Joemn 21-Jul-15
BIGHORN 21-Jul-15
Amoebus 22-Jul-15
VARon 27-Jul-15
Dwayne 27-Jul-15
Kurt 27-Jul-15
Bentstick54 28-Jul-15
18-Feb-15
Thinking about taking a chest freezer on my next trip. What size do you take and what size of generator is needed.

18-Feb-15
My dad,brother and I have a 7 cubic ft. chest freezer that we have used for probably a decade. If you bone them out, you can fit two whole elk in it. Don't pile it all in at once though, unless the meat is already cooled down. It will stay warm in the middle for a long time. We use a 3000 watt generator, which is more than enough to run the freezer and charge batteries, etc. all at the same time. Just check the amps that the freezer uses. Ex. 10 amps at 120 volts would be 1200 watts. I would imagine a 2000 watt generator would run almost any freezer. The freezers get cold very quickly also. Definitely worth the investment for the freezer.

18-Feb-15
We take a 7 cubic ft also. We never used a generator, even though we had a 3000 watt. Plugged the freezer in the motel, used a 100 qt cooler to transport meat from the field. No need for the generator on the way home either. It will be frozen for days if the door stays shut. Make sure to take wax paper if you go this route. That way you can separate the quarters to keep from freezing together.

Oh, yea......go to several stores and tell them your looking for a dented defected..can get a great deal on those. We got ours cheap, was like a $100. New they are around $250.

20-Feb-15
I've put on thousands of miles with a chest freezer in the back of my truck. Plug it in at night when you stop, tape the lid shut and you won't need a generator. If you're not staying somewhere that you can plug it in, just make sure everything is frozen well before you leave and don't open the lid. It will stay frozen for days if there's much meat in there to keep the cold. I had 4 turkeys in mine for 3 days in the Arizona springtime heat and they were still frozen hard.

20-Feb-15
Has anyone used one of those DC converters to plug into?

20-Feb-15
I've been considering bringing a small chest freezer too and it seems like a good idea considering that a small freezer probably costs about the same as a couple 150 qt coolers.

I ended up cutting my hunt a couple days short last year because my buddy killed a bull early and we were worried about the meat keeping in the coolers. A freezer and a generator (which I already have) would have solved that problem.

20-Feb-15
Only way to go & yes an inverter works great! Amazing how lil power a freezer requires.

20-Feb-15
As long as the inverter will take the load when a motor kicks on you're good to go, as it doesn't really take much juice when it's running. I used a 500 watt inverter for a refrigerator in my truck for long trips to Wyoming for a number of years before I bought a trailer with a frig/freezer in it and had no problems at all. A generator is really overkill and a waste of gas and money IMO.

20-Feb-15
No power, no problem. Here is another trick! if you are going to be where there is no power do this. put freezer in back of truck. put several 5 gallon buckets of water upright in freezer then plug it in. IF you stay at a motel on a 2 or 3 day night just plug it up along the way when you can. Then when you get to your wilderness hunt the huge chunks of ice will stay frozen forever. Only access this freezer for meat. Take a separate chest for drinks. If you plan ahead you can unload the whole thing at camp with just a little planning or even take the buckets out if you have to. Simple!

20-Feb-15
We use a 5 cu.ft freezer they take very low power a 1000 watt would handle it very easy. A freezer only uses 100 watts or so.

20-Feb-15
I've always been fortunate enough to hunt in the state where I live and just used coolers so this freezer idea is kind of foreign to me. I would think the idea is to just get and keep the meat COOL not frozen, then thawed, processed and frozen again. Correct me if I'm wrong.

20-Feb-15
We had 10 antelope & deer in ours. The drive is 30 hours for us, so when we get home, cutting meat is not on the list. Gives time to recover for a few days without messing with ice.

20-Feb-15
I have used a 5 cubic foot chest freezer and a 2000 watt generator (that was the generator i had access to). Worked great.

The 5 cubic foot freezer will fit a bone-in elk, however i had to "trim" the bones on the hindquarters to make it work. This was a 2.5yr old elk, a fully mature bull you would probably need to bone a portion of it out.

I bought a used 5 c.ft. chest freezer used for $75, new they can be $150 to $200. As cheesehead stated above, that is about the same price as a new 150 qt cooler, and a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a Yeti.

I also freeze milk jugs or whatever jugs i have ahead of time, and keep the freezer about half full of those so i have access to a bunch of ice. Just throw them away on the return trip if need be. That way the freezer can be a cooler until time to start it up when you are successful. Make sure the meat is cooled down first, it will take awhile for the center meat to get frozen.

20-Feb-15
Plug it in before you leave and you wouldn't need a cooler for days for other food as well if you are truck camping. Nice idea!

