2ndwindfarm 04-Mar-15
Franzen 05-Mar-15
txhunter58 05-Mar-15
txhunter58 05-Mar-15
WapitiBob 05-Mar-15
IdyllwildArcher 05-Mar-15
Jason Scott 09-Mar-15
25-Feb-15
Just wondering if anyone uses a smart phone gps instead of formal GPS unit on their hunts. If so, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

25-Feb-15
I used mine last year in Missouri. It worked well. Of course, I was in a "civilized" area and not 50 miles from the nearest house, so I'm not sure how well they work in the mountains of the west. I'd stick with a GPS when hunting there.

25-Feb-15
I tried using the map program on satellite image one and it ran the battery down quick. I think short term it will work but long term I would stick with a regular GPS.

25-Feb-15
If you are hunting close to the truck or have spare batteries, the phone gps is great.

I have used it the past couple hunts that I've done and it worked great. If you put you phone in airplane mode and dim the screen down it will last for several days.

25-Feb-15
I use mine all the time elk hunting in various states incl OR, WY, NV.

I use it with the Topo map app from Phil Endicott. Shows location on a topo map or satellite image. I can then compare to larger paper map if I want to get a bigger picture as it is very easy to pinpoint my exact location on the paper map from the Topo map app. Very helpful in heavy trees.

Options for battery life include turning the phone off when not looking at it. I also sometimes carry a backup battery charger (cheap and lightweight). When truck camping, I recharge phone every night. If backpacking, can carry solar charger and recharge off that.

25-Feb-15
Do a search for this topic

26-Feb-15
Gaia for my iphone was great last year, even with no reception worked like a champ

26-Feb-15
break down and buy a real gps and stop screwing around with your phone.

26-Feb-15
Use Trimble outdoors. Download and you can turn yer smartphone on airplane mode to save the battery. Works so well, I don't even use my 650T anymore.

26-Feb-15
Did the search. What have been the experiences with OnXmaps app?

26-Feb-15
There's several good threads you can find on Bowsite on this, using Google.

I've done 1/2 dozen out of state hunting trips, 5-10 days long, using my iPhone and Trimble Outdoors App.

Bring a NewTrent battery charger ($25) and keep the phone on airplane mode when you're not using it and you can get 2 weeks out of it no problem. I also keep one of those big battery packs that will jump your truck/has outlets for plug ins and USB out to charge everything. Very valuable $80 investment.

You have to DL all the maps that you want, including every layer you want, when you have good reception, wifi preferably, but 3/4G is fast enough.

26-Feb-15
Yana Robertson, of OnXMaps, did a presentation at the last United Bowhunters of Missouri Festival. I was very, very impressed with the software and the company's dedication to development.

Darren

26-Feb-15
I have a GPS and it is my navigation instrument. That being said the sat view on an iPhone is invaluable. I never leave home without each.

27-Feb-15
That's all I've used for the last four or five seasons. Backcountry Navigator, only downfall I've had is losing my way points when i upgrade phones, I think they may all still be there on the memory chip that I switch from phone to phone but I can't figure out h how to coax them back out. Only time I ever had problems with a signal was deer hunting this past season in a snow storm with a low cloud deck. Never had a problem in the mountains just out on the plains during that snow storm.

01-Mar-15
The Trimble GPSHUNT app is great. Download the areas from wifi at home, turn it on airplane mode in the mountains and hung all day. Have used it hunting, all summer and snowmobiling. You can switch from topi maps or bing aerial maps. I have used a gas for years and taught people how to use a gps. The Trimble app is awesome.

02-Mar-15
Most elk hunting locations aren't good cell service locations and even if you go to airplane mode you'll still blow through the battery really fast with the gps on. A real gps works so much better and you can save your cell for what its really for, emergencies and calling momma.

02-Mar-15
No offense, but I disagree Wildcountry. I've done multiple back country trips where the charge has lasted me 3 days. Have close in mind your terrain, direction, and what you want to find out when you take it off of airplane mode, and you wont have to turn it on and off repeatedly.

A NewTrent battery pack will charge the phone from ~25% about 5 times and weighs about the same as another phone, giving you more life than your GPS with backup batteries.

I'll agree with you that a touchscreen GPS is the proper substitute. But I'd rather spend the $600 on other non-essentials as I can do a hunt without a GPS.

