Cheesehead Mike 04-Feb-15
Will 04-Feb-15
Aspen Ghost 04-Feb-15
Outdoorsdude 06-Feb-15
welka 07-Feb-15
Barty1970 09-Feb-15
huntnfish808 11-Feb-15
04-Feb-15
Hope I didn't post this in the wrong section if so I will re-post in the E&G section

I shoot a Bear Anarachy 60-70 with a 31.5" draw.

Going on a CO elk hunt in Sept and I want to start working on my setup. I want to shoot at the highest # I can control but I want to make sure I have enough punch to bring down one of those big beasts.

I have a shooting form problem, that when I raise the # too much I torque my arm and I get a lot of string slap. The bow shoots awesome but I want to find that sweet spot where everything falls into place. I guess my question is "where do you guys think the # should be at?" I shoot Slick Trick 125's.

04-Feb-15
Shoot whats comfortable and forget trying to get max poundage. Guys shoot through elk with stick bows. Your settup is fine at any wieght so choose the one that you like best. Good luck!

04-Feb-15
Shoot whats comfortable and forget trying to get max poundage. Guys shoot through elk with stick bows. Your settup is fine at any wieght so choose the one that you like best. Good luck!

:-)

04-Feb-15
Don't even push the issue with that form problem. Stick well below where you know it will occur. You didn't give us an arrow weight, but as long as you aren't on the super light end (which I kind of assume you aren't since you shoot a 125 head and have a 31.5" draw) you will be fine. Shoot right at 60# if necessary. Modern bows are pretty efficient.

Disclaimer: I'm no elk expert, but have soaked up the knowledge from this site fairly well. Those two guys above know elk though.

04-Feb-15
Shoot the Easton Axis 340's

04-Feb-15
I use to shoot a Bowtech Old Glory 60# bow and worried about poundage just like you. The setup on this bow shoots 29" arrows 275+ fps, with arrow weight around 450 grains.

Have had complete pass through with no shoulder contact on elk, out to 60 yrds.

I'm sure some will argue, but 260 FPS with 450 grain weight is MY minimum.

Guarantee a lot have been killed with less.

04-Feb-15
Your bow setup is perfect right now. Only thing I would add is shoot at a minimum 450 grain arrow.

04-Feb-15
Here you go...A lot of guys who hunt elk every year shoot for 65 ft-lbs KE...IMO..I like 70+

http://archeryreport.com/2009/12/arrow-kinetic-energy-quick-reference-chart/

04-Feb-15
Double post

04-Feb-15
With that draw length you will be plenty fine at 60#. Get a good solid broad head and an arrow in the 450 grain +/- range and you will be fine.

Don't fall into the "KE Camp" for determining your bow's efficiency. KE is nothing but a marketing tool.

04-Feb-15
Backcountry is right..KE is a good tool if you understand 450 Grain Minimum...other wise your shooting dry spitballs..lol

04-Feb-15
Double...wtf

04-Feb-15
You can't go wrong with the "shoot the heaviest poundage you can shoot comfortably AND accurately" mentality. Whether that's 70# or 60#, NEVER compromise accuracy and form for extra poundage. Although there's been tons of elk killed with lighter arrows, I also recommend an arrow in the 425-450gr minimum range.

Rest assured, with a 31 1/2" DL, energy/momentum won't be an issue even at 60#, as long as you use a reasonably weighted arrow.

04-Feb-15
You're setup is fine. You will be better off shooting it at 60# if that's where you're most accurate and comfortable. If you can achieve the same accuracy at 70# and draw your bow without reaching for the sky, by all means go up. But don't think you have to shoot a heavy bow to kill elk. Placement is far more important

450 grain is a good arrow weight that will deliver a compromise between penetration and trajectory. Slick Trick 125 is a great choice.

My partner and I have killed dozens of elk with stickbows in the 53-57# range. Arrows around 450, 125 gr. Slick Tricks or Muzzys. My Mathews is set at 60# with the same arrow setup, and it's like hitting them with a truck.

04-Feb-15
Heavy # doesn't lead to a form problem, it just magnifies it. You should get someone to take multiple pics if your form, bow hand, draw arm..etc and start a new thread. There is a really good chance a bull elk at close range will magnify the form problem the same way high draw wt does. Get rid of the form problem and that might allow for more draw to be shot without negative consequences.

04-Feb-15
One question I have is: Are you sure you have a 31.5" draw length?

It could be that you are shooting a bow with too long of a draw length and that might contribute to your form issues.

Just a thought...

04-Feb-15
Cheesehead

I wear a 37 inch sleeve shirt.

Have tried backing down to 31 inch and it just isn't right.

Bow shop guy confirmed.

Thanks

04-Feb-15
There is a big advantage to being able to draw and let down your bow very slowly, and to being able to hold at full draw for a long time.

The bottom end of your bow (60 lbs) is plenty for elk. Don't be afraid to turn that draw weight down. Maximize your shooting ability, not your draw weight.

06-Feb-15
Placement kills Elk, above all. I know a lady who uses a 45lb draw and 400gr arrow with COC head, she limits shots to 30 yds (watched her pass on a 35yd shot last year).

Your set-up will work fine, as long as you do your part.

I draw 31 in myself and still use 125gr head; how do you get by with 340 spine? I had to go to 300 spine to get consistent flight at 70lb draw.

07-Feb-15
Great advice from all. I am also a 30" draw and we are rare. I would seriously consider switching to a stiffer arrow (I shoot 450 CE maxima hunter) with your draw length or you risk being more erratic at longer distances due to arrow stability (too flexible). Probably OK if you stick with the slick trick, but any other fixed blade of length will not be as accurate. Good luck

09-Feb-15
I'm shooting a Hoyt Faktor 34 set at 60lb [can crank it to 70lb]...29" CE Maxima Hunter 350s [8.9gpi] with 125 Slick Trick Magnums, my 437gr arrow is getting 260 fps...so mass x velocity squared divided by 450240 = 65 ft lb KE

The previous posts from known elk-killers gives me encouragement that my set up is enough to do the job [with proper shot placement on my part of course, which is as important if not more important than KE]...practicing out to 60 yards, and would be confident of sealing the deal at 40 yards

11-Feb-15
The most important things for my Elk setup #1- forgiving bow #2- comfortable to hold at full draw #3- reliable fixed blade broad head #4- power

• Sitka Gear