20-Feb-15
yes been doing this for years I own 4 7ft boxes only cost about 160 each . I use small gen tied to the neck while driving back 2100 miles I have had two elk stuffed with room . Cooler are a waste once home serve no purpose only take up space ,my freezers are filled with capes and meat.

21-Feb-15
I got a 3000 watt inverter and a 5 cu ft freezer. Just haven't had time to install it

21-Feb-15
I might add too: Although we don't use the generator a lot for the freezer, its a must have for the sawzall! Hang the deer or antelope on the receiver game pole. Skin, cut the head off above the ears with sawzall. Then cut off the neck, remove front quarters, inner and outer loins. Saw the spine below the hind quarters, dropping the cage & guts, and then saw split the quarters. Cut off the four feet, and your done! No gutting, very little hair on the meat, all in about 10 minutes! Wouldn't work for elk, but for deer and antelope that are accessible, its awesome! FYI...The little Honda generators are quiet, and don't take up much room.

21-Feb-15

YakCountry.com's embedded Photo
YakCountry.com's embedded Photo
I never have, but have gotten a good chuckle out of this one I saw a few years back.

21-Feb-15
We always take one along and a couple of times while hunting in New Mexico when we killed a bull had one of the residence plug it in for us and paid him a few bucks to do it. Once we stopped at a Taxidermist and he also plugged it in. Otherwise once we had a bull down we would make a run to town and buy dry ice. That would freeze it up rock hard and we would have to wait a couple of days once we got back to Wisconsin for it to thaw out so we could finish processing it. Alan

21-Feb-15
Thought about doing this for moose and driving to AK and hunting the road system with a canoe and the freezer, but finally decided it wasn't worth it.

I was thinking of bringing a freezer this Sept as I'm planning on coming back with 3 elk and a mule deer :)

22-Feb-15
Just remember that a generator loses significant output with every 1000 feet of altitude, especially if jetted for sea level. Won't be a problem with a single freezer, but if you run other stuff off it there can be problems.

I like the optimism on this thread. Diametrically opposite the four guys going elk hunting in an overloaded Subaru!

22-Feb-15
I have placed a chest freezer in the bed of my truck for a caribou hunt, where we brought back 8 bulls worth of boned out meat. And also on an elk hunt where I connected on the last day and had quarters and straps in the freezer. Both were 30 hour plus drives and this has worked very well for me ( if crossing a border, they will look at you very funny when you pull up, and just plan to be checked).

I have a hunt for moose, with a chance at elk, and mt. Goat in 2016 and May look to increase the size of the freezer just in case.

I have always used a generator, then if I stopped somewhere I could plug in at night I would do that ( most of the time I try not to stop anywhere, too much gear that I don't want to leave in my truck if I am not in there). I like the idea of the inverter, but if your truck is not running and you need the freezer, can you run it or will it kill your truck battery too fast with no charging happening?

22-Feb-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
I looked into a inverter but im nervous of charging system failure in the back country

22-Feb-15
we've been using a 7 cubic foot one( enclosed trailer with a honda 2k inverter) for last 3 years, we also freeze a bunch of water and add pre-made frozen meals stored in either vac sealed bags or containers you can put in boiling water....dam good idea with the wax paper, we had to thaw and get a pry bar on the quarters to separate the individual animals

22-Feb-15
Nice to have all the good input..an inverter is a good idea..I googled chest freezer for watt usage... 131 is what I read..no more coolers...

22-Feb-15
I've used a 7 chest freezer for years. A few tips:

-Measure carefully before buying to make sure it will fit its designated space. Not all 7's would fit in the back of my SUV, but I found one that would. Still, I have to load it with the lid removed to fit it into the hatch, and once inside, I have enough room to screw the lid back on.

-Leave room around the motor so heat can disperse. My truck is nearly packed solid on the way home and I have to be careful to not stuff sleeping bags around the motor.

-It's surprisingly hard to find a motel that has an exterior plug you can use (I used to bring a long extension cord with me). I quit trying, and found that adding 5# of dry ice each morning kept a hard freeze on the meat for 4 days, even in temps in the 90's.

-Get that hard freeze before unplugging. Put the freezer temp on the lowest setting (-25 degrees usually)

-Fill all available space above the meat with frozen water jugs. Sometimes I need the room, and put my insulated clothing in the top of the freezer above the meat.

A 7 will hold a de-boned bull and cow usually. Or a de-boned bull and a cape. Though I once had a really large-bodied bull from which I took everything: rib roll, neck trim, liver, heart, skirt, shanks, that nearly filled it, and I had to bring my bear home in my 40-gal ice chest with lots of dry ice.

