GregE 30-Jul-18
SixLomaz 30-Jul-18
CS816 31-Jul-18
MontanaScabbards 06-Aug-18
carcus 07-Aug-18
GregE 09-Aug-18
c3 10-Aug-18
04-Mar-15
Looking for suggestions for a good bow carrier for my mountain bike. I've seen several and have my ATV bow holders but none I've seen looked like the best option.

04-Mar-15
I'd be interested in this as well! It would make the approach and back down the trail much better.

http://montanascabbards.com/scabbards/

this is the only one I know of, but I've never heard of how well it works.

04-Mar-15
We just use bow slings and wear them or strap them onto our packs.

04-Mar-15
Honestly I would be kinda scared to strap mine to my handle bars. I ain't so good at riding 2 wheel bicycles without training wheels!

--Jim

04-Mar-15
I spent a lot of time with a bow and bike last year. There is no generic best one. Sight, quiver, riser shape all play into it. I ended up with the bolt on Y shaped ones then made longer risers to get my Hoyt to fit. I also swapped between mounting to bike vs strapped to pack. On the bike made the ride easier over the same roads.

04-Mar-15
If there are MB carriers that work well for a surfboard, somebody should have a good one for a bow.

04-Mar-15
Lou, as mentioned, I have found the best way is to strap them onto your pack IMO, and as low as possible to keep from hitting anything above your head, I use to strap mine onto the handle bars via ATV gun/bow mounts but this just shook the crap out of the bow and lost arrows and parts from the bow, just not good on bows, this included when I used my recurve as well. I'll try and find the pictures I have and post them up.

04-Mar-15
I have used the montana scabbard quite a bit hunting whitetails in WI. I mostly biked on old logging roads that where shut down to motorized travel. The scabbard work very well and I was able to strap down my pack and stand on the bikes rear rack without any interference from the scabbard. I also like having the bow in the scabbard rather then on the handle bars.

04-Mar-15
Good ideas here, and thanks. I ran into a couple guys last year who had homemade handlebar racks, and they were zooming right along on the closed logging roads. That's where I'll use mine.

I'm going to try the Tom Miranda method of arrow carrying this year and remove the bow quiver on my mechanical bow, so not too worried about arrows rattling out.

Some of those "yoga pants" on the 420 thread look like they'd make good bow holders...

04-Mar-15
On a side note, one suggestion that I make is to throw on a pair of clear safety glasses. The tip of one low hanging branch that you don't see because your headlamp is directed at the trail could ruin more than one day's hunt.

04-Mar-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
I haven't used a mountain bike for many years (the photo is from 1990). I tried everything back then to carry my bow, and finally gave up and just carried it strapped on in a bow case. The vibration on any bike mount was just unacceptable, and an unprotected bow was just not worth the risk in the (unlikely?) event of a fall. I never did crash, but there was that one night I came down the old road after dark in a snowstorm. Everything, including me, was totally iced up, and there were a couple of close calls. I also never used it to actively hunt. Just a quicker way to the trail head.

04-Mar-15
I think the back rack carrier may be the best way to go for my application. I'm traveling a couple wide logging roads so side-side clearance will not be a problem.

I felt sort of stupid this year after walking in two miles in the dark every morning when hunting these spots, then to have a couple guys zoom right on past me. I have the bike, ride it all the time for fitness, and had a major "duh" when they came by.

04-Mar-15
Or you could do what everyone else does and just ride your ATV on it anyways.

04-Mar-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
This is what I use I rode 1000's of miles on my motorcycle and my horse using it. and I any time I'm hunting this is how I carry my bow

04-Mar-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
In use

04-Mar-15
Dan, I have one similar and will try it.

Ike, I hear that. In may places the USFS has done a good job of piling up beetle-kill tangles to prevent ATVS from accessing, but some a-holes like to use their chainsaws on those too...

04-Mar-15
As stated above- bow to packs and stand/blind to back rack. Handle bars would be way too rough on a bow, or at least on mine. Not to mention how many trees I have clipped with my handle bars. I guess if you were on a logging road might not worry about trees but the front forks will still make a ton of vibration- even on high end bikes.

