enough to have a "work" trip with my business partners to Hawaii. I have been fortunate to get a few days of hunting in the past when we have gone to Hawaii. The last year I went I got a nice billy with my compound.

This year I had made it a goal to hunt with my takedown recurve.

23-Jan-15

One of my Partners is an avid fisherman who has never been able to fish saltwater. So I had to go along on a deepwater fishing charter for a day. We had rough seas but that kept a lot of the other boats in. We had good luck and caught a few Mahi Mahi!

23-Jan-15

I have had a recurve for a few years. Its fun to shoot with the kids in the backyard. It has always been a goal to take an animal with it. The feral goats in Hawaii are pretty conducive to bowhunting so this was going to be my chance. Its really nice to travel with a takedown bow.

23-Jan-15
Liking this !

23-Jan-15
Another big first for this quick trip was that my wife wanted to come along! The last time she came hunting with me was before we were married, how interesting. She is not a hunter nor grew up around it, but supports me and the boys in our pursuits.

We were going to hike the Kalalau trail on the Na Pali Coast of Kaui. It would be a quick trip, in one day out the next. We didn't have time to do the whole 11 miles in then back because the trail is very strenuous, steep, muddy and wet. The plan was to go in 6 miles, set up camp. Then I could hunt for goats that evening and early the next morning. we would then pack back out that afternoon to catch the late flight out.

23-Jan-15

Here we are at the beginning of the trail. Already muddy!

24-Jan-15
I had my bow packed away as we started down the trail. Usually around mile 3 and the big rock is when you start seeing sign. About 4 miles in my wife though she heard something ahead, and I though I smelt the distinct smell of goat. Looking at the trail there were fresh goat tracks and droppings. I took off my pack to put my bow together. My wife peaked around the corner and said there they are!

I quickly strung the bow and started moving. I was about 30 yds from a couple nannies and they started to move along the trail then cut down the cliff. I moved to where they were crossing since the goats generally move in a small herd. Sure enough more goats crossed ahead of me. I hurried toward the spot they dropped down as I saw a young billy right in front.

I caught up to the mob and came to full draw. The young billy was 20 yds off the trail below me. I released and saw my arrow nick the goat high and they moved off. my first missed opportunity.

24-Jan-15
The terrain is very steep. It hard to move off the trail much, and the shot angles are tough. This video shows how steep some of the cliffs are.

24-Jan-15

We made camp, ate dinner, then headed out to look for more goats. About half a mile past camp we got into another group of goats. I moved ahead and my wife stayed back. It was a good spot with switchbacks on the trail which would allow me to move up and down. I heard the goats in the brush and was able to make a move. The vegetation was thick and I got to 12 yards of a few nannies. Two busted up when I came to full draw but another big black and white one step out into my shooting lane. The arrow flew and I watched it pass through the goat!

24-Jan-15
The shot was a bit back. So I went back to were my wife was waiting. She had heard the goat bleat and knew I had hit it. I told her I had to wait a bit on the goat because of the shot location. However we could hear more of the distress calls of the dying nanny.

Times like that are tough with a non-hunter. I never like to know an animal suffers, but sometimes death is not easy. I suggested she head back to camp and I would come back after I followed up.

I knew the best thing to do was wait it out and let the nanny die where she was. But the other part was she was close to the trail and I told my wife I would try to finish it off sooner and didn't want other hikers come by. I went back and retrived my arrow. Good blood but also guts.

24-Jan-15
I knew where the goat was and circled above. It was way too thick to move other than a belly crawl. I got close and the nanny crashed down hill. It came out on the trail below and was moving slow. I knew she was hard hit when she bedded again facing away.

This was my chance. I slowly crept down the trail with fingers on the string. The light was fading as the sun had set. I closed the distance and got within 20yds. A tourist helicopter flew overhead so I took pushed my luck and got a few yards closer. I came to full draw as the goats head turned.

I watched as my arrow flew harmlessly over her back. The goat got up and ran down the trail then off onto a cliff. I followed but couldn't get closer than 60yds. The rocks and cliff were too dangerous to risk. Once again the goat bedded and I walked dejected back to camp.