My backup cheapy GPS never gets turned on. On bivy trips, it doesn't make the weight cut. I haven't used it in over 2 yrs and some 10ish hunting trips - about the same time I discovered Trimble.

03-Mar-15
My gps is on most of the day, a phone would be a poor choice. Also, with no pc front end for any phone app, they simply lack the basic features I need.

04-Mar-15
I have done side by side tests. My smart phone battery (in airplane mode) last just as long as my high dollar garmin gps. You do not need cell service if you know how to plan ahead with the right app to view maps. If you get a good waterproof shock proof case the smart phone can be just as durable/dependable as any REAL gps. It is all a matter of personal preference, don't let anyone tell it won't work or isn't as good as a REAL gps. A smart phone gps has all the basic features of a real gps plus a lot more. I can do anything with my phone I can my high dollor garmin gps.

04-Mar-15
I use an app called GPS Tracks. I think it was $3.99. Google it and check it out. Amazing application for the iphone. Use it all the time for scouting,hunting and just in general checking out my surroundings.

04-Mar-15
WapitiBob,

What do you mean by "no pc front end"?

I have the GPS hunt website open on my computer where I can see GE aerials, contour maps, trails maps, etc. I can place all of my waypoint info in at my computer and then it automatically syncs with my phone. The same is true with info that I enter in on my phone or tablet for that matter, they both sync back with my account and all of the information is stored in the cloud on my account.

I also bought the new Samsung S5 Active which is fully water proof just like a GPS would be, so there is no additional weight of a case or anything.

If you are going on a 10 day hiking trip where weight is a major factor, then I can see the need for a secondary GPS, but for anything 5 days and under you won't need anything more than your phone and a spare battery.

04-Mar-15
I think you phone guys are nuts. Maybe there will be a day but isn't here yet. I can see the idea of your phone being an emergency backup GPS but your phone should stay off unless you need it when in the wilderness. It's good for too many things in a pinch to be using it for daily mundane purposes.

JMHO

04-Mar-15
Straight, the times are here. Trimble outdoors on a phone works very well. And it works the same as a regular GPS so, coverage is good. I don't even take my GPS in the field anymore, one less thing to carry.

04-Mar-15
Phones are great for many things I never thought possible. I can ask Siri to find something and (unlike my wife) she doesn't ask "What you you need THAT for?"

I just dl'd a topo app from Endecott which I really like. If my phone can someday replace my Garmin you can bet I won't miss it.

04-Mar-15
5 points - the Trimble website says that no cell towers are needed. Without cell tower connectivity does the Trimble aoo still show your location by using GPS satellites or do you just get to use a downloaded map?

Thanks- Dwayne

04-Mar-15
Dwayne,

You save a previously downloaded map to your phone and then put it in airplane mode and no need for cell coverage. Your phone works off the same Satellites as the single use GPS. The map could be as large as the entire state if your card is big enough to hold the info.

I usually just down load the unit I'm hunting to my phone for each trip and store the rest on my computer until I need them again in the future.

04-Mar-15
Huntmaster, who's pc app are you using?

Closest I've seen to what I need is Terrain Navigator Pro at $400 and $125 ea addl state.

04-Mar-15
I tried using my phone but every time I enabled the GPS on it, a black helicopter would show up about a 1/2 hour later and I was worried it was scaring the elk away.

04-Mar-15
"I think you phone guys are nuts."

Nuts?

Thinking you need a GPS on a hunt is nuts.

People have been doing back country hunting without a phone or GPS for hundreds of thousands of years.

I bet everyone on this thread has been in the woods before GPSs were even commercially available.

I've done 14 day 100+ mile backpacking trips without phone or GPS. My first 10 day solo elk hunt I had neither phone nor GPS. I used a paper map and a compass.

I still bring a paper map and a compass on every hunt. Trusting your life to any electronic device is silly, just as thinking that you need one or that you need a designated GPS, is also silly.

But when I make use of this fantastic convenience that puts your location on a map for you, or to mark where my meat cache is, my phone does it just as well as a GPS.

This entire conversation is silly. In the lower 48, if the SHTF, all you have to do is go downhill and you run in to civilization in about a day's walk or less.

Lower 48 hunters, in general, cautious by nature, make so much more of an issue out of back country excursions than is warranted. Two of everything, redundant gear, state-of-the-art... These are not expeditions to the South Pole.

04-Mar-15
WB,

Here's what I'm using. www.gpshuntfish.com It's by Trimble.

