Fulldraw 31-Jan-15
Don K 01-Feb-15
orionsbrother 01-Feb-15
midwest 01-Feb-15
Fulldraw 02-Feb-15
cityhunter 02-Feb-15
Fulldraw 03-Feb-15
23-Jan-15
Just found out my hunting "partner" decided not to put in for Wyoming this year. We had planned on using our 6 Wyoming points this year.

So, now I have to scramble to decide what to do for elk this year....

Sucks, huh???

23-Jan-15
Go alone, enjoy the experience, and meet some new guys in your hunting area?

Last season I hunted solo for the first time in decades, in a new area. Had a great time, met some new hunting friends, learned some new spots they shared with me. All in all, it was one of the most enjoyable elk seasons I've ever had.

23-Jan-15
New Mexico. Put an easier to draw tag as your 3rd choice. Go to southern ID if you don't draw.

23-Jan-15
How did your season work out Lou?

23-Jan-15
+1 Jaquomo. I just applied for WY with the intent of going solo. Just me and my points. Hunted 98% of last season solo for deer and elk. I really enjoyed it.

It's time to look into either a sat phone or PLB though (to keep the spouse at ease).

23-Jan-15
Well I am pretty much in a same position. My old hunting partner is just slowing down and seems less interested every year to make the trip out west. I have 7 NY WY points as was hoping to use them this year but just can't settled on a Unit.

23-Jan-15
"Well I am pretty much in a same position. My old hunting partner is just slowing down and seems less interested every year to make the trip out west. I have 7 NY WY points as was hoping to use them this year but just can't settled on a Unit." Sounds like a match to me! Problem solved, I'm not trying to be funny here.If I was in your situation I'd figure a way to get togeather and split gas money.

23-Jan-15
I learned many years go if i waited for others to go hunting i would never get there ! I killed two bulls this year all alone new units. I love hunting solo and prefer it , it will test your mental ability esp when things get tough , Its awesome not to talk or see annoying humans for days !!

23-Jan-15
"I learned many years go if i waited for others to go hunting i would never get there !"

So true.

I enjoy hunting both ways. I did a couple trips with people this past year and a couple solo. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. But both ways beats the hell out of not going.

24-Jan-15
Yeah, that sucks, but go anyway. My wife is pregnant, due the middle of September...DOH!!!!

25-Jan-15
Agree with cityhunter,GO ALONE.I always plan for solo but if I find someone interested in the mean time then I have a partner.I would never let a partner determine if I went or not except for fly in Alaska.There I just think its too dangerous to go alone

25-Jan-15
Sounds like Full Draw and Tracker should put in for the same units and become new hunting buddies for this year . . . 6 and 7 points for you guys, sounds like you can likely draw the same units.

If you can't . . . then the common theme seems to be, go alone.

I'd say that if you go alone, have a few hundred dollars cash in your pack and if/when you get a bull down, quarter it, hang it and thumb a ride with the first dude on a horse that trots past, pay him in cash to haul your bull out . . . take lots of pics.

25-Jan-15
I have never had any luck hunting a long ways from home with a buddy. They seem to always have to get back home early or their wife keeps bugging them, something always happens...they don't like driving, they get home sick I guess so I don't even think about hunting with friends any more because you just can't depend on them. When hunting season comes and I have the tag I'm in it until the killings done or the season ends or I have a family emergency.... If you hunt with me bring your own gear and your own truck because I'm not leaving early... that way if a guy starts crying he can head home and I can stay !! and might not go straight home when we are done hunting....I love being on the road. Matter of fact I just bought a new F 350 and a 31 foot camper...Home away from home come hunting season.

25-Jan-15
I have found that many people like the idea of hunting more than the reality of it. They get the gear, watch the shows, etc. But, when the alarm goes off at 3a.m. the reality sets in........

25-Jan-15
Did the Solo thing last Season for the first time and I really liked it.

Years ago when my hunting partner and I were on the same page, it was great. But unfortunately, that ship has sailed.

I found it way less problematic to just go one-on-one with the elk, and it worked out great.

I bought a Delorme Inreach, and I would send a couple messages each day to my Wife and daughter, who could track my position online.

Best of Luck, Jeff

31-Jan-15
Thanks for all the input..I have decided to not apply to hunt by myself...I guess I am "chicken".

31-Jan-15

01-Feb-15
If you had already planned on going just GO. You can always find someone to camp with and hunt on your own and meet back at camp if your that worried. A Delorme InReach is a great tool to have also.

Don't put off what you want to do today for tomorrow as there may be no tomorrow..........

01-Feb-15
If you don't go, you will find yourself awfully twitchy when the season comes around. I might go as far as to suggest that you will likely be unpleasant.

I think you should go too. Explain to your wife that it's actually community service.

01-Feb-15
One more season you'll never get back...

02-Feb-15
Oh, I'm gonna hunt, just not Wyoming. I will now have time to find another to join me elsewhere.

:)

02-Feb-15
best of luck

03-Feb-15
Thanks Lou.

• Sitka Gear