Junior 27-Feb-15
'Ike' 27-Feb-15
SteveB 27-Feb-15
cnelk 27-Feb-15
Flatlander 27-Feb-15
ToddT 27-Feb-15
patdel 27-Feb-15
26-Feb-15
thanks to wapiti Bob will not be hunting ELK in Wyoming this year. He has made get a tag a lot tougher.Because he thinks he needs to share info.

26-Feb-15
Ruffcat,, I hope ur only joking....

26-Feb-15
If you are serious, and I hope you aren't, this isn't the place to bring this up.

26-Feb-15
Lol...Poof!

26-Feb-15
Yeah! Lets stake him to the cross! How dare he help fellow hunters out!

26-Feb-15
Bob has helped a lot of people.

The writing was on the wall for the 2nd choice general to not be a 100% draw this year. It is nobody's fault but your own if you applied for it and expected a guaranteed tag.

I, for one, am very appreciative of the info Bob provides.

26-Feb-15
Wow!

26-Feb-15
I will thank him for all the helpful information he shares, I really appreciate it. Not his fault you didn't get a tag you wanted.

26-Feb-15
I'd like to thank WapitiBob too. I'm mean it sincerely though.

26-Feb-15
Bowsite exists because bowhunters share information with other bowhunters. YOU are the one that decided to play the system again this year. The reason you aren't hunting Wyoming this year was your choice. That's on you and you alone.

26-Feb-15

26-Feb-15
Nowiser +1. OP is way out of line.

26-Feb-15
I'm mad at Bob too, He didn't tell me how to draw(or I didn't read it) and my party with one point didn't get drawn!WAAAA!

26-Feb-15
WB, Thanks for all your knowledge and willingness to share. Many of us appreciate your understanding of the draw systems and would never learn it on our own.

Lets hope ruffcat is joking???????

26-Feb-15
ruffcat, you sound like a Minnesota walleye fisherman. Most of them don't believe in helping others either!

26-Feb-15
As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished." Bob helps more people with their tag applications than anyone I know. Thanks for all the help you provide, Bob.

26-Feb-15

Don K's embedded Photo
Don K's embedded Photo

26-Feb-15
RuffCat is a friend of the former ElkMan, err TheElkman, now on permanent vacation from Bowsite. ElkMan is one of two Bowsiters who are unhappy that I explain the WY draw process. He at least pm's me himself. I give him credit for that. It's also possible/likely that RuffCat is ElkMan, at which point, if confirmed, he'll be gone too.

What ElkMan/RuffCat fail to understand, is that the 2015 2nd choice odds were impacted by a big jump in 1st choice apps, nearly 300. That's why the 2nd choice odds tanked, not because of an influx to the 2nd choice pool.

I've been waiting for an F word laced pm over on Archery Talk, now that he's banned from this forum. But, since I delete his pm's without reading them, and have him on my ignore list, it won't have the intended outcome. Also, knowing Terry Martin for about 40 years now, an F word laced PM may not be the smartest move.

On AT, where he had his latest fit, I responded with the following comment. If any of you would like to discuss it, I would be more than happy to do so.

"..... Personally, I prefer to help people draw tags and will tell them how the different states draws work or what their odds might be so they can enjoy the Elk hunting out West that many seem to take for granted. There are those few, such as yourself, that would prefer to see someone butch their apps, forget to apply, or otherwise not be in a draw, so you can have a seemingly better chance at a tag. I'm not in that camp. Having hunted for more than 4 decades and killed dozens of bulls, I'll gladly be the brunt of your criticism if it means a dad, son, or daughter, gets to go Elk hunting one time in their life."

Thanks for the support guys, it's VERY much appreciated. Including this thread, there are only 3 people that have ever expressed displeasure over my draw process comments.

26-Feb-15
Sure wish I liver near WapitiBob, that's for sure.

Kind of guy you would want to take out for a steak dinner and beer just to say thank you.

Geez, on a public forum, we get rid of one and another pops up.

26-Feb-15
What a douchebag! WB is a good friend and as good as it gets with helping others get things figured out!

26-Feb-15
Classy post Bob. Sorry that some people are just flat out jerks.

26-Feb-15
Classy post WB. . .

I read the thread, and thought "Crap, this is what turns good posters off Bowsite."

Thankfully, it appears that isn't so in WB's case, and we can continue to benefit from his helpful posts

Thanks WapitiBob!

Bake

26-Feb-15
Bowsite is for helping good people. With time we can always tell the good guys (and most are). Give often, whatever you can, with out expectation and rewards come in MANY ways! Good luck all!! C

26-Feb-15
I thank Bob often....and I can't thank him enough. Not just for states draw info, but GE and ArcGis info. Super helpful guy.

26-Feb-15
You da man Bob!

Thanks for being there....

