orionsbrother 05-Mar-15
fred 05-Mar-15
TD 05-Mar-15
IdyllwildArcher 06-Mar-15
Halibutman 06-Mar-15
orionsbrother 06-Mar-15
04-Mar-15

midwest's Link
Wow....expensive tag, but I bet they'd sell quick!

04-Mar-15
wow hunting is going to the rich

04-Mar-15
I doubt this will ever happen, but hope that it does. Can you imagine the anti crowd at the entrance to the park??

04-Mar-15
That tag price isn't new, but the possible National Park access would be.

It's more of a possibility with the current congress, but doubtful under the current administration and Park Service hierarchy.

If bison are going to die in the National Park, it's more likely that park officials (or hired guns) will mow them down, 2 or 3 people killing dozens, which is unfortunate.

The tag price though, is, IMO, ridiculous. I just don't understand any state charging north of $1500 for any NR tag, and that includes NM, OR, CO, ID, and WY to AZ who have at least one over-priced NR tag.

04-Mar-15
G&F charges that much because people are willing to pay. One of the only places eligible for P&Y. And iabout as hard to draw as sheep tag.

04-Mar-15
All three of those points are facts.

A fourth fact is that the tag is ridiculously overpriced.

04-Mar-15
If they have tags left unsold then they were overpriced.

05-Mar-15
Bison prices for AZ residents have been around a grand for many, many years and they are still one of the toughest draws in the state.

05-Mar-15
Also every year the auction tag sells for about 14K

05-Mar-15
"Ridiculously expensive" and "overpriced" are two very different things.

05-Mar-15
Correct. I'm sorry. The tag is ridiculously expensive.

5 points, I think MT recently had an auctioned sheep tag that went for $300,000. An AZ elk tag auctioned for that as well.

Those aren't tags for regular hunters. Those are fund raisers for wealthy hunters. When all we have left is fund raisers for wealthy hunters, we all lose cause it's back to the king's forest.

The state government departments of fish and game are in place to manage the wildlife that belongs to the people, not exploit limited resources for financial gain and price people out due to market value. This is not a for-profit company, it's the government.

I'm all for free-market enterprise. That's not what this is. The government is in place to provide things that are inherently good for society, but not money-makers, ie: roads, police, fire control, defense, managing wildlife...

I could poach 365 days a year and get away with it. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

The government can also tax us into oblivion. Just because people will pay it, doesn't make it right.

05-Mar-15
x 10 IdyllwildArcher

05-Mar-15
idyllwildarcher, i disagree with your statement the government has taxed us to oblivion. some reports state that we work til august to pay our tax debt. Government became 'for profit' several years ago and we are all suffering. That being said I have 15 bonus points for buffalo here in AZ and a credit card my wife does not know about, put me at the front of the line for the next AZ buffalo draw.

05-Mar-15
i never understand the "hunting is becoming a rich man's sport". it is no different than it has ever been proportionally. yo can hunt common stuff in common places for next to nothing. go hunt a deer in the back 40 and you and do it for gas and a $25 resident tag. that is hunting.

what is expensive is hunting special game in special places. you want to play in that arena then you pay special prices. yes so what.

fishing is the same.........bass in the pond out back or marlin on the other side of the world. both are fishing, but if you desire special fish in special places......guess what............you pay special prices.

what is not like that in life. mcdonalds vs. a 5 star restaurant........the list is endless. if you can't afford or don't want to afford the extraordinary then accepted the ordinary and don't complain or begrudge others theirs.

05-Mar-15
fred with 15 points i wish u well !

05-Mar-15
Amen, Bou!

05-Mar-15
Thanks CityHunter, luck will be involved to get drawn on this one. i believe max points is around thirty.

05-Mar-15
Doesn't all the money from a state issued auction tag go to conservation? Why would anyone oppose that?

Think critically for a moment, and consider the utility of all that private money being used to grow the numbers and habitat for a highly sought after species. The end result will be MORE hunting opportunities, not less. The end result will be MORE species availability, not less. The end result will be MORE of EVERYTHING available to EVERYONE. That is not just good....it's wonderful!

I wish these tags would all sell for 10 million dollars a piece and all that cash would be used to buy and manage more habitat and increase the range and number of the species that brought the money in. That would just be incredible.

Also, as a caveat, one might consider how the money is NOT from taxes....and yet it benefits the collective. Bully for this sort of program! I'm all about more programs like this one, which by my assessment seems to privatize a very small portion of a collective resource and pay for the entire public to enjoy the rest of it!

To the OP, sorry for the minor hijack.

05-Mar-15
whitetail deer hunting in Virginia, today is astronomically less expensive than it was in 1955.

in '55 dad and granddad would load up the '49 Ford, drive 4 hours (one way) to Mouth of Wilson in Grayson County (there were deer there) over US Highway 221, US 58, and some gravel-tracks to a camp where they had a paid membership.

