Mule Power 05-Mar-15
Elkaddict 05-Mar-15
Bake 05-Mar-15
jims 05-Mar-15
brettpsu 05-Mar-15
brettpsu 05-Mar-15
Jaquomo 05-Mar-15
04-Mar-15
When your packing back in , what or where do look to put your camp. in woods out of the woods up or down low?????

04-Mar-15
Off to the side of where I'm hunting so camp doesn't get caught in the daily thermals, but that's just my weird thing and probably doesn't matter.

Close to running water is important.

Some places you have no choice as the flat places are few or covered in 3-6 inches of water.

I try to be in a place that I think won't inhibit my hunting, far enough away from where the animals would have gone if my camp wasn't there, but I like to be 30-60 minutes hike from where I want to be, come first light. You're basically guessing at that point though. I've been where I thought I was 3 miles from elk and listened to bugles all night and you hear those stories over and over of guys making camp and listening to elk all night.

Consider the wind in the AM as you'll generally have wind in your face going uphill in the AM.

04-Mar-15
Not on a game trail, in a feeding area, or in a funnel to avoid being stepped on by elk while I sleep, or getting pilfered by bears.

Which is why I'm in timber. I like a tree to hang a food bag in. I like being in trees to spread the lightning risk around. They block the wind too, and make the rain fall more vertical than sideways. Young trees are better than old trees because they are less likely to fall and kill you while you sleep, and they weigh less. I double make sure no dead trees are around.

I put camp up high because it's warmer for sleeping than camping down low, and I can get by with a lighter bag and pad.

04-Mar-15
As IdlylwildArcher mentioned water is important. If in Wyo or other areas with 20 to 40 mph winds you may want to keep wind in mind. Try to camp away from obvious places that might disturb elk. If you are in Central Colo you may want to set up away from all the beetle kill trees!

04-Mar-15
I am only have two seasons under my belt and I have a short list for backpacking/spike camping.

1. Safe and free from beetle kill trees. 2. Dry 3. Reasonably flat 4. Near water 5. Near elk

This past fall I camped "in" elk a couple of times and was really surprised at how little it bothered them. I walked up a hill one morning in the dark, broke a stick, and cow called, because the bull was 200 yards from my tent and I wanted to sound "like a cow." He came to 10 yards and stood there, but it was still pitch black and I had no shot. The elk walked off and I called him into 50 yards less than an hour later 600 yards from my tent. I camped with the elk herd several times last fall and got into elk each and every day I camped near them. It may have been a fluke, tons of elk around, or just maybe I had "rookie luck." Either way, I would do it again and would hope for similar results.

04-Mar-15

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Along Jim's line of thinking, here's dad and I demonstrating a poor camp location in 2013.

More proof that a dummy in the woods is more dangerous to himself than the Grizz he walketh amongst.

04-Mar-15
++ on tree danger, and not just from beetle-killed pines.

Few years ago our camp was in big live aspens. Safe, right? So we had a big wet snowstorm, leaves were still on the trees, and a huge branch broke and plunged right through my tent like a sharpened spear, where I'd been laying about 30 minutes before.

Carnivore's point about temperature is right on. Being in the bottom of a drainage can be 10-15 degrees colder at night than uphill a little on a bench.

05-Mar-15
Why are the flat locations always amongst a grove of widow-makers?!

05-Mar-15
Damn Idyll that guy must have a death wish or be a real dumba$$. I agree that camping near elk can work. I'm talking about a minimal camp, just me, no fire, tucked in to some timber. Away from dead trees (aka: widow makers!)

05-Mar-15
My best camping spot is below where I expect to find elk in the morning. Edge of timber or preferably tucked in. (If the ground cover will allow it) you also want to be below the nighttime thermal drift if you are on the edge of a meadow. Elk might be out feeding during the night and you don't want them getting a whiff. Don't camp in the bottom! As mentioned it is not only cold, but damp. Dew on everything.

I have a spot in Wyoming where it is an old mule deer bed. On a flat spot at the upper lip of a creek bank, but slightly below game trails. I had elk come in on the trails as I was trying to sleep and they never spooked. Close enough I could here them breathing. Needless to say when the bull bugled 20 yards from my tent, sleep escaped me! They didn't have a clue.

Worst spot, NM hunt. I was camped in the upper reaches of a big meadow. First night, I had a big herd come into the meadow. Had Bulls bugling and chasing, cows chirping. They ran so close I thought I was going to get trampled to death.. Unfortunately I killed the spot. Mt scent continually drifted into that meadow and elk sitings went down to nothing. On top of that, I exper such a wind storm, my tarp smashed my face all night long.. Elk were fun to listen to at night, but that didn't punch a tag.

05-Mar-15
Plain and simple... I look for water up high. There are definitely places where a low camp is in order and I usually have horses then. Otherwise I get some elevation out of the way before I set camp.

05-Mar-15
What MP said. We camp high, around water, and always cold. We never have fires ever. Some people say fires don't affect elk, but I won't take the chance.

05-Mar-15
I like to camp where I've got shade, but also where I can get into the sun to warm up some if necessary.

Definitely not the lowest spot around. A bench of some type, where cold air won't pool at night and freeze me out.

Bake

05-Mar-15
Thumbs up to Elkaddict's post in regard to fires! Not only will you likely spook elk out of the country but all of your clothes and equipment will also reek of smoke!

05-Mar-15

brettpsu's embedded Photo
Like others, camp high near water with some cover. Got this buck not 300yds from camp on the 4th morning. I watched him two different mornings from a long ways off and on the 4th morning decided to ambush him before he got into the dark timber. We was not very careful with our scent from camp the whole time. He would walk within 100yds of our "toilet" every morning but it never seemed to effect him.

05-Mar-15

This is where I pitched the tent. Water was 50' below in the pines. Toilet was 100-150yds below that. The buck was shot in that small opening straight ahead.

05-Mar-15
Beautiful buck!! Looks like gamey country.

They don't mind toilets at all. Only the smell of the guy using it.

• Sitka Gear