Mule Power 04-Apr-15
Z Barebow 04-Apr-15
Mule Power 04-Apr-15
Jason Scott 09-Apr-15
Mule Power 09-Apr-15
WapitiBob 09-Apr-15
Topgun 30-06 09-Apr-15
21-Feb-15
With the rules keeping nonresidents from hunting the wilderness, how would these different siutations fall within those rules. Could you cut across a section of wilderness to get to the other side(outside the wilderness border) while having all your hunting gear, but making no attempt to hunt? How about hiking in/out while dark? Lastly, how about packing out meat. If the shortest distance was through wilderness, could you walk through?

21-Feb-15
NO, not without a licensed guide or resident with the appropriate permit from the G&F! How would an Officer know you're not hunting or that the meat was from a legal area and you just happened to be saving time. I doubt they would want to take the time to investigate the kill site, etc.

21-Feb-15
You are however allowed to go bed watching in the wilderness. When you take those scary looking firearms in to the wilderness is when you become less responsible.

21-Feb-15
30-06, there certainly would be some explaing to be done if questioned by G&F. Not much different than accessing the unit you have a tag for by coming through an adjacent unit. Would that be legal in WY? It is in CO.

21-Feb-15
As long as the person didn't take an animal illegally in a unit where they didn't have a valid tag there shouldn't be a problem. I've hunted coyotes and prairie dogs in a unit out there a number of times when my deer tag wasn't legal during the time period I was there and had no problems. That might be because I've know the GW that covers that area for almost 20 years though. If it's in an area where there are wolves, bears, and cats I doubt the G&F would even have a problem if your firearm was loaded although it might be best to carry it unloaded. Most GWs might even cut a guy some slack from going through a Wilderness area like the OP questioned, but I wouldn't take the chance since GWs see people trying to pull fast ones to circumvent the law on a regular basis.

21-Feb-15

JLS's Link
You might call some of the folks in the link and see what they say. I'd take their work at a higher value than what I read on the internet.

21-Feb-15
stupid autocorrect........bird watching! not bed watching

21-Feb-15
JLS is right, of course ... if you have a serious question, just let them know upfront. Let them say "yes" or "no".

21-Feb-15
I know this has been discussed many times before but... wyoming non-res wilderness law is a joke!! I can get dropped off out in the middle of nowhere in alaska and that is fine, but I can't go a couple states over and hunt elk in a wilderness, just like I have in many other states for years, without a "guide". I think non-res hunters need to get together and just hunt them one year. They can't give everyone a ticket. And maybe if we flooded court with hundreds of hunters maybe a light would come on and something would be done:)

21-Feb-15
Bowhunter,

Or, you could end up like a flash mob where you're the only one that showed up? :^)

21-Feb-15
Yeah that is probably what would happen:)

22-Feb-15
We're going streaking!

22-Feb-15
Bowhunter... a more legitimate argument would be that you can go into the wilderness for other activities such as hiking, camping, rock climbing etc which would indicate that safety is not a factor. Just no hunting. Let us know how that goes.

22-Feb-15
all about the money

22-Feb-15
The fact that you can go in wilderness for other activities is what got me thinking about it. If I draw the tag, I will make a phone call. Thought maybe someone on here already knew. Seems like it would be good info for a NR to have.

22-Feb-15
"The fact that you can go in wilderness for other activities is what got me thinking about it. If I draw the tag, I will make a phone call. Thought maybe someone on here already knew. Seems like it would be good info for a NR to have."

If anyone you call and talk to says what you want to hear, tell them to put it in writing so you can carry it on your person while you're in that wilderness area! I'd bet the phone will go dead.

22-Feb-15
The more I think about this, the more it really is an interesting question. I can't quite picture the scenario where going through part of a wilderness area to get to your hunt area would be easier than finding another access road. However, it probably isn't a black and white answer.

I'm sure if you got checked you would be answering some questions.

22-Feb-15
Game laws don't trump your 2nd amendment rights. Your difficulty will be convincing the Leo that you aren't hunting. I would guess he has better things to do and write a ticket and let a judge sift thru it.

