ohiohunter 24-Jan-15
Elkman52 25-Jan-15
habu john 25-Jan-15
txhunter58 25-Jan-15
greenmountain 25-Jan-15
Keef 25-Jan-15
ohiohunter 25-Jan-15
23-Jan-15
Where are the archives?? looking for a camera for the wife (non-hunter) but smart enough to take good pics.Looking for the right camera. thanks

23-Jan-15
It'll help if you'll specify exactly what you're trying to do, and how much you want to spend.

Great pics are not as much about the brand or model of camera as they are about the abilities, experience and knowledge of the guy/gal running it. That being said, as a general guideline, bigger sensors and bigger lenses will afford you the best chance of taking better quality wildlife pics. Beyond that, it'll be up to you.

24-Jan-15
I have an old Canon SLR that takes great pictures you can't beat the image quality of an old film camera. Having said that I just purchased a little digital to take hunting with me. The brand is not all that important as long it retails for more that $150. I chose that number arbitrarily but the point is most companies make small cameras that take good pictures. For outdoors folks a zoom is essential. A camera in the hand takes much better pictures than my SLR at home.

24-Jan-15
I would recommend a hybrid which is between an SLR and point and shoot. This allows you great zoom features and all the functions from fully automatic to manual mode without buying and lugging around different lenses. If she wants to step up down the road to an SLR then the functions are similar. I read where even the pros carry a hybrid as a backup or for initial shots. I shoot a Canon SX50 but as others have said there are a lot of good ones out there. I was a multi lens guy with film and was headed that direction with digital until researching. Prices are around $350 . Good luck

24-Jan-15

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Took this photo the other day and it was across a river at a pretty good distance.

24-Jan-15
Sorry double post

24-Jan-15
For me, I have to balance image quality and reach (zoom) with what I'm willing to carry while hunting. I'm currently using a "point-and-shoot" high magnification camera. The Canon SX 50 HS. I't about the same size as a DSLR but without the size of an equivalent zoom lens. Any time you use much zoom, even with image stabilization, you have to hold the camera absolutely still. This usually requires not only a tripod, but some type of remote shutter release. While this camera doesn't have bluetooth, it does have a shutter release with a cord attachment.

"...you can't beat the image quality of an old film camera."

That's really funny.

24-Jan-15
Sony rx100

25-Jan-15
Thanks all for the info.The camera won't be for hunting .probably just vacations and hiking think my wife has settled on a NikonD3200 MP digital with a zoom lens.thanks again Greg

25-Jan-15
The Panasonic Lumix is a great little camera. Great lens, light weight and some great features including video.

25-Jan-15
I agree with what everyone has said. If YOU ever decide you want a camera to carry hunting, you can't beat the pocket cameras. The important thing to remember there is the OPTICAL zoom. I have both a 12x and 18x optical zoom. Small enough to put in a pocket or pack and carry anywhere.

However, for the question you asked, I think you made a wise decision going with the SLR camera. For your wife where the picture IS the thing, an digital SLR is the only way to go. They just take better, finer detail pictures.

25-Jan-15
Wow! This is a constructive post. I came to the Bowsite for this and have been disappointed lately. I am glad that those with different perspectives can share opinions without bickering. Elkman: I hope your wife takes some great pictures with whatever she chooses.

25-Jan-15
I bought the Lumix based on BB's recommendation. It's a great little camera. I don't carry my Nikon anymore.

25-Jan-15

ohiohunter's embedded Photo
ohiohunter's embedded Photo
I bought the rx100 for my africa trip to take my trophies home so to speak. I had no desire to pay to send the actual animals home. This is little camera takes better pics than my SLR. At 20mgp and some serious optical and digital zoom features it is all I'll need for a long time.

• Sitka Gear