Gas was around 30 cents a gallon, the old Ford burned probably close to 50 gallons on the 300-plus mile round trip on those mountain roads (and two quarts of oil) .....add in a couple boxes of saltines, a case of viennas and pork n beans (the game-changing beanee-weenee was not invented yet) a pint of liquor per man, and a $6.00 box of .30-30 "shells" and a $5 quart of white liquor and it took a real chunk out of a man's $55 a week paycheck.....

if you stayed in camp the whole two weeks, (unpaid vacation) hunted hard, you might get a shot at an antlered buck, and if you didn't, or missed, and were REALLY lucky, in years where the last day was "doe day" you still might get some venison....

05-Mar-15
Bou, I definiteky understand your point but I believe it IS different than it has ever been. It is no longer "next to nothing" to hunt some of the most common animals hunted here in the U.S. At least in my geography. In my lifetime, the price of an elk tag has almost tripled! I wish that wages would've tripled during that same period. Hell it's expensive to put in for javelina anymore. Every year I put my wife and kids and I in for hunts it gets harder and harder. In recent years I have been fortunate enough to even throw in an out of state deer hunt. But on the cheap it costs me $1,000 to hunt the most populous animal in the U.S.! I would love to draw one of these buffalo tags one year, but truthfully, I've never put in. Way too much for me. And they roam only a few hours from my house, hardly exotic.

05-Mar-15
Here in SD this year applying for myself and the rest of my family for elk tags with the proposed application fee increases will cost me over $200 just for the chance to apply. None of us will draw a license based on where everyone is at points wise. Pretty good racket if you ask me but I'll still pay it because it's important to me. We'll just go camping one less weekend this summer.

05-Mar-15
Resident licenses (which obviously require the lowest travel cost) are VERY affordable. In Texas, you can legally kill 3 bucks and two does, as well as a pile of turkeys, and even a mule deer...all for less than $100. Heck, as a non-resident, it's only like $350. $100 doesn't buy much anymore, but it buys a pile of deer tags in Texas with beer money for the weekend left over.

Now, what the heck does that have to do with buffalo hunting in the park? Nothing.

I wish they would auction "park tags" in all the national parks. I can only imagine what that would generate for wildlife. Millions of dollars. On top of that, it would be one more opportunity to hunt. I'm in favor of that.

Can you imagine what a sheep tag in Denali might fetch? My bet is north of 100K. That would go a long way towards helping sheep with studies and boots on the ground without a single dollar in tax money.

05-Mar-15
Halibutman,

While that's definitely true in Texas, 95+% of the state is privately owned and it would take a significant amount of time, effort, and resources to fill all the tags (or any for that matter) on a TX license on public land. I know, I'm from TX and I tried through college when I had less access to private than where I grew up.

I see all sides, but comparing TX to most states out west is like comparing apples to icecream. So too is comparing bass to marlin. Damnit I love icecream though.

Regardless, there's a need for revenue generation from limited tags on trophy species, units, etc. Just like anything else, it takes ethical sportsman to manage such revenue and such auctions to moderation. However, 100% of that tag does not go to conservation, in many cases. Ask NvaGiveUp. He's one of the most knowledgeable people I've read or spoken with on this topic. When there's big money, there's always going to be someone trying to get their hand in the cookie jar. Hopefully Kyle will chime in.

IdlyWildArcher and AZBUGLER, 100% agree that 5K immediately cuts a large portion of the blue collar population out of the application process, myself included.

Healthy debate and good topic!

05-Mar-15
+1 Bou'

05-Mar-15
Fred, I never said the government "is" taxing us into oblivion, I said they "can," as in, they have the ability to raise taxes, something that most of us can agree on here as being undesirable. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. Just like the tag price.

Halibutman, I never said I opposed auction tags. You said that. In fact, I'm very much in favor of those tags. I was pointing out to a prior poster who pointed out that people pay 14K for the same tag in an auction and I was pointing out the disparity between the actual tag price and the auction price when compared with sheep and elk.

Bou'Bound, your argument lists two non-sequiturs.

First off, marlin on the other side of the world is apples and oranges. The costs of that is due to travel. We're talking about American game here. I can fish marlin cheaply literally 100 miles from my house. It's absolutely understandable that if you leave the U.S., as you're no longer in your/our country, that any fee could be levied. I'm talking about Arizona - the U.S.A., not Canada, not Africa, etc.

Secondly, your whole McDonalds vs 5 star restaurant argument doesn't apply here either as we're talking about private companies vs the government.

Yes, all kinds of things are more expensive in life. I don't live in a slum. I have a nice house. I have stuff equivalent to my pay grade and that's fine. But I drive on the same roads, I enjoy the same police and military protection, etc. No one should get priced out of the functions of government. It's not supposed to be there to cater only to the wealthy. It's whole existence is to provide the minimum services needed to a society necessary to promote stability of the society at the lowest cost to that society as possible (even if it does a poor job of it).

