wildwilderness 05-Mar-15
Inshart 05-Mar-15
thomas 05-Mar-15
thomas 05-Mar-15
Dwayne 05-Mar-15
mixed bag 05-Mar-15
txhunter58 06-Mar-15
04-Mar-15
I know you guys have probably gotten this question a million times, but where should I start to get into bow hunting?

I live in Crested Butte so I normally hunt 55 in rifle season, but I know the terrain in 54, 53 and 521 pretty well as well. I'm looking to do an OTC tag for either 53 or 521. How do the tactics differ from 3rd season other than the elk obviously being up higher during bow season? How far away will elk possibly hear calls and will calls work on cows as well? Sorry for the dumb questions, but looking to get my feet wet in the bow world this year and reading the threads has already gotten me excited!

04-Mar-15
Elk aren't necessarily any higher during bow season. They are where they are - high, low, in-between. Scout in the summer, and where you find them then is where they'll likely be when the season starts. Where they go after that depends on pressure and whether there's a big snow during the season. I know places where they go up during archery season due to pressure from below.

Since you know those units and live close by, start there. You're already ahead of the game.

Cows will respond to cow calls, especially lost calf calls. How far they can hear depends on a lot of variables - wind, terrain, humidity.

For specific questions, do a search for key words on the Bowsite elk threads and you'll find the answer. I believe everything that can possibly be discussed about elk has been hashed-out already.

Good luck, and shoot the first legal elk that gives you a good shot.

04-Mar-15
I started out as a bowhunter 31 years ago after my first year rifle hunting. Pretty much only bowhunted since then.

There is a lot more information available today than back in the early 80's, 70's. Heck in the early 1960's most of the bowhunters just hunted along with the rifle seasons. Guys like Marv Clynke got seasons established and pioneered bowhunting in Colorado- we all have to be a bit thankful for them and their efforts. Join the CBA, attend some leagues, or meet some guys who might take you into the group and learn from someone who has been doing it successfully. Mentor's are great if you can find one.

Read up, the articles and technology, and equipment has changed over the years. Most of the stuff on the market today has evolved a long way from the early compound days.

Traditional archery has stayed much the same, arrows, strings, maybe not.

The primary difference in bowhunting is you have to learn how to hunt- whereas rifle hunting things are not usually as critical. Using the wind, movement, learning the game, that's where the differences lye. There is a learning curve as in anything- you can't go buy golf clubs and expect to be an expert at it without dedicating some time and effort.

For me, it is really frustrating attempting to teach my son how to hunt (he primarily only wants to rifle hunt), so sadly I push the whole archery mentality at him when taking him rifle hunting, which is not really necessary. Kind of overkill if he never gets the bowhunting itch.

Its touch to remember that he can shoot 200 yards and that we don't have to get under 40 yards to have success. Shutting my way of hunting off to do it with him is a challenge for both of us.

Bowhunting some species is more conducive to beginners than others. Of course, it is always good to be in the right place at the right time, and luck is not a bad thing!

04-Mar-15
Sounds like you already know your area. So you should have a pretty good idea as to the where abouts of elk. There is nothing like the school of hard knocks to learn about bowhunting. However, there are a lot of good hunters right here on bowsite to help you out. But beware, there are also a bunch of wannabees as well.

One thing is for sure. You'll learn more about hunting elk the first year you bow hunt than you will in 10 years of chasing them with a rifle.

04-Mar-15
thanks for the replies. Yea, It's definitely going to be like a school of hard knocks. I'm going in this first season with no expectations and just to try and learn as much as I can. Being out there that time of year is rewarding enough.

I know that hunting during traditional rifle seasons is tough, especially for OTC units that get a lot of pressure. I will glass/scout and see elk in my go-to areas all summer and into fall almost every evening I go out all the way up until first rifle, then you won't see them out in the open ever during daylight hours. It's amazing how they all just seem to disappear. It's pretty much a game of go into the deep woods and find them.

I take it that during archery season this makes it much easier to scout and get into the elk, although much harder to get close enough to get a chance at taking one?

05-Mar-15
The best way to learn to call is to listen to elk. You will figure out soon enough how it works. If in doubt do not call! If you don't have the confidence to make the sound you want when you want it then work on it till you can.

The other big part to starting Bowhunting is shooting a bow, and getting set up correctly with arrows, broadheads, etc. How long have you been shooting a bow?

05-Mar-15
Join an archery club if you have one in your area ... could give you a lot of information - and always fun to shoot 3d's in the summer.

05-Mar-15
i hunted 55 around crested butte a couple yrs ago. Archery hunted and had a great hunt. A lot of elk bugling and rutting. I think you probably have half the battle won with knowing the area and where the elk are. That's the biggest key in my opinion is simply finding them.

05-Mar-15
i hunted 55 around crested butte a couple yrs ago. Archery hunted and had a great hunt. A lot of elk bugling and rutting. I think you probably have half the battle won with knowing the area and where the elk are. That's the biggest key in my opinion is simply finding them.

05-Mar-15

Dwayne's Link
It has been a long time since I started elk hunting but I do remember one thing - Dwight Schuh's book entitled "Bugling for Elk: A Complete Guide to Early-Season Elk Hunting." I just about wore the pages off the book before my first elk hunting trip.

I haven't looked at it for a while but I bet most of what he wrote back then is still valid. It is a classic and worth reading!

The link I provided is to the book on Amazon.com

05-Mar-15
I've had very good luck in unit 55.Its an easy unit to draw.I never ran into any pressure in there.Think you'll find bowhunting elk way more fun then 3rd season rifle.The elk will tellyou if they are there or not but starting high is a good idea.Living close,you can build yourself a nice camp a few miles in ahead of time

06-Mar-15
There area a lot of how too videos out there. Most are elk hunts with a little "how to" thrown in. The best ones I have seen are made by Elknut: http://www.elknut.com/ His are not hunting videos but 100% how to. He explains what the elk are saying and what and how to say the right thing back to them.

I recommend the 3 video pack (Volumes 1,2, and 4.

You will not be sorry.

• Sitka Gear