24-Jan-15

The next morning I knew what I would find. The goat had fallen off the cliff and lay at the bottom.

24-Jan-15

There were no more opportunities as I made my what back to camp, or the hike out. This area is an eradication zone for feral goats so there is no limit and no closed season for archery. Its archery only for the high use of the trail. However the State has conducted a few rifle Cull hunts over the years and closed down the trail to hikers. There were noticeably less goats then the last time I had been there. Maybe this wasn't going to be my year

On the way back at least there was a rainbow, hope for the next hunt. Its an amazing place.

24-Jan-15

Next up was some conditioning for the fall hunts! My son was in the Boy Scouts and they go on regular campouts. I try to come along as often as I can. We had a great overnight back packing trip planned.

My Son was excited since this was going to be his first backpack trip. The plan was to do 4.5 miles in the first day, then 6 miles out the next where we had our vehicles parked.

I told him it would be a great way to get in shape for packing an elk out!

24-Jan-15

Here is the group going down the trail. The second day was harder than the first but everyone had a great time. Carrying a pack is hard work but gets you ready

24-Jan-15

It was really neat to see some of the ancient petroglyphs. It helps to put in perspective the people who have lived and hunted in this very area a thousand years before. It makes you realize how little time there really is. I am also grateful I have someone to pass on the hunting heritage to, and hopefully for generations to come after I am gone.

24-Jan-15

Here is good panel that must of been an original hunting forum! lots of bighorn sheep and a bear paw

25-Jan-15
No recovery on the goat then?

26-Jan-15
Unfortunately not. Very steep and dangerous area of the trail mile 7. I took the picture from as close as I felt comfortable and zoomed in. I love hunting and respect the animals but its not worth my life.

26-Jan-15
The months before hunting season seem to drag by. Its a good time to fish. Sunfish offer a great way to teach kids to fish. Here is one caught on a fly.

26-Jan-15

ok

26-Jan-15

I also had Army Reserve Active Training. This year we had a 2 week Humanitarian Aid Mission to the Dominican Republic. Its great to be able to Serve our Country and help others out at the same time.

As it relates to the hunting season, it cuts 2 weeks of vacation time!

26-Jan-15
Awesome and congrats to you both!

26-Jan-15
Cool - I hunted the same trail in Kauai 2 years ago. What an amazing place! I only had 1 day so we started at 4am and I got lucky at mile 4. When you say the terrain is steep - that's an understatement!! Thanks for bringing me back there and enjoying following along.

27-Jan-15

Here are some kids we saw in the Dominican Republic. A few are the same age as my Son. Who would have thought they would be so happy to see the Dentist! (we provided free dental care on this mission)

It is always a humbling experience to visit less developed countries. It makes you grateful for the opportunities we have and the freedoms we often take for granted.

I try to relate to my children how the kids I see in these places are always smiling and can be happy with nothing more than some friends to play bare foot soccer in the rocky, dirt park. (and NO electronics!)

27-Jan-15

We also had more summer conditioning. The many fitness threads are great at motivating us to get in shape for the fall season.

This was a trip to climb our first 14er. Mt. Sherman was to be the goal. It is on the right.

27-Jan-15

Half way mark. good to learn how to pace yourself

27-Jan-15

The summit! 14,036 ft.

It was a beautiful day. We took a number of boys and my son was a great motivator to get some of his friends to keep going. (peer pressure is real! important to have good friends) It was a lot of hard work to get to the top. Getting down was almost more since you use up your energy going up. Also the mental aspect of reaching the top is past so they had to focus on still working hard.

Back at the vehicles they were all wiped out. A great learning experience, mental toughness and fun. My son would talk about it for months and was proud to have climbed a 14er.

27-Jan-15
By now we had our fall hunts mostly planned:

I had a Archery Elk Either sex tag, a Moose/caribou/wolf tag in AK, a doe antelope tag in WY, and an archery doe tag, and a late cow elk tag.

My son had a Archery doe tag, a rifle buck tag, a cow elk tag, a doe antelope tag, and a tbd 2nd elk tag.