Yes, there's people who will pay it. There are people who will pay 300 grand for a sheep or elk tag too. Does that mean that every tag should go to the highest bidder? When you crash your car, should the paramedic hold an auction to see who can pay the most to go to the hospital first?

These animals belong to the people, not the government. The fee for hunting them should cover the cost of administering the function of government and not price working class folks out of the ability to hunt.

05-Mar-15
I didn't go ad hominem.... I was simply advocating in favor of auction permits. I would offer that more of them should lead to a lower cost per applicant for the lottery permits since cost could be covered by one or afew very large individual payments. It would be akin to a voluntary progressive tax system in which those who could afford more would BUY their improved access voluntarily. Sure, there are those who would condemn this as unfair.

As to Texas vs the west... The 1.5 million acres of public ground in Texas is mostly in the eastern part of the state. The deer density in this region is incredible. I would suggest that the opportunity to kill a deer here is excellent. I would also offer that in terms of deer numbers accessible, it's likely comparable to any western state where the density is much, much lower. More land doesn't necessarily equal more opportunity.

05-Mar-15
An auction tag or two to raise money is a good thing.

But like most good things it can be perverting into something else not good very quickly.

If they auction 15 tags and 13 of them have to come from the public draw.... not a good thing. As well as "others" start to circle when they smell money in the air.

Money to the government is like drugs to an addict. Once they get that income source they will never give it back. There is no amount a person could arbitrarily assign they could not find a way to spend. Yes they need money. How much they need and why.... what is the investment, the return/results....at what costs to something else.... that is the trillion dollar question...

05-Mar-15
I'm with Idyllwild on this. The game and fish departments manage these animals for the entire population. We all support this management with Pittman-Robertson funds.

I don't believe that tags should be a matter of what the market will bear. Draws mitigate the imbalance of supply falling short of demand.

I don't have a problem with some tags being put out for auction. I believe that it draws attention to the fact that these are valued resources.

But I don't believe that game and fish departments should price to maximize profit or run reverse auctions for all of the tags. Profit is not their purpose or mission.

In the end, I think that kind of approach will preclude many individuals from any participation and be detrimental to the future of hunting as a whole.

05-Mar-15
IdyllwildArcher You did not say that at all. I did. Here in AZ it cost about 100 dollars for a resident deer tag with a hunting license. 200 dollars for a resident elk tag with a hunting license and you could buy four or five butterballs for a turkey tag with a hunting license. My only disagreement with your opinion is on taxation, Government stopped worrying about the people long ago we are nothing more than Governments version of a savings account. I especially agree with you AZ being part of the US not some foreign outpost. Fred

05-Mar-15
I only WISH it was a savings account....

in reality what they have is a credit card....and apparently can raise the limit themselves with a wave of the hand.....

06-Mar-15
I misunderstood you fred because you didn't place a period between "statement" and "the." As one sentence, it means something completely different.

The way it sits, it looks like you're defending the current tax code.

I'm glad we agree on this.

06-Mar-15
"Draws mitigate the imbalance of supply falling short of demand"

I completely disagree. I think they exacerbate the discrepancy. I think there are a boat load of applicants that don't even hunt the tags, especially in states like Alaska where you're not required to pay full freight to apply. I also think there are a ton of applicants for "points only" pretty much everywhere as a "just in case" strategy for the future.

Premium places will always bring premium prices. I am not suggesting all tags be offered at auction. I am supporting the fact that some are, and that the funds could be used to help the species and habitat. Of course they are often mismanaged.... That's a whole other issue.

I would support auction hunts in national parks. Maybe then they could reduce the budget shortfalls they have and stay open during the "shut downs", or even eliminate the entry fees? Imagine that!

06-Mar-15
Anyone who wants to buy points and never use them is OK by me.

And I'm only speaking in reference to the tag prices. I'm only saying that I don't think that tags should be profit centers.

Premium places may demand a greater likelihood of premium prices for travel and logistics. To go with Bou's marlin comment...how much did the fishing license cost to pursue that marlin? Your odds of success may indeed be far greater with the water that you can cover aboard a 60' Hatteras, but I think that the guy who wants to take a shot in a panga shouldn't be shut out by licensing costs.

I agree wholeheartedly that there should be hunting in national parks. I find that prohibition to be ridiculous.

Off subject, but on a tangent. I live in the Chicago Metropolitan area. The forest preserves are being turned into a near monoculture of garlic mustard for ground cover and buckthorn. The deer have eaten everything. Bowhunting is forbidden supposedly because of safety concerns. Instead, sharpshooters are paid to thin the herd at night with rifles.

• Sitka Gear