You can do a monthly/yearly subscription which lets you download as many maps as you want or just buy the maps and download them. I suppose if you really wanted, you could subscribed for one month $2.99 and download all that you would ever need... I just do the monthly subscription and figure it's not much different than buying a new map every year.

04-Mar-15
Idyll's last post nails it.

04-Mar-15
Maybe the best phone gps feature I have found is that the phone gives you your location much faster than a gps can lock on to satellites. At least that's how my slow gps works. What is probably in the other gps phone threads is which phone app is the best.

04-Mar-15
Listen, you shouldn't "need" cell phone's or GPS devices BUT they can be a helpful tool. I use my cell phone GPS when I am hunting whitetails for a couple of reasons... I am more stealthy with them and can log scouting trips better with them.

Example... lets just say yesterday I hung a new climber in a tree/area that I rarely hunt. The next morning I could 1) wonder around in the woods with my flash light on looking for it, or 2) I could walk directly to the spot by using my phone GPS. In doing so, I don't have to turn my light on and I make a much more direct path to the climber.

I also use my while scouting to mark and map deer sign.

Like any new tool, GPS phone devices are helpful BUT they should not be relied upon. If you aren't using them to some degree, you are loosing out.

04-Mar-15
I got an Iphone a little while back and purchased the OnX Maps for $30. So far it has worked very well without any service but you have to download the maps before you go. A few weeks back I did a winter camping/hunting trip for a few days in a new area and it worked very well. I did bring a very small power bank just in case but didn't have to use it.

When I had an Android I used Backcounty Navigator. Hands down best GPS app out there. It does not require you to cache the maps before hand and you can use it on airplane mode which really helps with the phones battery life. It also allows you to save waypoints and shows a red (or whatever color you chose) line where you have walked. I liked that for shed hunting so I wasn't walking the same areas over and over.

I'm very tempted to go back to Android just for the Backcountry app.

04-Mar-15
Hunt, Trimble lacks the ability to add 3rd party data that I need.

04-Mar-15
No worries, enjoying the banter. Just what I was looking for.

04-Mar-15
Idyll...

Stop disturbing our imaginary mystique, please.

;-)

04-Mar-15
WB,

What 3rd party info are you adding to your GPS?

04-Mar-15
"Listen, you shouldn't "need" cell phone's or GPS devices BUT they can be a helpful tool."

I agree with you 100%. They're so useful, in fact, that I can never see myself going into the woods without one. Operative word being "one." For your average back country hunt, I just don't see how a separate $600 device with its own batteries is not redundant weight when the phone serves the purpose.

I need a GPS to store way-points and show me where I am on a map. My phone does that.

I've seen guys that carry a designated beacon device so that their families can see exactly where they're at at all times. Couple this with a camera, phone, and GPS and you have two cameras, two GPS devices, and two different ways to phone home, all 4 of which have their own battery needs and upfront costs. Incredible!

(Not saying you shouldn't bring a separate camera, I'm just pointing out the redundancy for irony's sake.)

No wonder I hear about guys with 80-90 lb back packs! All the comforts of home, X2.

I say buy less stuff and go on more hunts. More comfortable hunts, that is.

04-Mar-15
I remember hunting before cell phones and GPS too. It was great my wife never knew where I was for weeks at a time! Sometimes I didn't know where I was either for a while...

04-Mar-15
Road closure maps, FS visitor maps, shape files. Depending on hunt location I may only use that stuff on my pc but there are times where a geo PDF map is the best map for that hunt location.

I can currently get all my different data types into my gps by converting it, I would prefer to do it from a single pc program. Neither Trimble nor BCN will import a geo referenced scan that has been converted to a kml.

04-Mar-15
Never thought I would be a fan of using a phone for navigation but... Last year my nephew grabbed me as soon as I came into the camp to help him track a doe he had shot. we found last blood and then started walking quadrants larger and larger to try and find her when it occurred to me that I had never been in these woods and didn't have any kind of navigational device. Neither did he.

I found my way back to last blood and while standing there I whipped out my phone and downloaded the Antler Insanity app. and a compass app.. Had never used either one. I marked the last blood spot as a stand location on the app.Walked off a bit then hit the "go to" just to check that the thing worked and it was dead on. I continued on with the tracking job and found my way directly back to the last blood spot when done and walked out.