26-Feb-15
Thank you WapitiBob! And I'm not even in the draw!

26-Feb-15
Bob, I don't know you but I read your posts often. Thanks for helping out.

26-Feb-15
Bob, Ruffcat has the same, write while drunk, and edit when sober mentality, as the ole ELKMAN!

26-Feb-15
Put me on the list of those who have benefitted from information Bob has posted. Thank you.

PM sent.

26-Feb-15
I will hop on the mutual admiration bandwagon. WB embodies the reason why Bowsite is the best place for bowhunters. PERIOD. Whether it be draw info, cyber scouting, you name it.

And he just doesn't stop at Bowsite. I visit Big Fin's site and he is there also. Just as helpful as here.

ruffcat- What have you contributed to Bowsite? Bowhunting? Society? If you want to p!ss and moan, there is a site for large mule deer where folks like to cry and complain.

I will give you no more time. I have already wasted too much on you.

26-Feb-15
Bob has/always will be, a great asset to Bowsite.

26-Feb-15
It doesn't matter anymore, but my only complaint with Bob is that I wish he would have explained, just once, why the special general was a guaranteed second choice draw when the report clearly showed that it was not the case :)

26-Feb-15
Bob, I've always appreciated the correct information you've provided. It's one thing to talk about and bring to the surface particular units, correcting incorrect information is a totally different matter.

I thought ruffcat maybe TBM, the grammar in the 3 sentences sure look suspicious!

DJ

26-Feb-15
Bob, thanx again for all the education you've given to me and others, free of charge, without expecting anything in return.

You've increased the quality of my hunts for the rest of my life and I owe you an incredible debt of gratitude for the public and private education/help.

26-Feb-15
NoWiser, I explained it several times here. Had you pm'd me I would have explained it without hesitation.

26-Feb-15
I would think more blame would be on Hunting fool and eastmans

26-Feb-15
I would in no way hold Bob responsible if i had went that route & not drawn but with last year's data & the current interest I tried to warn yall it wasn't a sure thing if even possible. It will soon b impossible I figure.

26-Feb-15
W.Bob....pretty sure NoWiser was yankin yer chain...lol!

26-Feb-15
This shocks me, I had no idea 1 single person could stop an entire state elk hunts????

There is no reason to blame yourself for not drawing a tag correct?

The rules and regulations are equal for all people are they not?

You did not get drawn for a hunt so you are blaming Bob? from my end of the keyboard it looks as if you acting like a spoiled SELFISH child who has not gotten their way? Or perhaps a flaming liberal who feels they are entitled to everything????

Its Nick Muche fault Morgan and I did not get drawn a bear tag for POW.

26-Feb-15
Some people just aren't happy with the results when applying for tags. WB has always been a wealth of knowledge for folks applying.

If you don't want to listen to WB then read the regs and figure it out yourself!

26-Feb-15
Generous people thrive...selfish do not. Keep it up Wapitibob.

26-Feb-15
Sincere thanks here Bob. I think I have a pretty good understanding of all the states draw systems and I really appreciate someone who knows more than I do!

26-Feb-15
In ruffcats defense not drawing a tag is like getting kicked in the groin !! I swear it ruins my day bad mood for sure !!!

26-Feb-15
If Wapiti Bob had an effect on the draw then I am guilty too. He educated me years ago and for that Bob you know I am forever grateful. What you do is what makes our little world here go 'round. As the RMEF says "Pass It On". That is the way I operate too and since then I have shared the ways of Wyoming apps with many people.

BUT... like you I also warned them that things were changing. That this year there were no guarantees as in the past. So Ruff if you had paid closer attention to Bob's words of wisdom maybe you would have taken his advice if you wanted a guarantee and entered the license you wanted as your first choice.

You have nobody but yourself to blame. I bet that hurts. But posting this thread is only pouring salt in the wound because you have now been put in your place.

Huh... I didn't realize Elkman had been given a dishonorable discharge. But it's no surprise.

Good luck Bob.. I hope your generosity finds it's way back to you in the mountains this fall my friend.

I'll add that while this thread sure started off as a negative one... the good folks here have turned that right around. A good lesson in how NOT to act! Proud to call you guys my friends.

26-Feb-15
In ruffcats defense, uh............, never mind

26-Feb-15
Appreciate the great information WBob. It's why I come to this site.

Bow

26-Feb-15
Yes, WapitiBob has been incredibly generous with knowledge.

I didn't realize that Elkman got ixnayed either. No big loss for Bowsite, IMO.

As to ruffcat, I guess if he didn't want to gamble he shouldn't have rolled the dice.

26-Feb-15
Bob is an asset to this site and should be commended. Those who are critical of him for helping others are half of that - or more specifically the first 3/5ths.

27-Feb-15
Jaquomo ruins plains mule deer hunting.

