montana CMR elk
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Coccon Man 10-Feb-15
TD 10-Feb-15
LKH 10-Feb-15
HUNT MAN 10-Feb-15
10-Feb-15
I have been looking for recent information about elk numbers in the CMR refuge, specifically the parts in 622, 700 and 410. I have hunted in the CMR 700 and 410, but that was years ago, lots of fires and changes in the water levels of the lake since then. I have checked the CMR web site for any recent population stats, but have not come across any.

Anyone know the info on the Elk populations in the different parts of the CMR? I realize it will take a while to build up bonus points to get drawn.

Thanks ahead of time!

10-Feb-15
If I recall, building up points just gets your name in the hat more often, it's not a preference point system? I know folks that have drawn NR permits back to back years and others not drawn the breaks in 5 years.

My guess is populations are dependent on the cow tags they hand out. Have really cut the herd back over the last several years. Nothing like it used to be.

Maybe someone in the MT FWP would have a good answer?

10-Feb-15
Large parts in 410 by the Musselshell trail burnt in the last few years. With it went the juniper cover in the drainages and few elk remained there. They would go thru but not stay. Numbers are down and the serious problem of the refuge ranches makes the hunting iffy at times.

MT is having trouble selling all their tags. They have started to advertise and I would not expect FWP personnel to be forthcoming with information that might adversely affect their departments income. Sort of like some of the outfitters in wolf country.

10-Feb-15
To many cow tags have hurt the breaks population on public land. HUNT

• Sitka Gear