-Check that freezer every day once there's meat in it to make sure it's still working!

23-Feb-15
We used a 5 and a Honda 2000 last August. Put two Bou in it on day one, plugged it in for one day then unplugged it. The meat was still frozen 7 days later. Worked great.

Anyone have a Tacoma with the power inverter in the bed of the truck? Mine has one and I wonder if it would power a freezer?

23-Feb-15
Nick, I have a 2014 Silverado with an inverter up front and mine is only 150 watts. I run my laptop, dewalt 18v charger, and my kids games off of it but im not sure it would run a freezer. I have actually had it kick out when im setting out a coyote line and charging batteries constantly. I use an 18 volt drill to make dirtholes.

now from my understanding the Toyota is a 100/400 watt inverter so im guessing you could run a small chest freezer.

When I go on the road trapping ill bring at least one 15 cf freezer. When im running a 1200 watt electric heater and the freezer kicks in it will run down my Honda 2000 watt generator a bit but it still has enough more for a dewalt 18v charger.

good luck

michael

23-Feb-15
If you end up freeing the quarters solid before butchering, then unfreeze to process do you think your meat tastes as good? In the market now for a small freezer for hunting/fishing trips. Not a problem preparing fish in the field, but butchering large critters in the field during warmer temps has given me fits in the past. After last fall's heat and cooler experience I am ready to get the freezer.

23-Feb-15
Michael,

Thanks for the help. When you use it, the truck should be running, correct... So when you turn off your truck (in the case of having a freezer plugged in) should you be sure the freezer is unplugged from the inverter or are there no worries to it draining your battery? Trying to minimize the need for a jump, should the truck die...

23-Feb-15
I too wondered about the freeze-thaw-freeze process. Always heard that was bad for meat.

I have a 2007 Tacoma and tried a small freezer in the back with the power inverter - didn't work (luckily I tried it out before the trip). It couldn't handle the start up load. I was also concerned about battery consumption if the truck wasn't running. I believe it is 100w if the truck isn't running and 400w if it is. Don't think that is a good plan for a freezer.

I have wondered about simply using the freezer as a big cooler. Set the temp on a higher setting and don't run it long enough for a freeze. Wouldn't have to run the generator as much. Seems like it would work better than several coolers unless you can afford a bunch of YETIs... Anyone tried it like that?

23-Feb-15
What if you put a deep cycle battery or 2 in the truck box and wired them into the trucks charging system and then ran the inverter and freezer off of those batteries? The batteries would charge when the truck was running but you could have a cut-off switch to disconnect the deep cycle batteries from the truck charging system when the truck isn't running. Kind of like a big cabin-cruiser boat where you can switch to one battery while you're anchored out over night so you don't run both batteries dead with your lights, stereo, fridge, etc.

23-Feb-15
I think the freeze thaw process actually helps break the meat down. Just as tender.

We still go by the old beef standards of hang one day for every 100 pounds in the cooler after its thawed.

Deer we let hang 2 days at a min. and elk 5 days, unless either are yearlings.

We had a butcher cut a elk for us one time that was processed the same day it was killed. It was almost to tough to eat. They need hang time!

23-Feb-15
When the wife and I traveled and bowhunted several states, we had a chest freezer on the back of our travel trailer which worked great for deer. Hunted Tennessee for two weeks, then to Mississippi for a week and then we finished out the season in Alabama until the end of Feb. I was still working back then and lost several good jobs during hunting season. Seems the companies just couldn't coordinate with my hunting schedule.

James

23-Feb-15
James V thats funny darn work is a four letter word !!!!

24-Feb-15
I have a 7cu ft freezer on a hitch carry that I built. I couldn't find one that I trusted to hold the weight so I made my own. I also have a Coleman 2400w peak/1200w continuous inverter in my truck. I fill the freezer bottom with gallon jugs of water and freeze ahead of time. I then put bags of ice on top of that. I run the freezer on the way out to keep it all cold. It makes a nice cooler at camp holding mid to upper 30s for temps for two weeks. Last year when I shot my bull I removed the ice and layed the quarters on top of the jugs then placed the ice on top. I have done this in the past for 4-5 days with no worries but last year tagged on opening day so I took the freezer to a bar and grill in the middle of nowhere and plugged it in to freeze everything solid. After a few days of running the freezer I was set. When returning home I didn't have to rush to care for the meat. I left it unplugged on my trailer out in the sun. I had to wait a week for the first quarter to thaw enough to get it out. I got the last quarter loose from the bottom 3 weeks after it was unplugged and only the outside 1/2 inch was thawed. I thawed them one at a time and processed them myself. Freezers work great with no worries.