04-Mar-15
I have done the bow on the handlebars and won't do it again. I really like Big Dan's strap.

04-Mar-15
Lou, I use my sling similar to Dan when transporting on my mountain bike to the range here in town or other wise. I like it because I feel it will absorb any rough rides or vibration that otherwise the bow would be more suceptible too if riding on clamps, etc fixed to the bike. Just seems too ridgid for me.

05-Mar-15
Lou, I ended up using a bungee cord on my horseback trips, because I liked having a little bit of a "shock absorber" when there were bumps. I don't know if I will hunt on horses again, but would possibly consider a bungee cord setup with a couple of modifications. Keep us posted on any solutions you find. Good luck!!

05-Mar-15
The guy gets a new joint and all the sudden he's Lance Armstrong.

Lay off the steroids Lou. We saw what it's doing to you. It all ends the same: Big tree, little acorns.

06-Mar-15
At one point in time I made a plywood back "fender" for my bike. Fastened that to the axle with tubing. Mounted bow holders to that and was able to transport bow in an almost vertical position so I didn't have to worry about width clearance. It worked ok but as of late I am just using a sling like most others.

06-Mar-15
If this dang snow will ever melt I plan to try the sling with my hunting pack to see how it feels. I have a sling, never used it.

Ike, is the "new joint" comment a double entendre nice I live in CO? :)

Lance, yep. Its the blood doping that keeps me this young and studly at 60. I'm careful to not leave syringes laying around on the trail though. That would give the wrong impression!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Lots of good options to consider.

06-Mar-15
We know that thing was a fatty, you damn hippy.

06-Mar-15

Russell 's embedded Photo
Russell 's embedded Photo
Missing the bow, but you can see the two holders on the front. Works good for me.

06-Mar-15
I have used the same setup as RUSSELL for the past 15 years and it carries the BOW without a problem. I use a bungie to secure it.

I use a trailer that I fashioned out of a deer hauler that hooks to a ring hung off my seat to haul the stands in and the stands and the deer out.

I hunt about 4 miles back on a firelane dirt road.

Setup works great.

06-Mar-15
Dan who made the strap or is that custom Lewis

06-Mar-15
I had a local gal make them for me and I sold them in my archery shop. Martin made one but the buckles were to big. They were called double spare arms.

12-Mar-15
I was thinking I would have to have my bow cased to comply with CO Game Regs while on the bike. I have a soft case to cover compliance, but the handle bar yokes seem sketchy on the trail. On NFS double track should not be too bad.

Elk-n

12-Mar-15

KZ15's embedded Photo
KZ15's embedded Photo
This works for me, but my bow is probably longer and lighter then yours.

12-Mar-15
Elk-n, CO regs for cases bows only apply to motorized vehicles. Nothing in there about bicycles or horses.

KZ, your bow looks like a load compared to my bows. The Black Widow I had was pretty heavy compared to my custom longbows and receives.

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

26-Mar-15
Never liked the idea of strapping the compound bow onto the front bars "bow holder" because of the constant rattling and vibration.

Like some others, strapping the bow and carrying it over the shoulder or attached to ones backpack seems like a good option: one that protects the bow and attachments.

In Colorado's high country the back roads are not always flat and without holes/rocks.

my best, Paul

26-Mar-15
Thanks, Paul. One closed road I use is pretty smooth. It was recently used to fight a fire before being gated and closed. I'm still weighing all the great ideas posted here.

Thanks to all for the input!

27-Mar-15
They don't rattle after you put 230# of a$$ and hunting pack on the seat.

27-Mar-15
I have a soft bow case. I put my bow in case and strap it to my pack. It looks a little funny I suppose, (Look like I am trying to get air born). But it works for me.

It wouldn't work in tight spaces. But open trails, just fine.

27-Mar-15
I have a badlands 2200 pack and strap mine to the back of it with the bow gun sling. The bike is a great idea. I have used it on old logging roads in Colorado and it saves a lot of time.

