IdyllwildArcher 04-Mar-15
Elkhuntr 05-Mar-15
MathewsMan 05-Mar-15
MathewsMan 05-Mar-15
Jaquomo 05-Mar-15
welka 14-Mar-15
Charlie Rehor 14-Mar-15
04-Mar-15
I am looking for a hunt to take my dad on. We are looking for a guided hunt, I will be using a bow and him a rifle. He is 68 years old and in decent shape. We live in Ohio and would prefer a place we could drive in 2-3 days? Any information on guides/places would be great. We are limited to funds somewhat and I am not even sure what costs would really look like.

04-Mar-15
What is your budget?

Unless you do a Ranching for Wildlife ranch hunt $$$$$$, you'll be looking at the Oct-Nov rifle seasons in CO to be able to use both weapons. However, there are some Private Land Only rifle cow tag hunts (actually, any weapon) that coincide with the archery season, when the weather is much better and they'll be bugling. The NR cow tag is half price.

For any sort of guided hunt, 2 on 1 (guide) you should expect to start at about $1,000 a day each, plus tag cost and tip, and prices go up from there.

Hopefully some of the outfitter sponsors will chime in here. If not, look them up on this site and ask them about their options for what you want to do.

04-Mar-15
There's no place in the lower 48 that you can't drive to in 2-3 days.

New Mexico is an option. You can put in under the guided pool. There's some good deals out there. Do some shopping online and then come back with questions about specific operations. There's so many folks who read Bowsite that it's uncommon to ask about a specific outfitter and not get a response.

If money is an issue, look into paying for private land access that is "semi-guided" or just access and stay in a motel.

Bow and Arrow Adventures is a Bowsite sponsor that just arranges guided hunts. If you contacted them with your needs and how much you're willing to spend, they'll give you some options.

05-Mar-15
Thanks J and Wildarcher......How would the pay for private land access work semi guided? also the Bow and Arrow Adventures seems interesting? I will look into that as well. Again thanks for the help. My dad is a Vietnam Wounded vet and it's been a dream of ours to take an adventure like this for many many years.....time goes by so fast we are pushing much harder at this time.

05-Mar-15
consider an antelope hunt in Wyoming at one of the bowsite sponsors. you will see lots of game and depending on your budget and dates/location of hunt, you might be able to include deer? it will be a great all-around experience for you and your Dad. Enjoy!

05-Mar-15
The WY antelope hunt would be reasonable and higher success than Elk. Elk and Moose hunts seem to be everyone who does not live near them desire. Yet, probably two of the toughest western game to connect with.

05-Mar-15
Thanks Elk, and Mathewsman...... something to consider..... What would you think on a mid range budget the success rate for Elk and Mose would be first time even with a guide?

05-Mar-15
My advice to good friends is usually to start by attempting to get a cow. One of my best friends who has hunted with me numerous years has not connected on an elk yet.

I have tried to tell him that a Cow Shiras Moose tag in Colorado may be a little pricey, like 3 years worth of E/S Elk tags, but the success rates are extremely good and you would harvest one of the rarest of western states trophies.

Most of the Non-Resident tags do not even get applied for, so you would more than likely have 100% draw odds your first year you apply for the tag. As a resident, the Cow Moose licenses are in the draw odds with the BEST Bighorn Ram archery resident tags. Pretty difficult to draw.

05-Mar-15
Be careful with the private land access fee/semi-guided (somebody on the ranch points you to where there were elk last week). Some I know intimately let in too many hunters, and by the second week of the season they're out of elk. The guys who paid to hunt there then start branching out into public land to find elk.

Definitely check with Scott at BNAA. Bowsite sponsor. He can work with your dad's abilities and budget. Really, elk hunt prices are all over the map depending upon how you want to be taken care of, trophy quality, lodging, etc, etc..

14-Mar-15
Agree with calling Scott and also Mule Power might be able to help. Both likely will have several options on cost and location. As Jaq mentions, cost can be all over the place. Since a $$ value hasn't been stated yet, you probably need to be planning on $5000 per person (all in - guide, food, license, travel, etc). Also, whoever you choose to go with, you need to have them give you references for clients they have guided for hunters close to 70 as that is a different situation.

14-Mar-15
Idyll is right and also Canada! Consider Alberta!

• Sitka Gear