Moultrie Mobile
Elk Hunting in Cloud Peak Wilderness
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Wooly Marmot 04-Mar-15
Topgun 30-06 04-Mar-15
IdyllwildArcher 04-Mar-15
04-Mar-15
For my first year as a Wyoming resident I plan on hunting elk in a general unit with a general tag. I am thinking of hunting at the Cloud Peak Wilderness in units 36 and 37, hopefully with horses, as they are right next to me. However, I've been told that these areas are sorta mediocre and am wandering if I should instead drive farther west and hunt wilderness in an area like 56, 60, 67, 69, or 70. So, do you think I would be wasting my time hunting wilderness in 36 or 37 and you do think my week out in the woods elk hunting would be better spent elsewhere? Sharing and personal experience about Cloud Peak would be highly appreciated.

04-Mar-15
There is very little of the wilderness area in unit 36, so you'd probably want to hunt the southeastern section in 37. That's where I'd go on horseback and you also won't have to worry about wolves or bears compared to going over on the west side.

04-Mar-15
I can't answer your question, but I just have to laugh as I hunt one of the areas "farther west" that you're considering as a NR and all the locals I've talked to the three years I've been querying them, have all basically said, "oh no, we don't hunt elk here! There's grizz here. We go to Southern WY and hunt BLM or east to the Little Bighorns."

You're a salmon swimming downstream my friend. Look at the units that are primarily wilderness and look at their success rates. Look at the resident success rates. Therein lies a story.

• Sitka Gear