27-Jan-15
The Archery Doe tags we had go for 4 months. I have had this tag before as an either sex tag (No luck in the draw this year) and was able to watch a few good bucks over the years with my son. He loves going out and scouting the fields.

I am cursed when it comes to big bucks! so much harder to kill them with an arrow. Here is one of my favorites that I had watched for a couple years and came so close. he was killed on a rifle hunt.

Any guesses on the score?

28-Jan-15

The archery doe tag was on private land only so we had to get permission to hunt various properties. I had my son talk to various land owners and managers so he could learn how to interact with others. Some say no but I have found it never hurts to ask. And you would be surprised many say yes. We always follow it up with a thank you letter and are very respectful of the property as we hunt.

this trail camera picture was one of the better spots for my son to hopefully get a doe. We set up a ground blind together and put the camera on it.

28-Jan-15

Archery season finally came. with my OTC tag I had scouted some old stand by areas, and some new that held promise. Opening day found me in a new area and 100 yds away from a couple cow elk. Not to be this time or that weekend, though we did see elk.

28-Jan-15

Next up I had an Alaskan moose hunt to go on. I have to admit, moose has never been high on my list of animals to hunt, but my good friend who I have been to AK with a few times was set on doing it.

He was able to take over 3 weeks off and add a week of caribou on before our moose hunt. He had good luck and shot two caribou that week, 1 of which will go P&Y. with me only having 2 weeks left of vacation I was going for broke on this DIY (with friends) hunt.

We met up in moose camp.

28-Jan-15

great views

28-Jan-15

We saw a fair number of cow moose and held out hope that the rut would kick in any day.

28-Jan-15

I was able to catch my first grayling

28-Jan-15

we also saw some Musk Ox. very cool animals.

28-Jan-15

The weather had only gotten warmer and the moose sightings less, and only at first light and last. It made for long days, and mentally challenging. We saw one bull moose that was sublegal, about 40" I guessed. The next morning we had a pack of wolves go up the valley, though no shot opportunities. We decided to move to another spot and called in the bush plane. At this point I would have liked to move to a caribou spot, but new that it would not happen as I had committed to hunt together and getting a moose solo would not be fun.

28-Jan-15

flying to the new spot we saw a huge moose! It was about 1.5 miles from the new camp. It got us excited and we couldn't wait til the next day to go after it. That night it started to rain. And the next morning was a down pour that lasted all day. We tried going towards the big bull but the conditions weren't allow. We had a lot to learn about moose hunting since this was our first time. We saw another cow, and another small bull. The hardest part of the second week was mentally trying to stay positive, despite the feeling of wasting time.

The last night in camp we saw the Northern Lights, beautiful.

This was the closest I came to a legal bull.

28-Jan-15

Back home, back to work, back to checking the trail cameras and deer movement for the archery hunt. not enough time after work to sit the blind with my boy. He would bring his bow just encase we had an opportunity for a stalk.

this day he spotted a cottontail and was able to connect! He was really excited as he told me, "that's my first animal with a bow!"

It was a good confidence booster and we ate the cottontail that night.

29-Jan-15

I took one more bonsai trip for archery elk the last day. I glassed up a herd in a canyon and made the 5 mile hike in after them around the private. I spent the night in my bivy sack and the next morning was able to get within 100 yards of the herd.

That's when I felt the wind shift and hit me on the back of my neck. I watched the cows spook but never saw the bull. I ran into 6 other hunters as well. I knew that my season was over and time to help my son fill his tags.

Here was a satellite bull.

30-Jan-15

My son was excited to sit the ground blind. We planned to get there an hour early before the deer passed through. But when we pulled up, a doe and fawn were already there. we sat any way and just after sunset some deer came in, a spike and a fawn. My son was excited! The spike was at 12yds but he only had an antlerless tag. He couldn't get the angle on the fawn, then they spooked. So close.

Here is the spike, would be a regular.

30-Jan-15
We sat the blind again. seeing deer move our way. The spike nicknamed Screwy came by and so did a young doe to 20 yds but was in the brush so no shot opportunity. They moved on by. There were a few more close calls on other days with deer in range but no shot.

