Jack Harris 13-Feb-15
Charlie Rehor 13-Feb-15
LUNG$HOT 13-Feb-15
midwest 13-Feb-15
luckyleo 13-Feb-15
Junior 13-Feb-15
jstephens61 13-Feb-15
12-Feb-15
Anyone hunt elk with this arrow and if so did you modify it to make it heaver.

12-Feb-15
I have some. They shoot great. I didn't use them on elk, because like you I thought they were a touch light.... I think you could add some heavy inserts or put something inside them. Hopefully someone chimes in with some proven solutions.

12-Feb-15
I'm shooting 100 grain brass in my gold tips. That should get the reds close to what most would considerperfect.

12-Feb-15

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Not an elk, but I killed one of these using a Maxima Red 350 with a 100 grain b-head. Worked fine.

12-Feb-15
Lot of the local trad hunters here are using then with brass inserts and they are working very well for them. You can get 50&100 gr ones.

13-Feb-15
Shot a cow elk last year at 25 yards with a max red tipped with a 125gr broadhead. No extra weight. I center punched a rib on entry and cracked a rib on opposite side stopping just short of making an exit hole. Seems like enough to me, especially if shooting a compound.

13-Feb-15
LUNG$HOT, What was your total arrow weight and broadhead design?

13-Feb-15
T-Roy , man that is awesome... I really want one of those!

13-Feb-15
I used 100 grain inserts in mine! Got me to 420 grains!

13-Feb-15
The BH was a slick trick mag and my total arrow weight was around 390gr. I know, it's light! FWIW The year prior I had a complete pass through on my bull but I was only at 15 yrds. Same setup.

13-Feb-15
Thanks, LUNG$HOT, just curious.

13-Feb-15
My arrow length is 28 inch with a 100 grain broadhead with a total weigh of about 390 grains. from what i read most elk hunters say it should be 450 minimum. ???????

13-Feb-15
luckyleo, what ever you do, DO NOT cut corners on arrow weight! Get as close to 450 as you can!

Also 450 grains will turn into 200 grains if the arrow breaks on impact. So make sure you get a good arrow too.

An elk is twice the thickness of a deer, with ribs three time that of a deer. You want the best penetration possible, with hopes of a complete pass through.

There are plenty of horror stories of why you need a heavy durable arrow for elk! Make sure yours isn't one of them.

13-Feb-15
Haven't shot an elk with them, yet. They blew through a kudu wildebeest and zebras with no added weight and a 100 grain Muzzy.

• Sitka Gear