MAG 23-Jan-15
Swamp Buck 23-Jan-15
Muskrat 23-Jan-15
Rick M 23-Jan-15
midwest 23-Jan-15
Jaquomo 23-Jan-15
>>>---WW----> 23-Jan-15
22-Jan-15
This may be an odd question, but is there any reason you couldn't use a good pop up ground blind as a tent to base camp out of?

Would it be big enough for a cot to stretch out? I would think that would be the only limiting factor. I've never owned one, but have been inside a few while at cabelas. They seem roomy enough, but haven't actually measured one out.

Anyone ever done this?

22-Jan-15
Slept in mine last year during turkey season, so yes, they can serve as a tent.

22-Jan-15
I've taken several afternoon naps in one...

My first guess at a problem would be the weight. I have 3 backpacking tents that add up to weigh less than the bigger blinds on the market.

You don't want to tack 20 lbs on top of 60 lbs of gear.

22-Jan-15
I'm talking putting it up next to the truck. Either that or sleep in the back of the truck. Wasn't going to pack it any distance.

Was just curious if they were wide enough to fold out a cot?

22-Jan-15
No

22-Jan-15
I haven't been in one that would accommodate a cot. I'm curious as to why not just put up a tent, esp when truck camping? Phobia?

22-Jan-15
seen a lot of them at the camp grounds don't see why not. some have floors in them for a cot maybe cross ways corner to corner.

22-Jan-15
Sport Chalet has a cheap 3 man tent that costs 25 bucks when it's on sale every 3 months. I keep a couple of them just to store stuff in and for the kids. It does not hold in heat and will not hold up to serious wind. It will handle mild rain.

23-Jan-15
I guess my way of thinking was if I was going to buy one anyways for hunting, why not pull double duty with it when I needed a simple tent on a solo Colorado elk hunt or something of the like.

The ones ive been in seem very well made and durable. Add a lantern and a Mr. Heater Big Buddy double burner and you are in business.

Just a thought

23-Jan-15
Bud, unless you are less than 5 feet tall, there is zero way you are going to have enough room to lay in a ground blind and sleep for the night. And that is corner to corner. Straight in line, you'd need to be 4 feet or shorter. Buy a good tent or even a truck tent to use the truck bed to sleep in. It's a lifetime investment. One you'll be glad you made. God Bless

23-Jan-15
Watch your heat source. Tents are required to be fire-resistant. Blinds are not, so they arent. They also arent dry in the rain. Not the ones I've been in, anyway.

23-Jan-15
There are blinds plenty big enough to sleep in/place a cot in. Excellent idea bud as alot of people do it.

23-Jan-15
Bad idea. You're far better off sleeping in the cab of your truck w/ the seatbelt sticking you in the ribs and a hand warmer in your undies.

23-Jan-15
We've slept three in a ground blind on numerous occasions but I wouldn't pack one around to pull double duty.

23-Jan-15
Get yourself a good used base camp tent on Craigslist or the classifieds - one big enough for a cot if that's what you want to use. Use the blind for a blind.

Unless you plan to quit tent camp hunting after this season, it will be a cheap investment.

23-Jan-15
I agree with WVM and Jaquomo. As far as tents go, you want something that's far larger than 6 feet. Even sleeping corner to corner a 6 foot tent will hit you in the face when it's windy and get condensation on your face at 0300 hrs when you roll over.

I once woke up to my hair frozen to the side of a 6 foot tent.

23-Jan-15
I would have my pop-up set up in the place I wanted to hunt. That would "not" be next to my truck. I would either sleep in the truck (doubtful) or have a camp set-up for cooking and sleeping when not hunting.

23-Jan-15
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Sportz_tent/CAMO_TENT.jpg

heres one?

Just Google "Camo Tent"

23-Jan-15
The one I have leaks rain if it's coming doe hard. Not sure I'd want water dripping on me when I sleep. As far as space you wouldn't fit a cot In mine.

23-Jan-15
If you want a pop up look at Pelsu look at the "D" style. They had pop ups 30 years ago, mine is at least 25 years, have used it to work in the rain to splice telephone cable. Now use it for base camp shower room, outhouse for the family. also as a cook shelter.

23-Jan-15
I'm six five and I have used my primos blind numerous times at country music festivals. Didn't feel like ruining a good tent. Set up the cot diagonally. Some of the seams did leak in the downpours.

23-Jan-15
If your camping at the truck sleep under the stars get in if it rains.

23-Jan-15
I've slept in my blind a bunch on pack-in turkey hunts in the mountains, but as others have said, I wouldn't pack one just to sleep in it.

23-Jan-15
Slept in mine also several times speedgoat hunting in Wyoming & Kansas on those all day sits. 2 years ago I was in Western Kansas taking a mid-day nap when I was awaken by a snake crawling over the top of me. Thank goodness it was just a grass snake but it got my attention. I'd buy a tent to sleep in.

23-Jan-15
Can you? Sure.

Should you? NO.

You would be better off just sleeping in your truck and storing your gear in the ground blind.

23-Jan-15
I have an Ameristep Brotherhood that's plenty big to use as a tent, and if rain were an issue I would throw a poncho or small tarp over top, or just a piece of poly. Far too many rattlesnakes where I hunt to even consider a floorless tent though....especially considering the 7 foot plus (measured)one we encountered recently.

23-Jan-15
If you get any weather at all you will be less than comfortable. High winds, rain etc. Snow can collapse it as well.

Get a tent or sleep in the truck.

23-Jan-15
Last season, after getting caught in a high mountain thunderstorm at last light, trying to find a safe place to shimmy down a steep canyon wall, then an hour walk in the pouring rain and lightning back to my base camp....it was like walking into the Hilton when I stepped into my Kodiak Canvas tent.

I like having a place to hang clothes to dry, sit and eat a meal, look over maps, etc. I can't imagine trying to camp in a hunting blind for 2 weeks.

23-Jan-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
+ Midwest. I graduated a few years ago. My base camp now has two wheels and a raised axle so it will go almost anywhere my Trail Runner will go.

Sure is nice to dry out and regroup at the warm little trailer during one of those four-day downpours. If I need to move, just hook up and go. A rested hunter is a better hunter.

Prairie, keep an eye out - you can often pick up a little pop-up tent trailer that needs some work for pretty cheap. Well worth it in the long run.

23-Jan-15
Sure your blind will work for early season hunts so long as you have it waterproofed in some fashion. Sleeping in the back of a truck with an aluminum shell is the pits. Too much condensation.

Snakes aren't a problem in the hi country. But I did spend a morning with a rattlesnake in the blind with me once while antelope hunting. Not fun!!! I suppose it crawled in during the evening to warm up. It finally moved out as the sun warmed things up. But I sat there for an eternity it seemed like, not daring to move a muscle. It never did buzz while I was getting in the blind. Guess maybe it was still too cold.

Now, before I get in, I always bang the sides of the blind and listen for the buzz.

• Sitka Gear