Fulldraw1972 17-Feb-15
cmbbulldog 17-Feb-15
IdyllwildArcher 17-Feb-15
GIT R DONE 17-Feb-15
IdyllwildArcher 17-Feb-15
GIT R DONE 17-Feb-15
LKH 17-Feb-15
17-Feb-15
Can anyone tell me what states are worth buying points in . I've already got 4 in wyoming but what other states are worth buying . I'm 44 year old now so I'm not lookin to buy 20 years worth of points . Thanks

17-Feb-15
Utah Nevada And Az I drew all three with 3 points

17-Feb-15
But Bigdan, that was twenty years ago when you did that, times have changed.

Im, just kidding with you Bigdan, BUT, actually even in the last five years those numbers certainly have, on average, went up, to some degree. But as all the states you mentioned, have some sort of random draw, or use bonus points instead of preference points, drawing a tag in any of these states after accruing three points I am certain can be done, but I would more seriously figure that if you choose much lesser, or shall we call them, average units, you should draw one, to all, in about five to ten years. On the downside, depending on certain variables, you may draw the first year you apply, or it may take more like 6 to 10, and my thoughts here would again, most likely apply to average units - the most sought after units in Arizona, due to the structure of their system, WILL require 20 plus points before you are assured to draw. In Utah, it could happen at any level for any hunt, and Nevada, from what I understand, gives out so few nonresident tags, it isn't hardly worth it - at least that is what I have been told, therefore, I don't apply there, so I don't know for certain.

17-Feb-15
Depending on what your looking for in a unit I would say Az and Co. I have points in both them states and don't plan on drawing a tag in the best units them states have to offer.

17-Feb-15
CO, Utah, AZ, NV

17-Feb-15
Are you you looking to "buy points" as you said or are you looking to apply? I'm not being sarcastic. If you want to buy points for 10 yrs or so and then have a hunt, then that changes everything.

Any place that you have a chance is worth applying over time if you apply every year.

I would agree with Bigdan if you apply every year. If you want to "buy points" for 10 yrs and then hunt, then I'd skip NV and possibly UT and just build points in AZ till you can hunt and stick with WY. Consider NM as well as it's a lottery and there's no points - you have the same chance as everyone else every year.

"Buying points" in NV will cost you almost 2 grand over 10 yrs and if you start putting in for the draw then, you'll still have a small chance at drawing.

Doing the same in AZ will net you 11 points 10 yrs from now which may still get you a good hunt 10 yrs from now. It'll also cost you a little under 2 grand.

Doing the same in UT will put you somewhere between AZ and NV in terms of actually being able to get a tag, but by then, you may not be looking at that great of a chance at that great of a tag, but it'll only cost you 42.50 a year in UT if you apply correctly and only app for elk.

It's impossible to give you good advice without knowing exactly what your goals are.

17-Feb-15
I ment buying points for a future hunt say in the future I'm 44 but I don't want to buy points if it's gonna say take 20 years to draw if that mskes sense

17-Feb-15
Then I'd stick with WY and AZ. I'd also apply to NM when it actually comes time for you to hunt, even though your chances will be slim at a good tag.

As far as trophy tags go, CA, OR, NV, UT, CO, and WA are basically a waste of your money as you'll either need the 20 yrs or your odds will still be very low after 10 yrs.

17-Feb-15
Well just what is a trophy for some it's 350 but I can tell you a 300 would be huge to me . I know done might cringe at this but I liked utah for if I can't bow hunt I can rifle hunt during bugling season . I live to bow hunt but sometimes things happen . Had a heart issue this year right before deer season and had to stop shooting bow for drs reasons

17-Feb-15
One of the nice things about WY is that you can put in for a tough to draw unit with no points and buy a point to get started. Even though you don't have any points you still have a small chance of drawing the random tag that all applicants get a shot at.

I'm 67 and when I drew 108 with max points in 2011 I stopped buying points. Still hunt WY but reduced price cow tags is how. Cows are harder to kill than the bulls.

• Sitka Gear