crankn101 28-Feb-15
Lost Arra 28-Feb-15
txhunter58 28-Feb-15
IaHawkeye 28-Feb-15
JRABQ 28-Feb-15
Surfbow 28-Feb-15
LUNG$HOT 28-Feb-15
18-Feb-15
Colorado has been increasing NR tag cost each year for the past several. Are these increases set during the setting of the 5 year season structure or just proposed and implemented on a yearly basis? In other words is there something that would show if tag cost increases are set to continue over the next several years?

18-Feb-15
Yes, they will continue raising prices every year. And no they are not set for the 5 year structure. They are allowed an automatic "consumers price index" type increase in prices annually on nonresidents only, and they will continue to do that. Resident pricing is set and can only be raised by an act of legislation.

18-Feb-15
Yup,,,, ^^^^^^^ what he said.

19-Feb-15
Several years ago the price actually went down a few bucks because it was tied to the Denver CPI.

20-Feb-15
That won't be happening anytime soon with the way things are turning up on the Front Range again.

22-Feb-15
Kinda blows but I'd' rather spend $500 for a chance at a bull in Co. then to shoot a whitetail in Illinois.

22-Feb-15
Uh, actually $615. I may be going to NM this year, which will be more than that, but may have a decent shot at a big bull

22-Feb-15
I can remember the day when a NR elk tag sold for $25 bucks in Colorado.

27-Feb-15
dang you must be old as Methuselah

27-Feb-15
CO gets one right!

28-Feb-15
Funny how so many keep pointing fingers at Colorado price increases, NE,KS,WY and few others(including eastern states) have increased their big game tags, and you don't hear any winning about them. The cap on elk tags is Co. is $650 or so, you won't see prices like NM $787,MT $846, WY NR special $1057.00 and their all draw tags not OTC, so your WINNING FOR WHAT!?

Colorado is still the cheapest state to hunt elk in for the OTC areas, and yes we do have big bulls, you just have to work harder to find them.

28-Feb-15
LOL. Wondered how long it would take for a resident to Whine about this thread! And would you please show the quote from this discussion that constitutes "whining". All I see is a discussion about how it works. :)

And for clarity, there is no cap on what CO can raise the price to in the future. The cap you are referring to was for this year only (CPI). It will be different (higher) next year.

28-Feb-15
I never whine about tag prices pay to play and hunt in the mountain's. However, Colorado keeps complaining that they are down thousands of Elk hunters so raising the price of your product without improving the product it is a poor business plan in any business, and folks it is a business. I continue to buy points and it is a great state to hunt in but the management and points system is UP IN SMOKE!! Pun intended...

Rob

28-Feb-15
yes I know it's just a discussion, but the underlying nature is whining, even in your statement txhunter58.

bigbulls6,You are spot on about it being a business, the phrase that is used in Co. "The Evil Empire". Don't get me wrong, myself and many others have NO problems with NR hunters at all, we the people all own the public lands/animals of these western states, which brings this to another issue, the proposal to transfer these public lands to the states, this is a really bad idea, as much of our lands will have to be sold off or leased because there is no operating budget to manage them, let our politicians know this is a bad idea and not to follow through with ANY transfers of OUR public lands. Some say this is no concern, lets make sure it isn't!! because if this does happen, you can bet many hunters won't be able to afford to hunt Colorado (most western states) anymore, including resident hunters.(sorry not trying to hijack) HEY! not everyone here is a 'pot head':)

28-Feb-15
But Colorado residents always feel the need to convince us we are getting a deal. I suspect because their prices will go up if ours don't. Kind of like the British telling the colonists to quit whining about taxing them, because the get so much for their money. Granted we are coming to you and make a choice to pay the "tax" because you have a great product.

As far as bargains go, you can't get it much better than Texas. I just had 2 friends from Colorado and 1 from NM with their kids come hunting down here on my ranch for some exotics and pigs. The grown ups paid $48 for their license and 2-10 year old boys that came with them paid $6 each (NR youth license). One of the kids got his first deer ever (an axis).

Don't get me wrong Trad, you have a valid point and I might feel the same if I was a resident of CO. And I can afford to pay the price. However, I have friends that are part of the 30,000+ NR who have been priced out of the hunt. I am sure the Colorado economy lost more than the DOW gained with the price increases

I totally agree with you on the Federal/state transfer issue. That would mean more price hikes for you and me as well as a host of other problems.

28-Feb-15
Ah yes Texas is great, pay a $2k trespass fee to shoot a goat or a whitetail coming to a feeder on a road.

28-Feb-15
>>Colorado is still the cheapest state to hunt elk in for the OTC areas, and yes we do have big bulls, you just have to work harder to find them.<<

I still like Wyoming for most bang for the buck. (and I've never paid the Special draw)

28-Feb-15
Right Crank, that is all Texas hunting is about! And all people in Colorado are potheads. Not! LOL.

I have taken more than 10 people hunting on my ranch in the past year at no charge. We have a father/kid hunting weekend every year. At my age, I really like helping kids get their first deer, like I did last weekend. My ranch has been in the family since 1908 and has low fencing (and holes in it from the hogs!) so all game is wild and free ranging. That includes whitetail, turkeys, axis, sika, blackbuck antelope, and feral hogs.

Life is about finding like minded people and making new connections/friends. I have made "connections" and taken people hunting for free from Texas, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Montana, Minnesota, and Alaska. Probably others I can't remember.

28-Feb-15
Windwalker, I remember that too.I hunted Co. in 67' 68' 69. tags were $25 for deer and elk.

28-Feb-15
One thing they started last year was including the cost of a fishing license, so that added about $50. OK if you planned on fishing, but you have no choice. CO is not the only state that started doing this, I think it let's them get more Pittman-Robertson money because that is based on number of hunting & fishing licenses sold. But don't misunderstand, I'm not whining, CO has been good to me.

28-Feb-15
You could move here and it would only be $46 :)

28-Feb-15
Amen surfbow! ;)

• Sitka Gear