22-Feb-15
It is something that popped in my head while studying maps. A finger of wilderness juts out into the NF and I just wondered if it would be legal to cut acoss or would I have to go around. The more I thought about it, left me wondering about the hike in/out and packing meat out.

22-Feb-15
As suggested earlier, I would call the warden(s) responsible for the area in question. Their opinion is the only one that matters.

22-Feb-15
Jethro, I know a couple spots like that too. Call the warden and the USFS ranger for the area. Best to have both on-board to avoid any problems in the field that could cost you hunting time.

As WYO said, that's the only thing that matters. A wardeon on one side of the road may have a totally different perspective than the one on the other side. I've experienced that personally here in CO with the nebulous gut pile/bear hunting issue.

And +1 on writing down the names, dates, and exactly what they said..

22-Feb-15
The USFS has nothing to do with what we're talking about. It's enforced by the Wyoming G&F GWs under state law. Writing down what someone else said would do no good, as that would just be your word. You need the enforcing authority to put it in writing to have any recourse if something would happen.

22-Feb-15
Topgun,

That is not completely accurate. It is against federal law to violate a state hunting or fishing law on federal land. USFS LEOs can cite you into federal court, or in some states into state court as an alternative, so the local Forest Service LEO is very relevant to the question.

I'm willing to bet this question has been asked before, and the Chief of the G&F has given direction statewide on how to handle this issue.

22-Feb-15
Your "finger" of wilderness was something I saw in probably a different area, but regardless, it's the same scenario. The bull would have had to have died in a specific spot and it would have made crossing a corner of wilderness a better option for packing out.

I never ended up hunting the area in question, but my thought on it was that I wasn't even going to worry about it. I have a gutpile as proof, the kill site would have been under a mile away if I was questioned in wilderness, and I'd be happy to bring the warden back to my gutpile or give him the GPS location of the kill and then ask him to help pack a load of meat out or bare minimum, approach my kill site in Grizz country with me, cutting my chances of being charged in 1/2.

I do not see this as a problem.

22-Feb-15
Idyllwild that's funny. I like the way you think.

If I had a license that was NOT valid in the unit the wilderness was in and I had a kill site that I could take them to that was in a legal unit I'd take my chances. BUT.... if the license was good in the wilderness area I would not cross through there with the unpunched tag and firearm in my possession.

22-Feb-15
If a NR shoots an elk legally and it runs across border into the wilderness, what are his legal options in that scenario?

22-Feb-15
Guides association in bed with out fitters is how laws like these are made.

Same as Alaska and Montana and I am sure many more.

I had friend who was a pioneer in the rafting business in one state who had no credentials but helped write laws that grandfathered many like himself while reducing competition with said laws.

I lived in Alaska for nine years and killed sheep and brown bear but alas my nonresident status makes it to dangerous.

I give game wardens no latitude because they do not like splitting hairs.

22-Feb-15
To me its black and white. Supporters of the law are quick to point out they are not limiting your access just controlling the hunting of state property. A NR is allowed to hunt non big game/trophy game in a wilderness so a question would be is a season open and do you have a license? If possession of a big game tag, firearm/bow, and being in an area where that tag is not valid (wilderness) is the definition of illegally hunting then every R and NR should be charged.... I'm Willing to bet almost every NR and most R will find themselves in a unit their tag isn't valid in with a weapon at some point during the year. And don't scout before the season while packing a weapon....that would be hunting out of season right?

Having said that I'd send an email to them to get it writing and do it regardless if I wanted too..unload the rifle or strap the bow to the pack while in the zone.

22-Feb-15
Jethro,

That last question is a really good one. Here in WA, if an animal runs onto a state game preserve and dies (no hunting allowed on preserves), LEOs will let you go in and retrieve so long as you don't take the weapon with you and you notify them.

However, game retrieval off of game reserves in Montana is a strict no-no. Refuges and National Parks all vary on this as well.

My guess is that you would need to notify them first, which of course could create some real logistical issues in and of itself.

I would email the headshed in Cheyenne and get their take on these hypotheticals, because they are good questions and I'm sure every one of them has been asked before.

22-Feb-15
I'm faced with the same deal in Alaska this coming year. I drew a dall sheep tag there and as long as my brother in law is with me we are legal to sheep hunt. I can hunt the same area during the same dates without a guide for black bear but not dall sheep. Bummer!