20-Jul-15
This looks interesting. I'm still questioning the idea of freezing the quarters, hanging to melt, butchering, and refreezing.

Do folks see any difference in meat quality?

20-Jul-15
Mad Angler,

I've done it many times when I get home from an elk hunt and don't have time to process the meat as soon as I get home.

I freeze the de-boned quarters and then thaw out, cut up, vacuum seal and refreeze as I have time. I haven't noticed any negative effects.

20-Jul-15
Cheesehead,

That does seem like a big advantage. I can imagine needing some time to recover after an elk hunt. It seems great to be able to fully process sometime later when you have time (and energy)

20-Jul-15
I'm taking one for the first time.

5.3 CUFT

with a Honda 2000 inverter generator.

already started freezing jugs

20-Jul-15

Pat it should a frezzer box do not use a lot of watts I never went the inverter route only due to short or electric problem then being stuck small 2000 watt gen does the trick for me frezzer is in trailer !

20-Jul-15
Freezer !!!

20-Jul-15
I have a question?

So you freeze the meat, get home thaw the meat. Then cut grind and package and refreeze? Does it make it tough?

20-Jul-15
Yes, just freeze and thaw as needed. There is nothing wrong with doing so. If you have never killed an elk you don't realize how much meat there is to cut.

I go from the field, to the freezer within a few days. Then pull out a quarter at a time and let thaw. Cut, wrap, re-freeze.

Trick for you, when the elk is still somewhat froze, that is the time to take the silver stuff off along with fat. Also easy to cut equal width pieces.

20-Jul-15
To make sure you can run your freezer all you have to do is make sure your inverter can handle the start up amps, and then the running amps of your appliance.

If it will you are golden, if not you will need to get a bigger inverter and more than likely (but not always) get larger wiring to handle the load.

20-Jul-15
i think my freezer needs 1100 watts to run

21-Jul-15
You guys that are hauling a freezer on an open trailer, are you tarping it or doing something else to keep rain out while on the highway? I would think a rain storm at 75mph would not be good for an electric freezer.

21-Jul-15
Debating on a chest freezer or just a small freezer to make ice while at camp. I have access to a 1 cubic freezer figure I could refreeze 2 liter bottles while at camp using a smaller generator to then support cooler for ride home. Main advantage is size and weight. If we move camps not sure I want to load and unload a larger freezer multiple times.

Or just the old fashion way and buy ice.

21-Jul-15
We plug our freezer into a thermostat that will run the freezer like a fridge. You can find them on the internet for about 40 dollars. That way we can use it to keep all our food and liquids in it without freezing them when we don't have any elk in it. Also it prevents the solid freezing of the quarters. It will keep it just above freezing. You just plug the cord from the generator into the unit and then from the unit into the freezer plugin. Then just stick the probe into the freezer and control the temp with a knob. That way we never have to worry about ice to keep things cold either.

21-Jul-15
Last year my son and I brought back 4 caribou in chest freezers with ice in the box. Of course, the meat was frozen before we left for CO and there wasn't a problem.

Next year my wife and I are doing a moose hunt north of Thompson and we plan to drive from there to CO using the same process. However, I don't know if they will have the moose frozen or not. I may have to find a place to freeze the meat before we head back to CO.

22-Jul-15

Amoebus's Link
This is for the confident hunters...

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/bfs/5118359066.html

27-Jul-15
"You guys that are hauling a freezer on an open trailer, are you tarping it or doing something else to keep rain out while on the highway? I would think a rain storm at 75mph would not be good for an electric freezer."

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well.

27-Jul-15
Pat, I believe the F150 rating on that outlet is 150 watts. At 120 volts that would only allow about 1.25 amps. They are great for cell phones and computers but that is about it.

27-Jul-15
My little freezer 7 cu ft (1976 model) that I'd taken on an elk hunt took all my 2000 watt Honda inverter/generator has to start it. Once it was running, no problem and the generator idled along. I've always read it takes about 3 times the current to start a motor versus run it once up to speed. Worked great on the hunt to keep vacuum sealed pre-made meals frozen, make ice for the cooler and cool down one of our elk. New freezers may have be more efficient than my 40 yr old that I lhave sold but undoubtably need more power than the truck plugs provide. My 2015 F150 has a 400 watt 110 v plug, likely still inadequate for a freezer.

28-Jul-15
In 2008 went to BC moose hunting. Put 10cu ft chest freezer in bed of truck plugged into 2000 watt inverter. Plugged in while driving during day, turned off when stopped at night. Brought 350 lbs boned out moose home on three day drive.worked great. Started out with meat frozen at outfitters before loading in my freezer for trip home. Taking to Wyoming this September antelope hunting.

• Sitka Gear