Coccon Man 21-Feb-15
Teeton 21-Feb-15
Coccon Man 21-Feb-15
jerrynocam 22-Feb-15
Coccon Man 22-Feb-15
Fulldraw1972 22-Feb-15
jerrynocam 22-Feb-15
20-Feb-15
Anyone hunted Elk with Eagle Mountain Outfitters near Gunnison Co ? Its an Elk drop camp, just wondering since the hunt is only for 5 days in your experience is that enough time. Most of the time when I have done DIY hunts we have gone for around 10 days.

Thanks in advance!

20-Feb-15
About 10 years ago. Is Jon Sund still operating it? We had a good hunt. elk everyday just didn't get an arrow in one. I don't remember if it was 5 days then or longer. Be in shape for some beautiful but rough country.

21-Feb-15
Huntperch, Jon still runs it.

21-Feb-15
I know that area very well.. Never used Jon's services and have chatted with guys that have and have not heard anything negative about him.. As for getting in shape, do so or find another place to hunt.. 5 days can be done with one other day in and one other day out 7 total.. You could always talk to him on what it would cost to add a few days.. He is only taking you in and out one time.. I bet if he can logistically do it he would. He may not be able to answer that till after the draw and he now who's hunting in what camps. I just don't see why he would not want more money with just about the same work.. If your only in fair shape 5 days my be enough.. My 2 cents.... Ed

21-Feb-15
Thanks Teeton. Huntperch I sent you a PM.

22-Feb-15
I've hunted with Jon several times and have never only hunted 5 days. However Jon's camps over the years have really gotten popular so he may be going to the 5 day camps to fit in more hunts. That said if you are flexible he may have a camp that a longer stay could work out for you and him.

22-Feb-15
Jerrynocam

That's one day for the pack in, 5 full days of hunting and one day to pack out. total of 7. Is that what you did or did you have more than 5 full days?

22-Feb-15
I agree with Ed. I have hunted the past 2 years in that area DIY. His camps are good camps. They are on elk for sure. I have talked to Jon a number of times and he did offer me a longer hunt if I wanted it. I just chose to go DIY again.

If you end up booking with him and can find out what camp you will be in shoot me a pm. I will let you know what I know of the area.

Like Ed said get in shape. Its a steep unit and most of the elk like being high by his camps.

22-Feb-15
Yes most were 7 days with the pack in and out, we usually got in camp early enough to hunt that day. We did hunt 10 days once including the in and out but that was probably five years ago now and we did pay him more but I don't remember how much.

• Sitka Gear