I grew up in Wyo and used to hunt big game in wilderness as a greenhorn kid. I know a lot more now about hunting and safety but when I moved from Wyo I would need a guide to hunt big game in those same Wyo wilderness areas! Bummer!

22-Feb-15
Jethro, In my experience with Wyoming GW's, they make their own rules when it comes to grey areas...if I were you I would talk to the GW for the specific area you are interested in crossing wilderness, he is the one that would be "making the call" and that is how a lot of it is done in Wyo. I have talked to many of them and for the most part they are a good group,(they appreciate you asking upfront rather than lawyering them in the field) but if you get a response that hints towards not pushing the boundary's, heed their warning...they don't mess around when you cross them. I hope you get the answer you are looking for!

22-Feb-15
Mainer, what you've described isn't accurate for WY. NR's CAN legally hunt on state land in WY without a guide. Just not in federally-designated wilderness areas without a guide or "resident guide". The tag is valid for that entire unit, State land, BLM, USFS, private and wilderness areas included.

If someone is in an area where they don't have a valid tag with a weapon and hunting gear during open season (wilderness, different unit), they may be cited unless they have cleared it beforehand. Then they get to visit WY (or other western state) in the loveliest part of winter to attend court and plead their case.

The question is over "intent to hunt". That's the key. Just saying so doesn't make it so. LEOs have heard every excuse.

USFS LEOs also have radios and know the game wardens in an area. When I was a Park Ranger, we coordinated with USFS and CO CDOW in the area because my park also encompassed a big chunk of USFS. Hunting was legal on USFS, not legal in the rest of the park. In another large park where I worked, hunting was permitted in some areas, not in others, even though it was a mix of State and USFS.

As far as game retrieval, again, check with the warden for the area beforehand and be damned sure you have a good blood trail, and hopefully a witness. I'm thankful my WY buck died about 50 yards from the carsonite Wilderness Boundary signs.

The issue of a hunter crossing through Rocky Mountain National Park in CO was rectified with a clarification to the law which allowed legal hunters to cross RMNP property to reach NF. That removed the ambiguity.

23-Feb-15
I don't see where I wasn't accurate? I've hunted WY for years. Any tag I may have isn't valid in a wilderness area UNLESS I have the proper guide. If I don't have a guide I can't legally hunt in a wilderness making in my mind my tag invalid if I wanted to hunt alone. I never mentioned state land?...I said hunting state property...meaning animals not land. I've hunted state land numerous times.

I would only retrieve an animal from within a wilderness after making every attempt at notifying a warden. I have met many wardens there over the years and found them to be very helpful. If I wanted to go from point A to point B and the shortest easiest route was through some wilderness I'd do it but like I said..I would unload the rifle and strap the bow/rifle to the pack and maybe even put the ammo/release inside the pack..

23-Feb-15
Mainer, my bad, I thought you were referring to state land.

23-Feb-15
My point was that it's much easier and less hassle to get anything questionable cleared up in advance with the local LE than to try to explain it on the scene.

LEOs hear EVERY possible excuse. Some valid, some not. If you are innocently "traveling" through wilderness in WY with a valid tag for that unit, with a hunting pack, bow, arrows, butchering gear, it's a tough sell to claim you were just birdwatching.

Judges almost always side with the Game and Fish LEOs in the area. We were taught that in our orientation, and were advised to never bring a case in front of them if we didn't have pretty strong evidence. A bow, arrows, pack, camo, knives, etc.. fits that requirement.

I hate the law too. I can do anything I want in WY wilderness for weeks at a time, except hunt. Just passing on advice as someone who used to enforce that stuff, and currently in code enforcement. Take it for what it's worth.

23-Feb-15
Email address not listed for contacting a WY warden, but not done searching for that. I would prefer to ask the questions that way. If I get an answer it will be in writing and will eliminate the he said/she said. In a few days I'll know if I have persue this or figure out where in CO we're going.

