WapitiBob 03-Mar-15
midwest 03-Mar-15
chasin bulges 2 03-Mar-15
HuntEasy 03-Mar-15
Norseman 03-Mar-15
Charlie Rehor 03-Mar-15
WapitiBob 03-Mar-15
02-Mar-15
Sorry for having to ask. Not as on top of tracking these things these days. Raising my 4 and 5 year old daughters takes more time than one thinks.

my question is, does anyone know what the archery elk tag allotment will be this year. it looks like they cut back last year. no bonus pt tags awarded for the San Juan last year. Will it be the same trend this year?

Thanks

02-Mar-15
Tag numbers wont be finalized until after the draw, so it's anyone's guess at this point.

With that uncertainty, I'm guessing it will take between 16-18 NR points to draw that hunt.

By the way, you've killed some great elk. Best of luck in the draws.

Bill

02-Mar-15
Makes me wonder, if they cut more tags from the NR pool, could you apply for a tag now that wont exist later?

02-Mar-15
Yes, that is correct YZF. That is always a gamble in low permit areas. Just as last year 4 people with 17 points gambled that they would draw the "normally issued" bonus permit. But....what would have been 25% odds for that tag, ended up being a free-for-all between 519 people fighting for 1 tag. Of course, the more points you had, the better your odds. But statistically, lower point holders have a better chance to draw the tag because the combined point holders in the low tiers account for more 'chances' than of an individual higher point holder.

02-Mar-15
It is my understanding if they let a NR apply for a hunt, there will be at least 1 tag available. May not be a bonus/max point tag, but at least 1 tag.

02-Mar-15
You may be right TX although I thought that this scenario happened to a couple of Bowsite guys a few years ago. Either way, your odds go to the basement quick when you start competing for a single tag.

Perhaps Wapitibob or another draw guru will chime in and set the record straight.

02-Mar-15
Robb is the Utah guy. I believe with only 1 tag it goes to random, same as the odd tag when multiples are issued for a hunt code.

Robb may know but perhaps a RAC pack would have tentative tag numbers? When I drew I had the tentative tag numbers before the draw closed.

02-Mar-15

02-Mar-15
yes. One tag, it will be in the random, equal chance for all pool. I remember it use to be there needed to be more than 10 tags to residents before there was 2 non resident tags given. the thought of hunting elk in mid August doesnt excite me. i may have to rethink (again) my plan to hunt elk in Utah with a bow. Maybe go for a less desirable elk unit, any weapon tag and hunt with my bow. As it would take me another 20 years or more to draw the San Juan any weapon tag.

03-Mar-15
Your best bow dates will be next year when they roll back. archery will never displace rifle hunts in the rut in Utah so that's something to ponder.

03-Mar-15
Utah has the dumbest season dates of any western state!

03-Mar-15
Norseman, you're correct, if only one permit, it goes to the draw in the regular permits pool. There is no equal chance for all pool. Bonus points ARE taken into account in the random draw and each person receives a random drawing number for each bonus point for that species. And I hear you on how much time raising kids requires... (if you're doing it right) Good luck pulling that San Juan tag this year!

03-Mar-15
+1 Midwest.

03-Mar-15
So Bob, will the Archery dates go through Sept 11th or the 16th next year (2016)?

03-Mar-15
Season dates are pretty cool if you like to hunt two states the same year.

03-Mar-15
16th I believe. Season ended on the 17th when I hunted there. Bulls got stupid the last 2 days. They bugled pretty good from Sept 1 on.

• Sitka Gear