IdyllwildArcher 23-Jan-15
Heat 23-Jan-15
Vids 24-Jan-15
wildwilderness 24-Jan-15
mixed bag 25-Jan-15
cmbbulldog 25-Jan-15
Redman 25-Jan-15
23-Jan-15
I've been looking through the regs and on their website. I still can't find the following:

1. Draw results showing how many points are required for each unit. 2. How to get a loyalty point and a hunter education point. 3. Tag allocation - Percentage to NR vs R, and whether or not tags go to highest point holders only or if some of them are given out via random draw.

If someone could provide links to the right documents that would help.

Essentially here's my issue. I just started building points, but from what I read on here it sounds like you could get drawn randomly even without high points. I'm trying to figure out if I should just put in for points until get a lot, or if I might as well apply for a unit and maybe get lucky before my points build up.

Thanks for any help. Vids

23-Jan-15
1. I like hunters trail head 2. 5 years of applying. There is supplement hunters ed class coming up go on Monster mulies site and find Don Martin for info.3. would take a while! IN the tops units there won't be a random draw for non res as all non res tags will go in the 20% pass pool(20% of tags to people with most points) Non res get a max of 10% tags. So if 15 tags for a hunt non res can get a max of 1

Thats a quick version

23-Jan-15
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID33/2713.html#.VMLA4dLF9aY

23-Jan-15
The points data take a lot of sorting to go through on the various websites. It's better to have a service like hunterstrailhead.com to do the work for you as it makes the sifting through the data much quicker. It costs 25 bucks a year for a subscription. With it, you can go to a particular state, punch in how many points, the unit you want to hunt, and it'll show you your odds along with links to the success rates, maps, and other statistical data. The numbers, though, are screwed up some in places like WY and especially AZ due to their systems not accounting for both the PP and the random rounds and in AZ where the state doesn't report exactly how many tags go in the 20% round and how many go in the 1-2 pass.

You get a loyalty point after 5 yrs of applying in succession and lose it if you don't apply for a year. The hunter ed class has to be done in AZ, but you'll have the point forever.

There are preference point systems and bonus point systems. In preference point systems, whoever has the most points, wins. In bonus point systems, you get another chance or chances for each point you have.

AZ has a screwy bonus point system whereas for the first round, 20% of the tags go to whoever has the most bonus points. That translates into the best zones never getting a shot to go to the 1-2 pass which is where the computer looks at everyone first and 2nd choices. There are a couple mid-tier units that will drop to the 1-2 pass so if you're willing to apply for those, yes, it's worth putting in every year and hoping for a tag.

23-Jan-15
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BigGameDrawingProcess.shtml

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BonusPointProcess.shtml

To make sense of these reports you're going to need the 2014 Regulations to see what hunt number corresponds with the appropriate data you need.

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/documents/bonus/5-2014/2014%20Pronghorn%20and%20Elk%20-%20Bonus%20Point%20Report%20-%20Bonus%20Pass%20by%20Hunt%20Number.pdf

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/documents/bonus/5-2014/2014%20Pronghorn%20and%20Elk%20-%20Bonus%20Point%20Report%20-%201-2%20Pass%20by%20Hunt%20Number.pdf

This pretty much covers it for the most part. Hunt Arizona 2014 document covers some historical survey and harvest data as well. Let us know if you need help ciphering!

Good Luck!

24-Jan-15
Thanks for the info, I'll start digging into some of those links.

24-Jan-15
FYI there was a proposal to change how the AZ draw treats NR. As mentioned they cap NR tags up to 10% of the total. So even though the bonus pass goes to 20% only half of those can be NR. There often are NR with higher bonus points then Residents who do not draw. If the 10% NR cap is met in the bonus pass, you have 0 random chance to draw as a NR. (AZ doesn't like to make the numbers easy to find)

The new change proposed is to cap the NR to 5% of the bonus pass (guaranteeing 15% to Residents). This would then allow (though not guaranteeing) up to 5% tags in the random draw for additional NR to draw without max points.

This hurts high NR point holders and may help low point holders in the short term giving them a chance, albeit slim.

25-Jan-15
Thinking of getting into Az for points.Are there any decent hunts to be had with 5-6 years of points??I just can't see going in for 10-20 years at this point.Has point creep been a problem in Az like Co?Or just high end units

25-Jan-15
You can absolutely have a great hunt after 5-6 years.

25-Jan-15
Keep in mind that 5-6 years of applying will cost over $1000

• Sitka Gear