23-Feb-15
No problem Jaquomo..I worded it poorly. And I agree with you on not saying, "I am bird watching." I've had a very similar conversation with a warden. He knew I work in LE and may have been willing to give a little extra maybe not. (Who what where and when isn't important) Have a conversation with them and be honest and it will go a LONG way. Having said that it is their law and I have to follow it. But I won't be told just because I have a state issued tag in my pocket I can no longer access my land. And I will not hunt in a wilderness unless I am legal...or a resident in a couple years. :-)

23-Feb-15
JIMS, you might want to check the regs on hunting sheep in Alaska. You mentioned hunting with your brother-in-law. Unless things have changed since I lived there, the requirement is first degree of kindred, that includes mother, father, sister, brother. I guess if your sister went along and she had a valid license it would be no problem, but you might want to look into it.

23-Feb-15
Jethro- Give the Cheyenne office a call and they should be able to tell you the GW for your area in question. (And his phone number). This is what I did as I was researching a particular unit for my application in 2015.

FWIW- I have had nothing but positive experiences when asking WYO GW questions. Keep in mind, the phone number you are given is their HOME #. They work out of their house and very likely the wife or kids can answer the phone. Respect there time.

As an example of how nice the GW was that I talked to. He gave me his cell # and he started telling me where to go, even before I drew the tag. If I draw, I told him I would head out there on a scouting mission. He said stop by with maps and he will circle where to go!

I'll get off my soap box and allow thread to get back on track.

23-Feb-15
its a welfare law just carry a fishing pole !!!! lol

23-Feb-15
8point, I've gone on a mtn goat and another dall sheep hunt with my BIL. A trooper flew in and checked on us on our dall hunt plus I had to check my ram in at their office. Everything was good. I just double-checked the regs and they are the same as they were before.

I don't know if it was mentioned above but any Wyo res can get a guides license and take a Wyo nonres big game hunting in the wilderness. The guide has to be with the nonres while hunting.

23-Feb-15
^^^Well, that's one thing we can certainly agree on.

23-Feb-15
Astonishingly stupid. Dave is totally correct. Last time I hunted WY my friend from Laramie, who qualified as a "resident guide", had no sense of direction and virtually no woodsmanship skills at all.

This is why Mule Power and I joke about picking up a hippie chick in a bar in Laramie and taking her camping for a week to be our "guide".

Here are the requirements for being a "resident guide", from the WY State Statutes:

"Any resident possessing a valid resident big or trophy game animal license may apply for and receive a resident guide license. The resident guide license shall be issued without charge or bond by the commission, any district supervisor or resident game warden upon receipt of an affidavit from the resident stating the names and addresses of the nonresident hunters to be guided, the game to be hunted, the area to be hunted, and that the resident has not received nor will accept directly or indirectly any compensation for his services as a guide."

23-Feb-15
It's the part about no compensation that riles me.

Of course, I'm from WY.

I mean, geez, can't you at least buy a guy a drink? I'd rather be whore than slut.

23-Feb-15
Does anybody have any information on what it takes to "accompany" the nonresident being guided by the resident guide?

I could see it ranging anywhere from the resident guide looking over the nonresident's shoulder at all times, to just having the nonresident's license number on the resident guide's license. Most likely somewhere in between. So, what do you guys consider reasonable as the 'in between'? The resident and nonresident beginning and ending each hunt or day at the same camp?

23-Feb-15
The statute doesn't really define it, so I expect it would be up to the individual USFS Wilderness Ranger. Game Wardens don't go into wilderness areas, generally, unless they are investigating a reported violation.

As far as "reasonable" - once we had a young female USFS Wilderness Ranger come backpacking into our camp right at dark. She measured the distance from our tents to a tiny, foot-wide creek, and made us move our tents about 20 feet. Then she wandered off into the woods. But at least she didn't cite us.

I know with my prospective "resident guide", I'd have had to keep an eye on him all the time to ensure he didn't get lost....

23-Feb-15
John, I'd go as far as buying you a nice bottle of scotch if you accompanied me into the wilderness.

And I'd never refer to you as "whore" or "slut." You're much higher class than that. You'd be an "escort."

24-Feb-15
"Resident escort."

Hmm. I could live with that.

Interesting ... last time I checked, I can only "guide" two hunters per year, meaning that if my buddy wants to bring his two kids out here and use me as a guide, I have to somehow convince my wife to get her "guide" license. And she'd have to buy a tag, too, I guess.

