John Mikulecky 04-Mar-15
Mule Power 04-Mar-15
Bowboy 04-Mar-15
Franzen 04-Mar-15
John Mikulecky 08-Mar-15
badbull 08-Mar-15
BowCrossSkin 09-Mar-15
03-Mar-15
Hi, I don't post on here to often, but I read the posts everyday. I didn't draw a Wyoming tag for the first time since i started applying, Usually every other year. I'm a non resident. I haven't been elk hunting since 2013. So, what would be my other options if I were to try and apply in a other state. I try looking at the license types in other states & it makes my head spin. I had a partner who I hunted with, who doesn't want to hunt this year. I asked my son if he would be interested, & he seems very serious about going. He doesn't hunt but wants to go along for the DIY thing. Any options or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been thinking about OTC Colorado. Is there any other states that have OTC tags? I am in very good shape & have killed a couple elk DIY with my friend. I don't mind having to hike in a few miles to get away from other hunters. I have hunted withe Grizzlies & that does't bother me either. Just looking for a point in the right direction, not for any honey holes. Thanks so much.

03-Mar-15
You can put in for New Mexico. It's a pure lottery state with great hunting, but generally poor odds of drawing. Odds of drawing a trophy unit unguided are usually a fraction of one percent. There are lower tier units with good hunting with odds in the 5-10% chance of drawing unguided. If you want to go guided, there's a guided pool with better odds.

Idaho has OTC tags.

Montana has leftover bull/buck tags.

Oregon has OTC tags.

Washington has OTC tags.

03-Mar-15
Colorado has OTC Tags

03-Mar-15
utah has OTC tags

03-Mar-15
John, I have never hunted Montana, but if I was in your situation and didn't want a leftover Wyo tag, that's where I would look to.

03-Mar-15
Montana will be way less crowded than Colorado OTC. I live in Colorado, and love to hunt Montana if that is any help. Last year I hunted OTC in Colorado because I did not draw what I wanted and it was as bad of a zoo as I have ever experienced. I still found elk, but solitude is a big part of the experience for me.

04-Mar-15
Ditto midwest and grasshopper on Montana.

04-Mar-15
Thanks to all the responses. I will look into some of these states. Looks like another snow storm coming to the east, I will have some time to research.

04-Mar-15
Montana

04-Mar-15
Yep Montana!

04-Mar-15
WY Leftover for sure.

08-Mar-15
Has anyone applied for the 900-20 tag in Montana? Looking at the drawing opportunities, it looks like you can hunt several different areas with this tag. Would this be considered a general tag, like in Wyoming, or an archery tag? Looks like pretty good odds of drawing. Again thanks for all your help. John

08-Mar-15
IMO OTC Colorado can be tough due to hunting pressure unless you have special knowledge of a specific unit.

09-Mar-15
I was just about to post information on finding elk in highly populated areas where hunters are rampant and pressure is extreme. Maybe ill write a book instead. :)

• Sitka Gear