gulfcoast 02-Mar-15
Woodsman416 02-Mar-15
Adventurewriter 02-Mar-15
orionsbrother 02-Mar-15
Inshart 02-Mar-15
28-Feb-15

woody's embedded Photo
woody's embedded Photo
Worked on this the last couple of evenings. Never had a chance to hunt elk, but my dream is to some day chase them with a trad bow before I'm too old!

28-Feb-15

woody's embedded Photo
woody's embedded Photo
Worked on this the last couple of evenings. Never had a chance to hunt elk, but my dream is to some day chase them with a trad bow before I'm too old!

28-Feb-15
Original is in colored pencil but the tonal setting on my camera phone made for nice contrast

28-Feb-15
Very cool!

28-Feb-15
Wow - impressive!

28-Feb-15

1cam's embedded Photo
1cam's embedded Photo
Very nice Woody that is a great skill you possess. I hope you don't mind if I add a drawing one of our retired drafters did at work over a 20 year career for a power utility. Story is he worked on it during breaks at work. I do not recall him being a hunter but he was into drafting transmission lines for our crews to build that ran cross country. I had a different drafter make me a copy to hang in my basement to remember this guy. The photo I took does not do it justice. You can see a transmission structure on the right.

28-Feb-15
That is fantastic! I hope one day to head out West and hunt them. I always enjoy seeing other folks' artwork. I don't have any formal training, just always enjoyed drawing and messin with pencils. I'm the kind of person that has to say busy, fletching arrows, sharpening knives, drawing...keeps me out of trouble between hunting seasons!

28-Feb-15
Woody, you said you worked on that bull the "last couple evenings" what was your total time input to produce that masterpiece? You should do those crazy sketches at the fairgrounds for kids if you are that fast ;)

28-Feb-15
Probably about 4-5 hours. Might be tough getting a kiddie to sit still long enough for that!:) portraits, landscapes and abstract type stuff are my downfall.

28-Feb-15
That seems really fast to me love the antler shadow behind the ear. Paper size?

28-Feb-15
The sheet I posted is 22 x 34

28-Feb-15
11x14" 400 wt art paper. I've drawn some bigger but colored pencils or graphite ones take forever on larger surfaces

28-Feb-15
Thats super, woody. Excelent job!

I myself make chunk of my living as a wildlife artist but mostly with murals and large painting, not so much black and white. Your sketch makes me really miss what is possible with just a pencil and paper.

Do you have any more you could show?

Thanks for posting! ls

01-Mar-15
Very realistic looking.

Nice for sure.

Good luck, Robb

01-Mar-15

woody's embedded Photo
woody's embedded Photo
Here is a colored pencil musk ox

01-Mar-15
Woody very nice ! how much if i send u a trophy pic and turn it into art !!

01-Mar-15

woody's embedded Photo
woody's embedded Photo
Cityhuhter-I've done a couple like that for some guys. It would just depend on how involved it is. Here is a buck a friend killed in Iowa that he wanted me to bring back to life for him. Colored pencil. Only had a small emailed pic to work with but tried to capture antler details that made his buck unique. It was on 9x11 art paper, once framed and matted it was something like 16x20. Nice size for the wall.

01-Mar-15
nice work i bet u could make a side gig out of this talent .

01-Mar-15
Damn Woody.. for a gy who has never hunted elk you have a very good idea of what they look like. Tat's awesome. Tat muskox is really really nice too.

I'm with city.... you should take your talent and use it to pay for your elk hunt!

01-Mar-15
Nice work! That's an awesome bull drawing! When I wAs younger and had lots of time I did a lot of wildlife art as well. Really enjoyed it but now my time is prioritized differently. I'll see if I can find some of my old paintings to post for the thread if you don't mind.

01-Mar-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
I also did some pencil but mainly water colors. Sometimes these types of threads are a breath or fresh air to the site.

01-Mar-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Another...

01-Mar-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
And lastly one of my favs I did.. Need to frame it still :-/

01-Mar-15
Very nice! I enjoy sitting down in the evenings and working on this stuff. Will be glad when weather breaks and turkey season gets here! Thanks fellas

02-Mar-15

gulfcoast's embedded Photo
Took a while to find the pic. Keeping in the same theme of elk artwork. Did this pair of wyoming bulls for the customer from two he took in the late 60s. 20x30 acrylic on heavy paper. Thanks for sharing.

02-Mar-15

Close-up.

02-Mar-15
Gulfcoast, WOW! I'm speechless!

02-Mar-15

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Awesome work boys!!!

Here is a bronze I did...called "Rut Strut" and based on a personal experince...

02-Mar-15
You guys have some amazing talent.

02-Mar-15
Woody - if I were you I'd get with City and put your talent to good use and at the same time see if City would spend some time in the elk woods with you .. just saying sometimes trading talent goes further than $$.

• Sitka Gear