I have talked to camps with non-residents in them, and been told that other outfitted camps would "report" them for not having a guide. Seems the Outfitter in the area knew the law and wanted to use it as a club to knock out his competition in the woods. The camp I spoke with, though, was on the up-and-up with the appropriate number of "guides" per non-resident.

They even had brought along a kid who had never been there to guide for the guys who'd been going to the same spot for decades. The kid knew nothing of the area, wasn't a hunter, nor a horseman. Some "guide".

24-Feb-15
I think if someone was to write a bill, stating all NR need a guide to enter the wilderness, things would change! Fishing, Snowmobiling, skiing...etc..all should have to pass a written & physical test! Residents included!...That will wake them up!

If I can't hunt on our land that we pay taxes on, then I be dammed if someone else should be able to horse back, snowmobile...etc

24-Feb-15
Forget the wind, just hunt.

24-Feb-15
Forget the wind, just hunt.

Yes sirr

27-Feb-15
I contacted WY game warden and asked the questions I was wondering about. I have found out the following: It is legal to walk across wilderness to access nonwilderness area while making no attempt to hunt big game inside wilderness boundary. It is ok to pack meat out through wilderness. NOT ok to go tracking a shot/wounded elk that has gone into the wilderness. In this case will have to contact local GW and allow them to make the call on how to proceed.

27-Feb-15
You did the right thing, and keep the gist of the conversation, the date and name in your wallet while hunting.

I had a similar situation in CO about hunting bears over a gut pile before the law was clarified. I got an answer from CDOW, called again and got a different answer from another person, called the Denver HQ and got yet a different answer. So I decided the only one that mattered was from the local WCO in charge of the area.

27-Feb-15
Thanks for the update, pretty much in line with what I expected them to say.

27-Feb-15
Junior good point ! jethro i have hunted in WY, some spots i need to drive 70 miles to get cell service , so on a warm sept day my elk will spoil or bears will get um by the time i will get out drive call GW.. Then im sure he will isssue a ticket for waste .

27-Feb-15
Thanks for following up with this. Info may come in handy this fall.

27-Feb-15
Good to know, but as said keep the local GW or DF&G number handy and make note of who you talked to...Name Title!

27-Feb-15
ike one would need a sat phone in these areas

27-Feb-15
City, I have the same situation in an area I hunt near RMNP. I'd have to drive an hour to get cell service. For that reason I stay away from the Park boundary just in case. Wish they all fell down in 50 yards, but they don't.

28-Feb-15
"We're going streaking!"

I like that one.... and bring a fishing pole.... no warden is going to stop a neked guy with a loaded pole....

01-Mar-15
Plenty of elk outside the wilderness zone , i stay clear folks think i use a friend to get me into wilderness no such luck ! I do have friends in WY but i would never ask them to give up there elK season to take me into wilderness of WY. ITS a lame law but law it is!!

29-Mar-15
NR's can use wilderness for recreation. The game in the state belong to the state and the Game and Fish regulate how, where, and who can hunt them, just like every other state does. In a court of law the statute will hold up. However I don't think it is right, speaking as a resident. This statute was lobbied by outfitters years ago and the bill passed. I don't think it will change. The Bowsite is a great place to meet new friends and a lot of NR hunters have been invited to hunt with residents. I moved to Wyoming 18 years ago to be able to hunt elk as a resident. I took a 60 percent pay cut to be here and have not looked back.

29-Mar-15
A stupid, dumb law that's in place for the benefit of the outfitters. I moved to Wyoming in 1975 and the law was in effect back then. I have no idea how long before that it was enacted. But all the moaning about it should be challenged in court....It has been, many times. And it's always been upheld. So wipe your eyes and blow your nose and get on with your life.

30-Mar-15
As i predict it will be in the future. It's coming.

30-Mar-15
Dave: "I'm not sure I buy that this law has been challenged in court. The "challenging" lawyers would have to be pretty incompetent to not prevail in this case. First of all, while the state could use the argument that the game in the state is theirs to regulate and this gives them the authority to enforce this law, it does not give them the authority to discriminate. You cannot enforce a separate set of laws that pertain to NR hunters than you do resident hunters. The lands in question are Federal lands owned by the residents of the US. I have no doubt that if a competent organization such as SCI with the right political clout and money to spend got involved, the law would be history pretty quickly."