WapitiBob ruins the Wyoming elk draw.

I wanna join this dastardly club!

Attention world of hunters: Arizona unit 9 has trophy elk and the Henry Mountains in Utah have trophy mule deer!

Hell yeah! Who hates me?

27-Feb-15
Apparently I ruined a 300 mile long river with a recent article. Noise makers is all they are...

27-Feb-15
Bob I get the same crap from the same guys. thanks for helping me from time to time.

27-Feb-15
WapitiBob hasn't helped 'me' yet....but that's because I have yet to start applying for tags, and planning my elk hunt ;-)

As and when, I'll be sure to thank him for his generous assistance as any right-minded individual would and should, with good grace and manners.

99.99% of fellow Bowsiters are Grade A Class 1 nice folks...but there's always someone who has to prove otherwise

Good luck and good hunting!!

27-Feb-15
Don't worry Bob... I ruined Unit 7 years ago! Still get hate mail (PMs) over it...

27-Feb-15
then there is Bob's ability with his computer program skills to locate and kill elk from his lap top. Not fair!

27-Feb-15
Wow Bob, you should be pretty proud. For the fact that you could single handedly manipulate the system of an entire state to the point of preventing a few hunters of getting a tag. That seems like a huge order to fill.

By the way, I believe you helped me out with Arizona - the whole 365 day hunting license situation not being what I thought.

Anyway, I am certain you can see from the posts, but your help is always appreciated. I agree that it is tough to have the naysayers when you are just trying to help others, but you just have to remember, the world even nailed Jesus to the cross.

27-Feb-15
Ike - I think you mighta ruined Manscaping.

And Lou...My wife is perpetually concerned about his health. She keeps wanting to double check his x-ray.

27-Feb-15
I've never contacted Bob, but his posts are always helpful~ thanks Bob

27-Feb-15
i didnt draw WY I blame OBAMA!!!

27-Feb-15
I have NO idea what's even being discussed here because it's so ridiculous.

Bob I hear you also through the 2012 election.

27-Feb-15
Rick, by "ruined," you of course mean "revolutionized..."

27-Feb-15
I'm sure he feels like a ruffcat now...verbally ruffed up

27-Feb-15
"Ike - I think you mighta ruined Manscaping."

I'm sure that was Matt...

Bob, Dan, Jaq and several others are assets that we are truly lucky to have...If Draw Odds are really affected by anything it's done by Eastman's, Huntn' Fool and a few others...

No 'one' person can do that...

You notice Ruffcat has mysteriously disappeared after the 'hit & run'...Poof!

27-Feb-15
Bob, glad you're not letting a jerk derail you. Thanks for helping Bowsiters out!

27-Feb-15
@ ruffcat [because I know youre reading this thread]

Some facts for you

I bought my first WY pref Point last year. I applied for the first time this year. I drew my tag. I dont know WapitiBob. I didnt ask for his help. He seems like a stand up guy, but he didnt help me draw anymore than he hindered you. I help a ton of people in Colorado, same way he helps people in WY.

Maybe you should send your frustration my way for taking your tag.

Sounds like just another example of self-righteous perceived entitlement.

27-Feb-15
I have never delt with BOB, but many others here have been more than happy to help me with application processes in several states. These actions restore my faith in mankind several times over. What the heck is so bad about helping someone, IMO it defines the word Sportsman!

27-Feb-15
The draw stats are already out. If it was Bob alone who played havoc with the Wyoming draw, he did a heck of a job. It appears that an abundance of high point holders came out of the woodwork for this years drawing.

The hunt in particular that I applied for, showed the success rate for drawing for top point holders slowly rising until last year. Last year it was just under 10 percent for max point holders, this year it dropped to just under five percent. Several other hunts that I looked at where last year had 100 percent for top point holders, dropped to around 50 percent for the same point pool. It seems that a lot of guys were/are trying to get out of the points race. I am one of those, but I have been applying for actual units since before the points system came into play. But in all fairness, I have been applying for units with very low drawing odds. There was one exception that sticks out in my mind. I had around four points and applied in the special draw for unit 118, the year before, the special in the max pool was, I believe, 100 percent. The year I applied for that tag, draw success dropped to about 33 percent - 1 tag was drawn for the three max point holders that applied for it. Unfortunately I have never drawn a single elk tag in Wyoming. And after 10 points I want to be extremely careful how I use them.

There were a few with, I believe, eight points that applied for general tags. Though I would stop short of calling that a waste, it wasn't the wisest use of those points. But I guess if you have an opportunity, having max points will definitely assure a general tag.

Time to replan for next year, if Bob is willing, I may hit him up for advice.

27-Feb-15
Toddt. Thanks for the enlightenment. Wow. No wonder I blanked. I guess on the bright side it makes our points more valuable.

Bob, keep on keeping on.

• Sitka Gear