concordprof 19-Feb-15
concordprof 20-Feb-15
brooktrout 20-Feb-15
billygoat 20-Feb-15
groundhawg 22-Feb-15
groundhawg 22-Feb-15
concordprof 23-Feb-15
14-Feb-15
Well guys I posted a few weeks ago about a guided elk hunt. Some things fell through so I am planning on going with some other guys who have gone before. This will now be a diy hunt in unit 521 in Colorado. They have hunted it before but it has been a few years. Can anyone here provide me any information on this area? Thanks

15-Feb-15
You can check stats on all units in Co on their website.It will give hunter numbers,success rates,population ect..

16-Feb-15
Thanks. I will check that out. Anyone hunted there recently?

16-Feb-15
crowded, lots of hunters

16-Feb-15
If I'm willing to walk, do you think I can get away from most hunters?

18-Feb-15
Last time I was in there (2013) there were very few places left to camp, and I was surprised to see how many people had horses. We did get into some elk most days, not at all far in. Some friends hunted it again last season and said there were a lot more camps and never saw an elk all week. This was only one area. They never branched out from there.

I think now you just have to hunt around the hunters as much or more than looking for elk in every OTC unit.

19-Feb-15
By "one area" do you mean within the unit or going to another unit?

20-Feb-15
By "one area" do you mean within the unit or going to another unit?

20-Feb-15
there is some wilderness in the unit where you can walk to get away from other hunters other parts of the unit the farther you walk the closer you get to roads in the opposite direction

20-Feb-15
Yes, within the unit. I am certainly not an authority on this unit, but it is popular... because there are elk there.

22-Feb-15
Have hunted there and got a cow on my second trip out, had chances every time there. I have a friend that lives in CO. and he is retired and could hunt anywhere but chooses 521 for what thats worth. :)

22-Feb-15
In the part of 521 that we hunted, We only dealt with hunters walking from or to private lands and very few if any actually out in the woods. Paonia is a nearby town where you can get a steak dinner and renew your supplies.

23-Feb-15
Thanks groundhawg. I'm really starting to get excited about it.

• Sitka Gear