30-Jan-15

I think its important to give kids the opportunity at success to keep them interested in Hunting. There has to be a balance between too easy and too hard though. Also variety and new experiences help. We got a Reduced price doe antelope tag in WY for those reasons. Its a great hunt for youth. We called the local wildlife biologist who was very helpful in giving areas to hunt and even some names of landowners who would let us hunt their property.

We made the drive to WY with high hopes. The first morning out we started seeing antelope. Most were on areas we couldn't hunt, but it was very promising. We checked out a couple spots the biologist had said with no luck. The next spot was perfect! We had a herd in an open field but there was a fence row with tall grass. We were able to belly crawl just out of sight. We covered a couple hundred yards slowly as the pronghorns had bedded. Anticipation built as we got closer. Finally we were parallel to the herd and set up.

My son was ready when they stood up and he made a good shot on. He was excited with his First Antelope!

30-Jan-15

For the archery hunt we had set up a brush blind at a different location that was great for a morning hunt. The first time we sat it we had the deer come in perfect but hang up only 15 yds away but no shooting lane! I made some adjustments and we sat it again. Once again the deer came but the wary old does lead the rest around the wrong side. However there were two spikes that walked right in front of the us at 15yds!

This spike was one and screwy the other. My son wished he had an either-sex tag.

31-Jan-15

We hunted another field were a number of deer move through. we couldn't set up a blind in this area so we would need some luck. One evening we caught the deer crossing into the field and My son had his first shot, and missed to the left. He was excited to finally draw his bow but the "doe fever" got the best of him. He was shaking afterwards.

31-Jan-15

The weeks were going by and it was time for his rifle buck hunt. We had contacted a couple of friend and scouted an area for opening day. we were on a ridge top at first light and saw a couple does moving, a good sign. We glassed some valleys looking for a buck. we moved to another ridge and glassed up a spike. I asked him if he wanted to go after it and he said we can find one better!

We moved onto another area and saw a bunch of does. We stalked along looking for a buck. The next ridge over held more deer with a couple of Forkedhorns 400 yds away. I asked about making a move on them. Once again he said he though we could do better, so I said how about lets try and see what happens, also its your first buck and who know if we will have another chance? We didn't get very far when the wind started to shift and they left.

Here is the terrain

31-Jan-15

Once again we moved on, seeing more hunters and less deer. We decided to turn around and head back to the first spot. Not more than a mile down the road we just passed I saw a buck in the brush. I stopped and said we got to get that deer!

We closed in quickly and My son got off a shot. The deer jumped and kicked. We moved fast through the brush to see where it was going and he got a follow up shot. He was excited now!

This is what we saw

31-Jan-15

All he could say was I told you I wanted to get a 4 point!

Great First Buck

02-Feb-15
I like it, keep it coming!

03-Feb-15

We kept after the does. We sat the ground blind, and would see deer but never within range. We also sat the brush blind where we had had a couple close calls. One morning the deer started straggling in from the field. The lead doe went on the wrong side of the trees and a few followed. However once she got past us I heard her circle behind the brush blind lower down. By now a number of deer were passing in front just out of range for my son.

Then the wind picked up a little. The does behind us caught a whiff an started to get antsy. The does started milling around and some turned back. This caused some confusion and a couple grown fawns were going back a forth. One fawn was coming right into the shooting lane. I told my son to Draw back. The deer was coming fast straight at us. At 15 yds it stopped staring at us. I whispered for him to wait to see if it would turn and give a shot. It turned to go back and he took the shot! once again the arrow flew harmlessly past the deer. Another close call but no blood.

this fox missed out on a gut pile meal

03-Feb-15

The days continued to go by and it was time for an elk hunt. My son had a cow tag, which would also be good on the late hunt for youth. We had thought about getting another late cow tag in another unit to hunt with a friend and his daughter, and increase the odds of getting an elk. Those tags sold out before we decided, so the night before the opener we bought an OTC Bull tag, just in case.