27-Mar-15
Here is the exact hauler I have used for probably the past 15 years. Just drilled a whole through the handle end and attached a ring to the hauler and a snap hook under the seat. Do Not attempt to make this a "solid" connection. If you do it doesnt allow for terrain variations. Have seen some copy cats on my ride back with a solid connection broken down using rope for the connection. This model works particularly well because the curve in the hauler goes over the back wheel. A couple of bungies and you are all set. Hauled out at least a dozen with this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/After-the-Shot/Game-Carts-Carriers%7C/pc/104791680/c/104689980/sc/104353380/Cabelas-Alum-i-Lite-Game-Cart/1206645.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FGame-Carts-Carriers%2F104353380.uts&WTz_l=undefined%3Bcat104353380

05-Jul-18
Any new ideas in the last three years.

05-Jul-18

bowhunter1's embedded Photo
bowhunter1's embedded Photo

05-Jul-18
I DON'T like the rack on the Rambo. When you lose balance (and you will) and the bike tips over what hits the ground first? The bow cams. When a tree jumps out at you at the edge of the trail what hits the tree first? The bow cams.

I'd never strap my bow to the handlebars. Backpack or trailer.

05-Jul-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Get a Gearhead bow along with their backpack fits perfect. Bow weighs practically nothing would be perfect for an elk hunter. Got mine in today.

05-Jul-18
Smarba, you are correct if I was riding trails but I ride fireroads that are closed to vehicle's,,this makes the ride very comfortable ,,Tom

06-Jul-18
Years ago I designed one that attached to the rear rack on a mountain bike and it ran parallel with the frame so it stuck out the back rather than sticking out crossways. I actually looked into the patent process and reserved the patent for 5 years. I shopped around for a company to help with manufacturing and promotion but I eventually gave up. I used mine for quite a while and it worked well.

06-Jul-18
Cheese, I tried something very similar to what you describe but made it nearly vertical and parallel with the rear wheel behind the seat. I ultimately determined my bow rode more smoothly lashed to my backpack.

10-Jul-18

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
Look up Montana Bow scabbard. I have had one mounted on my GT Rebound for over 15 years. Can carry bow or long gun. Hope this helps.

LaGriz

10-Jul-18
I finally went with the Rambo rear scabbard. After I posted this original thread I did the handlebar thing like bowhunter1. Until my first wreck. Luckily the bike ended up in a spruce and my bow was ok, but having that extra weight on the handlebars contributed to the loss of control, I believe.

Carrying a compound on a pack was fine. Not so much for a recurve or a longbow.

30-Jul-18

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
I wrap some pipe insulation foam around mounts and have no excessive vibration issues.

30-Jul-18
Use a 3 pieces take-down recurve or longbow. Stick the parts in the backpack. Problem solved for traditional bows.

31-Jul-18
I have a soft bowcase with backpack straps. I don't know why that wouldn't work with an electric bike.

06-Aug-18

MontanaScabbards's embedded Photo
Rambo 550 with Montana Scabbard
MontanaScabbards's embedded Photo
Rambo 550 with Montana Scabbard

MontanaScabbards's Link
Montana Scabbards work great for carrying bows or rifles. Weapon is carried in an upright position behind the bike seat. Very stable, lightweight and safe. Check out the above post from LaGriz - been using a Montana Scabbard for over 15 years. Great to see that!!!

07-Aug-18
My fanny pack with shoulder straps has a bow carrier, works great

09-Aug-18

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
Newer bike with Pack Rack and bungy to help secure the bow . Use care going past trees and limbs- the bow sticks out about 1' wider than the handle bars

I've been using this method over 25 years and never had an issue with the bow being damaged in the carrier rack. I have dumped the bike and have the scars to prove it. Mostly my fault- a patch of ice in a corner got me later this day.

10-Aug-18
Still after three years of trying to sort this for both mtn and dirt bikes, I've come to the conclusion that bike mounted racks are a disaster. You simply can't keep the bow safe from a simple tip over.

I keep all my fancy camera gear and bow on my pack where I have a much better chance to protect it.

Cheers, Pete

• Sitka Gear