You're as far off in this discussion as you were in your Idaho PPs comments! The individual states have full jurisdiction over most game within their state, with migratory birds being the only exception, and can do whatever they want to not only control NR numbers and where they can hunt like they do, but they could even shut down all hunting to NRs. Look at the difference in pricing, how PPs are charged and used, etc. and this law is no different. Your first sentence alone shows your lack of knowledge on this because a "well-to-do-guy" did challenge the restriction in Federal Court and the state of Wyoming easily won the case based on existing law!

30-Mar-15
Those outfitters are always on the lookout for Non res in the wilderness and will go out of their way to turn you in- they act like they own the place and do everything they can to protect it.

I hunted with some inlaws last yr in Wyo and ran into one of these A__ H___ last year

30-Mar-15
Top Gun- I would concur with your comments. I am not a lawyer, but the only angle I thought had any merit was the Interstate Commerce Clause. But as long as WYO treats every NR the same, no matter the state of origin, the law will stand from that aspect.

I don't like the law either but it is a states right. (Which I support). Either you can

A- Piss and moan, boycott, etc

B- Learn to live within the law in the great State of Wyoming

I have chosen option B.

30-Mar-15
Personally, I have chosen option C: All of the above.

30-Mar-15
I think its a bad law, but I do think it falls under the State's power. It would bother me less if they would just be honest about it being an indirect subsidy for outfitting. Pretending its due to safety goes against the idea of freedom and individual responsibility that WY has held on to longer than about every other state.

I love WY, but this law is a square peg. On the bright side, WY does allow public access to most State sections unlike Colorado. These blue squares sometimes fall in a fantastic spot and with todays technology its easier to find little access points that have been ignored for years.

30-Mar-15
How about this: Where there's a will there's a way. There is so much good elk and deer hunting in Wyoming that it isn't like they robbed us of the majority of good hunting opportunities. But I agree that doesn't change the fact that the law sucks. It is true.. the state has the right to be a-holes. Period. But if you REALLY want to hunt there do your homework. I bet with less than half the work it takes to put together a solid diy Alaska moose hunt you could find a resident to hunt with. The folks in the Cowboy State are pretty cool. So before you cry a river of tears, if it's that important, take a relaxing drive out there and see what you can find. Or go hunt Wyoming and while you're there stop in town have a beer or whatever and see who you run into. I know camp cooks that don't even hunt but love the high country and a campfire that would accompany you for free in a heartbeat.

Option A gets you nowhere.

30-Mar-15
Whats the fine?

30-Mar-15
"Whats the fine?"

Since this subject seems to come up every 30 minutes or so, this same question was asked before. When I called, best I remember the answer was $350. They may also confiscate your weapon, vehicle, and anything else they consider evidence. You'll then have the added expense of coming back to Wyoming to retrieve anything that was confiscated. Any game or trophy animal that you had in your possession will also be confiscated, and you won't get those back.

Like it or not, it's a state regulation. You may or may not get caught, but if you do, you'll probably regret that decision.

30-Mar-15
"Since this subject seems to come up every 30 minutes or so..."

ROTFL! So true!

I think it's something that most hunters think is ridiculous so it gets extra bitch-factor.

"It would bother me less if they would just be honest about it being an indirect subsidy for outfitting. Pretending its due to safety goes against the idea of freedom and individual responsibility that WY has held on to longer than about every other state."

I agree with Glunt on this one. Just fess up and say "it's the way it is, deal with it." The safety non-sense is a slap in the face to the type of folks who would hunt in the wilderness. If you're going to die a few miles from your truck in the wilderness, I'm more worried about you being able to make the drive from whatever sad place calls you a native son.

31-Mar-15
"Personally, I have chosen option C: All of the above."

LOL. Who taught you how to boycott Ike?

31-Mar-15
Joe Pickett would let me hunt in there! Ha!

This is not even worth arguing about. The only way to change this is if NR hunters start boycotting WY outfitters who guide in the wilderness until the law is changed. Since that isn't going to happen then this law is what it is and we're going ot have to live with it right, wrong, or otherwise.