Opening morning was raining hard. The first area we wanted to try was a muddy mess. The truck was spinning out on the flat part of the road and I didn't have chains. Back to Plan B. We glassed some areas and saw many other hunters but no elk.

Monday morning I go into work later so we were going to hit a Honey Hole. It was muddy so the going was slow. The elk can be found anywhere from right by the trail head to a few miles back. We didn't want to spook them by going in the dark so tried to time it just right.

03-Feb-15

The going was a bit slower than I anticipated and the sun was starting to rise. There was a bit of fog from the rain over the weekend though which I hoped would keep the animals out a little longer. Just over a mile and half in, we rounded a draw and I glanced up and saw elk! We hit the ground and I knew there was a legal bull in the group. I told my son to get ready while I ranged the bull, 201yds.

I told him to hurry and shoot the bull because they had spotted us. All I hear is "I can't see them!" I look at him and he has the bipod set up but is in a little depression. I grab the rifle and we move up a few yard closer to a swell. He gets on the elk. I keep saying shoot the bull! By now the lead cow was heading out and the elk started moving. I didn't have any calls with me, so I tried cow calling with my mouth to stop them. The bull took one last look and I heard the rifle go off, and the bull hunch!

He headed to a little saddle and I told my son to shoot again. He couldn't get on it but said "I can shoot a cow!" No, don't shoot the cow, watch the bull (There was no way I wanted two possibly hit animals to follow up in the limited time that morning). By then the bull was moving good and the elk had gone over a little saddle and the next ridge.

We tried to get an angle around the knob they were on when he shot but they were gone. I climbed up to where the elk were when he shot and found the tracks. No blood.

We started following the tracks in the mud and hoped for some blood or a sign that he had hit the bull.

04-Feb-15

The tracks lead over a high ridge for a couple hundred yard, then stayed at the head of the next ravine. It was a steep muddy side hill and went on for a few hundred yards. I kept looking and never saw any blood.

At the next ridge we followed the tracks towards a saddle that overlooked a big ravine. I walked up to the saddle and glassed the ravine hoping to spot some elk but nothing. I looked down at the ground and saw no tracks crossing there. I told my son that we need to back up to the tracks and see where they turned down. We turned around and went a few yards. I was looking at the ground when my son said-

"Dad! there's a bull right there!" The bull was bedded behind a little rock ledge by a juniper, but his head was still up. my son took a quick follow up shot but hit the rocks right in front of the bull he was so excited and too close. (I was relieved that the bull didn't move at the missed shot and knew he was down for good) I had him back up and get a better angle and finished the bull off. I told him how proud I was that he got his first elk, and a bull on an OTC public land tag!

First Elk!

04-Feb-15
Awesome. Congratulations to your son on his fall success.

04-Feb-15
That is sweet! Congrats!

05-Feb-15

It's amazing how fast time goes by during hunting season. we kept after the does. As the days got shorter and the weather changed so did the patterns of the deer. We moved the ground blind closer to a bedding area, but every time we went to sit it the deer were already moving around. It was neat to see the bigger bucks come out during the rut.

05-Feb-15

Through it all my son kept a good attitude and hope that he would get another chance. The deer started hanging out on properties we couldn't hunt, but we got out as often as we could even if it was just to see what they were doing.

05-Feb-15

Mid December came along and the end of the season was getting close. We didn't have a good blind location as the deer had moved bedding areas, however they were feeding in a field we could hunt. One stormy afternoon we headed out hoping the deer would make it into the field before dark. My brother happened to call on the drive out and my son optimistic as ever said I'm sure we will see deer tonight and I might even get a shot.

There was nothing in the field when we glassed. We saw a few deer on other properties so we hoped some might move in. As the short day was coming to a close we finally spotted a group coming up from a creek bottom. After all the scouting we had done we knew they would leave that property, cross another and turn up onto land we could hunt. The timing had to be just right with the wind and daylight.