I use the app all the time now in lieu of my gps to mark stand locations and other things quickly. Its more accurate than my gps to the foot. I use the two of them in combination to create routes to stands, etc.. Have a backup battery charging pack I bought at radio shack for $15.00 bucks and all is good.

Plus I carry an old fashioned compass...I think I still remember how to use it??

04-Mar-15
"I remember hunting before cell phones and GPS too. It was great my wife never knew where I was for weeks at a time! Sometimes I didn't know where I was either for a while..."

Thats funny right there. But, I hope folks can always find a place to go adventure with no easy contact to the rest of the world. It may not be smart or prudent, but there is a calm and satisfaction in those situations that is hard to duplicate anywhere else. Leaving the phone turned off or in the tent is a taste, but not like the real thing.

04-Mar-15
Bob, You can put all those maps on a phone as long as there a PDF. Sure you won't be able to see where your at on it.

I run a droid razor maxx. I dont even bring my gps with anymore. I get about 4 days out of a battery on airplane mode. I have zero signal as well so no need to call or text because I can't. My phone is my camera, alarm clock, GPS/map and my music if I want to listen to some. I have a portable battery from Verizon that I can get a little over a full charge out of. Plus I have my goal zero 10 battery pack with solar charger that keeps me charged up.

With Trimble you dont even need to download. Just open the map to the area your hunting while you have signal. Then put phone on airplane mode.

04-Mar-15
Those apps suck! I have tried to use the onXmaps on my phone and as soon as I'm out of cell range or not in my network they don't work.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself the Garmin etrex 30 or something more expensive and load the onXmaps.

The Colorado Parks and Wildlife uses that and if you are trespassing according to onXmaps you get a ticket. So use what the pros use.

04-Mar-15
I always have a compass and map so really am not worried about getting lost. What I would like to have is public/private boundaries. Ownership would be a definite plus.

From what I am reading above it appears the Trimble app give gps data in airplane mode but the onXmaps app does not. Is that correct?

04-Mar-15
They all get converted to kml or jnx for my gps. There's no conversion to a phone format for interactive use thru a phone gps app except avenza and geo PDFs .

04-Mar-15
Dwayne, airplane mode turns off the GPS. You have to turn airplane mode off to get the GPS to sync again. It takes 5-10 seconds.

Iphones go into and off of airplane mode very quickly with the flip up from bottom feature. Still, if I'm in an area where I'm going to be checking the GPS frequently, I just leave airplane mode off for that time, which is usually short and will drain your battery 1% every few minutes.

Even forgetting to turn airplane mode back on for a while, I've never drained more than 50% of my battery in a day.

I'd encourage everyone to check out the NewTrent batteries. They're basically just for charging things like phones, weight about the same as a phone, cost about $25, and will charge your phone several times, your camera several times, etc.

04-Mar-15
My cousin uses Gps traxs app. He showed me his hunts. Pretty neat. Haven't tried it yet, maybe this year

05-Mar-15
Generally I don't carry a phone or a true mapping gps when I hunt out west. Since it is such a convenience, I started carrying one of those Backtracks. Hit this one out of the park I guess. I am a little afraid of grizzly bears though, so I guess I struck out there. ;^)

05-Mar-15
So now I am confused. If I have an Iphone 5c and download Trimble outdoors, can I operate as a GPS in airplane mode or not? If not, I can't see making the switch due to battery consumption.

And as far as downloading maps, I don't even use that function on my GPS. My brain is not good at looking at maps that small. I primarily use it to get me back to the truck, find a down elk to pack out or find my brother using our paired GPSs.

And I am definitely onboard with ALWAYS having a real compass and map in your pack. I certainly don't trust anything totally electronic.

05-Mar-15
Backtracks sounds interesting, but not sure I would trust my life to a bushnell product.

05-Mar-15
Tx, in your situation the rhino is probably still your best bet.

05-Mar-15
Correct.

You can scroll in and out with the map and change definitions to look at more and look at less.

The Trimble app also puts a little blue arrow which shows you which direction you're facing. But it's off a few degrees.

09-Mar-15
Yes, don't even need regular gps anymore. Power off the phone when not using it. Will last a week if you only power on for 30 minutes a day. You shouldn't need a gps running the whole time you are walking. Get a bearing and use topography, compass and map. Power on only when needed which should usually be only once or twice for each navigation to or fro. But I do have a 10,000 ma/h battery bank just in case which fully charges an iphone 2.5 times, but haven't really needed it. Always have compass and map.

• Sitka Gear