01-Apr-15
Brotsky I see one other solution. I love reciprocal laws. Screw people from somewhere else and you're screwed when you leave your home turf.

If Wyoming residents weren't allowed to hunt designated wilderness in any other states we could all just sit back and let them do the talking for us.

01-Apr-15
I don't know, MP. If I was a WY resident the last place I'd want to hunt in CO is a wilderness area. Those trailheads get so much traffic that somebody should set up a frozen yogurt and latte concession.

It would be like a single guy from Miami Beach going on vacation to Omaha to pick up chicks.

01-Apr-15
BTW, I live on a great trout stream in CO, short walking distance to rainbows, browns and brooks. But this week I'm camped beside a river in WY, after buying the most expensive annual NR fishing license in the US.

There's a reason for that, and yes, it's worth it.

02-Apr-15
Jaquomo: Amen... and LOL!

02-Apr-15
Jamico.... I was thinking along those lines. If I lived in Wyoming I wouldn't really care what the laws were elsewhere. Maybe in Alaska or Montana. Otherwise I'd be content if they built the Great Wall of China around the state and told me I couldn't leave. lol

02-Apr-15
By the way, the Wall Committee is meeting in Laramie next week. We'll be discussing final preparations.

02-Apr-15
I can understand why you guys would want to put up a wall. This morning there were 17 guys wade fishing the Grey Reef section of the river. On a weekday, all in sight of my camp. Don't know how many were further downstream. All but two vehicles had CO plates. The other two were from MN and SD.

02-Apr-15
Good luck with your line of thinking Dave, you'll certainly need it. After all, it's only been tested many times in court in regards to the discriminatory nature of NR exclusions. US Outfitters was the last to make a run at it under the commerce clause, and their single legal loophole was quickly closed by Congressional action.

At some point, does one start to look in the mirror and realize maybe it's them, and not everybody else?

Jamico,

I used to despise the caravan of "Greenies" coming to Wyoming every weekend when I lived there. Now, I'm a NR infiltrator of similar sorts.

03-Apr-15
Jamico... makes me laugh my a$$ off. :-)

Am I the only one who has been getting bi-weekly texts from TBM? I've never blocked someone on my phone so I don't know how or I would have. I just open them and hit delete.

04-Apr-15
Mule power,, I have to admit I am curious about what has happened to TBM. What does he contact you about? It's stupid but I kind of miss his posts. It was entertainment for me and I kind of miss the circus that he created. I have to think a few others are curious too.

04-Apr-15
I don't miss them at all! And I won't even mention what they say because that's probably his goal. Other than in the beginning one said Bowsite is really lame without me. Like I said I never reply and just hit delete as fast as I can.

I'll gladly give you his cell number if you'd like it though.

04-Apr-15
MP,

I think you should switch phone numbers, and maybe even zip code! I wouldn't wish that predicament on my worst enemy!

04-Apr-15
After the verbal abuse I dished out to that guy he must be pretty desperate for friends to try to stay in touch with me. But it sure is fun hitting the delete button without even looking at the crap without giving him a chance to run his mouth in reply.

We're off subject. Sorry. But... I guess we were talking about things that suck. lol

09-Apr-15
So, is Wy part one of the states with point systems, or demerits for that matter, that could prevent you from getting a license in other states? Whatever that system is. If you try to test the waters and loose wouldn't it cost in other states?

09-Apr-15
You are referring to the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. And the answer to you question is yes... you'd be screwed in any state worth hunting.

There are 44 states that are members. They are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Testing the waters is not usually a good idea when it comes to game law violations.

09-Apr-15
Both your phone and service provider will block a number.

09-Apr-15
"So, is Wy part one of the states with point systems, or demerits for that matter, that could prevent you from getting a license in other states? Whatever that system is. If you try to test the waters and loose wouldn't it cost in other states?"

A violation of the wilderness law itself is only a minor misdemeanor that you would receive a ticket for. I would suspect that it could be made into a major offense that would lead to a person losing their hunting privileges if they caught you with an animal that you couldn't legally take or possess in one though and I wouldn't take the chance to find out!

• Sitka Gear