With shadows getting longer the deer left the first property and were on the second, bunching up at an old barbed wire fence, the border where we could hunt. We still had about 10 minute of legal light but it was raining off and on so it was darker. Right when the deer were about to cross, we heard a 4wheeler on the first property and the rancher and his dog came out on a bluff to get his cows. The deer hesitated and we held our breath.... After a couple minutes the Rancher left and his cows followed. Then the deer crossed the fence and went into a little depression and we made out move. We got close right as they were coming up. I gave my rangefinder to my son and said you got 1 minute to get up there and shoot one!

He looked at me and said you're not coming? No way they will spook with both of us. So he set off to close the distance along the fence line. I saw the deer look at him when he ranged the distance, draw, and shoot!

05-Feb-15
well done young fella

Ps lovely tag on the brush of that fox

05-Feb-15
A great season for your son and you. one neither of you will ever forget. Forrest

05-Feb-15
Looking forward to the Young Fella becoming a fellow Bowsiter

05-Feb-15

I was too far back and too dark for me to see the arrow. I saw the group of deer run up. My boy turned back smiling and I waved him back to me. I couldn't wait to hear what happened! He had got to 27yds of a big doe (25 is the farthest pin he had). He drew and most of the deer moved but the doe stayed. He put his last pin on the middle and released. He watched the arrow go through the deer. It kicked and ran down the depression he said. (That's why I didn't see a hit deer earlier). He thought it crossed the barb wire fence and had made a bunch of noise.

We got back to the vehicle and put some dry clothes on while waiting the 20 minuets to follow up. my son was excited and nervous at the same time. If the deer crossed the fence we did not have permission to hunt there. However if foresight that this might happen I had already talked with the manager a couple times about retrieving a deer off of the property, and he said as long as he was informed it was fine.

We got flashlights and started looking. The rain didn't help and we couldn't find his arrow. No blood either at the spot of the shot, but it was dark and wet. We walked down to the fence line without finding much. My son was sure he had hit the deer. I was wondering if we should wait til the morning light to look for it.

I decided to circle around the other property and work back to were he thought the deer had crossed and heard all the commotion. There was a thick stand of trees and brush that we almost had to crawl through. When we got to about 15yds from the fence I saw a patch of fur! We found the doe!

05-Feb-15

We back tracked the deer and saw a lot of blood up to the fence crossing, but not much before that. The deer went about 50 yards from where he had shot, and died within seconds of the shot.

Of all the hunts we had been on that year, I was the most proud of my son at that time. He had hunted the deer for almost 4 months and countless days, patiently sitting in a blind, many unproductive days, and 2 missed shots that he bounced back from, practicing more and working on form. Always staying positive throughout.

06-Feb-15
Thank you for the write up. What an incredible year for the both of you! Congrats again!

07-Feb-15

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
Had a great year with my son as well.

08-Feb-15
Those pictures and those memories will become the most valuable thing your son has at some point. Hopefully that day is a long time away. I'm 34 and just lost my Dad [and hunting partner] last month. It was completely unexpected and there will never be an answer as to what caused his death. What's most important though, is the incredible life he led. I feel like the most privileged man alive to have been able to accompany him on so many outdoors adventures. We spent every possible chance in the field together. The memories you've created over the past year for your son are priceless. My boy is 4 years old. We do the best we can, but have not yet been able to tackle any major hunting adventures. LOL

It was great to read these stories! As I presume you already know, every season for the rest of your life is "a season for your son". I didn't learn that until last month. In reflection, I realized that every hunt my Dad and I ever shared [and they were plenty] was about me. Even when I convinced my Dad it was his turn to set-up to shoot the bull he made the focus on how I had called him in. The year you've had has been full of pride and excitement for sure. The year your son had has been immeasurably impactful, and that impact on him will only grow as time passes. Congratulations!...to both of you.

09-Feb-15
Sorry for your sad loss Arctichill

09-Feb-15

When we cleaned the deer we found a perfect heart shot.

I was impressed with the performance of his set up. He was shooting the Mission adjustable youth bow set at 25" DL and about 39lbs. The arrow is an Easton axis 600 spine cut about 27" with blazers and a Wac'em triton 100gr broadhead. Total arrow weight is about 328grains. He got a complete pass through and we never did find the arrow, maybe in the spring when we go look for sheds.

• Sitka Gear